Escape to the Movies: Life of Pi

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Well not to start another religious flamewar, but if you get really down to it I think most religious people believe because they want the world to be a be a little less chaotic and that their lives have some bigger purpose.

Offcourse the big religions have text and prophecies that doesent really work IRL, and that is where the problems start.

So watch it cos it looks nice? No i wont. If the story sucks then why bother watching it? Spending money to watch it?

nice review but did moviebob just make a persona 3 reference moviebob if you're reading this I would love to know if you actually played persona 3.

Movie seems oke its message is stupid personally I don't find the idea of an omnipotent god very uplifting even if he is really all loving.

Also this video made me hungry for pie.

I thought Bob was above butthurt /r/athiest whine-botting but I suppose nobody's perfect. God to me has always been a concept beyond the logistics of reality or fiction. Present in both, exclusive to neither. Saying he exists just because it's more fun that way is as good an argument as any for both sides of the debate. Really, the problem with God is that everyone's concept of him is too limited. God is unlimited, completely and utterly. Taken to it's logical extreme, there is no possible argument for his existence because any logical concept of him would define a limit to him that we can conceive of. He exists simply because he can't not exist, they same way you and I do. Pi's argument is that it is necessary for us to believe in God because it is necessary for us to be uplifted. The other half of that argument is that if God did not exist then it wouldn't be necessary for us to be uplifted in the first place.

I quite enjoyed the book and liked the fact that the author's story did not make a huge amount of sense under close inspection giving the idea that maybe this guy has one foot in fairyland anyway. The big twist I thought was excellently done in the book under that context. It sucked all the fantasy out of the book fantastically and you saw Pi for what anyone would be after that ordeal.

I didn't really feel like the religion aspect was put forward so strongly. I thought it was pretty natural that someone who went through all that might believe in God. I would need to see the movie to judge it for myself. If it's having faith in an Empire of the Sun kinda way I'm down with it. If it's like Soul Surfer. fuck this film

I didn't really know what Pacific Rim was supposed to be about until I saw the recent trailer thing and that schematic. That instantly jumped to HOLY SHIT GIVE ME NOW.

Please please please be good pacific rim. Need. More. Giant. Monsters.

OT: Life of Pi looks cool too.....

Oh yes, Bob got his passion back. Didn't agree with the Silver Linings Playbook bit though, everything else was spot on.

Kinda figured this would happen, this is the kind of review that makes me think Bob doesn't read much. Everything has one interpretation and only one.
You can interpret it as anti atheist, but you can also interpret it as anti religion, funnily enough that';s usually the way the book is seen by the hardcore religious.
I've always seen the book as saying that all religions tell the same story and saying one is more invalid than the other is silly.
And the over arching point of the book for me is to believe in something, not to be cynical realist. Disagree with that all you want, but don't call the book philosophical drivel for it.

I may be biased in the fact the author lives in my city, and I've gone to several of his lectures.

tehweave:
After hearing so many people heap praise onto "silver linings" it's nice to hear some criticism.

Also, I'll watch Pi when it comes to DVD.

I'll write this about "Silver Linings": it was marketed dishonestly. Watch the tailor. It is marketed like a Rom Com with quirky characters:

It is not particularly romantic or funny. It is a nice slice of life about a guy with real mental illness. I brought my daughter and her friend and squirmed a lot in that it was more serious than funny.

While I prefer "Garden State" I did think this was pretty good.

soooo...
Isn't this based on a book?
Is the book this bad? why is this on high school reading lists and why are we making school kids read that?

'ASK ME WHAT IT MEANS, ASK ME WHAT IT MEANS!!!'

I might still se the film, it does look really easy on the eyes.

There's totally a sloth in one of those clips.

I'm just going to go see Rise of the Guardians again.

I won't debate the movie because I have yet to have seen it, and he may be right in that regard for all that I know...

But Bob should really avoid saying "self-indulgent".
Since it seems utterly hypocritical coming from him.

(Then again, that might be what a critic is, but with varying degrees. with Bob though...it's off the damned radar)

FelixG:
Optimus Prime also has a lot more media penetration than a cartoon that ended over ten years ago and ran for 3 years.

So what you're saying is that Doug wasn't the most important animated masterpiece since Fantasia? I don't know what kind of twisted world you're living in, sir, but it's not a world I want to live in.

hentropy:

FelixG:
Optimus Prime also has a lot more media penetration than a cartoon that ended over ten years ago and ran for 3 years.

So what you're saying is that Doug wasn't the most important animated masterpiece since Fantasia? I don't know what kind of twisted world you're living in, sir, but it's not a world I want to live in.

My world is indeed a scary twisted place, but I like it that way.

Now quiet you! I want to make a contract! :P

dubious_wolf:
soooo...
Isn't this based on a book?
Is the book this bad? why is this on high school reading lists and why are we making school kids read that?

Because pushing religion on youngsters is okay so long as you do it in a covert, non-denominational manner. Still better than Catcher in the Rye, though.

It's pretty sad how many people talk about how they were shyed away just because of the religious stuff in the movie.

As a huge fan of the book I was already iffy about this due to the overblown visuals- the novel had Pi seeing a lot of col stuff but it was usually pretty grounded in reality, whereas from the trailers it looks like his raft took a detour into the oceans of Narnia at some point.

Pi being quirky might be an invention of the movie or it might be a result of the transition from novel to film- in the book his narration was often quite downbeat and despairing and he spent most of his time focusing on the minutiae of survival, with the profundity usually reserved for the big "wonder of nature" set-pieces. It sounds like in the movie they downplayed the former and heavily increased the latter.

About the storie's message.... I'm a pretty staunch atheist myself, but I honestly didn't have a problem with it. What the story is saying- that people will generally believe what they find most comforting- is pretty much objectively true and while the book does seem endorse this as a good thing (something I wouldn't agree with) it's not done in an obnoxious way. The only part of the book that got my hackles up is near the beginning where Pi trots out the old Atheist Deathbed Conversion thing, but it's just a single sentence in an otherwise excellent book.

LHZA:
I'm kind of surprised Bob didn't mention Life of Pi is based on a book many thought to be un-filmable.

This. Someone give the director/etc. a medal for making a book that is all about philosophical wank, into an interesting movie.

Frankly, I don't think Bob even knew this was based on a book. (That's exaggeration, I'm sure he did, but he sure didn't act like it.) The book shouldn't have been filmable, because it was...long philosophical wank, just like he said. He should have *known* Pi was going to be exactly how he was, because the entire book is a philosophical diatribe. It's a great one! But it doesn't have a driving wonderful actiony plot hook that makes movies really go, so this thing should be praised just for having done well for its plot. Maybe it will encourage other directors to really put some oomph into their work and go for the weirder genres.

Most of his criticisms are as if he had no idea the book even existed. No one is going to go see this weird thing that doesn't know about the book, so we're all ready for it. The movie was about religion because the *book* was about religion. The plot twist was there *because* it was in the book. What did he want? People bitch if you deviate from the book, then they bitch if you don't?

Stabby Joe:
Pretty cynical episode but I'm intrigued by some of the earlier points you made (literal monster island?). Granted while this Pi character sounds annoying at least it's refreshing to have an Indian lead in a film billed as highly as it is.

As for the pre-review films, I would rather see a full Lincoln review now. Still having to wait in the UK since Oscar season films are released DURING the awards for even greater marketing.

As for Silver Linings Playbook, come on Bob, granted it's not all that originals or mind blowing but the characters are interesting and well played and it's not only great to see De Niro actually ACTING for once in the last couple of years but Chris Tucker (yes THAT one) isn't annoying, actually likeable. You may not care for it but a "piece of shit"? Far from it.

That's what I believe it probably is. I haven't seen it yet, though - it doesn't come out in Sweden until late February. :P

What really sold me on the film was the Spill Crew's review of the film. I trust their opinion far more than I trust Bob's, to be perfectly honest:
http://my.spill.com/profiles/blogs/silver-linings-playbook-audio-review

EDIT: Also ... "conventionally attractive"? Are you kidding me, Bob? Jennifer Lawrence is fucking gorgeous!

hentropy:
Still, how would you feel if a supposedly nostalgic geek expert said something like "That leader of the Transformers" when talking about Optimus Prime. And yes, I am saying Judy is just as if not more important than Optimus Prime.

Yeah, no. If any character in Doug is Optimus-important, it's Doug himself. And I'm not even sure Doug would hold his own as effectively.

In fact, the more I think about it, Optimus may be the most enduring single character from the golden age of Saturday morning cartoons. I say "single" because the Ninja Turtles are still around but they are recognized as a collective, and whatever reimaginings take place (e.g. the new Nick cartoon), it is still those four with the same names and basic personality types. The Power Rangers are the unbridled success that Voltron should have been, but there's like 30 different versions of the show, most of which feature none of the characters from the original series. There's nothing to tie them together other than the theme song and the ninjas-with-robots motif.

Optimus, and specifically a Peter-Cullen-voiced Optimus, is the Grand Unifying Force in Transformers lore. When second-gen Transformers floundered after they brutally murdered all of your childhood heroes, they revived the series by... resurrecting Optimus. His peripheral presence in Beast Wars et al lent weight to them as well.

Many of the doubts people had about the live-action movies faded when the first film opened with Peter Cullen's narration. Of course most of it came right back when they started following around Shia LeBouf for half the film, but still, Optimus. Same thing goes with Cullen's voice in the new Prime series.

Even Rescue Bots, a show my preschoolers recently discovered, featuring Dora-level animation and no Transformer you've ever heard of before, features conference calls where they report back to the boss... Optimus. Voiced by Cullen.

Even my wife recognizes the voice and person of Optimus immediately, and she doesn't give half a toss about cartoon robots.

There may be a character from that era with as much reach and gravitas as Optimus, but I can't think of anyone it might be.

The moral sounds like a theological version of the moral of Secondhand Lions. From the sound of it, Secondhand Lions did it better. I can't comment on whether it's also a better movie about a boy and a big cat or not.

Foreword: I am an atheist, and I have only read the book, not seen the movie. With this out of the way...

I find the book to be much more of a study of why we (as a species) tend to believe in deities rather then the other pushing it on us. As an atheist, the final question had an obvious answer, but I did not feel threatened by the possibility that there's an argument for the other position, nor that other people might choose differently.

Indeed, if this had been written with the intent of pushing religion, do you honestly think

That said, the book itself had a few problems, the most important of which is how much the first third of the book sucks. Nothing happens for a good 80 pages. It has some merit, in that it somewhat sets up the final twist, but it could have been chopped down to half its size and it would still have worked. Heck, the movie probably helps with that.

So anyway, about this movie.

I'm not sure I buy the "here's all my criticisms of this movie, but go see it cause at least it ain't Transformers 4" Based on his description, it sounds like a combination of the survivalist lone character of Cast Away and the "choose to believe my fanciful story" whimsy of Big Fish.

Do yourself a favor, if that's what you want to see, give this movie a pass and just watch Cast Away and Big Fish. Both are eminently better films with much more watchable leads (Tom Hanks and Ewan MacGregor, respectively).

Well judging from your review it sounds pretty much exactly like the book. I remember reading it in High School and thinking how douchey Pi was. Why do you have to be so God Damned Quirky!?

Man Bob is really missing the point of this movie. Maybe its because he didn't know its based on a book and I can't say how well the movie does compared to the book but there are traits of Pi that are being missed. Like his three religion thing? It's not because he is quirky, it is because he believes that God is a single being worshipped by all. He doesn't have a thing against atheist because he respects that they believe in something but he does have a problem with agnostics because they refuse to make a choice. Oh and the Tiger isn't named Richard Parker because its Quirky its because it's the name of the Hunter who caught it but when transporting it to Pi's Family Zoo the official messed up his and the tiger's name. The family found it funny so they decided to keep it that way. Also the author used that name because the name has links to cannibalism involving ships. For example two ships, elven years apart, with the same name both sunk. The first one the crew turned to cannibalism, on the second ship there was a man named Richard Parker. There was also a 17 year old who was a victim of cannibalism when the ship he was serving on as a cabin boy, sunk. His name was Richard Parkers.

A shitty allegory for why people should believe in God? Yup, gonna pass on that one, thanks.

Lunar Templar:

Grenge Di Origin:

Also also, don't get that last Calvin and Hobbes strip. I mean, I get that it was great, one of (if not the) greatest American comic strips, but I just don't get what it's referencing. Is it a statement that C&H is a better "Human and Tiger" story than Pi, or perhaps, amid the current season, that C&H represents the Christmas season in a more self-reflecting and heartfelt manner than pretty much any stale, boring and flat ABC Family production combined? Someone explain...

my thoughts?

Calvin and Hobbs was meant to be a reference to a 'better Life of Pi', give how many C&H stripes where about something with out, what I'm gathering form the review, being annoying or pretentious about it, as Pi seemed to be

Bob had me worried for a second that Bill Watterson had died, because he showed the final strip. Fortunately, that does not seem to be the case.

Silk_Sk:
I thought Bob was above butthurt /r/athiest whine-botting but I suppose nobody's perfect. God to me has always been a concept beyond the logistics of reality or fiction. Present in both, exclusive to neither. Saying he exists just because it's more fun that way is as good an argument as any for both sides of the debate. Really, the problem with God is that everyone's concept of him is too limited. God is unlimited, completely and utterly. Taken to it's logical extreme, there is no possible argument for his existence because any logical concept of him would define a limit to him that we can conceive of. He exists simply because he can't not exist, they same way you and I do. Pi's argument is that it is necessary for us to believe in God because it is necessary for us to be uplifted. The other half of that argument is that if God did not exist then it wouldn't be necessary for us to be uplifted in the first place.

I had to wipe the vomit from my mouth when I was done reading this one.
Let's start with the first sentence, oh, an ad hominem? Nicely done.
So God to you is beyond reality. I've got news for you, that would mean god doesn't exist.
God could easily exist, for you to say there is no limit on what god is, is putting a limit on what god is. You're saying that god can't be that backwards Christian god, or Allah, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, when in reality, god could be any of those things, you simply don't know.
Oh, and I don't exist because I don't exist. I exist because I exist.
Also, belief in god depresses me more than it uplifts me, so that kinda destroys your argument.

TLDR: Your post is nothing more than pseudo-philosophical tripe.

The visuals look outstanding

Silk_Sk:
I thought Bob was above butthurt /r/athiest whine-botting but I suppose nobody's perfect.

I think Bob's problem with the movie's message wasn't so much about it being "Believe in God! It's FUN! :D", as it was how they brought the message to the viewer (By having an annoying character like Pi give it to us).

I mean, I believe in God and I think there is SOME truth to the message (as in I think some people can decide to believe in God for that reason), but even I thought the whole thing was annoying because of how we were brought to it.

That all said, there really isn't any "necessity" in believing in God, and that seems to be alright with God from what I can see. I mean, Jesus said himself that as long as you're a good person you don't need to be of any specific faith to get to heaven. Also, while the ten commandments do say to not make yourself out be be God, or to treat something/someone like God it never says you HAVE to believe in any "actual" God.

So from that I would gather that as long as you're a good person you'll be just alright even if you don't believe in God. That is really ture with almost everything though.

{Disclaimer: I understand that there are many other religions that may hold somewhat diffrent beliefs about this subject, but my knowledge of them is far more limited than Christianity, Judaism, and Islam who for the most part share either these philosophies/prophets who spoke of these philosophies(note: I said they share them. Not always follow them.)Also, the three religions above also share the habit of some of there people going around saying that only their religion is right. And that's really sad. :( }

FOR THE FIRST TIME, Movie Bob made me laugh lol The Doug`s sister thing was just fantastic!
Anyway, I believe in God, but if that's the message the movie gives, let's face it, it's true, we all hold our believes to give us a purpose, to make something worthy, to find answers to questions still unanswered, that's me, I believe in God, but I get and agree with that atheist stand.
Anyway, I don't feel like watching the movie, looks like a Hindu Final fantasy rip-off hahahaha

Movie Bob always seems to do much better reviews when he can keep an emotional distance from things that come up in the movie he's reviewing. For example, he heaped glowing praise on the incredibly shallow and insulting Avatar because "it was like Thundercats and Robotech"... in other words it reminded him of things he liked as a child and therefore he missed the whole "indigenous people are a helpless mass of shallow stock characters unless they have boobs and let a white guy hit that thang, and their only hope of survival is if a white guy shows up and does everything they can do better than they do because he's white and therefore the only character the target audience can identify with" message.

And this review sounds an awful lot like that going on. Like the moment he heard, "This story will make you believe in God" he just decided it was an anti-atheism movie and got his back up. Which is pretty odd, given that what he describes as the film's religious message sounds awfully close to the way he himself advocated Gnosticism in Nerd Gods. Now the two approaches to religion aren't exact match-ups, and Nerd Gods is almost 2 years old so it's understandable if he's changed his views since then. But to review the movie (which doesn't require a commentary on the philosophy espoused by the characters in the movie) in light of his own personal beliefs/interests is an unprofessional habit that I was happy to see Bob step away from lately. So it's disappointing to see him backslide here.

Imp Emissary:

That all said, there really isn't any "necessity" in believing in God, and that seems to be alright with God from what I can see. I mean, Jesus said himself that as long as you're a good person you don't need to be of any specific faith to get to heaven. Also, while the ten commandments do say to not make yourself out be be God, or to treat something/someone like God it never says you HAVE to believe in any "actual" God.

That sounds like a (dead) lawyer trying to convince an angel that he's allowed in Heaven in though he doesn't believe in God lol Like looking the commandments for gaps to make your way in lol

Seems a bit unfair to be down on the film - the opening 60-odd pages of the book are utter tripe, too. It's only once the shipwreck happens that anything is interesting. And the ending, with the darker story, is given almost off-hand when the policeman interviewing him asks what happened to the others on the ship, asking if the policeman would prefer to believe that...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here