Unskippable: SoulCalibur V

Pages PREV 1 2

I always hated this game. The story is ridiculous (comparatively) and it doesnt feel like a soul calibur game. I really hope they dont make 6-8 witht he same guy at the helm like he was saying.

yunabomb:

canadamus_prime:

From what little I could gather from the dialogue, I think that Graf guy was trying to find his kidnapped sister, but was also trying to root out places that were supposedly corrupted by the shards of Soul Edge which is the evil sword we saw the red guy using earlier. Although that Graf guy certainly comes across as just as evil and corrupt though.

Patroklos is the one trying to find his sister, Pyrrha. Pyrrha was kidnapped and is being raised by Tira (hoola hoop girl). Graf Dumas, actually Nightmare the wielder of Soul Edge, is just manipulating Patroklos.

Oh, ok. Glad we cleared that up. ...wait didn't Soul Edge get shattered in the previous scene?

canadamus_prime:

yunabomb:

canadamus_prime:

From what little I could gather from the dialogue, I think that Graf guy was trying to find his kidnapped sister, but was also trying to root out places that were supposedly corrupted by the shards of Soul Edge which is the evil sword we saw the red guy using earlier. Although that Graf guy certainly comes across as just as evil and corrupt though.

Patroklos is the one trying to find his sister, Pyrrha. Pyrrha was kidnapped and is being raised by Tira (hoola hoop girl). Graf Dumas, actually Nightmare the wielder of Soul Edge, is just manipulating Patroklos.

Oh, ok. Glad we cleared that up. ...wait didn't Soul Edge get shattered in the previous scene?

Soul Edge has been broken several times. Pieces of it got stuck in a pirate, other shards turned into a... thing, with a giant eyeball, that mimics other fighters.
God, Charade was the best character in these games.

The sword just grows back.

TheSchaef:
I seriously don't get the recent fascination with storybook cutscenes.

I mean, it was one thing when it was a PS2 game with minimal in-game cutscene capacity, though considering that Konami did full cutscenes for MGS1 even though it was the blocky PS1 faux-3d and none of the characters had any facial animation whatsoever.

But this is Soul Calibur, a franchise renowned for its gratuitous use of pre-rendered cutscenes (which these days could even be in-game and still be HD-quality). How in the world are they using, not even "still-imation" storybook images, but literal still-life illustrations with voiceover?

Forget 1/4 of the planned story, apparently they only bothered to do 1/4 of the planned RENDERING.

Guess it's Tekken Tag 2 for me.

its cheap

thats about it

Loop Stricken:

canadamus_prime:

yunabomb:

Soul Edge has been broken several times. Pieces of it got stuck in a pirate, other shards turned into a... thing, with a giant eyeball, that mimics other fighters.

Yes, I know that. The whole premise of Soul Calibur II, unless I'm mistaken, revolved around gathering those shards.
What I don't understand is how Graf whatever can be wielding it if it's in pieces. Don't several of the pieces have to be reunited before anyone can be said to be wielding it?

canadamus_prime:

Loop Stricken:

canadamus_prime:

Yes, I know that. The whole premise of Soul Calibur II, unless I'm mistaken, revolved around gathering those shards.
What I don't understand is how Graf whatever can be wielding it if it's in pieces. Don't several of the pieces have to be reunited before anyone can be said to be wielding it?

Fucked if I know. Didn't buy the game, primarily because Charade isn't in it.

Then again, it's meant to be set a fair few years after the sword was shattered. Maybe enough of them WERE assembled in the meantime?

Squirrel army

Loop Stricken:

canadamus_prime:

Loop Stricken:

Fucked if I know. Didn't buy the game, primarily because Charade isn't in it.

Then again, it's meant to be set a fair few years after the sword was shattered. Maybe enough of them WERE assembled in the meantime?

Squirrel army

I didn't buy it either. The only Soul Calibur games I've bought and played are II and IV. And the only one I really enjoyed was II.

SupahGamuh:
EDIT: and I just confused SCIV with SCV. I wish the series just ended with SC2 :<

For a lot of us, it did. /goes to pick up his Wavebird

Seriously, though, can anybody think of a fighter that didn't peak right around the second game? Soul Calibur II, Mortal Kombat II, IMO Tekken 3 was the best offering... I mean, which fighting game have you picked up and said, yeah, man, number five is the best one yet!

TheSchaef:

Seriously, though, can anybody think of a fighter that didn't peak right around the second game? Soul Calibur II, Mortal Kombat II, IMO Tekken 3 was the best offering... I mean, which fighting game have you picked up and said, yeah, man, number five is the best one yet!

Um... Soul Calibur V. SC2 was the best in terms of single player content. The quality of multiplayer in SCV, even with its problems, is the best of the series.

Anyone else think that blondie is missing an "o" in his names spelling? Because they call him Patrokolos, but it's spelled Patroklos, which makes it seem like they're pronouncing that L in a really stupid way. To me it always looked like it was pronounced pat-tro-klos...

Maybe i's just me.

Great video regardless.

They should remake Soul Calibur II with better graphics and combine it with SCV's Multiplayer. I'd imagine having hours of fun with that game, though they'd need to add in some new guest characters. Maybe have a vote of peoples favorites from the other games? Possibly give Ashlotte a move set that doesn't make her look like she is using some form of partial telekinesis?

"Ooh, they're making purple."
That has just become my favourite Unskippable line of all time.
I decided to sit this iteration of Soul Calibur out. The reviews just weren't selling me on it. Now I kind of want to play it, just to see if that story keeps up the pace of ridiculousness all the way through, or it just peters out and gets boring after an hour.

SonOfMethuselah:
"Ooh, they're making purple."
That has just become my favourite Unskippable line of all time.
I decided to sit this iteration of Soul Calibur out. The reviews just weren't selling me on it. Now I kind of want to play it, just to see if that story keeps up the pace of ridiculousness all the way through, or it just peters out and gets boring after an hour.

A little bit of Column A and a little bit of Column B. If I could go back in time I'd stop myself from buying the Collectors edition and rented the game from Game Fly.

Colt47:
A little bit of Column A and a little bit of Column B. If I could go back in time I'd stop myself from buying the Collectors edition and rented the game from Game Fly.

Buyer's regret, huh? Maybe it's best I didn't buy it. Sounds like holding off for Persona 4 Arena was a good choice: it's enough of a fighter for me, and I don't play 'em often enough to invest in them very often.

SonOfMethuselah:

Colt47:

Buyer's regret, huh? Maybe it's best I didn't buy it. Sounds like holding off for Persona 4 Arena was a good choice: it's enough of a fighter for me, and I don't play 'em often enough to invest in them very often.

Yeah, it isn't that the game was a horrible game as much as it just wasn't the Soul Calibur that I grew up with. Even though Soul Calibur IV wasn't the best in the series and probably not as good as SCV design wise, I played it a lot more due to the better balance between the single player experience and the multiplayer. Sometimes it just isn't about building the perfect fighting simulator as much as it is building on what makes the game interesting and unique.

Colt47:

Yeah, it isn't that the game was a horrible game as much as it just wasn't the Soul Calibur that I grew up with. Even though Soul Calibur IV wasn't the best in the series and probably not as good as SCV design wise, I played it a lot more due to the better balance between the single player experience and the multiplayer. Sometimes it just isn't about building the perfect fighting simulator as much as it is building on what makes the game interesting and unique.

Although making the perfect fighting simulator matters a lot in a fighting game, since it's the core of the game. In SCIV there were characters who were practically designed to piss people off.

yunabomb:

Colt47:

Although making the perfect fighting simulator matters a lot in a fighting game, since it's the core of the game. In SCIV there were characters who were practically designed to piss people off.

Yeah, when lizardman can basically ground hump someone to death there is an issue. Yoda kind of had the same problem. Okay, I'm revising that final statement: Make the perfect fight simulator as WELL as building on what makes the game interesting to it's audience.

Colt47:

Yeah, when lizardman can basically ground hump someone to death there is an issue. Yoda kind of had the same problem. Okay, I'm revising that final statement: Make the perfect fight simulator as WELL as building on what makes the game interesting to it's audience.

I was thinking more along the lines of Amy and Hilde.

yunabomb:

Colt47:

I was thinking more along the lines of Amy and Hilde.

I could see Amy being annoying perhaps cosmetically, but not mechanically. Also, I never saw anyone use Hilde well when I was playing SCIV so I don't have much of a perspective on how she has a cheap move set. The characters I usually got stuck fighting against were Astaroth, Nightmare, Kilik, Yeong Sung, Maxi, and Cervantes. I was mostly a Sophitia player since I loved her easy access to highs, lows, and mids.

Colt47:

I could see Amy being annoying perhaps cosmetically, but not mechanically. Also, I never saw anyone use Hilde well when I was playing SCIV so I don't have much of a perspective on how she has a cheap move set. The characters I usually got stuck fighting against were Astaroth, Nightmare, Kilik, Yeong Sung, Maxi, and Cervantes. I was mostly a Sophitia player since I loved her easy access to highs, lows, and mids.

Amy was one of the most hated characters. Her good moves were too fast or too safe. Hilde was SCIV's biggest problem, and she was banned from tournaments. I'll just use this video to illustrate her problems. Here's how to piss off your friends in SCIV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xQRSN9WMik

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or