Fake Geek Girls

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Fappy:
Why bring up the clone saga!? It was such a dark time in comic book history :(

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Lest we forget.

ace_of_something:

Fappy:
Why bring up the clone saga!? It was such a dark time in comic book history :(

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Lest we forget.

Especially when you consider that those who ignore the Clone Saga probably wish they had One More Day to show the editor of Spider-Man why the Clone Saga should be remembered for their mistakes.

It's early, I thought the title was 'Fake Greek Girls'

Moonlight Butterfly:
I think a lot of the people here are missing the message of the comic.

SO WHAT IF THEY ARE FAKE

SO THE FUCK WHAT.

they are not going to suck your brains out or sacrifice you to the goddess of cosplay. Just enjoy looking at them and....

Well, a lot of people missed also the point of Jims video about that issue. Which was basically the same...

As if a woman telling them the supposed point could change that. Away with ye, lass!

(rams up sarcasm shields in a 20km permiter)

somehow i don't doubt this has happened.

Paragon Fury:

DVS BSTrD:
Sure but can you name all the characters the girls are cosplaying as?

a bad copy of Catherine

No, it is Mami Tomoe from Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Andrew_C:

I'm not saying that. But purely due to this man's career choice people outside the community WILL see him as a representative of geek/nerd/whatever culture. To use your analogy, when politicians make retarded comments about rape we tend to think the Republican party as a whole has it's shit fucked up, not just the Republican party in the districts they represent.

That is a poor comparison. People in political parties are representatives of their group. What they say reflects upon that group. The geek "community" is not in any shape or form an organisation or a collective. It does not have a leadership, it does not have any official entry requirement and it does not have representatives.

If a person in a political party brought bad press down upon it, they'd probably be kicked out. That isn't even possible in the geek community, because this guy just made a career choice to sell things that geeks like, he does not represent geeks in an official (as it is not possible) or unofficial manner. He is nothing more than a individual with an opinion.

He cannot claim to speak for geeks, he cannot claim to represent them. A politician can do both.

Holy shit... it all makes so much sense now! So if you guys see a pretty girl at a convention who is cosplaying in a costume that actually does the character justice, make sure you take her down before she takes you down. I'm sure they're going to destroy our entire elitist culture.

And we worked so hard to build it, too!

Ben Reilly.

What? Captain Pancake was warned for saying that?! Shit! I've got to go underground now. Bye Escapist, it's been fun.

Yay. Another reminder of how we can't be annoyed with fake people who piss on your hobby in order to whore themselves out for attention, without being judged as chauvinistic pigs who hate all cosplayers and women who relate themselves to games.

Seeing the reactions is even worse. Whenever something bothers someone it's not in any way relevant, unless it impacts them as well.

Did you husband or wife leave you and take the kids? Sorry, not important because it didn't happen to ME. Also, you're now a bigoted hater against all members of that specific gender.

Oh, someone made an exaggerated response, we better judge ALL people with slightly similar opinions and hammer the entire issue as criminal bigotry. Because apparently that's the new thing to do.

Then there's the other side of the issue, where legitimate cosplayers won't have any respect because it doesn't matter if they're into whatever they're doing or not. It's fine if they're there as eye candy. Yeah, nothing wrong with that at all.
And don't assume you can talk with them about whatever they're cosplaying as, because you're almost certain to insult them, by assuming they'd have to know anything about it.

Bitter? Yeah, because as bad as the trolling idiots who actually rage about the issue are once again the main focus and the rest of the internet is up in arms acting just as bad, while raging on everyone else as well.

The Thinker:
Ben Reilly.

What? Captain Pancake was warned for saying that?! Shit! I've got to go underground now. Bye Escapist, it's been fun.

It miiiiight have been because of the fact that it was a two word post =p

Also, I don't know that. If I had a vagina and cosplayed I would have to shoot the guard as well.

Smilomaniac:
snip

So please tell us your awesome plan as to how you are going to stop these heinous crimes and tell 'legitimate' cosplayers from fake ones.

Because there isn't really any way to tell without being completely obnoxious.

Naeras:

The Thinker:
Ben Reilly.

Also, I don't know that. If I had a vagina and cosplayed I would have to shoot the guard as well.

Pssh. You probably think the moon landing wasn't faked by Martians living in Atlantis, either. Trust me, the Escapist just doesn't want sensitive information like that getting out there.

Moonlight Butterfly:

Smilomaniac:
snip

So please tell us your awesome plan as to how you are going to stop these heinous crimes and tell 'legitimate' cosplayers from fake ones.

That's hardly what I'd call obnoxious.

SCIENCE!

I squeed when I saw the Mami Tomoe cosplayer.

Insta-love.

I don't get this whole thing.
Since when is "Gamer" a group that can be infiltrated? Has anyone ever tried to infiltrate vegetarians by pretending to not like meat?

And hey, maybe there are people who like to pretend to like something. Why should I care?

So I only have one thing to ask about this strip, Why are they asking a question about an American comic book at an anime con? That's all I want to know, please tell me.

jmarquiso:

The Tall Nerd:

im not asking states or anything
or like
who played cat woman in herpaderpa der
no no, just basics
who are they, what do they do, where they are from
basics
simple wiki

Why ask at all? What if their answer was "Julie Newmar"? or "That girl from the Princess Diaries?" or whatever? God forbid they accidentally say "Tara Strong" or "Arleen Sorkin".

Does it really matter? I honestly don't understand this mentality at all. My point is that - at the very least - it's a starting point for an interest. And instead of being welcomed, it becomes a gatekeeping system. While you may have a "simple wiki" question (something that anyone with a smartphone could pass), the next gatekeeper may have a harder question. I know some people will get annoyed when they here the Joker killed Bruce's parents, or a bunch of stray cats gave Catwoman weird cat powers. You chose a character with vastly different versions and interpretations even.

Try something else, like - "how did you make that?" or "where'd you get that costume?" to really engage them in an interest that's already obviously theirs. Because man, I'd want to know myself.

i am not going to actively ask them
but yes it does, call me an old soul , but i feel you should know what your putting on your body.

not just costumes clothes in general.

its common sense, i just don't buy clothes and go "oh shirt up hur dur" i need to know what its made out of to wash it, and i want to know who its by, maybe i like the shirt maybe i would like more shirts from them. i am not for wearing shirts or anything and knowing what it is about

i dont care if its a person in a costume or not

know what you are putting on your body, if your afforded that opportunity
some people don't get to know, nor do they get the choice

Moonlight Butterfly:

Smilomaniac:
snip

Stop them? Why bother. It's not a huge issue and it's not the end of the gaming community as we know it.
My gripe with this is that I'm annoyed with the internet being up in arms over "innocent" girls being targeted, when in fact it's a common opinion among gamers and "nerds" that we don't appreciate OVERLY FAKE people, which we're not allowed to have, without being accused of bigotry and male insecurity.

I get that you're an "old" female gamer, in your own words, and you might not share that opinion. That's fine, but that doesn't mean it isn't common or that it's rare. I saw you post somewhere else that you have to compete with guys on trivia and that they're sulking when you outwit them.
Wouldn't it be nice to be rid of the stupid teenagers who makes it even harder for you girls and women to be respected and acknowledged for your genuine interests?

I don't want a hunt on these fakers or the obnoxious pixie girls acting all cutesy, pretending to know everything about nerd culture to get attention. I want the hunt on us who dislike them, to stop; More specificly, I want journalists to stop portraying a huge amount of people as douchebags because of a few assholes spewing bile all over.

This is like that ridiculous "Tropes in games vs women" all over again, with the hugely bigoted girl speaking a lot of nonsense. Hardly anyone acknowledged the fact that she was biased, unenlightened and a troublemaker, because the journalists were too busy marking anyone who disagreed with her as rapist murderers, whether they argued soberly or not.

Moonlight Butterfly:

Smilomaniac:
snip

Start a nice conversation about whatever they are cosplaying from?

Doesn't seem that hard. "Hey, nice x cosplay, you a fan of the show?" Then it would go "oh yeah, I love it!" and it goes on from there or "No, not really", which leads to a very awkward end of the conversation.

Or would just asking if they like something be insulting?

Darth_Payn:
Do one of you guys know the origins to this whole "fake geek girl" thing? It just sounds like a big non-issue to me. As geeks, should we not preach the gospels of the things we like to the nonbelievers?

I always figured it was about Booth babes, and how incredibly misogynistic it is that corporations attempt pander to a falsely constructed 80s parody version of nerd culture, trying to gain our attention with a set of bewbs, because in their mind we are all a bunch of unsexed losers who will drop any and everything for a "nice rack". Which is offensive and insulting on so many levels. And as we have striven to change that image and become more inclusive, the corporations keep trying to peg us as an "old boys club," which is inevitably how society at large views us. Which is why we must endeavor in cultural reclamation, lest we always be seen as horny, misogynistic caricatures.

But Tony Harris's rant? I have no idea what the fuck that was about.

I can tell one is catwoman and the redhead is a fighting game character(probably street fighter) but who is the blond girl?

The Thinker:

Naeras:

The Thinker:
Ben Reilly.

Pssh. You probably think the moon landing wasn't faked by Martians living in Atlantis, either. Trust me, the Escapist just doesn't want sensitive information like that getting out there.

Dude, what are you smoking? Martians in Atlantis? Please. The moon landing was obviously faked out by Illuminati in a sinister plot to spread mind control nanobots out into the atmosphere.

Thoric485:
Yes, because a subculture having a barrier of entry is something unheard of.

I've seen punks have less obtuse and better defined barriers of entry, and punks will fuck you up physically for being a fake.

By the way, Blizzcon had problems with actual fistfights breaking out between Horde and Alliance players, and someone was murdered in their house for their Magic cards, so those notions listed aren't that far off.

GunsmithKitten:

Thoric485:
Yes, because a subculture having a barrier of entry is something unheard of.

I've seen punks have less obtuse and better defined barriers of entry, and punks will fuck you up physically for being a fake.

By the way, Blizzcon had problems with actual fistfights breaking out between Horde and Alliance players, and someone was murdered in their house for their Magic cards, so those notions listed aren't that far off.

I bet the Horde won! :p

I think someone touched upon this when they quoted me but aren't the people doing this 'fakery' young people. If they are then maybe they are only fake up until the point that they were born long after the magnavox odyssey or whatever was a thing.

If they snap at you and treat you like scum then you totally have my permission to push them down a manhole but I think most of the time they are people who have been attracted to geekery recently. If that's the case then we should surely be welcoming them...a bit like the borg! Muahahahaha.

Maybe we just need to take a step back and tone down the defensiveness because as someone said it's harming the girls who ARE old gamers and comic buffs.

For instance I'm severely ill (one week off a major operation) at the moment and I'm finding playing certain games exhausting. (lol metro 2033...argh) My raptr and other things probably don't show me as the consistent gamer I normally am. Although I'm spending a lot of that time watching dvd's of x-men and avenger cartoons... If a guy looked at that he might accuse me of being a fake geek just on the back of these 'newbies' right? He would be wrong but it's the defensiveness not the newbies that are causing that. They don't give a crap about what I'm doing. The defensive geek guy does. He's the one pointing the finger and causing the harm.

I know they are the ones creating these conditions to start with but since we can't control other people's actions we can only temper our own.

Would girls pretend to be nerds in order to get attention?

Would men write a webcomic pretending to be a girl in order to get attention?

The Plunk:

That is quite possibly the silliest thing I have ever read.

OT: I think its hilarious the way people are reacting to this.

The Plunk:

That's pretty dumb reasoning. By your logic, Ridley Scott made Alien to get attention.

MiracleOfSound:

The Plunk:

That's pretty dumb reasoning. By your logic, Ridley Scott made Alien to get attention.

By this reasoning, Ridley Scott kidnaps people and lays his eggs in their chest cavities.

Professor James:
I can tell one is catwoman and the redhead is a fighting game character(probably street fighter) but who is the blond girl?

Mami Tomoe from the anime 'Puella Magi Madoka Magica'.

Piorn:
I don't get this whole thing.
Since when is "Gamer" a group that can be infiltrated? Has anyone ever tried to infiltrate vegetarians by pretending to not like meat?

And hey, maybe there are people who like to pretend to like something. Why should I care?

This is more akin to people who choose to be vegetarians to make a statement as opposed to genuinely having a belief for why you should be one. Like the teen Goth's who don't know anything about the culture, but like the black and white make-up because it gets all the preppy kids staring at them.

Your response at the end sums it up though, really. Why does it even matter? Who cares? Why should we?

If girls do not care about nerdy stuff but want to cosplay in sexualised costumes, who exactly are they hurting? The nerd culture? The one that is generally looked to be about socially awkward men who wouldn't know anything about women? If anything, having some attractive women around at cons might help negate some of the more derogatory stereotypes. Assuming that those guys don't spend the whole time drooling over them and being perverted.

Or demanding that sexy ladies stay the hell away from comic books and people who like them...

Smilomaniac:
Yay. Another reminder of how we can't be annoyed with fake people who piss on your hobby in order to whore themselves out for attention, without being judged as chauvinistic pigs who hate all cosplayers and women who relate themselves to games.

Really? Just... Really? Tell me: how can you tell that they are fakers and posers? I want a foolproof method. Please, because I honestly want to know.

Grey Carter:

MiracleOfSound:

The Plunk:

By this reasoning, Ridley Scott kidnaps people and lays his eggs in their chest cavities.

Checkmate.

This whole concept of "fake geek girls" is moronic, why do people always end up get persecuted for "not being real fans" of something?

Naeras:

The Thinker:

Dude, what are you smoking? Martians in Atlantis? Please. The moon landing was obviously faked out by Illuminati in a sinister plot to spread mind control nanobots out into the atmosphere.

And, as any school child could tell you, the Illuminati is run by Martians living in Atlantis. Geez. It's like talking to a toddler...

Ben Reilly, the Scarlet Spider

(probably answered already but I only read the first page of comments.

Eh, as somebody whose taken Japanese language classes and been in college anime clubs, I know that geek girls are real, and sometimes they are hot.

Now if only I could get them to date me, which is a story for another time.

So, I was a bit away from all the gamer drama last month or so, what's up with this fake geek girl thingy? I know this isn't exactly new, but what happened lately that suddenly the whole bee nest is out? Did kotaku write an article or it or something

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here