No Right Answer: Best Star Trek Captain Ever

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Best Star Trek Captain Ever

This is the big one, the debate that we've been afraid to attack for fear of not being up to the task. With a year of debates under our belts, it's finally time to ask the question of best Star Trek captain. Brace for impact!

Watch Video

I'll not lie I was expectinjg you guys to pansy out on a draw coming into this but know you picked one, and it was the one I picked good choice

Fuck you Dan!
Sisko is the MAN!

But he's also not a captain, he's a commander. Janeway was a bitch.
And that's it. There was nobody else.
At all
>_>
<_<

DVS BSTrD:
Fuck you Dan!
Sisko is the MAN!

At all
>_>
<_<

He was the best commander (suck it riker) and then when he got promoted at the end of season 3, he was the best captain.

Sisko owns the universe.
Also, he punched Q.

What a silly discussion!

... Everybody knows Picard is the superior officer.

Ne1butme:

DVS BSTrD:
Fuck you Dan!
Sisko is the MAN!

At all
>_>
<_<

He was the best commander (suck it riker) and then when he got promoted at the end of season 3, he was the best captain.

I would have known that if I'd ever been able to watch the series all the way through (curse you Spike TV!)

ZZoMBiE13:
Sisko owns the universe.
Also, he punched Q.

THAT I remember :)
But did Q ever come back?

James T. Kirk was a terrible captain. Terrible. Don't get me wrong, he was fun to watch, but as far as being a good captain, I'm sorry, but Kirk needed to be busted down to ensign.

DVS BSTrD:
Fuck you Dan!
Sisko is the MAN!

At all
>_>
<_<

at least Janeway didn't woos out, and call starfleet every time something bad happened. it was just her ship, and that was it. If you are going on she is a bitch because she is female then Sexist.

also if you would remember there were a few times when Kirk was demoted from Captain.

George Takei is the best captain.

I'm glad to see Picard win. Way more authority (probably due to his silky, yet booming, voice). Much more intelligent. Also, doesn't spend his time sleeping with aliens. He leaves that to his crew (mostly).

Sisko is the best Captain. He punched out a space god, became a space god, started a war with the Dominion and beat the shit out of them, and built the first Federation Warship.

gardian06:

DVS BSTrD:
Fuck you Dan!
Sisko is the MAN!

At all
>_>
<_<

at least Janeway didn't woos out, and call starfleet every time something bad happened. it was just her ship, and that was it. If you are going on she is a bitch because she is female then Sexist.

also if you would remember there were a few times when Kirk was demoted from Captain.

Janeway was always right because she was Janeway. Not because she solved her problems by either punching them or sleeping with them, not because she actually had to figure shit out, but because her "gut" told her to. But if anyone else had an opinion: "You don't Know that."

And you do know calling Starfleet is what you're suposed to do when you're monitoring a wormhole to the other side of the Galaxy.
And Sisko and DS9 can take care of themselves fine, just ask the Klingon Empire

Also, Picard knows how to grow bald with dignity.

Picard, he took an arrow to the shoulder to prove he wasn't a god.

Picard anyday, that is all.

Janeway!

Kirk would punch a threat, Picard would negotiate a threat. Janeway would NUKE A THREAT!

Where is the the Archer love...I mean he pretty much created the fedration and showed that humans were ready for the rigors of deep space? But what it comes down to is really personal prefernce. Do you want the macho man badassness that is Kirk ( a prodcut of his time the 1960s) or do you want the calm and reserved Diplomat that Picard was.

JPArbiter:
Janeway!

Kirk would punch a threat, Picard would negotiate a threat. Janeway would NUKE A THREAT!

Sisko would blackmail the threat.

Soviet Heavy:
Sisko is the best Captain. He punched out a space god, became a space god, started a war with the Dominion and beat the shit out of them, and built the first Federation Warship.

He also allowed his wife to get killed, raised an annoying little kid, and wound up in some weird state of pseudo-death after trying to be some deity to a group that he was trying to recruit into the Federation despite the fact that they were pretty much worthless as an ally.

DVS BSTrD:
Fuck you Dan!
Sisko is the MAN!

At all
>_>
<_<

Except he was promoted at the end of season 3.

Mm, personally I find Kirk rather hard to take seriously, but then again I haven't really seen much of Picard...

DVS BSTrD:

gardian06:

DVS BSTrD:
Fuck you Dan!
Sisko is the MAN!

At all
>_>
<_<

Janeway was always right because she was Janeway. Not because she solved her problems by either punching them or sleeping with them, not because she actually had to figure shit out, but because her "gut" told her to. But if anyone else had an opinion: "You don't Know that."

And you do know calling Starfleet is what you're suposed to do when you're monitoring a wormhole to the other side of the Galaxy.
And Sisko and DS9 can take care of themselves fine, just ask the Klingon Empire

so when Gibs from NCIS uses his gut to figure stuff out, and it works all "that was awesome", but when Janeway does it "your a bitch" and she did actually listen to her team more often then your stating, and she was willing to not only admit when she made a mistake, but was also willing to announce it to her crew. And no Sisco didn't call Starfleet every time either there were quite a few occasions when he was like "we got this, no need to inform Starfleet until something goes wrong (which it did).

Avaholic03:

Soviet Heavy:

He also allowed his wife to get killed, raised an annoying little kid, and wound up in some weird state of pseudo-death after trying to be some deity to a group that he was trying to recruit into the Federation despite the fact that they were pretty much worthless as an ally.

He didn't allow Jennifer to die. Sisko was only a commander on the Saratoga, not the Captain. Did he choose to go after the Borg? No, and he was dragged away from his wife by the lieutenant-Commander before he could reach her.

As for Jake, he isn't as annoying as Wesley Crusher, and I actually enjoyed his friendship with Nog.

There is a difference between things Sisko did on his own, and what he was told to do.

Christopher Pike for Life, beetchs!

I suppose that the core foundation of this debate is how different the original series is from TNG, and both Piccard and Kirk are the ultimate representation ofthe ideals at the heart of each series. Kirk is the more adventureous, alpha male type guy who'd rather solve problems through, say, punching aliens in the face and sleeeping with their women, and Piccard is the more thoughtful, calculating type guy who'd rather fight you intellectually, which is the main dynamic between him and Q.

Sisko for the win.

Though Garak could take any of them down. Garak is the Batman of Star Trek universe.

I think what should really be considered is the political implications of each captain. Kirk would outright tell people that he thought they were stupid and backwards, but Picard was able to hold back his opinions in favor of diplomacy. It's not as fun to watch, but I'd feel a lot safer knowing Picard was the one negotiating with the Klingons.

DVS BSTrD:
Fuck you Dan!
Sisko is the MAN!

At all
>_>
<_<

This is what really never made sense to me in DS9. Even throughout wars, who the hell puts a Commander/Captain in charge of an alien space station right next to a wormhole?

Also, Picard, obviously.

Sisko is the best of all worlds.
He is the man of action that Kirk was (someone already mentioned the boxing match with Q "Picard never hit me"),
the brains and Diplomacy of Picard,
and the sexiness of Janeway.

Enterprise never happened.

Hear that? The Internet is coming for you. It will leave not a bone, not a scrap of existence in it's wake. And Chris is safe in a bunker, well played.

Also, I liked Janeway too Chris. Who had even more of Qrazy adventures with our favorite omnipotent being.

Got to agree with the general consensis... Sisko was the best!

-He was cooler than Kirk.
-More professional than Picard.
-Far more understanding than Janeway.
-and everything better than Archer!

Sisko all the way!

Different strokes for different folks

Kirk - Action Captain
Picard - Sensible Captain
Sisko - Badass Captain
Janway - Crazy Captain
Archer - "We hardly knew ye" Captain

Being the sensible man, I prefer Picard over the rest of them. Also, Patrick Stewart is just too awesome.

No love for Archer? I'm kidding. I know there's no love at all for Archer.

Hopefully in a few months we can revisit this as a debate between Shatner Kirk and Pine Kirk. Haven't had enough Pine Kirk to really say anything yet. With luck the next movie will be good enough for someone to consider championing him.

Way to go total cliche.

The only thing keeping my vote from Sisko is the books have turned him into one hell of a whiner lately.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here