American McGee Sets the Record Straight on China's Game Policy

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Interesting piece, but putting words into Carl Sagan's mouth is completely intellectually dishonest. Did Sagan ever state that he was for state-based media censorship of religious and spiritual iconography Mr. McGee? He did not, and if you have any sense of respect for the man you would retract that statement. He identified himself as both an agnostic and an atheist in his writing, but neither of those instantly result in a support of censorship.

Don't use dead men to try to back up your points Mr. McGee, it shows a lack of professionalism. It also undermines the credibility of your claims of 'bad reporting' when you yourself are making unsubstantiated claims.

He has skin in the game on the other side and an interview like this puts him in good graces with those very regulatory agencies he has to appease.

A lot of problems with some of the things he said but it is 3am so I will keep it to one thing.

ESRB is a completely voluntary ratings board. While Walmart may choose not to sell games that are not ESRB rated that is a far cry from a governmental agency doing the rating and deciding what can and can not be published.

Basically he is over there to exploit cheap labor, cheap living, and a growing games market. His comments in this interview are self serving.

I am quite thankful for the nuanced responses both by the interviewee and the author of the original article in question. The Escapist, and the entire world, is need of more of this. If your worldview is black-and-white, your perspective probably needs to be widened.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, ESCAPIST AND MCGEE!!!!!

This is exactly the kind of articles that the Escapist should run! There are far too many people writing about China and calling themselves experts when they neither speak the language or have set foot in the country! Thank you for bringing some common sense to this matter.

As an aside, when I tell my Chinese friends about American media like Fallout 3 and Red Dawn (back when it had China in it) they laugh at the idea of China being able to destroy America and want to watch/ play the game just to see such a specatcle. They get a kick out of it!

Holy crap, did I just read American McGee defending himself against random people online?

That's like Vince Carter visiting my house after I say he's an overrated basketball player. It's fucking awesome.

But seriously, this whole discussion has been very interesting to read. Thank you to both Mr. McGee and the Escapist for starting this informative thread.

I thought it was interesting that McGee says that 360 and PS3 games have been banned for 10+ years. Those systems haven't even existed for that long. This, in an article where he decries factual inaccuracy!

Aardvaarkman:
I thought it was interesting that McGee says that 360 and PS3 games have been banned for 10+ years. Those systems haven't even existed for that long. This, in an article where he decries factual inaccuracy!

Consoles have been banned for 10+ years, both of them are current generation consoles.

AldUK:

hentropy:
Many of the announcers, baseball buffs who don't give two licks about international politics, called him Chinese and apparently the Chinese government cares so much about what regional baseball announcers say on air that they requested that Chen be called Taiwanese.

Just want to point out, that most Chinese people do not actually call Taiwan, Taiwan. They call the country and it's people, "Chinese Taipei."

Just as they refuse to acknowledge North and South Korea and refer to the country simply as Korea. (Due in part to China's continuous support of North Korea.)

Chinese people also refer to Tibet as 'Xizang' and consider the entire country a mere off-shoot of China. And they call China itself 'Zhonggou' which pretty much means "the center of the universe." Most Chinese people believe they have a God-given right to rule the world and I am NOT making that up. (Kinda wish I were.)

To be fair most countries, especially major parties (UK and US are very guilty of this) commit the final part, believing its their god given right to rule the world and impose their values (good and bad) on the rest of the world. It's human nature.

RicoADF:

Aardvaarkman:

Consoles have been banned for 10+ years, both of them are current generation consoles.

But he didn't say "consoles" have been banned. He said specifically that the 360 and PS3 have been banned. Hence, inaccuracy.

Aardvaarkman:

RicoADF:

Aardvaarkman:

But he didn't say "consoles" have been banned. He said specifically that the 360 and PS3 have been banned. Hence, inaccuracy.

And like I said, they are both consoles. Your correct that saying consoles would be clearer, but he wasn't factually wrong as they are both the consoles of today. Were arguing over semantics here.

RicoADF:
.... but he wasn't factually wrong as they are both the consoles of today.

But he was factually wrong.They are the consoles of today, not 10+ years ago.

Were arguing over semantics here.

The best thing to argue about!

Aardvaarkman:

RicoADF:

Wrong, the best thing to argue about is grammar.

"We're arguing semantics here."

Your =/= You're

Man, you are a gold mine.

Now, I'm not sure if it has already been brought up in this topic, but if I recall correctly... A few years ago McGee did say that he much enjoyed working in China because the (Chinese) people in his studio there "Don't ask questions and do as they are told". I'm not sure if Mr. McGee is the right person to ask these sorts of questions.

Salad Is Murder:

Aardvaarkman:

RicoADF:

Wrong, the best thing to argue about is grammar.

"We're arguing semantics here."

Your =/= You're

Man, you are a gold mine.

I was replying on my smart phone :-P Silly auto correction getting it wrong.

uh huh ... this smacked of trying to hard to justify the move to China, as well as kissing up to China.

w/e, I can get over that, what I found strange was the suggestion that the Chinese market had a chance of going global and 'taking over'. If what was said about consoles being banned to prevent competition for out side sources is true, then how would China's game company's survive on a global stage? They wouldn't be able to hide behind a monopoly in say, The UK (bet you though I was gonna say US), they'd go from being the 'only game in town', to 'one of a million', not to mention trying to steal consumers away from services they already use, and have used for years.

Sides, if it where possible it would have been done by now by some one else.

RicoADF:

If you keep blaming the machines, you will not be spared in the takeover...judgement day.

AH YOO SAAR CONAH!?

Salad Is Murder:

RicoADF:

If you keep blaming the machines, you will not be spared in the takeover...judgement day.

AH YOO SAAR CONAH!?

Err *shifty eyes* I didn't mean to demonise my world conquoring amazing smart phone.

Actually I still find it amazing that this little device has more power than my first 2 computers put together....

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here