Nerd Is a Universal Language

Pages PREV 1 2

s69-5:

JEBWrench:

You should try enjoying a modern military shooter unironically some time. It's great fun!

I tried to enjoy them. It didn't happen...
I just don't enjoy FPS games that do not have VATS or a switchable third person option.

Also, for me: Swords > Guns.
Your mileage may vary.

I was more referring to the internets backlash; but hey, to each his own!

That guy:
When I'm forced to play Halo with friends I seek out the sword or simply use my fists (assassinations and beat downs) for about 80% of my kills. That is when I'm not wandering around, lost, because I can't see peripherally and find the first person view to be disorienting unless in a tunnel (like most dungeons are made in TES).

Play Juggernaut mode. Ridiculous melee fun with a giant hammer.

I found myself hit like a roided-up baseball across the map in a game of Halo: Reach.

A Smooth Criminal:
It's a universal language. But you're not allowed to speak it if you have unpopular opinions or female genitalia

Oh, I dunno. I don't seem to need anyone's permission to nerd out all the time. :)

Susan Arendt:

A Smooth Criminal:
It's a universal language. But you're not allowed to speak it if you have unpopular opinions or female genitalia

Oh, I dunno. I don't seem to need anyone's permission to nerd out all the time. :)

Buuuuut gurls do not intuhrneht! u must be doin dis fur attenshen.

A Smooth Criminal:

Susan Arendt:

A Smooth Criminal:

It's true. I really just bluff my way through in the hopes that boys will like me better.

Susan Arendt:

A Smooth Criminal:

Susan Arendt:

It's true. I really just bluff my way through in the hopes that boys will like me better.

I always knew it. Even though you probably have more knowledge on nerd culture than me, you're faking it 100%.

Susan, your murderous spree of giving us escapist dogs great things to naw at has come to an end.

Susan Arendt:

You used to have a Zork reference in your profile, so that makes you cool in my book. The only thing that could up your cool factor in that respect would be to know who is Ms. Dunbar.

I spent many hours playing these games as a child on my parent's C64. On a side note, I would love if Jumpman were released in North America on Virtual Console. Space Taxi would also be nice.

"Can't we all just get along" is a nice sentiment in theory, but I find it's frequently used as a cudgel to try and silence legitimate criticism. Like, someone will say or do something horrifically racist or sexist, people will rightly call them out on it, and then others will weigh into the controversy with "can't we all just get along", as though the critics were just as wrong for objecting as the original person was for doing something objectionable in the first place.

Truth be told, there are underlying currents of racism and sexism in the nerd community. It's not that most nerds engage in such behavior, but nerdism has been a pretty insular group in the past, and the first instinct when someone on "your team" is criticized for something is always to jump to their defense and deny the criticism, and that kind of kneejerk defense of "our own" creates zones where intolerant people can get away with being intolerant.

But nerd culture is growing, and as it grows it becomes more diverse - which provokes those with intolerant feelings to make public asses of themselves, and becomes less insular - so there are more nerds willing to call their "fellow nerds" out on bad behavior. To be sure, there are others still rushing to shout down any criticism, and you get a bunch of nerd on nerd arguments as a result, which are only amplified due to how excellent the internet is as a medium for social drama.

It's a painful and awkward transitional phase, but I think in general our communities will be better off for it in the long run.

Greg Tito:

Kekkonen1:
Being Swedish I feel compelled to ask, what the heck is Bolles kök (Bolle's kitchen)?

Heh, it's the apartment where Boel lives and her friends have taken to checking in to Bolle's kok on Four Square or Facebook after the bars and clubs close. IIRC, it even has it's own Facebook page.

Never missing an opportunity for taking the piss out of Stockholm, I do wonder if the bars and clubs are ever open in the first place. :3

But then again, kitchens are cozy, and they were meant to just hang around having a good time in, even if its mainly in self-defence.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here