PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale Review

Pages 1 2 NEXT

PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale Review

The fighting is king in Battle Royale.

Read Full Article

Wow, one of my friends will be picking this up, I am definitely beating him up and stealing his PS3 going to his house to play it!

It is a shameless Super Smash Bros clone, but who cares since it was done well!

Totally making Dan Fortesque my main when I get to play it!

TizzytheTormentor:
Wow, one of my friends will be picking this up, I am definitely beating him up and stealing his PS3 going to his house to play it!

Totally making Dan Fortesque my main when I get to play it!

This exactly. I've heard people constantly telling me that this game would suck and that it has nothing original at all. Good to hear that it's good though. I was gonna get it anyway because it has Spike, Ratchet and Clank, and Dan Fortesque in it!

Might check this game out...when I get some money. T_T

Damn you Far Cry 3 and every other game that has came out recently and killed my wallet in many, many ways.

Also I'll make Jak and Daxter or Good Cole my favorite character...

If I ever get my hands on it. :(
I'm a bit surprised at this review too.

Any comments on how the crossplay works with the vita? This is supposed to be one of the first games you can buy with a ps3 and get a code to play it on your vita as well.

Played a kiosk demo of the game at a Best Buy recently and have to agree that the character list and specific movesets are VERY organic. Its clear that individual characters have very diverse playstyles, but the Power kills are repetitive and get boring very quickly. Overall I had fun playing it for the half hour I got to sit in front of the display during quiet hours, but I can see how it could get boring really fast.

Although I haven't played the game, mostly due to not having a PS3, but the major difference I note between this and SSB is that pretty much all the characters here are 3rd part because Sony doesn't really have any home grown franchises unlike Nintendo.

Eh I might pick this up eventually. It would be nice to have a fresh multiplayer game to play with friends after years of Smash Bros Brawl.

Sounds like it'll be worth picking up after a price drop.

I'm actually like the fact that the unlockables are irrelevant to gameplay it's annoying to pick up a game take home to play with friends only to find out it'll take 5 hours of solo play before any of us can play as are favorite character.

I didn't even know this was out already. It looks kind of fun, but I don't care for the roster at all :/

Parappa is the only character that jumps off the page

Too many of them are nitty gritty overly serious characters

canadamus_prime:
Although I haven't played the game, mostly due to not having a PS3, but the major difference I note between this and SSB is that pretty much all the characters here are 3rd part because Sony doesn't really have any home grown franchises unlike Nintendo.

On the other hand, this also allows for a bigger diversity of characters.

It has close to the same number of characters as Super Smash Brothers Melee without any franchise repeats, characters that look/play similarly, or outright variants of the same character.

Not saying this game is outright better for this, but it's refreshing.

I'll recommend this game to my cousin, he just got his new and sparkly PS3 recently and he was a huge fan of Smash Bros. Melee, now I have a good excuse to pass by his house and play a bit :)

Well I was thinking about this anyway so I could play as Sir Daniel again (Yay nostalgia!) but well... Drake can summon chest high walls WITH HIS MIND!?

This is too brilliantly absurd to be true.

Absolutionis:

canadamus_prime:

It has close to the same number of characters as Super Smash Brothers Melee without any franchise repeats, characters that look/play similarly, or outright variants of the same character.

True, but still calling it "Playstation All-Stars" is kind of a misnomer because Sony doesn't actually own any of the characters, they just managed to exclusively license them.

EDIT: Never mind, I don't know what I'm on about.

canadamus_prime:

Absolutionis:

canadamus_prime:

True, but still calling it "Playstation All-Stars" is kind of a misnomer because Sony doesn't actually own any of the characters, they just managed to exclusively license them.

EDIT: Never mind, I don't know what I'm on about.

If it wasn't for that edit, I would have got ready to rip you a new one. Nice save :P

Would have liked Cloud Strife/Sephiroth, but I suppose there's always Dissidia for that.

I've always found this sort of game to be pretty vacuous with the real redeeming quality coming via the cast.. and the cast in PSAS just doesn't do anything for me at all. Too bad, because I'm a pretty big fan of some of the people who worked on the game.

anonymity88:
Would have liked Cloud Strife/Sephiroth, but I suppose there's always Dissidia for that.

Or Ergheiz.

TizzytheTormentor:

I dunno... I think there's far too much of this mentality in the industry, and not enough attempt at actual original creativity. How many games out there are just rehashes of more popular games? Think of all the military shooters that end up being COD-clones, or the MMOs that end up being WOW-clones.

If we want to get actual creativity back in the industry, then we need to send developers the message that we want original ideas, not rehashes of stuff we've already seen.

The only reason I may want to get this is to play as Nariko again. Man, I really hope there's a Heavenly Sword 2...

Do not think I will be getting this one. Somehow I just can not get my self to care about the rooster.

Think perhaps it has to do with all the "realistic" looking characters (Nate, Kratos, Dante and so on). I do not have all that great an attachment to them to start with and they just seem out of place in a game like this.

It is a thematic thing I guess. The SSB characters somehow made it all look like somebody had taken all his favourite action figures out of the toy chest and had a pretend fight. This... this just looks random and not at all... cohesive.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

TizzytheTormentor:

I dunno... I think there's far too much of this mentality in the industry, and not enough attempt at actual original creativity. How many games out there are just rehashes of more popular games? Think of all the military shooters that end up being COD-clones, or the MMOs that end up being WOW-clones.

If we want to get actual creativity back in the industry, then we need to send developers the message that we want original ideas, not rehashes of stuff we've already seen.

Originality is great, but I'm not sure it's the only measure by which to judge content. This game is actually a great example of that very idea. They took a beloved concept and tried to rebrand it for both a new audience (PS3) and a more modern one (we haven't had a good Smash game in over ten years, dude). Look, I want to see new stuff too, but I also just want to see good stuff.

The fact of the matter is that from a business perspective, "new idea" is synonymous with "high-risk endeavor", and will always be considered such as long as the people funding development are not the same as the people developing. So, accepting that we live in a world where the majority of creative output, movies and games alike, is going to be shackled to past success, let's at least be happy when something comes along that's actually well-made and enjoyable, "originality" aside.

Edit: Except for Avatar. Plot point for plot point Pocahontas, but with 8-foot-tall blue sparkle cats who speak through papyrus font I cannot abide.

On the one hand, we're stuck with Dino and mishmash of some characters that just feel a bit odd in a game like this such as the helghast guy and the big daddy. Plus, the game modes seem to be rather uninspired.

On the other hand....Sir Daniel FUCKING Fortesque is playable! I..no words. That right there is almost worth the price of admission.

I'm torn about this one to say the least, but i think i'll pass on it. I still have a copy of Medieval i can play.

However, i will ask this much of Sony: When can we expect another Medieval game? Cmon, that game was fun as all hell and deserves a sequel (Even the remake had a certain charm to it, and if it was done right and maybe not limited to portable consoles it could be awesome)

Mike Kayatta:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

TizzytheTormentor:

Originality is great, but I'm not sure it's the only measure by which to judge content. This game is actually a great example of that very idea. They took a beloved concept and tried to rebrand it for both a new audience (PS3) and a more modern one (we haven't had a good Smash game in over ten years, dude). Look, I want to see new stuff too, but I also just want to see good stuff.

The fact of the matter is that from a business perspective, "new idea" is synonymous with "high-risk endeavor", and will always be considered such as long as the people funding development are not the same as the people developing. So, accepting that we live in a world where the majority of creative output, movies and games alike, is going to be shackled to past success, let's at least be happy when something comes along that's actually well-made and enjoyable, "originality" aside.

Thing is, if we use PSA as an example, seemingly everything that's 'good' about it is something lifted straight from Super Smash Bros. From what I've seen at any rate, and reviews haven't exactly done much to argue that point.

Which means that you can't really credit the game for doing anything good at all, seeing as all the good stuff actually comes from somewhere else.

Imagine it like this: I could get a pencil and some tracing paper, and trace over the Mona Lisa. Hypothetically, anyway. And if I took long enough, I could trace a copy of the painting that has all the detail of the original. That doesn't mean my trace copy has any real greatness, however. All the detail, all the beauty comes from the original. The details I've managed to capture are simply taken from another source, and it is with them that inherent 'quality' lies.

Obviously, a lot of developing games is taking ideas from other games and mashing them together in different ways. But when a game sticks so rigidly and clearly to the template set by another game, then I honestly believe that anything that the former does well is purely reflective of the quality of the latter.

The worst thing that can happen in any creative medium is homogeny. Homogeny is indicative of a lack of free thinking, creativity and inspiration. Even worse, homogeny creates boredom in the eyes of the viewer. If the only things being offered are variations on the same idea, then eventually the viewer will bugger off to find originality somewhere else, in another creative medium. You can argue that homogeny serves the interests of business, but we have seen time and time again that business interests, especially in the gaming industry, are short-term, short-sighted and have almost no concern on quality. Claiming that homogeny makes publishers more money doesn't negate the fact that it's a short term approach which focuses on making a quick buck over engaging the long term of gamers.

We're seeing this already. Game sales, especially console game sales, are heading downwards, and console sales aren't doing too hot either. The reason, partly, is to do with the fact that everything just looks so damn similar now. What's the point of buying a game, however well made it is, if it doesn't do anything different from all the other games out there?

Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, originality and creativity are the only things that make great games what they are. You look at any 'Best games of all time' list, and it will be populated by games that were made with fresh, creative ideas. That is what we should be encouraging developers to aim for, not simply making identikit versions of already succesful games.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Thing is, if we use PSA as an example, seemingly everything that's 'good' about it is something lifted straight from Super Smash Bros. From what I've seen at any rate, and reviews haven't exactly done much to argue that point.

I've heard that this game is like King of Fighters with double jumps. It seems like this game isn't actually copying Smash that much beyond the basic aesthetics. And it's obviously different enough from KoF to not be considered a copy of it.

Mike Kayatta:

snip

How does Cole match-up with Cole? I'm hoping they made them diverse enough to warrant being two separate people,

Great game wish it had a little more meat to the very very very flimsy plot that drives the game though

GAunderrated:
Any comments on how the crossplay works with the vita? This is supposed to be one of the first games you can buy with a ps3 and get a code to play it on your vita as well.

Cross-play works extremely well. There's virtually no difference between the two versions, save for having to tap the screen to pick up items on the Vita version, since there's no R1 button. When you play online on the PS3, you're not going to know who's playing on the Vita, or vice-versa. This is, let me be clear, just based on what I've read about it. I haven't tried it for myself. But the beta worked perfectly fine on the Vita, so I see no reason that this shouldn't be true for the full version.

Dendio:
Parappa is the only character that jumps off the page

Too many of them are nitty gritty overly serious characters

I don't know about that, there are several characters that aren't "gritty."

alik44:
Great game wish it had a little more meat to the very very very flimsy plot that drives the game though

That would be cool, but games like this aren't there for story.

OT: Definitely going to pick this up. My friend and I had a blast playing the beta, and while I wish there was more substance, arena fighters are more about playing with friends anyway.

And hopefully I'll get less Kratos-foursome matches online now.

DeManix:
The only reason I may want to get this is to play as Nariko again. Man, I really hope there's a Heavenly Sword 2...

Well if you need a fix of shitty DMC ripoffs from Ninja Theory, their awful DMC reboot comes out in January. There's also that Enslaved garbage they pumped out a couple years back.

Love letter to the fans.. with the shitty Dante-wannabe instead of the one we've seen for 4 games, an anime series, Marvel Vs. Capcom and SMT:Nocturne. Guess Capcom ends all their letters to fans with "Fuck you."

I wanted to like this game more, but I miss damage and stock. Nothing against it's design, it's just not for me. For those who don't mind it, I'm sure you'll have a blast with it!

I currently have the game

-Dragmire-:

Mike Kayatta:

snip

How does Cole match-up with Cole? I'm hoping they made them diverse enough to warrant being two separate people,

I too, have the game, and both Coles have the same special traits (hovering, wall grab) same square attacks (melee attacks mostly) and same level 1 super.

Their triangle attacks are similar, but do different things, for example good Cole's grenade is a sticky grenade, while evil Cole's explodes on contact, twice.

Their circle moves and level 2 and 3 supers are completely different. Good Cole has his Ice shield which turns projectiles into AP, while Evil Cole has his Firebird Strike which sets him on fire and launches him at the enemy. Good Cole's level 2 covers the ground in front of him in ice, while evil Cole's level 2 kills anything in the immediate vicinity of himself.

Playstyles with each one is also different, because Good Cole's moves make him more suited for close range while Evil Cole will want to play keep-away.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here