No Right Answer: Best Star Trek Captain Ever

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

psychopez:
Sisko for the win.

Though Garak could take any of them down. Garak is the Batman of Star Trek universe.

AMEN. Anyone who says Sisko is dumb hasn't watched all of DS9. Be afraid of this tailor, be very afraid

Overmind78:

psychopez:
Sisko for the win.

Though Garak could take any of them down. Garak is the Batman of Star Trek universe.

AMEN. Anyone who says Sisko is dumb hasn't watched all of DS9. Be afraid of this tailor, be very afraid

Indeed. Except that Garak doesn't have rules like Batman. He will kill you.

DVS BSTrD:

gardian06:

DVS BSTrD:
Fuck you Dan!
Sisko is the MAN!

But he's also not a captain, he's a commander. Janeway was a bitch.
And that's it. There was nobody else.
At all
>_>
<_<

at least Janeway didn't woos out, and call starfleet every time something bad happened. it was just her ship, and that was it. If you are going on she is a bitch because she is female then Sexist.

also if you would remember there were a few times when Kirk was demoted from Captain.

Janeway was always right because she was Janeway. Not because she solved her problems by either punching them or sleeping with them, not because she actually had to figure shit out, but because her "gut" told her to. But if anyone else had an opinion: "You don't Know that."

And you do know calling Starfleet is what you're suposed to do when you're monitoring a wormhole to the other side of the Galaxy.
And Sisko and DS9 can take care of themselves fine, just ask the Klingon Empire

This. That is exactly why Janeway is my favourite. Look at the first truly huge call she had to make; Voyager gets thrown thousands of light years across space, half her crew are killed and she decides to merge her remaining crew with that of a traitorous Maquis vessel simply so they could all stand a chance of all returning home. She's got a real rag-tag crew and some severe trust issues going on in just the first couple of episodes.

Besides, the only reason she didn't call Starfleet every five minutes with due to the whole "lost in space" thing the show had going on. Just sayin'

I'm a Picard person. Kirk got to be an action captain, a space cowboy if you will, and blaze the trails and take the risks and therefore anything he did was almost automatically given a "best it could be under the circumstances" kind of approval. Picard had to work within a system that was considerably stricter with more pressuring elements from alliances, harmony maintenance, and consideration for consequences that made his job as captain more stringently judged, but still managed to command with admirable dignity and get the desired results almost without exception. Kirk didn't have to share a spot light, Picard had to manage a crew of subordinates effectively - he had to know how to delegate and even though it seems counterintuitive, that is actually a more difficult task. Think back to all the group work you've ever had to do. Easier most times to say f-it and just do it all yourself, consequences to quality be damned? You betcha. Forced to bring equal work product into harmony and keep people motivated to produce, get along, and contribute to the common goal - exactly what makes group work a pain the the ass. Picard could pull it of. Kirk would have just slapped together something and thrown everyone's name on it under his (which would, of course, be in a bigger font).

I would much rather work for Picard. Far better survival odds. I'd rather not work for a man who's lost 9 security chiefs due to death, thanks.

FEichinger:

DVS BSTrD:
Fuck you Dan!
Sisko is the MAN!

But he's also not a captain, he's a commander. Janeway was a bitch.
And that's it. There was nobody else.
At all
>_>
<_<

This is what really never made sense to me in DS9. Even throughout wars, who the hell puts a Commander/Captain in charge of an alien space station right next to a wormhole?

Also, Picard, obviously.

Well, they only discovered the damn thing after they took over the station. I might have re-assigned sisko after it was found though. Oh, yes, and Sisko was promoted to captain.

Janeway! Any day, every day.

She brought almost all of her crew home, where the rest of the captains lost tons every season. Also, she took on the Borg Queen and won. And did it all for the love of coffee.

Soviet Heavy:
Sisko is the best Captain. He punched out a space god, became a space god, started a war with the Dominion and beat the shit out of them, and built the first Federation Warship.

i have to agree, the premise of the dicussion was flawed, it should have been "picard or sisko".
kirk actually was kind of racist, just not towards other humans, but to klingons as was shown in "the undiscovered country" (yes, he got over it, but only barely)

portal_cat:
Picard, he took an arrow to the shoulder to prove he wasn't a god.

This.

Picard had a real sense of honour about him that other captains just lacked.

Janeway was nearly always wrong. Kirk was a douche. Sisko was ok, but he never had the same authority as Picard.

Ah, the eternal nerd debate. This is like debating over the chicken and the egg.

I respect Picard, and Sisko (although the latter was a total douche at times), but best captain by far is Archer. Guys, this dude saved the Klingons, and Vulcans, and Earth, all while having a shitty 1st gen Warp 5 ship.

Also he's the best characterized captain who actually feels like a character.

Of course Picard is great but he'd be nothing without the experienced Hamlet actor.

The answer is Picard.

Move along.

Sisko, definitely, as the most interesting character of all the captains. Picard is too idealized.

I would rate the captains like this:

1. Sisko
2. Picard
3. Janeway
4. Archer
5. Kirk

Come on everyone:

In all seriousness, Picard all the way.

el_kabong:

To be fair that's just bad writing, it's a trope of 'beat up the toughest guy to prove how badass the baddie is'. The fact that it is always Worf means he's supposed to be the toughest.

Plus he kinda proves it during the dominion war, guy beats up dozens on Jem-hadar(?) even though he's had the crap kecked out of him for weeks.

OT:

My order:

1. Sisko - great leader, doesn't mind getting his hands dirty, can actually crack a joke
2. Picard - great diplomat, not afraid to risk it all
3. Archer - Enterprise happened, it was good, get over it
4. Janeway - would do anything for her crew, wouldn't back down from a fight
5. Kirk - just don't like TOS, dull, boring and almost like a poor studio rip-off of the others.

*flameshield activated*

You know, if Gene Roddenberry were alive when DS9 was first thought up, no way would there be that bullshit religious aspect of the emissary. That was so fucking stupid, those episodes were GARBAGE.

OT why the hell did no one mention captain archer?! HE WAS BAWSE!!!

Hitchmeister:
No love for Archer? I'm kidding. I know there's no love at all for Archer.

who said there is no love for me? because i will shoot them with this gun until they love me. like seriously.

Quick question for whoever made the graphic for this on the front page, why is Picard sitting in front of the Enterprise C?! SERIOUSLY WTF?! HE WAS NEVER CAPTAIN OF AN AMBASSADOR CLASS STARSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course Picard won, a more posed and tactical captain :P
Also: My favorite (as in, love to hate) space Nazies were just better than the Star Trek ones

rhizhim:

Hitchmeister:
No love for Archer? I'm kidding. I know there's no love at all for Archer.

who said there is no love for me? because i will shoot them with this gun until they love me. like seriously.

You win this thread, sir. Well played.

I am withholding my vote until someone kills Zap Branegan and saves that universe. Whichever captain does THAT gets my vote.

This was inevitable I suppose. Good work, men.

In my book, Picard will always win out because THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!!!!

Also, props to Kyle for sneaking a Caddy Shack line in there. :3

mattttherman3:
You know, if Gene Roddenberry were alive when DS9 was first thought up, no way would there be that bullshit religious aspect of the emissary. That was so fucking stupid, those episodes were GARBAGE.

OT why the hell did no one mention captain archer?! HE WAS BAWSE!!!

Roddenberry gave Behr and Piller the go ahead to make DS9 before he died. He okayed the show.

Hitchmeister:
Hopefully in a few months we can revisit this as a debate between Shatner Kirk and Pine Kirk. Haven't had enough Pine Kirk to really say anything yet. With luck the next movie will be good enough for someone to consider championing him.

I'd totally champion Pine!Kirk. Not because I really like him better than Shatner, but because everyone is so butthurt about him, when I think he did a good job, considering all the circumstances in the first rebooted Star Trek movie, the most dire of which was a bad script.
I loved the reboot! Loved it, because it loved me back, it was really so hyper in its love for Trek. It also lacked sense, and science, and there were way too many convenient coincidences, but it was really so enthusiastic. Like an eager puppy. That just pissed all over my rug. Makes you angry and bitter, but how can you not love that goofy face?
So yeah. I'd totally champion Pine!Kirk for that.

OT: Picard over Kirk, but TOS over TNG.

Dan:
[Kirk] built the Federation

I believe you are incorrect, Archer created the first alliances and treaties that eventually became the Federation.

Which brings me to my point, Archer is the best captain. Picard had the weight of Q's judgement on his shoulders? Well Archer had the entire future of the human race on his shoulders. He was alone, utterly alone fighting the Xindi. The NX-01 was the only ship that was capable of saving Earth from total destruction and he had to survive any way he could. Which brings me to my next point; Picard (and I assume Kirk, haven't seen much Original series) at the end of nearly every episode, would set course for the nearest Starbase to rest and repair. Archer didn't have that, he had to repair his ship with anything he could get his hands on in the middle of nowhere, he couldn't just run back to Earth or a Starbase every time he encountered the Xindi, he had to survive utterly on his own and he succeeded. Rather than just defend Earth when the Xindi attacked, Archer took the war to the Xindi homeland, the Delphic Expanse, which was full of spatial anomalies making navigation difficult. Plus, Archer became entangled in a temporal cold war with beings from a thousand years into the future. Which just sounds cool. Picard and Kirk had it cushy compared to Archer.

Also the NX-01 was an explorer ship, not a warship. Picard and Kirk's Enterprises where chock full of torpedoes and phasers and could blow away anything that they came across. The NX-01 didn't even get Photon torpedoes until season 3 (?). Their ships also had shields, all the NX-01 had for protection was to polarise it's hull plating. And he still managed to take on an entire race of beings that wanted his total destruction and succeed.

Here's a topic for another episode: Coolest Wizard Ever. Make it so!

What about Christopher Pike? ^^

Janeway - She's the most interesting character and comes across as the most human.

Despite that, I still visualize Picard or Kirk when Star Trek comes up.

For me:
Picard
Janeway
Archer
Sisko

TimeLord:
snip

Soooo much agreed. If you pull the "weight on shoulders" argument, it gotta be Archer.
I mean, ENT was awful for the whole time war stuff and it being a shameless prequel ... But that in no way affects Archer's captain role.

Captain alone, my list is definitely
1. Picard
2. Archer
3. Sisko
4. Janeway
5. Kirk

Azuaron:
James T. Kirk was a terrible captain. Terrible. Don't get me wrong, he was fun to watch, but as far as being a good captain, I'm sorry, but Kirk needed to be busted down to ensign.

Lets not forget Kirk also Cheated to become a captain. He also nearly got his CO killed on his first outing. Also most of the time his reaction was to either screw or slap whatever he came in contact with. Kirk was terrible. Absolutely terrible as a captain. He should have been put on a garbage scow. *Grumble*

TimeLord:

Dan:
[Kirk] built the Federation

I believe you are incorrect, Archer created the first alliances and treaties that eventually became the Federation.

Which brings me to my point, Archer is the best captain. Picard had the weight of Q's judgement on his shoulders? Well Archer had the entire future of the human race on his shoulders. He was alone, utterly alone fighting the Xindi. The NX-01 was the only ship that was capable of saving Earth from total destruction and he had to survive any way he could. Which brings me to my next point; Picard (and I assume Kirk, haven't seen much Original series) at the end of nearly every episode, would set course for the nearest Starbase to rest and repair. Archer didn't have that, he had to repair his ship with anything he could get his hands on in the middle of nowhere, he couldn't just run back to Earth or a Starbase every time he encountered the Xindi, he had to survive utterly on his own and he succeeded. Rather than just defend Earth when the Xindi attacked, Archer took the war to the Xindi homeland, the Delphic Expanse, which was full of spatial anomalies making navigation difficult. Plus, Archer became entangled in a temporal cold war with beings from a thousand years into the future. Which just sounds cool. Picard and Kirk had it cushy compared to Archer.

Also the NX-01 was an explorer ship, not a warship. Picard and Kirk's Enterprises where chock full of torpedoes and phasers and could blow away anything that they came across. The NX-01 didn't even get Photon torpedoes until season 3 (?). Their ships also had shields, all the NX-01 had for protection was to polarise it's hull plating. And he still managed to take on an entire race of beings that wanted his total destruction and succeed.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Archer was probably the best captain. He had massive stakes to contend with, and no support except that which he basically had to bleed for. Janeway would be my second vote. She saved earth from the Borg numerous times and developed a weapon in the future which made them somewhat useless.

Granted... she's an admiral now which makes the whole thing moot... but still!

bdcjacko:
George Takei is the best captain.

Han Solo every day of the week.

Soviet Heavy:
Sisko is the best Captain. He punched out a space god, became a space god, started a war with the Dominion and beat the shit out of them, and built the first Federation Warship.

He did NOT start the war. THEY DID, not us, not us. [/cheesy melodrama]

OT: I am glad to see so many here here agree that Captain Sisko was a great Captain. but not the best.

MY LIST:

1. Captain Picard : Obvious I know, Diplomat, Scientist, Skilled tactical commander. A good leader is approachable and friendly, but not your friend.

2. Captain Sisko : He helped Bajor(sp?) recover after a devastating 70 years of oppression. He may not have wanted to, but he became a very good spiritual leader. He lead his people into battle, he stood on the front lines at times, firing at the enemy.

3a. Captain Johnathan Archer : He was the first Captain of an Earth Warp 5 Starship. Through his skills in Diplomacy he helped to found the Federation. Also, he knocked the logic INTO the Vulcan's. His daring during the Xindi incident saved Earth.

3b. Captain Janeway : The only reason she is this low on the list is because there are just too many great captains in Starfleet history. Her guidance and leadership brought two crews together, in then got her people home in only 7 years.

5. Captain Kirk : Honestly, while I like him, he did suck at being captain. He never delegated away missions, he slept with every one who crossed his path, though he never slept with anyone on his crew that is in his favor. Kirk was creative, and a good leader, but I would never want him to be promoted above Commander, and that is a stretch.

1,,,2,,3a3b,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,5

That is how I rank them in a race. Picard out in fount, with Sisko slightly behind. Archer and Janeway are tied and only slightly behind Sisko. And Kirk was being lapped by Picard.

Excuse me, but no Archer? No Sisko? No Pike? No Janeway? No Mackenzie Calhoun?

You need to see more Star Trek.

Picard all the way. he was just so commanding and capable but without any effort. more cerebral while kirk was more brute.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here