Escape to the Movies: Life of Pi

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Bob, you do realize that posting THAT Calvin and Hobbes comic will trigger speculation about you ending the show right? (That particular one is the last one ever made. The Omega of the comic)

I don't think Bob really got the ending, or that this was based on a famous book.

The whole movie is practically a note-to-note adaptation of the book, modeled around the premise that the writer of the book is visiting the actual Pi, who narrates his terrifying story. It was an interesting way to handle the movie imo. The quirkiness was in the book too, so I don't really have too much of a problem with it as its decently done (I did, however, hate it in the book, as barely anything interesting happens in the first hundred pages or so).

But the movie doesn't advocate religion in any way, shape, or form. I saw it, and its not half as bad as Bob makes it out to be.

Overall, I liked it. The CGI was mostly great, save for Richard Parker himself and a small instance with an elephant at the beginning (which both display uncanny valley at points, but I can forgive that since placing the actor on a boat with an actual tiger would be ludicrous). My biggest complaint with the film was the same one I had with the book- it drags on a bit too long for my tastes. The religion thing from Bob is way overblown.

Big twist: Pi is irrational

As an who hates religious/political 'message' books more than most, I think he got it wrong with this one.
Saying: "And so it is with God", he is not giving this as a reason that you SHOULD believe, but rather an observation that this is the case any way. It's not an argument for divinity but an observation of how in every day life people will believe the less believable story because it's 'nicer'.

Samus Aran but a man:
Hmm... I adored Silver Lining's Playbook. The screenplay was so damn good. It's in my Top 3 films of the year. I'm shocked that Bob would call it a piece of s*%t.

I'd like to know more about what made Bob hate Silver Linings Playbook so much...was any part of it set in the 90s? Something like that would probably set him off. This is the first time I've heard anything really bad said about it, though since there's no backup given as to why he thinks it's a "piece of s**t, I don't know if we can really count it.

Hey Bob -

Normally a huge nod to all your work, but I feel you did yourself and this review a disservice by not mentioning the novel this was based on. Also, I'm not sure the book or movie was ever trying to say that you should believe in god, just that having faith is a source of hope for many people. It's a well illustrated point, and whether you agree with that point or not, I don't think the narrative condescends to its audience - it gives you the choice between the bleakness of reality and the wonder in a fiction, and even illustrates how one informs the other. Myself, I've never been resolved on where I stand about religion, but I don't subscribe to any organized one, and this film didn't offend me. I wonder why it did you?

Keep up your thoughtful work, all the same. This is the first place I come for intelligent takes on film that don't get bogged down in pretension.

All the best.

So

drewcifer1984:
Myself, I've never been resolved on where I stand about religion, but I don't subscribe to any organized one, and this film didn't offend me. I wonder why it did you?

Hopefully because of it's banality rather than it's message, because religion being a lighter untrue reality that people escape to because they can't bare the stark awful coldness of real life is pretty much the default (and even as a religious person, most sensible from that perspective) way to understand religion. That's not a religious message at all. To be fair the collecting religions thing was driving me that way anyway. Ecumenicalism and pantheism are beliefs that people can have but they aren't as uniting as they sound or particularly pleasing to people of different specific religious belief, because you have to strip away a lot of the stuff people think is important about their God and religion, before it can gell with others. You can believe the Muslim and Christian God are one and the same, but the christian religion affirms strictly that Jesus was God and the Muslim religion as strictly affirms that he wasn't, so it's essentially the same as saying that they're both wrong

MovieBob:
Life of Pi

MovieBob takes us on a very special boat trip with Life of Pi.

Watch Video

Nice vedio Bob,

I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here.

Thanks for sharing us a great Vedio.

MovieBob:
Life of Pi

MovieBob takes us on a very special boat trip with Life of Pi.

Watch Video

I am very satisfied with your ideas and interesting topics.Like this blog platform to show your excellent writing skills.

Bythe way:Thank you for this great Vedio,

Samir Karnik Movie Review

Not to ressurect old topics, but I've just seen it.

The first 20 minutes or so (maybe 30) looked like a super try hard ultraquirky hipster's wetdream of Amelie from Montmartre.

A vegetarian, muslim-christian-hindu named after a swimming pool? Oooooh....sounds like something my manic pixie guyfriends would enjoy.

But that ship scene, the whole storm....urgh. My anus was clenched and my jaw dropped to the floor. Fucking amazing.

I wish I could hate this movie :(

I am slightly miffed by Bob's review of this one, I mean yeah Pi is slightly annoying and not brilliantly acted but it's hardly as bad as he makes out and not exactly unique for this film. And yeah the preachy message is weird, but it's mentioned off hand at the start and end and that's it... I don't feel like the movie makers are trying to convert anybody!

Eh...

I don't really agree with what you say about Pi and the whole anti atheism thing. Yeah, it does talk about believing in God, but as an agnostic, I never felt it was trying to force it down my throat.

As for Pi himself? Yeah, he's quirky, and I kinda did question why he was running around on the boat in the middle of a storm, but considering that the whole ship was going to sink anyway, I can forgive him for that.

Personally, I thought the movie was fantastic. I can definitely see why a lot of people enjoyed it so much.

Being an atheist myself I loved the movie...never felt like it was having such a clear message as Bob tries to get out of it.
Maybe he didnt really understood the ending.

HalloHerrNoob:
Being an atheist myself I loved the movie...never felt like it was having such a clear message as Bob tries to get out of it.
Maybe he didnt really understood the ending.

Thank you. As a theist myself, I give you my respect *tipping my hat to you*.

IMO, the movie and the book tried to make the answer ambiguous for the reader and the viewer to find out. Maybe the author/director was being not so direct for a reason: there is always a room for a personal/reasonable explanation for such phenomenal feats. As for what the reader/viewer believes in the end is up to them, not the narrator or whatever the book/movie has to offer. The ending, for me, was neither for theism or atheism. It was, rather, an agnostic piece. Always questioning and providing evidence for and against, but never siding for one or the other. Whether you wanted to believe more beautiful, not-so-realistic version, or true and gritty realistic version is up to reader/viewer.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here