Far Cry 3 Review

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Far Cry 3 Review

Welcome to the jungle.

Read Full Article

I actually haven't really been keeping up with this game, may have to give it a look at christmas!

I loved the first two FarCry games, so I'll be picking this game up anyhow. However, I must admit I'm not as excited about this one as I was the previous installment. Somehow, it still looks more like an enhanced version of the first game rather than the second that felt like a whole new world.

But how does it compare to the previous installment?

Well, color me interested. I wasn't intrigued at all by the trailers and all the "OMG!IT'S SKYRIM WITH GUNS!" promotion, but your review has made it sound like a hell of a good time.

Arrgh, another one.

So many cool games to play, so few hours in the day.

God dammit why did I let my gaming backlog get so big? Arg!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT THE TAPIR!!! ANYTHING BUT THE TAPIR!!!!!!!!

OT : Sweeeeeeeeeet, this game has looked good all along. Glad it turned out so.

It looks really good but otherwise great games with crappy storylines really rub me up the wrong way. Is it like Skyrim, where they harp on about how urgent it all is but then you can go off camping for a fortnight in the middle of it and when you get back, everything's the same? That really kills it for me.

headshotcatcher:
But how does it compare to the previous installment?

I can confirm one thing - no more baddies respawning at checkpoints minutes after you clear them out.

Woah, now I'm actually looking forward to this one.
I was wondering about two things though...

Compared to Far Cry 2
1. You said that stealth is a viable option, but how does it actually work? Does everyone within a mile radius run at you the minute they look at the direction the tree you are hiding behind?

2. Is everyone outside the settlement/s outside to get you like they were in Far Cry 2, or are there neutral people minding their own business?

Wow, this... this look GOOD. Seriously, I didn't keep track of this game at all, but now that I see it laid out in reviews I really want to play it. It kinda looks like the lovechild of Skyrim and Jagged Alliance, which are two damn good games. Will have to look into this a bit more.

I was actually concerned that this game was going to suck. I expected Ubisoft to muck this one up like what happened with Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia. Guess I'll be getting this one!

wow, great health regen mechanics
i'm excited

I was not looking at buying any more games this year. I may have to consider this one.

OniaPL:

Compared to Far Cry 2
1. You said that stealth is a viable option, but how does it actually work? Does everyone within a mile radius run at you the minute they look at the direction the tree you are hiding behind?

2. Is everyone outside the settlement/s outside to get you like they were in Far Cry 2, or are there neutral people minding their own business?

1. In-game, you can crouch down and hide in the bushes and crawl right next to a pirate, and he won't see you unless you stand up. Line of sight is implemented much better here, and there's a handy in-game indicator that pops up on your HUD to let you know if someone sees you - in the video there's an example of how I was able to walk up behind two guys and they didn't notice me until it was too late, though if they did turn around they probably would've noticed. The enemy AI in Far Cry 3 can be aggressive, but on a much more reasonable scale. Cars full of pirates didn't come flying out of nowhere to try and run me down, which is something I experienced constantly in the previous game, and if you keep your distance, even if you're in clear line of sight of a pirate, he usually won't charge at you unless you open fire.

2. How many neutral/friendly NPCs are around depend on how many outposts you've liberated. A contested area will have much more pirates then civilians going about their business, but once you've liberated that area's outpost, you'll more likely see civilians walking along the road or driving around. There's lots of little interactions between civilians and you as well, such as helping someone who's car has broken down on the of the road or saving someone from being mugged.

OniaPL:

Compared to Far Cry 2

Having played Far Cry 2, that was by far my biggest pet peeve. I didnt get to far, and never bother with stealth to tell whether the first point is really that bad. But I thought Far Cry 2 was fun, and look forward to trying this one.

So... it's basically Just Cause 2 without superpowers? Meh...

Does the multiplayer have as robust a map creation system as Far Cry 2? That was by far my favorite part of that game.

But can I tie a jet liner mid-takeoff to a tree to create the world's biggest flail?
I thought not.

WMDogma:
Snip

Thank you for the answer... it definitely sounds promising. Sounds like a purchase to me; Even with all it's flaws, I found Far Cry 2 quite fun, and the third installment sounds even better.

WanderingFool:

Having played Far Cry 2, that was by far my biggest pet peeve. I didnt get to far, and never bother with stealth to tell whether the first point is really that bad. But I thought Far Cry 2 was fun, and look forward to trying this one.

Yeah, it was quite annoying. The worst thing was when you were walking down the road and a random car appears, and the people in it go apeshit on you.

I hope that there's no "respawning badguys over zones under your control" glitch, to which one production guy from Far Cry 2 said "it's a glitch we couldn't solve, if you don't like it, fuck you". That was the main reason why I didn't pick up the last game.

Wow... I'm not a fan of the FarCry series, with that of the first game utterly sucking (thanks to those shitty mutant monkeys) and not entirely interested in FarCry 2, I'm really impressed with the video review, it looks like Crysis, but with a real open world and with way more variety of stuff to do and kill.

I'll definitely consider giving this one a try.

It would be nice to read how the console versions are holding up. Is the review done with the pc version or can i hope for an update? I`m asking this because i`ve read a few not so nice things about them (something alng the lines of being almost unplayable in terms of framerate, on both, the 360 and the ps3).

Story reminds me of the movie Turistas.

Grabehn:
I hope that there's no "respawning badguys over zones under your control" glitch, to which one production guy from Far Cry 2 said "it's a glitch we couldn't solve, if you don't like it, fuck you". That was the main reason why I didn't pick up the last game.

That game was just bad in so many aspects.
-Find cheesily hidden (on top of rocks you could not jump on) diamonds in order to buy weapons and upgrades. Thankfully you could easily make due with some of the most basic weaponry. And if you got the little DLC pack with the silenced shotgun, well, nothing I ever purchased from the arms merchant ever trumped that.
-Spend 50+% of the game travelling from mission to mission, or being ambushed while you travel.
-Your character apparently has no morals.
-Your 'friends'

Well, call me interested
Seriously- as soon as I'm done with TES5 I'll play FarCry3

RobfromtheGulag:

Grabehn:
-snip-

That game was just bad in so many aspects.
-Find cheesily hidden (on top of rocks you could not jump on) diamonds in order to buy weapons and upgrades. Thankfully you could easily make due with some of the most basic weaponry. And if you got the little DLC pack with the silenced shotgun, well, nothing I ever purchased from the arms merchant ever trumped that.
-Spend 50+% of the game travelling from mission to mission, or being ambushed while you travel.
-Your character apparently has no morals.
-Your 'friends'

While I didn't buy the game, I did got to play it, and I agree that the story was... not good and you just went through it without any choice whatsoever. I did feel bad when

But other than that I found that the game, while not being "good", was pretty enjoyable at times.

Question I know it's odd but I always like how realist Farcry 2 was. Things like you had to pull out a map to find the area and how it stayed first person when you drove. Can you turn off the Hud in this. How important is it to the game.

Any story at all is definitely a step up from Far Cry 2.

YOU ARE IN AFRICA AND YOU HAVE TO KILL THIS GUY BUT YOU'RE NOT REALLY THAT PROACTIVE ABOUT IT ALSO YOU HAVE MALARIA!!!

It would have played it if it didn't have uPlay, which is a shame.

So, what the fuck is up with Vaas? I just don't get who greenlight his character design. He's just hilariously goofy looking. I know they were going for intimidation, but eyeliner and eyeshadow, and clown hair don't really instill fear into me.

Can't wait to get my hands on this one.Most of the reviews I've seen have gotten very high reviews.

I think it's one of the few multi-platform video reviews that show the PC version.For that,I thank you! :)

I was so hoping this game would be good, glad to see my wish came true!

Honestly the amount of stuff to do in this game seems overwhelming, cannot wait to pick it up!

Disabling the radio towers looks remarkably similar to the synchronisation points in assassins creed.

Far Cry should win an award for being the only franchise I can think of that has three games with almost nothing in common other than being FPSs.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here