No Right Answer: Best Star Trek Captain Ever

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

JPArbiter:
Janeway!

Kirk would punch a threat, Picard would negotiate a threat. Janeway would NUKE A THREAT!

Kirk would often sleep with the threat.
Thereby becoming the threat.
Space syphilis.

Oh Great and Sacred Holy Cow...

What shows were you people watching? Time to clear up the misconceptions:

Kirk - The "Action" Captain - Was he more exciting and likely to punch something in the face? You're darned right he was, but only when there was no other choice. Kirk was ALWAYS trying to move through the diplomatic approach, except when it was against orders / unlikely to get results (see cloaking device steal or Klingon occupation). Most of the time, while there was action involved, he solved the problem with words and good sense. He also was fighting space Gods long before Sisko made it cool, and did it several times. The list includes Sha Ka Ree, Apollo, and Trelane (just to name a few). He was a well balanced captain, who showed the most humanity of any other captain in both getting old, become irrelevant, and the special bond he shared with his crew (see Wrath of Khan / M-5 / The Final Frontier).

Picard - The "Diplomatic" Captain - It's funny that to be a diplomat, you would have to negotiate with something so that both sides get what they want while losing as little as possible. Why is this funny? Well, the first action that he took as Captain of the Enterprise was to surrender to Q. French jokes aside, he was smart and persuasive but far too often let technology fix the problem rather than hold it down and beat it into submission like Kirk. He got his own deeply human moments, from his experience with the Borg to his interaction with Data. He also went up against the Gods, but why is punching them in the face something that is to be excited about? In Q Who when he becomes human, the feeling of pain surprises him because he doesn't feel it with his powers. Q was mocking Sisko when he said Picard never hit him because he realized how stupid and easy to manipulate Sisko would be. Picard could go up against Q in philosophy and wit, though the scope of his perceptions were frequently limited. This is why he is #2.

Sisko - The "Took most of the Series" Captain - Sisko was unique in the fact that he was the only captain who we saw in a long term war with an enemy. In this time, we saw Sisko as a brave and charismatic leader. If that was all we saw of him, that would have been fantastic. However, we also got to see him skip and sing in a board game, use some very shady and un-starfleet tactics to manipulate and cheat those around him (I'm not even talking Romulan/Dominion, look at how he got Quark to stick around and then complain about what a pain he was), and he lacked the stones to just kill his enemy and be done with it (Gul Dukat anyone?). This is before the fact that we look at him as the worst of all the actors who played Captains. Yes, worse than monotone Bakula. He was a great stupid oaf and lack conviction, and I felt that Garrack was the voice of the audience complaining about how simple-minded he was. P.S. Riker beat him to God-Powers. So... how does he rank #3?

Janeway - The "Bitch" Captain - I really don't know why anyone defends her. The previous three Captains that came in Star Trek lore had varied relationships with their crew, but never had one treated their crew like Dictator Janeway. They even had an episode of evil Janeway (it was a recreation of a historical event that apparently was "min-informed"), but I couldn't tell the difference between the two. Janeway was the result of the writers trying to show how hard a Captain had to be when all they could rely on was themselves, but this was handled so poorly that all it appeared to do was make her look like she was perpetually ovulating. Other than all that, her biggest crime was the lack of character. The biggest character trait was an addiction to coffee... which is not that interesting. Oh... and Voyager also ruined Q.

Archer - Got bored after the first season, so I never finished Enterprise. Don't judge me, most people didn't. What do I remember? Archer: "Why are the Vulcans being so mean? I just want to play with the fellas! I'm old enough, they won't beat me up!" The rest of the episode was him getting beat up. Wash, rinse, repeat for 16 episodes.

i feel the right choice was definitely made. i saw the score 3 to 4 at the end and knew he just had to survive the drink test and that would be the end, tensist moment iv felt in a long time i practically shouted "DRINK! DRINK YOU BEAUTIFUL BASTERD!!! at the computer screen

picard is deeply moral, highly logical and intelligent, Picard is also a master of diplomacy and debate who resolves seemingly intractable issues between multiple parties with a Solomon-like wisdom. Though such resolutions are usually peaceful, Picard is also shown using his remarkable tactical cunning in situations when it is required put is not afaried to get his own hands dirty when he needs to (see first contact for case in point). Picard has a fondness for detective stories, Shakespearean drama, and archeology. He is frequently shown drinking Earl Grey tea simply put hes the thinking mans captain which is exactly the kind of man you want Manning a diplomatic warship.

also lets not forget that he SURVIED BEING ASIMALTED BY THE BORG!!! and party thru sheer force of will regained his humanity a feat unheard of til 7 of 9.

Gilhelmi:

1. Captain Picard : Obvious I know, Diplomat, Scientist, Skilled tactical commander. A good leader is approachable and friendly, but not your friend.

Oh right, the skilled tactical commander. So skilled that they named moving the ship in battle the "Picard Maneuver". What a visionary.

Daaaah Whoosh:
I think what should really be considered is the political implications of each captain. Kirk would outright tell people that he thought they were stupid and backwards, but Picard was able to hold back his opinions in favor of diplomacy. It's not as fun to watch, but I'd feel a lot safer knowing Picard was the one negotiating with the Klingons.

Perhaps you've never heard the old Vulcan proverb, "Only Nixon could go to China."

Okay, so I'm not the only one who likes Captain Sisko. I really think the debate is between him and Picard, especially since Sisko doesn't like Picard. They both are from the best time of Star Trek, the 1990's.

James T. Kirk is not a man I'd follow into the reaches of space. All those dead redshirts vital to the operations of the Enterprise, sending the highest-ranking officers on the ship on away missions instead of soldiers, it's like Kirk was trying to make sure he got the shot to pilot the ship by himself just to prove he could. Picard, though, he's an actual leader. He can be diplomatic, he can be badass, he can be a hardass when nessecary, he can be your best friend, it's like they distilled all the best leadership traits into him.

psychopez:
Sisko for the win.

Though Garak could take any of them down. Garak is the Batman of Star Trek universe.

I don't recall Batman being a tailor in his regular life.

Ima just leave this here

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=299

DTWolfwood:
Different strokes for different folks

Kirk - Action Captain
Picard - Sensible Captain
Sisko - Badass Captain
Janway - Crazy Captain
Archer - "We hardly knew ye" Captain

Being the sensible man, I prefer Picard over the rest of them. Also, Patrick Stewart is just too awesome.

I love Sisko but ya Picard is tops!

I kinda miss the old days of NRA, when this would have been a debate about Capt. Harriman vs. Capt. Garrett.

Rogue 09:
Oh Great and Sacred Holy Cow...

What shows were you people watching? Time to clear up the misconceptions:

Kirk - The "Action" Captain - Was he more exciting and likely to punch something in the face? You're darned right he was, but only when there was no other choice. Kirk was ALWAYS trying to move through the diplomatic approach, except when it was against orders / unlikely to get results (see cloaking device steal or Klingon occupation). Most of the time, while there was action involved, he solved the problem with words and good sense. He also was fighting space Gods long before Sisko made it cool, and did it several times. The list includes Sha Ka Ree, Apollo, and Trelane (just to name a few). He was a well balanced captain, who showed the most humanity of any other captain in both getting old, become irrelevant, and the special bond he shared with his crew (see Wrath of Khan / M-5 / The Final Frontier).

Picard - The "Diplomatic" Captain - It's funny that to be a diplomat, you would have to negotiate with something so that both sides get what they want while losing as little as possible. Why is this funny? Well, the first action that he took as Captain of the Enterprise was to surrender to Q. French jokes aside, he was smart and persuasive but far too often let technology fix the problem rather than hold it down and beat it into submission like Kirk. He got his own deeply human moments, from his experience with the Borg to his interaction with Data. He also went up against the Gods, but why is punching them in the face something that is to be excited about? In Q Who when he becomes human, the feeling of pain surprises him because he doesn't feel it with his powers. Q was mocking Sisko when he said Picard never hit him because he realized how stupid and easy to manipulate Sisko would be. Picard could go up against Q in philosophy and wit, though the scope of his perceptions were frequently limited. This is why he is #2.

Sisko - The "Took most of the Series" Captain - Sisko was unique in the fact that he was the only captain who we saw in a long term war with an enemy. In this time, we saw Sisko as a brave and charismatic leader. If that was all we saw of him, that would have been fantastic. However, we also got to see him skip and sing in a board game, use some very shady and un-starfleet tactics to manipulate and cheat those around him (I'm not even talking Romulan/Dominion, look at how he got Quark to stick around and then complain about what a pain he was), and he lacked the stones to just kill his enemy and be done with it (Gul Dukat anyone?). This is before the fact that we look at him as the worst of all the actors who played Captains. Yes, worse than monotone Bakula. He was a great stupid oaf and lack conviction, and I felt that Garrack was the voice of the audience complaining about how simple-minded he was. P.S. Riker beat him to God-Powers. So... how does he rank #3?

Janeway - The "Bitch" Captain - I really don't know why anyone defends her. The previous three Captains that came in Star Trek lore had varied relationships with their crew, but never had one treated their crew like Dictator Janeway. They even had an episode of evil Janeway (it was a recreation of a historical event that apparently was "min-informed"), but I couldn't tell the difference between the two. Janeway was the result of the writers trying to show how hard a Captain had to be when all they could rely on was themselves, but this was handled so poorly that all it appeared to do was make her look like she was perpetually ovulating. Other than all that, her biggest crime was the lack of character. The biggest character trait was an addiction to coffee... which is not that interesting. Oh... and Voyager also ruined Q.

Archer - Got bored after the first season, so I never finished Enterprise. Don't judge me, most people didn't. What do I remember? Archer: "Why are the Vulcans being so mean? I just want to play with the fellas! I'm old enough, they won't beat me up!" The rest of the episode was him getting beat up. Wash, rinse, repeat for 16 episodes.

Just a thought but Voyager was stuck far far far away from normal federation space so the style of leadership is different. Any use of Q after TNG was bad so meh.

Meh Dukat was a minor character with major role of being the go to villain for the series, I can't blame Sisko for him not being killed off. Also with how DS9 played out Picard would not have done much differently. So I scoff at your dislike of Sisko :P

Very nice argument overall. I'm still not convinced one way or the other (they're both so different and so iconic), but I think that Kyle won the debate fairly.

Glad you didn't go for Sisko vs. Janeway though. Not that I don't think an argument can be made for both, but I just don't think there's enough fervor on either side to merit a real debate. I'd love to see DS9 versus Voyager though; one's heavy and philosophical, the other is fun but often retarded with little dashes of brilliance here and there.

Zachary Amaranth:

bdcjacko:
George Takei is the best captain.

Han Solo every day of the week.

Ooooo my.

RJ 17:
In my book, Picard will always win out because THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!!!!

Exactly this. The strengths of all of the captains have been debated already, and most likely no one will move their opinion (very personal opinion after all), but I feel like Picard had a strong emotional strength that allowed him to get through situations like this, to persevere. I'm not sure Kirk would have made it through that ordeal, or being assimilated by the Borg, the way Picard was able to. Even after his assimilation, Picard still found the strength inside of himself to help his crew out and destroy the cube. I'm not saying Kirk wouldn't have found a way out of these situations via a different way, I just believe that Picard had an emotional conviction that defined him and made him stronger than Kirk.

As for Janeway...always the hate. I liked her because, wow, female captain! However, that being said (and my personal bias towards seeing powerful women, for which there aren't enough), they had horrible writers for the first half of Voyager. Most of Seasons 1-2 was each writer oscillating between making Janeway more feminine or more assertive. What came out was an almost multiple personality character that felt out-of-control 50% of the time. After Season 4, the writers finally stabilized due to DS9 ending, Mulgrew got more say in her character, and Janeway became a much bigger force to deal with. Somehow, she also had the loyalty of the crew (how many times did they die for each other and/or her?), defeated the Borg half-dozen times, and got her crew home. Most of the time, you'd get a medal for getting your crew home no matter the cost.

I don't have much more to say other than that. I can't say much about Kirk (can't stand TOS, sorry), never really saw Sisko in action (DS9 is on my watch list), and Archer...ugh.

Still, as they said, this is the biggest nerd battle that will never die. Furthermore, I think we'll all set in our convictions that debate is almost pointless. They did say no right answer...right?

Sisko. He's been the only competent military officer.

Picard was just a hard ass that flew around the galaxy from the comfort of his fancy living room spouting Gene Roddenberry's diarrhea while sipping tea.

Janeway suffered from sexism in that the creators of the character were so defensive about it they turned her into a spiteful, hostile pitbull and a bitch for a CO.

Imagine if her character had been male.

Kirk was badass but suffered from Roddenberry's "Humanity is the saviors of the galaxy" vision.

Picard was the diplomat and negotiator. Did the galactic exploration like Kirk, but in suave style.

Sisko was the most human of the captains. He had realistic and normal troubles beyond being a captain, and his flaws were well explored and characterized better than any of the other captains. Like picard, he could be the diplomat, and like Kirk, he could be the action hero, but most of all, the way that DS9 did a convincing deconstruction of the Federation and its philosophies allowed to show the true nature of captain sisko. That as the ultimate badass who got shit done. As for not killing Dukat? Yes, why on earth would a Federation officer choose not to kill the most powerful political and military leader of a superpower that the federation JUST made peace with? No idea there. /sarcasm off. The cardassians and federation didn't go to war again until midway thru season 5, after which it would have been impractical. Or did you miss the bit about how the protege of the Obsidian Order wasn't even able to make contact without any of his old network getting murdered by Dominion security simply for having been spoken to by him? Performing an assassination would have been WAY outside bounds for the federation (I could see section 31 making a try at it tho). Hell, for a good portion of the series, Dukat was used as Sisko's inside influence on cardassian political maneuverings. He was even an ally during the federation/klingon war.

Janeway was just terrible. Nothing against strong female leads. I loved Jadzia, but Janeway suffered from three things: terrible writing, complete psychosis, and ALWAYS RIGHT syndrome (one of the hallmarks of a mary sue). Janeway would constantly and consistantly make terrible decisions. Tactically unsound commands and diplomatic faux pa were her calling cards, and the worst part is that somehow she would always be "right" regardless. Sikso, Kirk, Picard, and even Archer all had major episodes where they screw up and get called on it. Janeway never has this happen, which makes the whole thing all the worse. The whole Q wants her babies thing only made it worse.

Archer was okay, but rather bland. I think he suffered mostly from the way that Enterprise ret-conned certain set pieces of Star Trek lore such as Vulcans being more militant and Klingons and Romulans making contact with humanity far earlier than they were supposed to. I found his best interactions to be with the Suliban, the Xindi, and surprisingly the Androans. He and the actor of commander Shran had good screen chemistry.

1.Captain Sisko...

punched Q in the face.
had sex with alternate reality Dax
Is a half god
Cloaked federation warship
Went to war with Klingons and won
Punched the Dominion in the face and won

2. Pickard

Saved humanity from Q in the first damn episode
can't beat that first episode

3. Archer

Hijacked a random ship and stole parts off it.
Pretends to be a nice guy but is a true asshole.

4. Janeway

Had sex with 7 of 9...in my mind of course

That is all

saintdane05:
Excuse me, but no Archer? No Sisko? No Pike? No Janeway? No Mackenzie Calhoun?

You need to see more Star Trek.

Calhoun is one badass motherfucker. I don't think any other person completed the Kobayashi Maru quite the way he did.

Picard was the man that filled the role of captain the best. Commanding a Galaxy class star ship with 1000 crew members/scientist/researchers/families was something none of the other captains has done, on top of being captured and tortured by the cardassians during a secret covert mission, discovering and being assimilated by the borg, constant battles of intellect with Q and lets not forget the weekly new life and new civilizations bit. He kinda did it all.

Kirk was Chuck Norris with a hard-on and a ship.

Sisko and Janeway seemed like an attempt at a black Picard and a woman Picard that had large grandiose plot devices dropped in their lap, I blame the writers.

Archer was...(sigh)

Spearmaster:
Picard was the man that filled the role of captain the best. Commanding a Galaxy class star ship with 1000 crew members/scientist/researchers/families was something none of the other captains has done, on top of being captured and tortured by the cardassians during a secret covert mission, discovering and being assimilated by the borg, constant battles of intellect with Q and lets not forget the weekly new life and new civilizations bit. He kinda did it all.

Sisko and Janeway seemed like an attempt at a black Picard and a woman Picard that had large grandiose plot devices dropped in their lap, I blame the writers.

Archer was...(sigh)

I see Sisko as the anti Picard. He is not the best captain, but the most human. When contrasted against Picard, Sisko runs on his emotions, tempered by morals, while Picard remains professional and keeps his personal biases under control. That is why Picard is the captain of the Flagship, while Sisko was shuffled from one post to the next before he finally got his life back on track.

Still, nobody can quite threaten the way Sisko can.

And to the people accusing Avery Brooks of overacting.... look at his company.

And

I can't find videos for Janeway or Archer, because Janeway's ethics change every episode, and Archer is too incompetent to overact.

ZZoMBiE13:
Sisko owns the universe.
Also, he punched Q.

Was it punched or a thorough bitchslap? I feel the latter would be preferable to someone like Q.

I'm sorry, but I love Sisko. Here's three reasons why:

1: He was a war officer. Let's face it ... his job from half way through Season 1 to the end was keeping the peace and juggling the gateway to an untapped resources of 1/4 of the entire Galaxy. He was a soldier who lost his wife in battle against the Borg. He was a militant vanguard against the predations of various factions within Bajor. He, by his ownsome, dealt three deathblows to three MASSIVE factions t5hat sought to destroy the Federation and re-conquer Bajor to unlock the hidden potential of both quadrants of the galaxy.

2: Sisko had to commit -WARCRIMES- to achieve his objectives and for the greater good of the Federation and Bajor. He wasn't an evil guy, but he accepted that war is a horrible thing that needed to have the rules bent in order to win. He had to juggle his morals and the likelihood of success and is the perfect example of Utilitarianism over stringent moral codes.

In essence, he was the most -Human- of all the ST Captains. He was this morally upstanding guy put into a situation where he has to shoulder the responsibility and the guilt of having to perform actions that would have crushed the soul and sanity of either Kirk and Picard.

Sisko does not have a happy beginning, and he doesn't have a happy end. His hands covered in blood and his career besmirched with a string of sinister actions that were a necessary evil in the light of the problems faced.

3: Sisko has to deal with things beyond the realm of Science. He has to deal with the supernatural, and his connection to that supernaturalism. There is no scientific debate, he has to make a sincere leap of faith to rationalise his life and his significance. And he gives up his son and second wife, his very corporeality, to maintain the balance and act as a force of good.

He sacrifices everything not in the fight of discovery, or the right to life and happiness, but simply to fight the very conceptual ideality of evil itself.

Darth_Payn:

ZZoMBiE13:
Sisko owns the universe.
Also, he punched Q.

Was it punched or a thorough bitchslap? I feel the latter would be preferable to someone like Q.

You have my permission to remember it however best suits your needs. In my memory, it was something akin to Ryu's Dragon Punch. Sho-Q-Ken!

I'm not much of a fan by any stretch but I've seen the show in syndication and Kirk usually leaves Scotty or Spock in command when he goes down. Both are arguably great or better than kirk at actually captaining a ship in their own ways. The only reason they ever really have trouble is due to complications happening planet-side with the away team and Scotty has shown himself throughout the series to be a highly competent and courageous Commander. He had his flaws but of all the possible Captains, Scotty seemed the most.... Human.

DVS BSTrD:

Ne1butme:

DVS BSTrD:
Fuck you Dan!
Sisko is the MAN!

But he's also not a captain, he's a commander. Janeway was a bitch.
And that's it. There was nobody else.
At all
>_>
<_<

He was the best commander (suck it riker) and then when he got promoted at the end of season 3, he was the best captain.

I would have known that if I'd ever been able to watch the series all the way through (curse you Spike TV!)

ZZoMBiE13:
Sisko owns the universe.
Also, he punched Q.

THAT I remember :)
But did Q ever come back?

No he did not!

Q didn't return to the station for the rest of the series, nor did he have fun with the Defiant.

Of course Sisko had to deal with the Founders, the Vorta (especially four of the clones of Weyoun), Dukat, being a Messiah figure to the Bajorans and the Ferengi.

Glad to see the love for Sisko on the escapist. Kirk was too blunt, Picard too self-important, Janeway too... well shit, no one knows but she was too something, and Sisko was too badass. Not afraid to kick down doors if he has to, but a real legend when he needs to be. Also:

Never watched ToS, just the movies. William Shatner was interesting, but it seems to me to be a melodrama from another age and I get the feeling that it'd be too hard to relate to now, to really get into. Maybe I'll pick it up one day.
Kirk just seems like the Alpha Male that plunges into some situation without really informing the rest of his crew. He doesn't need their cooperation, he just needs information so that he can carry out his plan, based on a hunch.

Picard will always be my favourite, but all of the other captains were interesting to me.
The most heartfelt episode of any Star Trek series was Sisko getting caught in a loop, reappearing at different intervals in Jakes life.

Each series had something to offer.

-TNG was the pure technological advantage of the future, how when procedures were followed as much as possible, humanity had the means and the heart to evolve and prevail.
-DS9 showed the gritty truth beneath the holy era of the Federation. The ugly decisions, the questionable morality of the Federation, the uneasy stability of the quadrant in general.
The whole series questions TNG and just how difficult it is to maintain the Prime Directive in practice. War is inevitable when ideas and cultures clash and that's where DS9 shines, showing that you have to get a little dirty to keep the rest of the quadrant safe and clean.
-Voyager was an interesting take on how a federation trained crew would deal with the unknown all by themselves and also has to break their own rules once in a while, just to survive.
-Enterprise showed what we may be facing when traveling past the immediate stars and how we need to be prepared if there's ever a future beyond our own planet among other species.

The captains are just an extension of each series and you can't call them out on who's the best. Just who you identify the best with.

Rogue 09:

You may want to continue it. Third season is where it really picks up and Archer carries the burden that no other Starfleet captain ever has since, because they never had to. There've been a few crisis' to measure since then, but Enterprise puts it into perspective just how unprepared and alone they are, by far more than Voyagers crew.

Ed130:

DVS BSTrD:

Ne1butme:

He was the best commander (suck it riker) and then when he got promoted at the end of season 3, he was the best captain.

I would have known that if I'd ever been able to watch the series all the way through (curse you Spike TV!)

ZZoMBiE13:
Sisko owns the universe.
Also, he punched Q.

THAT I remember :)
But did Q ever come back?

No he did not!

Q didn't return to the station for the rest of the series, nor did he have fun with the Defiant.

Of course Sisko had to deal with the Founders, the Vorta (especially four of the clones of Weyoun), Dukat, being a Messiah figure to the Bajorans and the Ferengi.

Yes, he did come back. He came back with Vash. C'mon people

EDIT: I was completely wrong about that. My apologies to Trekkies everywhere. I have had my communicator ripped from my uniform, and now cry alone in my Mother's basement.

PUNISHMENT: Watching all of DS9 again. The punishment doesn't fit the crime, but it should appease the Wormhole Gods.

Soviet Heavy:
Sisko is the best Captain. He punched out a space god, became a space god, started a war with the Dominion and beat the shit out of them, and built the first Federation Warship.

In other words, he was a shit Starfleet captain, because he epitomises war, violence, and religion, the three things Star Trek was supposed to pretty much always take issue with.

Picard always wins, because A; Patrick Stewart, and B; even action-plots with Picard had thought behind them - individuality, self-determination, the cost of vengeance etc etc. The action plots in DS9 were superficial excuses to show the Defiant blowing shit up.

Sisko could what, hit things and sing quite well? Woop-de-doo.

EDIT: It goes like this;

Best Captain - Picard
Best Doctor - The Doctor
Best Technobabble Explainer Guy - tie between Spock and Data
Best "light relief buddies" - Bashir and O'Brian
Obvious casting for how well they filled out a uniform who turned out to be a decent character - 7 of 9
Most cringe-worthy Star Trek show or movie - the pointless recent reboot.

Soviet Heavy:

Spearmaster:

Archer was...(sigh)

I see Sisko as the anti Picard. He is not the best captain, but the most human. When contrasted against Picard, Sisko runs on his emotions, tempered by morals, while Picard remains professional and keeps his personal biases under control. That is why Picard is the captain of the Flagship, while Sisko was shuffled from one post to the next before he finally got his life back on track.

And

I can't find videos for Janeway or Archer, because Janeway's ethics change every episode, and Archer is too incompetent to overact.

You cannot avoid all the glaring deficiencies and idiotic actions by Sisko. He played a major part of another culture's religion without any real argument (Said he was "uncomfortable" a few times, but pretty much accepted the role specifically for the power and influence it would grant him) which is very un-starfleet of him. Oh, and for those "He was still a God" people, he joined a group of aliens (abandoning his newborn child) whose only contributions to the galaxy are living in a hole in space. Yeah, they talked a lot about helping out Bajor, but when the Cardassians came about they really weren't into helping out that much, were they?

He also had one of his senior officers betray him, and then he couldn't catch him. Sisko was so incompetent he couldn't take that "great warship he built" (that was structurally flawed to the point it could destroy itself) and capture a single person who has nearly no resources. Your great captain, ladies and gentlemen! He finally did get him to surrender, but only by threatening to murder thousands of innocent people.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I object to some of his decisions. Most of the Sisko fans seem to be in that group because of the one time he tricked the Romulans into believing the Dominion was planning an attack. I should remind everyone, though, that he pretty much failed in every part of his plan in that episode and it was Garrack who actually saved the day.

Kirk had to deal with threats from both the Romulan and the Klingon Empires. For those who say he was a glory-hound or took too much risk in away parties, let me remind you that his crew included only 400 people. Most of these were specialists in fields as disparate as psychology, ship operations, biology, etc. He always took down the best group for the job and went himself so he could actively see and work with what was going on. Typically, the people remaining on ship flew around and did nothing, as they frequently lost contact with the away team. He always left the ship in the hands of one of his senior staff, usually Scotty. There was no diplomat on board, no councilor. His 1st in command was a science specialist, the only one with expertise in a field (Riker was a good pilot, Kira was a militia fighter, Chakotay was... well... indian?). Everybody else was needed somewhere and Kirk's job was to lead. Sue him.

Oh, and Sisko's girlfriend also betrayed him without him realizing it... but it's okay, because that's the type of person you want to marry and then immediately abandon. C'mon, this guy is a moron! What do you people see in him???

Man... O'Brian keeps getting the shit kicked out of him by the writers. If he's not traumatized by war or incarceration his wife turns 12 and tries to force him in to pedophilia.

Magichead:

Soviet Heavy:
Sisko is the best Captain. He punched out a space god, became a space god, started a war with the Dominion and beat the shit out of them, and built the first Federation Warship.

In other words, he was a shit Starfleet captain, because he epitomises war, violence, and religion, the three things Star Trek was supposed to pretty much always take issue with.

Picard always wins, because A; Patrick Stewart, and B; even action-plots with Picard had thought behind them - individuality, self-determination, the cost of vengeance etc etc. The action plots in DS9 were superficial excuses to show the Defiant blowing shit up.

Sisko could what, hit things and sing quite well? Woop-de-doo.

EDIT: It goes like this;

Best Captain - Picard
Best Doctor - The Doctor
Best Technobabble Explainer Guy - tie between Spock and Data
Best "light relief buddies" - Bashir and O'Brian
Obvious casting for how well they filled out a uniform who turned out to be a decent character - 7 of 9
Most cringe-worthy Star Trek show or movie - the pointless recent reboot.

Just wanted to verify, my love is for Prime Kirk, not stupid reboot Kirk. Sorry, I take that back too: It wasn't a reboot, because reboots are separated from the original story-line. This one over-rights the original, which is a blatant foul and disgusting mess.

Agree with your comments about Sisko... and Picard.

Got to go with Captain "Black Coffee" Janeway for best in-universe captain. Actual character based on narrative merit... debatable. But from a lore stand point she wins every time.

Oh what was that? Picard got assimilated?

Janeway got assimilated twice. Both times INTENTIONALLY. Both times crippling the borg. And that was after saving the borg from an enemy they couldn't beat. Oh, and reverse assimilating one of them.

She spent 7 years in the Delta Quadrent and lost 17 crew members. Picard was there for one episode and lost 50.

Q tested Picard. Q wooed Janeway. She rejected him.

I have a list of these things. Don't test me.

I am always shocked to see how many people think Janeway was the best. She was a terrible captain from every point of view. Janeway was a Mary Sue that the writers could never allow to be wrong. 90% of her decisions as captain were idiotic. She is openly condescending to her crew and dismissive of their concerns. She is prejudice, refuses to follow Starfleet protocol when it is inconvenient and hides behind the prime directive whenever she doesn't want to do something. She promotes someone who is unable to identify shit with a tricorder to chief engineer (This is true. It happened in the episode titled "The 37's".) When Captain Picard defends the rights of a artificially created being, he argues that the superficial fact of Data's construction has no effect on his status as a sentient being. Janeway argues that we all know the doctor is no more valuable than a toaster, but lets throw him a bone to make him happy.

The only possible way Janeway is a good captain is, as inevitableFate pointed out, from a strictly in universe lore perspective. You see, The writers of Voyager had Janeway one up every captain in Starfleet history and made sure that their Mary Sue was always right, no matter the circumstance. The only possible way Janeway can be seen as a good captain is the direct result of very bad writing.

In any case, here is my list, best comes first:

1. Sisko
2. Picard
3. Classic Kirk
4. Kirk 2009 (An extremely shallow but still enjoyable character.)
------------------The line that separates good from bad----------------------
5. Archer (Enterprise should have been subtitled "rednecks in space")
6. Janeway

Rogue 09:

Soviet Heavy:

Spearmaster:

Archer was...(sigh)

And

You cannot avoid all the glaring deficiencies and idiotic actions by Sisko. He played a major part of another culture's religion without any real argument (Said he was "uncomfortable" a few times, but pretty much accepted the role specifically for the power and influence it would grant him) which is very un-starfleet of him. Oh, and for those "He was still a God" people, he joined a group of aliens (abandoning his newborn child) whose only contributions to the galaxy are living in a hole in space. Yeah, they talked a lot about helping out Bajor, but when the Cardassians came about they really weren't into helping out that much, were they?

He also had one of his senior officers betray him, and then he couldn't catch him. Sisko was so incompetent he couldn't take that "great warship he built" (that was structurally flawed to the point it could destroy itself) and capture a single person who has nearly no resources. Your great captain, ladies and gentlemen! He finally did get him to surrender, but only by threatening to murder thousands of innocent people.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I object to some of his decisions. Most of the Sisko fans seem to be in that group because of the one time he tricked the Romulans into believing the Dominion was planning an attack. I should remind everyone, though, that he pretty much failed in every part of his plan in that episode and it was Garrack who actually saved the day.

Kirk had to deal with threats from both the Romulan and the Klingon Empires. For those who say he was a glory-hound or took too much risk in away parties, let me remind you that his crew included only 400 people. Most of these were specialists in fields as disparate as psychology, ship operations, biology, etc. He always took down the best group for the job and went himself so he could actively see and work with what was going on. Typically, the people remaining on ship flew around and did nothing, as they frequently lost contact with the away team. He always left the ship in the hands of one of his senior staff, usually Scotty. There was no diplomat on board, no councilor. His 1st in command was a science specialist, the only one with expertise in a field (Riker was a good pilot, Kira was a militia fighter, Chakotay was... well... indian?). Everybody else was needed somewhere and Kirk's job was to lead. Sue him.

Oh, and Sisko's girlfriend also betrayed him without him realizing it... but it's okay, because that's the type of person you want to marry and then immediately abandon. C'mon, this guy is a moron! What do you people see in him???

I see a normal person who is trying to do the best he can with what he's got. Not a paragon of humanity overflowing with arrogance like Season 1/2 Picard. Picard had to have everything stripped from him by the Borg before he learned a damn thing about humility.

Not everyone in Starfleet can live up to the Federation's lofty ideals. People like Sisko show that the Federation has flws, and that it should be working towards its idealized future, rather than declaring "we are perfect, because we have moved beyond what humanity was in teh 20th century that we are criticizing."

I really respect that Ira Steven Behr and Micheal Piller were able to go this route with Deep Space Nine. Lots of people say the show is a bastardization of Gene's vision, but really, you can only stay with the morally superior humans so long before you want to see them get their faces smashed in for being such pompous jackasses.

And they managed to tell stories that Gene simply wouldn't allow when he was alive. By the end of his run with Star Trek, Gene was quickly becoming another George Lucas, vetoing numerous story ideas because they didn't conform with his vision of the future.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here