The Big Picture: Next Light

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Personally, I'm really looking forward to Warm Bodies. It seems to be that kind of oddly ironic humor that makes it sound like it would work, and so far nothing about it seems too outlandish or silly.

So hey, maybe this'll be good. Hopefully, at least.

So...Are all Big Pictures from now on gonna be a video version of Intermission?

Is it my imaginitaion or did The Host sound like a bad version of Animorphs?

I... I didn't know any of these things existed.

"We might be through with this crap, but this crap ain't through with us."

Well......crap. I'd say that about sums it up.

canadamus_prime:

Frostbite3789:

canadamus_prime:

Yep that's Hollywood for you.

Incidentally, that Warm Bodies looks incredibly stupid, at least based on the scene where the zombie "falls" for the girl. Oh god... *facepalm*

It looks stupid in that really corny/cheesy kind of hilarious way.

Like they're going for that it seems, which can either go wildly right or horribly wrong.

I'm thinking horribly wrong, esp considering certain other inevitable scenes... *shiver*

Come on, there's bound to be some excellent rigor mortis jokes in there!

I present to you PROOF. PROOF OF THE END OF THE WORLD.

As someone who read all of the Mortal Instruments trilogy for some reason back in high school, i'll probably go see it and pretend that it's in the same universe as Mad Men.

What about Maximum Ride? Since the series is already done, they don't have to wait much, and it has six books rather than a trilogy. Plus, its actually somewhat decent.

And for the record, The HOst plays out more as Yeerk Propaganda than Body Snatchers sequel.

Shame on that Mortal Instruments trailer for using "Sunshine (Adagio in D Minor)" for it's trailer song. You don't deserve that masterpiece.

I wouldn't be so sure about how good mortal instruments might be.

That Sunshine soundtrack messes with your head.
It's so good it makes other things seem better by association.

Grimh:

I was upset that the song was used in Kick-Ass until I found out the rest of the original score was by the same composer, so the production team was probably just being lazy and asked if they could use his old material.

-Dragmire-:

canadamus_prime:

Frostbite3789:

It looks stupid in that really corny/cheesy kind of hilarious way.

Like they're going for that it seems, which can either go wildly right or horribly wrong.

I'm thinking horribly wrong, esp considering certain other inevitable scenes... *shiver*

Come on, there's bound to be some excellent rigor mortis jokes in there!

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.

While I don't like much about Twilight (aside from the rifftrax version), and even my wife admits she hates how the movies turned out, I have to admit that blaming Meyers for it being a terrible series/movies is a bit unfair. Are they bad? Obviously I and others think they aren't as good as some make them out. But the fact that someone made the series so popular this whole fiasco began negates the argument that she has zero skill as a writer. If she was bad at it, the first book wouldn't have sold, so the sequels wouldn't have sold, so some producer wouldn't have said "We can capitalize on this!" and Kirsten Stewart would still be the faceless, bland girl you see for 5 seconds in Jumper.

Again, I'm not a Twi-hard, but causality states we suffered this because she was at least passably good, and very lucky.

Andrew Niccol? Seriously? To be honest, I am a fan of his. Gattica, Truman Show, Sim0ne, and Lord of War were all good films. I actually wrote a paper discussing the role of society and identity within "Gattica, Truman, and Sim0ne," i.e. Fake Humans/Fake World, Real Human/Fake World, Fake Human/Real World, in that order.

Having him attached to anything Meyer is doing is simply mind-boggling.

The Twilight fans I've talked to have all told me, when asked why they like it, that the writing is fantastic. To me, this is usually illiterate speak for "uh I liked it but I don't know how to analyze a book". At the same time though, I think this is the reason that the less serious paranormal romance novels rarely take off. The fans who do love those things expect them to be serious and well composed, even if from an outside perspective they are hilarious and scatterbrained.

I am Number four was good, I was hoping I am Number four 2 would be coming out soon.

Gatx:

Antonio Torrente:
For some reason my straight A younger sister likes Hunger Games.
The mythos you are talking about is Battle Royale. Which its author claims she didn't even know BR when writing it. Yeah, typical American plagiarism. I'm surprised she gotten away and made a crapton of money with it.

I also had that initial outrage that I experienced myself when the author didn't acknowledge Battle Royale, but honestly it's a foreign film/novel meaning it's not common knowledge that it even exists to a lot of people, and the whole putting people in a survival death match situation that's viewed as entertainment, or just plain sports where people die instead of getting injured, is hardly limited to Battle Royale.

It borrows way more from 1984 than it does from Battle Royale. Let's also not forget that forcing people to participate in games of life and death for entertainment in a science fiction setting wasn't invented by Battle Royale.

Is that the actual sound from the "Bella tackle" scene in Twilight? I've only seen that clip in animated .gif form, but holy shit do those sound effects make it even funnier.

The Random One:
I... I didn't know any of these things existed.

Neither did I. I knew there were more of the same types of stuff out there but that was it.

It was a good episode and I give a tip of the hat to Bob. It was quite informative and thats what I look for in his work.

But honestly, in high school and college, you have teenage/young adult girls and their boyfriends who mock nerd culture and its subjects (anime, video games, MLP, magic the gathering, MMO's)and then they turn around and apparently THIS is what they enjoy????

It just so happens that their exists a video to demonstrate my reaction upon this realization..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb8fWUUXeKM

Grimh:

Mortal Instruments (at last to through the original 3 trilogy) was a very good series filled with plot twists, creative monster lore, and characters with depth & relatbility.

Unlike Twilight, we know the series at least has a good plot going in, unlike Twi that was **** from the beggining.
My biggest worry with MI is how they create the monsters & demons. There are allot of really ***** up creatures in that series. If they abuse cheap CGI it could be a diaster, but if they put effort into the FX we could be in for a good movie.

"Shadow Hunters"... really? REALLY??? If you're going to cherry pick real world faiths for your source material, go right ahead, but FFS at least get the names right... Angle/Human hybrids are Nephilim... And it's been done to death... Hell according to some sources they were mean ass giants that pissed off God enough he sent the flood to get rid of the dicks.

The MI twist could be really well done if the film makers tackle it full on... I don't think I've seen anything outside of Japan dealing with the subject matter (well, actually dealing with it rather then ignoring it)... well that was that part of Veronica Mars season 1 that dealt with it pretty well... but it's rarely addressed.

Ryan Hughes:
Andrew Niccol? Seriously? To be honest, I am a fan of his. Gattica, Truman Show, Sim0ne, and Lord of War were all good films. I actually wrote a paper discussing the role of society and identity within "Gattica, Truman, and Sim0ne," i.e. Fake Humans/Fake World, Real Human/Fake World, Fake Human/Real World, in that order.

Having him attached to anything Meyer is doing is simply mind-boggling.

It could be the production company is just using The Horrible Hack's name to draw in the fanbase but have decided to do a complete rewrite and hire competent people to make a decent film.

I mean her stuff was bloody AWFUL but like Bob says "you can make a good movie out of ANYTHING".

*Listens to the part about The Host being written by SMeyer and laughs derisively, willing to wonder how much she would suck at Scifi until:*

"Andrew Niccol"

...well, fuck, I've never been so confused in my life. How did that happen? Seriously, how? I freaking love Andrew Niccol's work. Gattaca, In Time, Lord of War, S1m0ne, even The Truman Show. Main actresses voice is not my favorite part of that trailer, for sure. But I can see his touches on it already. Shit, who allowed that? If it's good, I have to say I like a Stephenie Meyer work. I don't know if I'm comfortable with that. Hmm. Maybe it will be good enough to forget it's hers. Hopefully it doesn't have her swill too prevalent.

Also, Rob Cordry and John Malkovich in a Romantic Zomcom? Wait...there is going to be a romzomcom? That's two things in one video that blew my mind.

Kumagawa Misogi:

MetalMagpie:

MichaelMaverick:

Seconded. Too lazy to look it up, the series looks like a decent clusterfuck.

Here's the very short version:

Conversations entirely in spoilers: Generating mystery on the Escapist forums since 2005.

Is it just me, or do some of those movies sound like they might actually be interesting for a male audience...

I liked "The Host", though I thought the Twilight Books were pretty good too (except for the 3rd one). They were a fun ride and I didn't really understand all the backlash. I'm no literary connoisseur, I just like being entertained.

I thought The Host was actually well done and certainly kept me engaged until the end. I thought immediately upon finishing it that it would make a great film, so I am glad to see it is being done (and from the looks...done well).

Hey, i am number 4 was a fine movie!

Naqel:
Is it just me, or do some of those movies sound like they might actually be interesting for a male audience...

Interesting for a liver-killing drinking game that is. :P

I thought I am number four was half decent/fun to watch as a movie.
It wawsn't, but it still had better fight scenes than the DBZ movie...

Well since there was so much success in the "Teen Fantasy Romance" Genre of 'novels' (and i use that term loosely) there seems to be an in-build library of schlocky, hokey shit to be put onto screen to amuse the fangirls.

The problem is the formula is so bad that it seems to come with an in-built self destruct. I can see this very quickly turning into studios green-lighting MANY terrible movies that then no-one will go to see. It's kind of like the spate of 'senior year/college brah' movies that followed the success of "American Pie". No one went to see most of them.

How come Bob didn't mention the Hunger Games Series? It not supernatural, but has that weird love triangle stuff and most of the action of the other movies.

Seconded. Too lazy to look it up, the series looks like a decent clusterfuck.

'

Oh, and for the sake of education...

I thought the Hunger Games was the new hotness for "young female focused" mass media giants. They are gonna juice that sucker into a gillion movies more then it should be. So I'm surprised that wasn't even mentioned, except for that its the current and not the next big thing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here