Zero Punctuation: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 16 NEXT

ObsidianJones:
Honestly, this whole thread has made me severely uncomfortable with all the seething going on.

For a little bit, I think I'm going to feel uncomfortable being a non-white escapist member. There's just... a lot of anger here.

You should hide for a while, I don't think it's safe out here.

OT: Zero Punctuation tells it how it is, once again.

cobalt358:
yahtzee knew exactly what he was doing, he knew the review would stir up a shitstorm and he played it to the max.

anyone who takes his "reviews" seriously is an idiot. he's torn right into games that i love and i couldn't care less, because it's always been about entertainment. if he tears down a game that i hold dear it doesn't matter as long as i get a laugh out of it, it's when they're not funny that i'm dissapointed.

as someone who couldn't care less about CoD one way or another seeing the levels of butthurt here is amazing (and highly amusing). but that's what this review was all about anyway, starting a shitstorm.

My problem with it is that when he does these reviews, they stop being funny since its just the same points he's mentioned before, and instead of going for jokes he mainly just spews hate.

I watch Yahtzee's reviews to laugh, not listen to 5 minutes of him repeatedly stating how much he dislikes the modern shooter genre

So many butthurt white people...

Oh, your tears are so delicious.

Its been sad to see the decline of the CoD series. From CoD4, which Yahtzee put up with the likes of Portal and Jesus Christ, to this meandering pile of coded nonsense. I immediately hated every character the second they were on screen. One looks like a character from Trailer Park Boys on steroids. And whats with not wearing helmets? I saw Saving Private Ryan- the dude without the helmet gets shot in the head. Don't be a hero- wear a helmet. It's war, not a bicycle.

Shame. It's a great game, with a fun, varied SP and always frantic MP. I've heard roughly zero reasons why it's a bad military shooter, or why such games are bad to begin with. And no, having other games do the same thing does not make another game bad, nor does having a bombastic, ridiculous story. The game have, in my opinion, only gotten better. CoD4 was awful: unbalanced perks, even more linear levels, less options for approach, more enemy threshold spawns, etc. BO2 is easily the best in the series so far, but as I'm sure that you'll all categorize this under the "b..but but games with bullets are bad for some reason!", I'd be surprised if you got this far. Not that it really speaks poorly of you or bothers me; I'm already enjoying the game.

As for the racism thing: it's really not here. It's not in the game, there is no "jingoist" nonsense, just having guns does't make a person a gun nut, the main villain is a drug dealer (as opposed to "just being non-white"),and the characters are (for video games), generally well written. Perhaps not particularly complex, but well written.

Oh, and seriously? This conversation has gotten incredibly stupid. Know what's bad, inexcusable, and still exists? Racism towards blacks, even if it goes much deeper than can be mediated on such a superficial level and most people aren't actually actively racist. Know what's still bad, inexcusable, and exists? Racism towards whites. Just because one group of people is disadvantaged and mocked doesn't make it ok to disadvantage and mock another group of people on a smaller scale.

Rastelin:

Anchupom:
Well there was umm... And that thing with the thing... And err...

Well to be fair to Black Ops 2. There was... umm... But wait!... There was... err...

Yes you sit there, just realizing there is a lot of graphics, but nothing new. Games does not amount to much
compared to the real problems we struggle with daily, but once in avail it would be nice to pay for something worth while.

The latest series I found worth the money was the Walking Dead. Was different.

New things in Black Ops 2? For Singleplayer, I can list quite a few things right away:
1 - Strike Force. Can't remember ANY previous FPS ever to have optional RTS missions, where you can also take control over your guys.
2 - Choices, which affect the story (not the gameplay, unfortunally). New for CoD.
3 - Customisable loadout before the campaign missions. Last time I saw that was probably a Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon (Advanced Warfighter)... so quite a while.

For Zombies
1 - TranZit (addional rules for Survival, A LOT larger map)
2 - Grief (a mode)

So, yes, BO2 does bring quite a few new things to the table - don't say otherwise.

Glad I didnt bother to buy it but then as much as I value and enjoy Ben's thoughts I rarely base my purchasing decisions on them. No I didnt buy it for a far more fundamental reason, Im just over these games now.

Modern Warfare was SO GOOD it was just a brilliant game. It had a connected story, developed characters and excellent gameplay with setpieces that really felt like a shitstorm of combat. The level where you have to wait for the helicopter after sniping the main villain and blowing his arm off was just awesome. There were limitless ways to play that level and I must have put 20 hours in just trying to perfect it and I enjoyed every minute.

Bad Company was excellent, Bad company 2 was good but not great. As for the rest both around and since, sadly, sadly including BF3 (Played BF2 for like years straight and still fire it up in PR) are just more of the same, same, sameness.

Im going to be picking up a copy of Far Cry 3, because for me if shooters are going to continue to interest me, they need to be more than just Wolfenstien 2012 on rails and that is extremely sadly where this is heading right now.

Imagine for a minute ARMA 2 unit accuracy and detail/realism, with useable controls, ARMA 2 scale maps, a series of objectives for 2 or more sides and say 64-132 players per side with BLOPS/BF3 level graphics! Why arnt we seeing a games like that instead of more of this unimaginative cashing in behaviour. Its lazy and I wish gamers would stop rewarding this second rate farming of a hungry market by flocking to buy the crap.

/rant off

Yahtzee really needs to stop reviewing FPSs because it's really getting embarrassing for him.

You know, I really loathe playing this card, but I can't imagine anyone else being allowed to get away with as much bigotry and ignorance on world affairs as Croshow does. Even discounting the "White people and Americans all suck" lines (which are bad enough), his ignorance about Nicaraguan resistence groups and the shit they do TO THEIR OWN PEOPLE is pathetic.

But hey, I guess you can still get called insightful and funny when you're a funny talker with a British accent despite displaying such ignorance.

amazing. the game sucks. well, no surprise there. we knew already that the SP is just a mindless time waster wile the MP is more the center of it. still, i dont think i will pick it up. new dlc for BF3 comes out and i will be busy with it.

1nfinite_Cros5:

xdiesp:
The Limbo reference sent me shivers down the spine after a few moments of remembering it fully.

It was surprisingly well-executed for his point as well. Never thought he'd find a way to use it as an example.

What reference was that, again?

OT:

Brad Shepard:
seeing how often you have posted in this tread, its clear that you will not take a point that does not agree with your own, you just want to argue, well, i wont give you that satisfaction, dont bother replying, you are blocked.

"Since you won't respond or deal with other people's posts, I won't do the same to yours". Smooth.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
Well, I can name about 7 people in the R&P Pit that will stop watching Yahtzee forever.

Did you list me among the pit that won't? Because I'm done with this bigoted punk. Pure and simple. I'm getting a little sick and tired of every time a CoD game comes out I have to get told by a Brit (you know, the country that held the entire world at gunpoint for several centuries and single handed doped up China for profit) how much white people suck. Seriously, if Croshow said half the things he said about whites about any other minority, he'd be out of here faster than you can say spunkgargleweewee. AND RIGHTLY SO. I hate playing that line, since it's the same line that right wing zealots spew off daily, but in this case, it very much applies. To hell with Crowshow. To hell with his bigoted show.

Ultratwinkie:

SNCommand:

Ultratwinkie:

Unless whites are rounded up and stuck in a concentration camp like Hispanics are in some western red states, its not true racism on the scale other races face.

Citation please?

I'm fairly certain there has never been concentration camps setup in the US for a singular race since WWII when FDR and the rest of his party got loony and sent all the people with Japanese ethnicity to camps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio
http://americasvoiceonline.org/blog/arpaio-boasts-about-his-concentration-camp-calls-out-puente-arizona-for-challenging-him/

He has a hard on for going after Hispanics. He tries to make his prison a concentration camp and he is extremely racist, and is a regular defendant over at SCOTUS.

The feds had many problems with him. They never do anything. Even with financial fraud, human rights violations, and a litany of other crimes.

Anyone who dares run against him is harassed by his officers.

No one seems to do anything about him.

Joe Arpaio being a corrupt attention whoring POS does not mean that everyone who shares his skin color is equally culpable and deserves any bigotry that comes their way.

Ultratwinkie:

Brad Shepard:
Welp, looks like im done with Yatzee, and btw, it is racist when people make fun of whites for the sake of there white, they are making fun of them for there race, thus its racist.

wow. Just wow.

So much butthurt over what Yahtzee said. Wow.

Whites don't have it as bad in terms of racism.

What do whites get that others don't get 10x over?

Small dick jokes? Asians hear them all the time.

White jokes? Everyone has jokes about their race.

Affirmative action? Whites already have that, its called normal life. Only difference is that affirmative action is trying to change statistics of minorities being poorer and less fortunate. That's it.

White privilege is like male privilege, just because you don't recognize it doesn't mean it isn't a real thing.

Ultratwinkie:

FallenMessiah88:
So it's okay to completely kill everything in sight in Just Cause 2? Why? Is it because the game takes place in Asia and the main character is hispanic or at least has a hispanic sounding name? So it's okay as long as it's not white people killing people of other ethnicities?

I won't comment on whether the game is racist and/or looks down on poor people, as I haven't played it yet. However, I will say that this whole "White people are privileged and so they have no right to complain about anything" is bullshit. Pure bullshit! I'm white, I'm male and I'm also straight, but that does not mean that I simply have to take it when someone disriminates against me. I've never enslaved anyone, I don't think that women are inferior to men and I've also never committed a hate crime.

I know that Yahtzee's reviews are supposed to be funny, but this just wasn't funny at all.

Also, It's called a first person shooter.

Because Just Cause 2 doesn't make "America fuck yeah" popular or as far as blops does.

America has destroyed a lot of nations in its past, often due to fear of communism. Its a particularly touchy subject in South America, who had to deal with American imperialism propping up dictators who kill thousands. All so communists won't "undermine America" which would have never happened anyway because the "domino" theory was pure bull shit.

military shooters fall into the same pit as Home Front and red dawn, a plot so paranoid and fearful you'd swear it was written by a nutcase amassing an armory of guns to go on a killing spree of "communist spies." The same nutcases who would go on a killing spree the moment they imagine the government doing anything because "they are communist puppets."

There is nationalism, and there is just being plain creepy. Games seem to be passing the line between the two. Especially when military shooters make a habit of gunning down people in the third world with very little way to fight back.

Where is the fun of a armed to the teeth military man shooting a poor farmer in the third world? Where?

Beating up on the defenseless would make me look like an asshole. Its like a game where you beat up new born babies, it just doesn't seem that fair.

Also: he calls military shooters spunk gargle wee wee because he hates the genre.

And you know what? There's a case to be made for it.

But how the hell do we jump from that phenomenon to the usual "You're white, so you suck" bigotry?

PS, any benefits I get from being white get negated by my sexuality, so don't throw the privledge shit in my face jack, as it wasn't until 2000 that it was against national policy to have local laws that lock me up for being lesbian. I know that, and I still say what I say.

haven't bothered with buying CoD after MW2. not the story, message, or concept that turns me off just that I can't justify buying the same game every year like it's Madden 20xx :/

tho I do understand ppl who wanna keep up to date with the MP and Zombies mode, even if it's not for me

"The planet of the assholes"

*shudders*

Did everyone miss the part where he drew a frciking awesome future for games. Why this racism war when there is Half Life at theaters.

DVS BSTrD:
Yes never mind that you continue to profit off a system that continues to oppress and exploit them and use any excuse you can think of to keep them from becoming equals.

Still doesn't change the fact that you're bigoted towards people soley for the circumstances of their birth.

I'm really not interested anymore in changing for the sake of people who'll hate me regardless.

GunsmithKitten:

Ultratwinkie:

SNCommand:

Citation please?

I'm fairly certain there has never been concentration camps setup in the US for a singular race since WWII when FDR and the rest of his party got loony and sent all the people with Japanese ethnicity to camps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio
http://americasvoiceonline.org/blog/arpaio-boasts-about-his-concentration-camp-calls-out-puente-arizona-for-challenging-him/

He has a hard on for going after Hispanics. He tries to make his prison a concentration camp and he is extremely racist, and is a regular defendant over at SCOTUS.

The feds had many problems with him. They never do anything. Even with financial fraud, human rights violations, and a litany of other crimes.

Anyone who dares run against him is harassed by his officers.

No one seems to do anything about him.

Joe Arpaio being a corrupt attention whoring POS does not mean that everyone who shares his skin color is equally culpable and deserves any bigotry that comes their way.

Know what?

My point is this:

If it isn't the gays.

If it isn't "brown people."

If it isn't the "feminazis" and "demon women"

If it isn't god damn republicans.

If it isn't the "shadowy" government.

If it isn't the greedy video game executive DARING to charge money for games.

If it isn't the annoying "parents" not doing what they want.

Its something else.

Escapists whine and complain about someone, SOMEWHERE is stealing their shit SOMEHOW or "bullying" them when in reality there is no such thing.

Its a feminism thread except the woman is now black. EXACT same format, different topic.

Same thing. Needless hate and sensationalism when in reality no one is trying to kill their demographic and take their shit. How the Escapist turned from a site about games to a conspiracy theorist site of "Us Vs them" where _____ controls the world is beyond me.

And frankly, that's all it is. Pointing out that the people they are scared of DON'T control the world. That they ARE NOT being hunted and persecuted SPECIFICALLY. The sky isn't falling, THERE IS NO DOOMS DAY LOOMING FOR THE WORLD. Its just doing what the world has ALWAYS done. Nothing to be concerned about.

You've played the sexuality card, what, 5 times now? And I still don't care because your sexuality has NO bearing on my argument. Again.

The Escapist needs to be less fearful.

I am totally shocked that a geek-oriented site would have insulated privileged white people talking out their asses.

JoJo:

ARCTIC_EAGLE:
Wow, worst review EVER! Any professional review would give this game, the most amazing in history, a 90-100 or 4/5. Every single part of this game is new and interesting and amazing, you're inability to recognize that demonstrates how bad you are at reviewing. When COD:B03 comes out in 2 years you can correct you mistake by giving it a 90-100 like every other reviewer will. Be sure to do the same for COD:MW4, COD:MW5, COD:BO4, COD:MW6, etc. They will ALL be amazing and look amazing and just be more amazing then the amazingly amazing game that came before. In fact they'll be so amazing they'll amaze you into an amazement coma of amazement.

OT: No surprises here, the last COD game I really enjoyed was MW2, I tried my brother's version of MW3 but got bored once I'd got past the London level. Liked the political rant too :-D

Jim Stirling gave it an 8.5 on a site where the average starts at 5 for god's sake! While the post was a little bit over the top it IS at least a decent game! Source: http://www.destructoid.com/review-call-of-duty-black-ops-ii-238414.phtml
(For comparison: Dishonored got 9.0)

Good show, Yahtzee...

*runs for cover*

So, CoD players, what were you expecting? If you truly enjoyed your CoD blops before, there's no reason not to now, is there?

This is the internet, try having the actual group of people you hang with play nothing but blops 2 and TT2. That's pain, and it's the tip of the iceberg.

(Sometimes you have to wonder if they're just in it to annoy you or if they actually enjoy button mashing and shooting each other in the back for hours on end. Zombies was kind of fun I suppose...)

BRING BACK THE REAL FPS... You know the fun, non-politically motivated kind. I'm looking at you, Free Radical... What's that...? Crytek... Whatever, but that seems like a bad thing, for some reason. Hopefully I'm wrong there.

*switches off megaphone*... *pulls down metal shutters*

Zeldias:

Father Time:

Zeldias:
Just popping in to say racism is about more than people hurting/being mean to you. It's also about the systems of oppression that operate throughout our (in my case, American) culture. White people can't be victims of racism because racism is about more than people hurting you;

Don't bother us with that bullshit 'privilege + power' definition, your side made up so you can say racism against whites is impossible.

Zeldias:

People who think it's possible to be racist against whites, particularly in America or Western Europe, are hilarious to me.

And that's because you're operating under a definition of racism that is bullshit.

This isn't sides; that's the sociological definition. If you don't like it, go write a fucking book and make arguments and get peer reviewed and shit. Unless you're gonna tell me that the entirety of academia is secretly trying to hurt white people's feelings.

But don't you see? Academia is trying to hurt people! Why else would they do stuff like think about an issue and look at it from more than one perspective. Clearly that's the work of poofy librals who duuk ar jahbs and confuse the issue by being clever. Rabble rabble.

But seriously, well said. You are a gentleman/lady and a scholar.

I laughed at the 'Your side made that up!". Good stuff.

Source: I'm an academic.

doggie015:

JoJo:

ARCTIC_EAGLE:
Wow, worst review EVER! Any professional review would give this game, the most amazing in history, a 90-100 or 4/5. Every single part of this game is new and interesting and amazing, you're inability to recognize that demonstrates how bad you are at reviewing. When COD:B03 comes out in 2 years you can correct you mistake by giving it a 90-100 like every other reviewer will. Be sure to do the same for COD:MW4, COD:MW5, COD:BO4, COD:MW6, etc. They will ALL be amazing and look amazing and just be more amazing then the amazingly amazing game that came before. In fact they'll be so amazing they'll amaze you into an amazement coma of amazement.

OT: No surprises here, the last COD game I really enjoyed was MW2, I tried my brother's version of MW3 but got bored once I'd got past the London level. Liked the political rant too :-D

Jim Stirling gave it an 8.5 on a site where the average starts at 5 for god's sake! While the post was a little bit over the top it IS at least a decent game! Source: http://www.destructoid.com/review-call-of-duty-black-ops-ii-238414.phtml
(For comparison: Dishonored got 9.0)

I don't deny it's probably a reasonable game, however Artic Eagle's post is so over the top it borders on parody and from what other posters have brought up about his post history, it seems most likely it is a parody, not to mention he's been on this site almost a year and has the "watched 100 ZP reviews" badge. You'd think after over a hundred ZP's he'd know in advance what Yahtzee's opinion would be on this game!

Man there's a lot of bullshit in this thread. It's a sad fact that a person can't make glib references to politics or race without it turning into a massive debate. Yahtzee is snarking about video game jingoism, not writing a essay. Treat his remarks for what they are, and think before you launch into a 1000 word counter-argument on the subject of white guilt. There is no point in arguing with a slogan.

Well that was an enjoyable review video thingy. Gave me quite the laugh. But the game itself was surprisingly enjoyable. The ending didn`t really feel very COD-ish, tho, not sure why. But still, i got what i was wanted: explosions and shooting and all the simple stuff in life. Fun. And now, back to Deus Ex: Human Revolution, since variety in gaming is good, and all that.

GunsmithKitten:
You know, I really loathe playing this card, but I can't imagine anyone else being allowed to get away with as much bigotry and ignorance on world affairs as Croshow does. Even discounting the "White people and Americans all suck" lines (which are bad enough), his ignorance about Nicaraguan resistence groups and the shit they do TO THEIR OWN PEOPLE is pathetic.

But hey, I guess you can still get called insightful and funny when you're a funny talker with a British accent despite displaying such ignorance.

To be fair, it says more about the audience than him. He talks crap all the time, it's a part of his videos. He goes over the top and often says things that are clearly untrue.

Then people take him seriously, and that's where the problems come in. Yahtzee is not a politics reviewer, he is not even a games reviewer. He makes videos picking holes in games for the purpose of satire, he is not normally serious and is very rarely accurate.

The people who call him funny are obviously giving subjective opinions. The people calling him insightful are generally missing the point. Take everything he says as a rant meant for amusement rather than a genuine opinion, and it isn't really an issue.

Yeah, I knew this is what was going to happen. Everybody was jumping to it's defence because it made some little changes and added in some new tech but forget that many other games have still done it ten times better with longer single player with possibly a more fleshed out multiplayer.

COD should fix all the basic complaints (short campaign, stop removing great features like private servers, etc.) and then move on to making things more interesting. COD4 was really clever how it represented the war and it's effects in it's own way.

I have no idea what your going on about with the racism though. I know I shouldn't make assumptions but I think you're just sick of killing the same races.

JoJo:
I don't deny it's probably a reasonable game, however Artic Eagle's post is

...is ironical, yes. YES.

Nazulu:

Legion:

GunsmithKitten:

To be fair, it says more about the audience than him. He talks crap all the time, it's a part of his videos. He goes over the top and often says things that are clearly untrue.

Then people take him seriously, and that's where the problems come in. Yahtzee is not a politics reviewer, he is not even a games reviewer. He makes videos picking holes in games for the purpose of satire, he is not normally serious and is very rarely accurate.

The people who call him funny are obviously giving subjective opinions. The people calling him insightful are generally either suck ups, missing the point or both. Take everything he says as a rant meant for amusement rather than a genuine opinion, and it isn't really an issue.

Mr. Objective argument and his blanket statements, gotta love 'em. I can make one, you're a fan boy that is deeply wounded and is now making a completely biased response because of all the pain. Of couse I'm not going to listen to what you say because any one against Yahtzee has his head up his ass. Do you find it annoying? Because I sure do.

Making these assumptions makes you just as immature as Yahtzee. Or are you just looking for a fight?

A fanboy of what? If you can answer me that I may be able to respond. I was not defending Yahtzee, I was pointing out that he is not supposed to be taken seriously. It is not his intention, and so people doing so are missing the point.

Just like all of those racist, sexist, ignorant comedians. Who are actually none of those things because they are telling jokes and trying to get a laugh, not making serious points.

I am not sure what fight I am supposedly picking (genuinely, I actually cannot see what I said that would be offensive except the suck up part perhaps).

Pages PREV 1 . . . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here