The Big Picture: Next Light

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Darth_Payn:
This must be the webcomic you're looking for: http://hijinksensue.com/2008/11/12/30-days-of-twilight/

Yep, that's probably it. Hijinks Ensue is a webcomic I read regularly so I have at least seen that one.

I must Nth the "why no Hunger Games mention" crowd, imo that is clearly the most obvious successor. With a $600M opening, it's pretty much there already.

Can't imagine any of those other supernatural romance books being worse than Twilight.

Muspelheim:
All is forgiven, all I ask now is an ancient Egyptian deity romance flick. Like... Not-Bella and Anubis hooking up to preserve cosmic balance against Lovecraftian horrors.

Bloody hell, suppose if you want anything done properly, you'll have to do it yourself...

That already exists. Read the Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan. Awesome, funny, and a girl that genuinely ISN'T Bella falls for Anubis.

OT: I genuinely liked "The Host" ( like to think of it as Twilight done right) and with a director that actually does good work I think this could turn out pretty darn well. The sad thing is that no matter how it turns out it will probably never change all the negativity from all those who treat Meyers writing career as the end of literature. For God's sake people, she wrote a sub-par teenage romance series and got lucky. Will you stop slandering her already?

Why make a zombie movie if the zombies aren't going to be ZOMBIES? It seems like a pointless and self defeating premise.

Screamarie:
I love how everyone just comes together to rip on what the teenage girls like. You may not like it, it may be badly written, but that doesn't mean you should you diss it. Everyone likes stupid shit when they're teenagers and even if they still like it into adulthood, what's it matter to you? Don't like it, ignore it.

It just pisses me off a tad whenever I hear nerds complain about getting bullied or teased for what they like then turn right around and bully or tease others for what they like.

I don't understand the point of getting upset or annoyed with what other people enjoy when it doesn't interefere with your life more than having to watch a movie trailer from time to time or see the books on a shelf in a store.

People say they bash Twilight because it's "badly written". You have lots of "nerd classics" like Transformers that were really badly written too, but it's okay to like them in nerd culture. Go figure.

Actually i LOVED The Host as a book. yes the writing is annoying and slow like usual, but i loved the ideas in it and thought it was a very interesting plot. I think it was much too smart for twilight fans and non twilight fans didn't read it which is why no one seemingly liked it.

But yah, and btw, Hunger Games is kinda like the next twilight. except not quite the same of course. less pure chick appeal.

damn it. i was looking forward to not having to sit down and watch twilight-ish spew.

>the host directed by Andrew Niccol

MY BODY IS READY

warm body could be good, eh

Where the hell can i find that god awful twilight clip with the cat? I need to share that with the outside world.

Dark_Reaction:

Seconded. Too lazy to look it up, the series looks like a decent clusterfuck.

'

Oh, and for the sake of education...

Yeah, it's done for shock value of "so taboo!"*, but I get ecstatic thinking about what would failed authors use for shock value once this thing gets stale. (and it will get stale quickly)

"Jim (the arrogant jerk with the heart of gold) falls madly in love with Jane (emotionless blank slate), but just as Jim was about to go for the steamy homerun, he found out that all this time Jane was - A DEAD DOG!"
[PAM-PAM-PAAAAAM!]

*Que in XKCD with its "Hardlinked directory loop"
http://xkcd.com/981/

The cynical side of me says you were trying to shirk on Thanksgiving week and decided to make a Big Picture out of the trailers showing before Breaking Dawn pt. 2.

soh45400:
I don't know why but I always get too angry at seeing two guy-one girl love triangles.
I always try to find to opposite after seeing those by mistake but never succeed. This episode kind of angered me again because of that reason.
Does anyone know any movie that features the opposite love triangle?

Try anime series.

A significant percentage of them are male-protagonist-based love triangle stories, and much of the rest are harem comedies. At least in the modern otaku-oriented industry.

Absolutionis:
I'm surprised that The Hunger Games wasn't mentioned. It's yet another blandly written love-triangle book series with an inexplicably "special" female lead based on a mythos mostly ripped from other sources. I guess the only thing it's lacking is monsters.

The Hunger Games is actually very good, and just because it shares similarities with other works doesn't mean it ripped them off.

I can't believe MovieBob skipped explaining how Cassandra Clare's stories are basically Harry Potter fanfic she revamped for her books and that a lot of her fanfiction was filled with plagiarism. She is a horrible person.

Harker067:
Anyone else hear shadowhunter and start thinking Gabriel Knight? :P

No, but Gabriel Knight made me start thinking of Michael Knight.

I think every romantic teen movie would be improved by David Hasselhoff and Kitt arriving half-way through to bust up the annoying douchey guys, seduce their women-folk, and solve the major plot issues with some sweet car jumps.

Except 10 Things I hate about you, because that teen movie was awesome!

canadamus_prime:

DVS BSTrD:
If at first you do succeed
Twi, Twi, Twi again.

Yep that's Hollywood for you.

Incidentally, that Warm Bodies looks incredibly stupid, at least based on the scene where the zombie "falls" for the girl. Oh god... *facepalm*

It's not quite so bad.

I read the book (I think... unless there's another zombie romance out there) and it's presented pretty decently.

Zombies eat brains because by eating them they get to experience some of the memories of that person, letting them experience life again for a little bit. It's basically their heroin, giving them an addicting euphoric experience.

And said zombie just ate a guy who was in love with said girl (can't remember if he was her boyfriend but I don't think so). And the memories he experiences in his rush are of her and they stick somewhat.

So instead of eating her as well he basically kidnaps her because he wants his heroin rush to last instead of having to go out and hunt people again and again to experience life for a bit.

I don't know how they'll do it in the movie, I'm quite afraid they'll try the whole romance expressed solely through intense stares method which will fail horribly. But the basic premise of the book was pretty decent. Not great, but definitely okay.

Hagi:

canadamus_prime:

DVS BSTrD:
If at first you do succeed
Twi, Twi, Twi again.

Yep that's Hollywood for you.

Incidentally, that Warm Bodies looks incredibly stupid, at least based on the scene where the zombie "falls" for the girl. Oh god... *facepalm*

It's not quite so bad.

I read the book (I think... unless there's another zombie romance out there) and it's presented pretty decently.

Zombies eat brains because by eating them they get to experience some of the memories of that person, letting them experience life again for a little bit. It's basically their heroin, giving them an addicting euphoric experience.

And said zombie just ate a guy who was in love with said girl (can't remember if he was her boyfriend but I don't think so). And the memories he experiences in his rush are of her and they stick somewhat.

So instead of eating her as well he basically kidnaps her because he wants his heroin rush to last instead of having to go out and hunt people again and again to experience life for a bit.

I don't know how they'll do it in the movie, I'm quite afraid they'll try the whole romance expressed solely through intense stares method which will fail horribly. But the basic premise of the book was pretty decent. Not great, but definitely okay.

Maybe, but you have to admit that that clip Bob showed was pretty horrible, what with the cheesy music and everything. Then there's the inevitable... *shiver* ...Ugh I just don't want to think about that. Which again from what Bob showed us, does happen.

tautologico:

Screamarie:
I love how everyone just comes together to rip on what the teenage girls like. You may not like it, it may be badly written, but that doesn't mean you should you diss it. Everyone likes stupid shit when they're teenagers and even if they still like it into adulthood, what's it matter to you? Don't like it, ignore it.

It just pisses me off a tad whenever I hear nerds complain about getting bullied or teased for what they like then turn right around and bully or tease others for what they like.

I don't understand the point of getting upset or annoyed with what other people enjoy when it doesn't interefere with your life more than having to watch a movie trailer from time to time or see the books on a shelf in a store.

People say they bash Twilight because it's "badly written". You have lots of "nerd classics" like Transformers that were really badly written too, but it's okay to like them in nerd culture. Go figure.

To be fair, if there's one thing Nerds rip on more than anything else it's their own material.

The Mass Effect 3 ending? The Star Wars prequels? Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball? Call of Duty? World of Warcraft? Diablo 3? Dead Space 3? The Green Lantern movie?

The amount of time 'nerds' spend hating nerd culture is far greater than the amount of time they spend hating things outside of nerd culture.

Not to mention the amount of time spend hating the various sub-groups in nerd culture.

Console tards? PC elitists? Casual gamers? Hardcore gamers? Shooter frat boys? Classic RPG spreadsheet nerds? 'Gurl gamurz'? White knights? Misogynistic douchebags? Basement virgins? Bioware fans? Nintendo fans? Sonic fans? Fans of whatever?

It's almost inclusive behavior. It's like Twilight fans are part of our culture. We hate their material, we hate their fandom, we hate just about everything about them. Just like we hate our own material, our own fandoms and just about everything about ourselves.

Hagi:

tautologico:

Screamarie:

To be fair, if there's one thing Nerds rip on more than anything else it's their own material.

The Mass Effect 3 ending? The Star Wars prequels? Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball? Call of Duty? World of Warcraft? Diablo 3? Dead Space 3? The Green Lantern movie?

The amount of time 'nerds' spend hating nerd culture is far greater than the amount of time they spend hating things outside of nerd culture.

Not to mention the amount of time spend hating the various sub-groups in nerd culture.

Console tards? PC elitists? Casual gamers? Hardcore gamers? Shooter frat boys? Classic RPG spreadsheet nerds? 'Gurl gamurz'? White knights? Misogynistic douchebags? Basement virgins? Bioware fans? Nintendo fans? Sonic fans? Fans of whatever?

It's almost inclusive behavior. It's like Twilight fans are part of our culture. We hate their material, we hate their fandom, we hate just about everything about them. Just like we hate our own material, our own fandoms and just about everything about ourselves.

It's true, there's a lot of hate going around in nerd culture. I often find gamer forums depressing, even here, because it seems no one likes games anymore, it's just hate. Sometimes I'm around movie buffs (personally and in online forums) and it's generally not like that: people discuss what they love about movies, or even criticize movies they don't like, but it's rarely with the same amount of hate I see here. It's sad, but then I remember most people here (and probably in other gamers' forums) are quite young.

Abandon4093:

Elijah Newton:

Abandon4093:
They're called Nephilim.

If you're going to used established races, don't make up random names for them to make them sound cooler. The sons/daughters of man and angel are called the Nephilim. No shadow-sausages, or whatever two words you crammed together to make them sound cool.

Nephilim. Say it with me now, Nephilim.

Easy there, hoss. People make up new names all the time and with good reason - maybe this author didn't want to use a word freighted with meaning from the Old Testament. Consider how comic fanboys react when someone messes up an origin story. If I was an author writing pulp fantasy I'd probably cross to the other side of the proverbial street to avoid a confrontation with bible fanboys. Or maybe it was to clarify - a quick wikipedia check of the word means that one translation that's been passed down simply means 'giants' or 'fallen warriors'. And while Nephilim is indeed a name given to the children of angels and men, I suspect there are words from other cultures which are no less on the mark. So, you know. Chill.

If you're spinning a yarn from the Judeo-Christian ball, then you may aswell stick with the vernacular.

It's like writing a story in the Lovecraft universe and then calling 'Dagon' 'the almighty fish' or something.

I'm not saying they need to stick to their inspiration/source material verbatim. It'd be awfully dry if they did.

But don't go and reinvent the wheel. If you're having angels and demons and calling them angels and demons. Don't then go and take the Nephilim and call then shadowhunters because it sounds angstier.

Hm. If they are spinning a yarn from the Judeo-Christian ball (great phrase, btw), then touche - you have a good point. I'm not crazy about finding myself arguing on the side of the woefully generic 'shadowhunters' as it is. From a phonetic standpoint 'nephilim' sounds pleasant and, as an attention-getter, is more interesting. Both subjective observations, of course.

Elijah Newton:

Abandon4093:

Elijah Newton:

Easy there, hoss. People make up new names all the time and with good reason - maybe this author didn't want to use a word freighted with meaning from the Old Testament. Consider how comic fanboys react when someone messes up an origin story. If I was an author writing pulp fantasy I'd probably cross to the other side of the proverbial street to avoid a confrontation with bible fanboys. Or maybe it was to clarify - a quick wikipedia check of the word means that one translation that's been passed down simply means 'giants' or 'fallen warriors'. And while Nephilim is indeed a name given to the children of angels and men, I suspect there are words from other cultures which are no less on the mark. So, you know. Chill.

If you're spinning a yarn from the Judeo-Christian ball, then you may aswell stick with the vernacular.

It's like writing a story in the Lovecraft universe and then calling 'Dagon' 'the almighty fish' or something.

I'm not saying they need to stick to their inspiration/source material verbatim. It'd be awfully dry if they did.

But don't go and reinvent the wheel. If you're having angels and demons and calling them angels and demons. Don't then go and take the Nephilim and call then shadowhunters because it sounds angstier.

Hm. If they are spinning a yarn from the Judeo-Christian ball (great phrase, btw), then touche - you have a good point. I'm not crazy about finding myself arguing on the side of the woefully generic 'shadowhunters' as it is. From a phonetic standpoint 'nephilim' sounds pleasant and, as an attention-getter, is more interesting. Both subjective observations, of course.

To be honest, I think the genericness of it is what offended me so much in the first place.

Wasting a perfectly good name for something that you'd find in any old shite about angels and demons.

I had a friend who read the Mortal Instruments series and she already told me the big spoiler, and yeah it's weird, but you sure it's gonna be a big deal?

Rabidkitten:

Oh, and for the sake of education...

More Mortal Instruments spoilers sort of

Jennacide:
Thanks Bob for the reminder of why I only go to the theatres a max of twice a year, and I've already spent my yearly allotment on Wreck-it Ralph and The Avengers.

Unfortunate to miss DKR and The Hobbit.

Spud of Doom:

Jennacide:
Thanks Bob for the reminder of why I only go to the theatres a max of twice a year, and I've already spent my yearly allotment on Wreck-it Ralph and The Avengers.

Unfortunate to miss DKR and The Hobbit.

I did end up seeing DKR in a screening, but not super enthusied to see The Hobbit.

I'm looking a little more forward to these upcoming films than I probably should. None seem genuinely terrible (Warm Bodies kinda does, but it's a wild card. I won't judge it just yet). I figure they'll all be similar in quality to the recent Red Riding Hood and Snow White and the Huntsman, with one being noticeably better than the others and one being noticeably worse. Either way, there's a pretty decent chance I'll see a couple of them and that alone says plenty about my expectations.

soh45400:
I don't know why but I always get too angry at seeing two guy-one girl love triangles.
I always try to find to opposite after seeing those by mistake but never succeed. This episode kind of angered me again because of that reason.
Does anyone know any movie that features the opposite love triangle?

B/c movies that go the opposite route are almost without exception labeled as chauvinist (often rightfully so).

Did anyone else notice the little girl at 3:50? Is she the same girl who played as the Red Queen in the Resident Evil movies? I can't tell.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here