The Big Picture: The Girl of Tomorrow

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Girl of Tomorrow

MovieBob ends his Supergirl retrospective on a futuristic note.

Watch Video

I kinda like the fade out sudo-banter it makes it seem like: "hey I could keep talking for a while, but they make me stop" which I thought was an initial point to this. though finding things to trail off do it on a continual basis could prove difficult depending on the topic.

Wow, this is why I don't much care for comics. So damned confusing. Is the New 52 less annoyingly confusing with less bullshit? Or is it just the same?

Capitano Segnaposto:
Wow, this is why I don't much care for comics. So damned confusing. Is the New 52 less annoyingly confusing with less bullshit? Or is it just the same?

dc is the final fantasy of comics , while interesting there are die hards that dont know exactly what the eff is going on

so i suggest just going for it

marvel is kinda that way too, but more dark
marvel tends to organize a bit better though there catalog still looks like a mess, just a less messy mess

Really the new 52 is a great place to jump back into comics I did an its really good but I mostly stick to batman and animal man

That Fallen Angle cover, that's Illyria guest starring? As in, one of the greatest moments in the history of facepunch Illyria?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH-cfA30wl0

so in a nut-shell DC have a good thing sacrifice it for better thing and try and bring back the old good thing but better fail than bring back the old good thing... comics

Jesus Christ what a mindfuck

Soooo... I guess that means it's too late to get into this? I mean, where do you start?

Seriously? And people say Metal Gear is convoluted... (it is, but this is completely off the charts in comparison).

Well, that didn't help explain things as much as I thought it would. At least this time there were a bunch of pictures of women with a lot of exposed skin. Just another reason I wish I could draw that well, I guess.

I have to wonder, though, if Bob didn't want to go four weeks on Supergirl, why did he go for three? At this point, I'm left with more questions than answers.

um... ok im lost
do they acctually care about their characters it seems like one feeble plot contrivance after another, just to keep continutiy. what if something dosnt fit or if it is too contrived or just sucks waay too much then scrap it as non cannon.
dont comeup with an excuse for getting rid of a crappy plotline tell every one oops and try again. i dont understand this need to link these things. jsut blank slate it

It's episodes like this that remind me that I'm not missing out on anything important from not reading comic books.

Next week: Supergirl

Actually, new 52 SuperGirl is pretty different from all the previous incarnations.
The fact that she hates beeing on Earth and might even be more powerfull than Supes himself is pretty interesting.
That and the new updated look works for me, but that's my personal taste.

Gawd...Matrix Supergirl....*totally blocked that*

Calling it now. Next week: Arrow.

Am I the only one who had to watch this three times?

No wait, this is the internet.

I'm not the only one.

DAMN YOU DC!!

*replays*

So wait Christianity and Greek mythology both exists in the dc universe?
Did any writer ever do anything with that fact? Establish how that works?

this is why i stay away from long running comic series...

muffinatorXII:
Jesus Christ what a mindfuck

My thoughts exactly, if someone wants 15 minutes of mindfuck showe them these 3 BigPicture episodes.

Pretty mutch a prefect ending :D
The last 20 seconds or so :D

Ronack:

Done! Done, damn it! DONE! DONE! :-)

Capitano Segnaposto:

Yeah, it's why I could never really dive into superhero comics. I gravitated to creator-owned titles, Wildstorm Comics briefly (until they quickly got as convoluted as Marvel and DC, and now are part of the DC Universe), and DC Vertigo books. The only DC superhero comics I really got into were some of the Bat-Family books in the 1990s, especially Birds of Prey and Nightwing. Most of the characters didn't have superpowers, just awesome physical and investigative skills, and the villains were mostly the same, and stories tended to focus on Gotham, not saving the universe. Once in a while Superman or Wonder Woman might drop by, but you didn't need to be up to date on everything going on in their titles.

Jodan:
um... ok im lost do they acctually care about their characters it seems like one feeble plot contrivance after another, just to keep continutiy. what if something dosnt fit or if it is too contrived or just sucks waay too much then scrap it as non cannon. dont comeup with an excuse for getting rid of a crappy plotline tell every one oops and try again. i dont understand this need to link these things. jsut blank slate it

In their defense, we're talking about characters that have been around for up to 70+ years, most of whom had at least one, and sometimes several, comic books about them come out every month for many of those decades, and since the rise of the direct market in the last 30 years or so, have mostly been bought by the same hardcore group of 16-40 year old neckbeards who thrive on the continuity--and the vast majority of writers, artists, and editors come from the same group of fans. So what do you do? Appease the few thousand hardcores who are keeping you afloat, or try to branch out and risk failing utterly? Once in a while, Marvel or DC try to do both, which is where things like Crisis on Infinite Earths, the Marvel Ultimates line, and the New 52 come from. But generally, they stay the course and appeal to the existing fanbase, which isn't smart long-term thinking, but there you go.

The more successful movie and series adaptations of superhero comics tend to be those that jettison most of the continuity that only appeals to those few thousand hardcore fans, while focusing on the foundations of the characters, which have more universal appeal. E.g. teenaged nerd gets spider-like superpowers, fails to stop a criminal from killing his uncle, and now feels responsible for fighting crime. Really easy to understand. That same guy married to a supermodel, but in actuality a clone of himself, and he and his wife sell their wedded bliss to the Devil to bring his aunt back to life? WTF?

This one definitely reinforces Bob's "MOVIES ARE WEEEIIIRRRD!" slogan. My head is spinning!

You know, I hate to say it, but I thought this episode sucked. Bob just seemed to be recounting Supergirl's Wikipedia page. I was like, "But why does all of this comic book character history actually matter?". The other two episodes on Supergirl seemed fine to me.

badmunky64:
It's episodes like this that remind me that I'm not missing out on anything important from not reading comic books.

You should know that superhero comics (mostly DC and Marvel) are a small part of comics on the whole, there is a lot of great stuff with no capes or underwear over the pants. Check out some of the Image new comics like Saga or Chew.

unacomn:
That Fallen Angle cover, that's Illyria guest starring? As in, one of the greatest moments in the history of facepunch Illyria?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH-cfA30wl0

I miss Illyria. She was great. Amy Acker as a sexy monster-girl...

Ronack:

So I wasn't the only one thinking "That's a supiciously specific denial".

Falseprophet:

In their defense, we're talking about characters that have been around for up to 70+ years, most of whom had at least one, and sometimes several, comic books about them come out every month for many of those decades, and since the rise of the direct market in the last 30 years or so, have mostly been bought by the same hardcore group of 16-40 year old neckbeards who thrive on the continuity--and the vast majority of writers, artists, and editors come from the same group of fans. So what do you do? Appease the few thousand hardcores who are keeping you afloat, or try to branch out and risk failing utterly? Once in a while, Marvel or DC try to do both, which is where things like Crisis on Infinite Earths, the Marvel Ultimates line, and the New 52 come from. But generally, they stay the course and appeal to the existing fanbase, which isn't smart long-term thinking, but there you go.

The more successful movie and series adaptations of superhero comics tend to be those that jettison most of the continuity that only appeals to those few thousand hardcore fans, while focusing on the foundations of the characters, which have more universal appeal. E.g. teenaged nerd gets spider-like superpowers, fails to stop a criminal from killing his uncle, and now feels responsible for fighting crime. Really easy to understand. That same guy married to a supermodel, but in actuality a clone of himself, and he and his wife sell their wedded bliss to the Devil to bring his aunt back to life? WTF?

I think it's impossible to maintain a good coherent compelling story for more than 10 years. Five, if you cut the fillers and bullshit to a minimum. That's why I like the japanese model better: create one story, develop it, finish and be done with it. With rare exceptions, the japanese mangas never have sequels after it's done.

Now I'm kinda sad there wont be another episode on supergirl. It's not often we get to hear about a female superheroine who isn't Wonder Woman, Catwoman or whoever Scarjo was playing in Avengers. Unlike superman whose invulnerability just serves to play up his manness, it's kinda refreshing to have a female character who's the toughest dude around.

Also as a card-carrying supporter of 'team boobies' I give this three-part series an animated thumbs up.

"Made a pretty good movie" no it didn't.

so, a 4 part super girl phaze eh?

i'm down with it :D

The best part of this whole trifecta was that running commentary at the end. That made me smile so wide.

Glad we're moving on, definitely didn't see Super Girl needing this much coverage but there you go...

People find this confusing? Heh, I didn't find this confusing at all. Help that I read comics to begin with, that and I think superboy had a gender twist at one point. Anyway, this isn't confusing at all, with the internet you can find most of the lore readily available anyway. People says this shit is confusing. If I can jump in the middle of an X-men story line, and gather up enough information to get the entirety of the X-Men mythos so can you guys. It looks like a mountain, but turns out there's a pathway for a lovely stroll. Plebs.

themilo504:
So wait Christianity and Greek mythology both exists in the dc universe?
Did any writer ever do anything with that fact? Establish how that works?

Not really. Magic in the DC universe is kinda underutilized. That changed a bit with 52, but I'm not sure if they did anything with it.

And usually it's not chariot of the gods stuff. God is actually God, Satan is actually Satan, Ares is actually Ares and what ever. You'd think they'd screw around with it more but besides Zatanna there really aren't any consistently active magic users (to my dated knowledge).

Ragsnstitches:
Soooo... I guess that means it's too late to get into this? I mean, where do you start?

Seriously? And people say Metal Gear is convoluted... (it is, but this is completely off the charts in comparison).

Capitano Segnaposto:

It's not hard to start. Start with the New 52, I did, and I love it so far. Plus 52 version of her looks awesome.

Ok, that got rather confusing quickly, which Supergirl's that came from the rocket (the one that's based from that animated film) is from well which version?
Also nice way to continue speaking when the credit roll.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here