Advice From A Fanboy: Justice League

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Advice From A Fanboy: Justice League

MovieBob lists off a few suggestions on how Warner Bros. can successfully pull of a Justice League film without crashing and burning.

Read Full Article

Hm...

I mostly agree with these ideas but:

I think a Wonder Woman movie needs to be made.

Think about it: the one area that superhero movies haven't given much attention to is the superheroine and there she is: one of the most recognized characters in fiction, languishing and, as the article notes, with an audience mostly vague on what she's about.

It's important not just to the culture but it's flat out good marketing, too. You make a kick ass WW movie (and don't tell me it can't be done) and you've done two things a) made a ton of money off of all the young women (and general nerdery) who have been waiting for something like this to come around (this is how you convince the suits to make it) and b) made a statement, one that I think needs to be made: Women can hold their own in the hero biz.

After that, I'm pretty much on board. Not bringing up the most evil dude in the DC universe in the first big movie? Good. Making sure that this film emphasizes the relationships between the characters? Good.

I don't think it'll happen but I think Bob's ideas are solid.

One other thing I'd add: it ain't a League with J'onn J'onnzz. You've just got to have the Manhunter on board. Major top-tier character? No. Massively important? Not reeeeeally. Intergral part of almost every iteration of the League thus far? Hells to the yes.

It also allows an easy answer to the villain question, becase fuck yeah White Martians. Alien invasion (the best way to kick off these team-ups, as seen in Avengers, is with a credible external threat unless they have time - which, as you mentioned, they don't - to build up to an Injustice League) but not entirely in the same overblown way as Avengers. More subtle, as whiteys can shapeshift, read minds and in terms of raw physical power are individually almost comparable to Superman. It'd be a very different story, still allowing Earth's heroes to team up against the external threat but on a deeper level than the explosion-ridden last hour of Avengers. Don't get me wrong, I love the end of that movie, but if JLA tries to directly copy it the movie will be labelled a rip-off.

Smokescreen:
It's important not just to the culture but it's flat out good marketing, too. You make a kick ass WW movie (and don't tell me it can't be done) and you've done two things a) made a ton of money off of all the young women (and general nerdery) who have been waiting for something like this to come around (this is how you convince the suits to make it) and b) made a statement, one that I think needs to be made: Women can hold their own in the hero biz.

We need a Birds Of Prey movie.

A real one (pre New 52, naturally), one that is nothing like the confused and angsty mess that the TV show was.

Thanks, Bob, for listing all the ways that WB will screw this up!

SonicWaffle:
One other thing I'd add: it ain't a League with J'onn J'onnzz. You've just got to have the Manhunter on board. Major top-tier character? No. Massively important? Not reeeeeally. Intergral part of almost every iteration of the League thus far? Hells to the yes.

It also allows an easy answer to the villain question, becase fuck yeah White Martians. Alien invasion (the best way to kick off these team-ups, as seen in Avengers, is with a credible external threat unless they have time - which, as you mentioned, they don't - to build up to an Injustice League) but not entirely in the same overblown way as Avengers. More subtle, as whiteys can shapeshift, read minds and in terms of raw physical power are individually almost comparable to Superman. It'd be a very different story, still allowing Earth's heroes to team up against the external threat but on a deeper level than the explosion-ridden last hour of Avengers. Don't get me wrong, I love the end of that movie, but if JLA tries to directly copy it the movie will be labelled a rip-off.

Actually, the white martians would probably be the best gift the the world to a JLA movie in terms of things like team building, quick backstory, and still letting Superman smash face.

SonicWaffle:

Smokescreen:

A real one (pre New 52, naturally), one that is nothing like the confused and angsty mess that the TV show was.

Agreed on this and your Martian Manhunter point.

The first arc should even be the Grant Morrison white martian invasion storyline.

But a Birds movie? That would be amazing. Again: don't tell me it can't be done. I would bet the house that there are actresses who would kill to have a chance to play those roles and we already know there's good writing behind it.

I agree with you bob, I don't really care for the Justice League because they're so damn invincible, while the Avengers are very mortal, it just seems so much more fun to cheer for the underdog.
and no not him

Smokescreen:

SonicWaffle:

Smokescreen:

Agreed on this and your Martian Manhunter point.

Everyone should agree with me. I'm wonderful.

Smokescreen:
The first arc should even be the Grant Morrison white martian invasion storyline.

Terror Incognita? I'm not so sure. It requires some backstory (the mind-wiping, the whiteys taking the time to kidnap J'onn, build the towers that eliminate fire etc) so it won't be an amazing first movie, but I can see it making a great part 3. First movie intoduces white martians, second movie - since by then there will have been several solo movies with their own established villains - an Injustice League movie, and third movie can be the shocking return of the white martians to wreck some shit.

Smokescreen:
But a Birds movie? That would be amazing. Again: don't tell me it can't be done. I would bet the house that there are actresses who would kill to have a chance to play those roles and we already know there's good writing behind it.

Hell, I'm neither a professional actress or even female, and I'd kill for a chance to be Black Canary, running around high-kicking and screaming people into submission :-P

vxicepickxv:

SonicWaffle:

Actually, the white martians would probably be the best gift the the world to a JLA movie in terms of things like team building, quick backstory, and still letting Superman smash face.

Well, yes. That was kinda my point ;-)

I have always been a huge fan of The Batman, The Flash and The Green Arrow. This done properly (again- loving the white martians idea!) would on a 'scale of 1-10, where 1 is Battle Los Angeles, and 10 was Independence day' (RCDCS) be easily the best film of 2015. (assuming the world hasn't ended in 3 weeks time.)

SonicWaffle:

Everyone should agree with me. I'm wonderful.

We'll see about...

Oh. Lookie here. Note from grandma and everything. Looks like that checks out.

Smokescreen:

Terror Incognita? I'm not so sure. It requires some backstory (the mind-wiping, the whiteys taking the time to kidnap J'onn, build the towers that eliminate fire etc) so it won't be an amazing first movie, but I can see it making a great part 3. First movie intoduces white martians, second movie - since by then there will have been several solo movies with their own established villains - an Injustice League movie, and third movie can be the shocking return of the white martians to wreck some shit.

I think that might be too long to sustain. I dig where you're going and I see your point but I think you may have gone too 'big picture' for that one. My gut says that the Terror Incognita story could be streamlined down and made to work.

Injustice League has to be one of the big hitters, for certain: the thing that can keep coming back though, which means establishing villains. 2nd movie is a good place for them.

What's troubling is: I can't think of another JLA storyline that's been compelling which wouldn't require a ton of backstory or setup. Granted, my history with the comics is limited; there must be some really compelling, epic level things to do there that were done pre-Morrison.

I have no reason to care about the New 52 version...no one has suggested that I'm really missing out so I've been ignoring it.

Smokescreen:

Hell, I'm neither a professional actress or even female, and I'd kill for a chance to be Black Canary, running around high-kicking and screaming people into submission :-P

Looking at a very different movie then. Might be a little less family friendly, what with you wearing those stockings and all.

No. NO PUT YOUR LEG DOWN.

This film is just doomed. There's basically no way Warner Bros can pull this off. We're looking at another Green Lantern here, only on a much grander scale.

Some good points here. What I'm wondering (like most) is who will they choose for the villain(s). Unlike the DC heroes, their villains haven't reached the same level of recognition outside of comic book readers. So do they have the time to establish the villain/threat of the film and introduce the League all in one movie? Unless the villain is set up somehow in Man of Steel, but since it was converted to a lead in movie during production, I don't think that'll happen.

Also I agree with the above posters that the White Martians would be a good idea for the movie. Hell, that's basically what they used in the Justice League animated series. I think they were called something different, but the aliens were basically White Martians.

Unless of course CW go ahead with their WW tv show titled Amazon, here's the synopsis that somehow caused a bit of uproar from fans:

According to the breakdown I've obtained, her name is Iris."She comes from a remote, secluded country and until now has spent most of her life as a soldier and a leader on the battlefield. Because of relentless brutality of her life at home, Iris looks at our world with absolute awe and astonishment. She's delighted ­and just as often horrified ­ by the aspects of everyday life that we take for granted: skyscrapers, traffic, ice cream. It's all new and fascinating and sometimes slightly troubling ­ to her. Iris is completely unschooled in our world, our culture, our customs. And she's completely inexperienced at interpersonal relationships. She has no social filter, does not suffer fools, and tends to do and say exactly what's on her mind at all times. She's bluntly, refreshingly honest. She can tell when you're lying to her. And she doesn't have time or patience for politics or tact because she's too busy trying to experience everything our world has to offer. There are too many sights to see ­ and things to learn ­ and people to care for. Hers is a true, noble, and generous heart. And she will fight and die for the people she loves. Iris is a fierce warrior with the innocent heart of a romantic ­ and she will fight to the death to make the world safe for innocents and true romantics everywhere."
Sources

The last part kinda baffled me. "to make the world safe for innocents and true romantics everywhere." Really?
What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Anyway, apparently the caused of the uproar was her name was Iris not Diana which Geoff Johns tweeted this and I quote
"If a WW show happens her name is of course DIANA. Codenames (like IRIS) are used in casting a lot to try and avoid speculation. #TV101 :)" unquote.
Source

Either way if this tv show happens, we can pretty much say goodbye to any WW in the future. If she is part of that JLA movie..... Ok I am confused now.

SonicWaffle:

I was thinking "New World Order" actually, pre credits establish JLA, act 1 suspicious new supergroup even more awesome, act 2 investigating JLA-ers get taken out captured, act 3 they escape and kick the crap out of them.

What if, instead of fighting Darkseid first, they end up battling one of his minions? That way at the end of the movie they can introduce Darkseid for JLA 2--assuming they make another one. Problem is though, that's exactly what happens in Avengers, so maybe not a good idea.
Still, if they make a Justice League movie I'll go see it. DC is my preferred universe. The movie I'd really like to see is a Teen Titans one though.

MovieBob:
As has been my snarky, egomaniacal want...

'Wont.'

I'd go on New 52 take, super heroes are a brand new thing, not trusted by everyone, and well, that can be done as long as the Nolan`s Batman is (hopefully - I agree with Bob) ditched, Superman could be the very first caped hero in the world, a character that Bruce Wayne, already a ninja planning to ruin criminality with gadgets (thus far acting more like a soft-core Punisher), finds out that maybe dressing up like a BAT to rise to the status of super hero is not such a bad idea, or do something different, as long as it works right?
NOW: I`d ditch the characteristic of "making it look real", it worked with Nolan (made the third movie strange), but won`t work with a GROUP of heroes, you gotta keep it cool, like The Avengers and Star Wars (original), by that I mean, it might be absurd and absolutely unreal, but people will say "what the heck, this is as fun as hell", just make the ridiculousness of the comics work on the movies, do not lose the innocence of a comic book by bringing too much reality into play, make it accessible to ALL ages.
Villain: if I can't choose Darkseid, then I must pick someone equally powerful (or almost), after all, I can't have a villain that, say, Batmn alone would take care of, no, the threat must require the alliance to be formed... Thus I call a relatively known villain that only came into the DC Universe with the New 52 era: HELSPONT!!! He could arrive with a whole daemonite fleet, out to dominate Earth, and then there`s the whole tie with Krypton that would maybe make things personal to Superman and so on, plus Helspont is a Palpatine sort of villain, that is, very powerful, very intelligent, insidious, he can kick serious ass when he wants to

and can use is the very embodiment of all evil in the galaxy, plus his own background story is great as a motivation.

Do a shot for shot live action remake of the justice league tv show'a first 3 episodes. That's my only real suggestion.

Malisteen:
This film is just doomed. There's basically no way Warner Bros can pull this off. We're looking at another Green Lantern here, only on a much grander scale.

As much as I get excited and get ideas of what could happen in the movie.... You're right, I also believe it can't be done, I didn't put much faith in The Avengers, but they pulled it off, however they had TIME, they could take all the time they wanted to introduce all characters VERY WELL before releasing the team-movie, I fear Warner would want to rush thing up. I's say make a Wonder Woman movie, a Superman movie (well, we're getting that already) and a new Batman movie (less gritty this time, or he'll break the team-movie dynamic later on)

mattttherman3:
Do a shot for shot live action remake of the justice league tv show'a first 3 episodes. That's my only real suggestion.

Hehehe, the animated TV Show right? Not that horrid live action that, as far as I know, never survived the PILOT (it didn't air everywhere, so it's easy to miss, but it's not that old, and it's beyond bad, like, Batman & Robin deserved an Oscar in comparison...)

Any semi-serious take on a justice league movie will be a failure, maybe not financially, you can get people to watch just about anything these days, but in terms of an actual good movie, as in something that is remembered and watched over and over, um, no.

And the movie that is coming out next summer is the biggest problem with that. Superman, basically eliminates the possibility of them making a good justice league movie. Why? Who would be the enemy?

Imagine for a second, the Avengers movie in a universe where superman exists. That whole invasion lasts what? 10 minutes? On earth, in the absence of a rare radioactive rock Superman is more or less immortal and invincible. That is why Superman returns was such a disappointing movie. They took, a god, for lack of a better word, and reduced him to an emotionally unstable, dolt, who was shanked brutally, by an above average criminal.

DC has no balance. They have no evil characters THAT THE AVERAGE PERSON WOULD KNOW to counter someone like Superman. So there is no tension. If by some chance, superman is incapacitated or distracted(lets all recall the old cartoons), we all know that it is only a matter of time before the rest of the group does the smart thing and focus all their energy on getting Supes back into the game.

There can be no tension, no real sense of anything. We will get all the spectacle and none of the substance. The Avengers wasn't good because of the complex plot, anymore than Avatar was. Both movies were excellent entertainment because even knowing it would end well for the good guys, you had no clue HOW it was going to pan out.

Marvel has done a great job of humanizing even the most ridiculous character, while DC has the most powerful man on earth fooling people with eyeglasses and buffoonery. Really?

Stick with the spectacle of stand alone movies DC, or keep superman out of a JLA movie until the very end. DC characters are just not as interesting as Marvel, and that is not a cut on them. They simply have not been presented that way for a very long time.

Wolverine is a jerk, spiderman a wise-azz, iron man a braggart, hulk a time bomb. And those are just a few of the big ones. Superman, goody two shoes, works as a reporter. Batman, ridiculously rich guy with nothing better to do than beat up thugs, wonder woman, a magically created golem containing more or less the power of the gods, aquaman... um, yeah.

The best DC stuff right now are the animated movies, I seriously don't think anyone could pull off a live action movie.

The DC Universe has endured for almost 80 years, while Nolan's one vision of one corner of it has merely existed for about 7.

...80 years of actual and effective reboots, massive changes in tone and character, alternate timelines, alternate universes, the wholesale destruction of said timelines and universes, retcons, spin-offs, a temporary fusion with the universe of their biggest competitor...

Yes, the DC Universe is endearing, and enduring. But to be blunt, especially from the point of view of trying to launch a new series in a different medium, it's also a @#$%ing mess.

I don't say this to worship Nolan's world, or besmirch the one in the comics. I agree that Nolan's version of Gotham should remain unique to his version of Batman. But I would strongly advise against trying to cleave too tightly to a misguided notion that the comics hold the answer, when the comic world is also full of disastrously wrong answers.

What Nolan did right and the new movies should take into consideration is making a universe particular to these new DC movies, unified in tone and possibility and uniquely cinematic in scope and focus. Not "real" or "realistic"- even to whatever debatable extent such a term could be used to describe the Nolan Batmans- but with a clear understanding of how the different characters fit into the world, and where even Superman has understandable limitations so that he doesn't become the magic "Fix it" button for every problem until the inevitable arrival of Kryptonite.

I wish I was more confident that WB will pull it off.

<clicks link to the review of the Wonder Woman pilot, got half way through after several skip aheads>

...the hell was THAT?! I heard people bitching about the costume change but honestly, that is the LEAST offensive part about it!

Isn't Arrow doing like insanely well and getting really good reviews?

the jla ran a season or two before they changed it jlu and watered it down so much it was boring to see the big 3 mostly non existant and different bit players every week with only a few stand outs you cared about at all.

The series itself was excellent with great characters and good overarching storylines, i put it up there with batman the animated series quality wise. believe alot of the same people were involved in it, which alot of the same people did the script and story for the arkham games.

why not get them to try their hand at a live action script? they know the characters, hell they invented a few of the characters, if anyone gets the material it is theses people, they should get the chance to do it.

Far as the big 3 chumming it up? the only time these people interact is on the job the vast majority of time. batman does not really hang out at jla hq and sit there swapping stories around the coffee maker. He shows up helps out/saves the day and jets. they did a nice bit in the series where diana and wayne met and there was chemistry but as batman he would not give her the time of day.

wierd since wonder woman would be one of the few women on the planet that would nag you for not wanting to put the cowl and cape on instead of nagging him to take it off.

If you ask me Arrow is pretty decent I've seen worse shows, I'm looking at you The Cape.

I agree with Bob in this, at least at the beginning, WB can't make a good JLA movie by copying the avengers, but I don't think that jumping straight into a JLA movie would work any better. My theory is that you either do a Teen Titans movie as the team up, with the same kind of lead up as The Avengers, but different, or 2 man team ups, like Batman and Superman, or Flash and Aquaman. That way you don't need as big of threats, and you can have easy interaction, while still having the other heroes cameo. Now, the Teen Titans would need to be done very specifically to work, but here's my idea. Please note, this idea is based on the team from the cartoon, because that's all I'm familiar with:
Firstly, you need a new Batman franchise, with a Robin, I don't care which, just a Robin, And have the duo face off against one of Batmans stranger enemies, like Killer Croc, or Clayface.
Secondly, you need to have a solo Robin movie, this would probably work better if the Robin in question was Dick Grayson, so it could be Nightwing, but again, just a solo Robin movie, where they mention the Brotherhood of Evil and the Doom Patrol and have a supporting character named Victor Stone. Stinger at the end has a crashed alien pod.
The stinger leads into a Starfire movie, done in the same vein as Thor, but where Blackfire takes over Tamaran in the end rather than losing, so Starfire is banished to earth. Victor from the Robin movie should be injured enough for Bruce to cyberneticly enhance him, probably during the middle action scene, if there is one. Victors new look would be revealed in a stinger, again.
Now, we skip over a Cyborg movie completely, and have a Doom Patrol movie, with Beast Boy leaving the team at the end because he thinks he's being looked down on for being a kid. Stinger has BB walking through a nearly destroyed city, when he walks up to a hooded figure. He asks her what happened, and she just tells him to go away.
Next is a Raven movie, showing her trying to help people, but not doing well at it, because her emotions keep getting out of control. When she is overpowered at the end of the movie, she unleashes all her power, decimating the city, and having the stinger from the Doom Patrol movie play again, but from Ravens Perspective. Stinger has Cyborg up and about, his arm transforming into a sonic cannon as the last shot.
Finally, we get to a Teen Titans movie, where the 5 meet up in Jump City for some reason, TBD. Probably that Raven is still accidentally wreaking havoc, so the 3 independently go there to prove themselves, and Starfire is already there. Blackfire comes in with an army at the last act, so they have to team up to beat her back.
Your opinions?

chetoos:
I agree with Bob in this, at least at the beginning, WB can't make a good JLA movie by copying the avengers, but I don't think that jumping straight into a JLA movie would work any better. My theory is that you either do a Teen Titans movie as the team up, with the same kind of lead up as The Avengers, but different, or 2 man team ups, like Batman and Superman, or Flash and Aquaman. That way you don't need as big of threats, and you can have easy interaction, while still having the other heroes cameo. Now, the Teen Titans would need to be done very specifically to work, but here's my idea. Please note, this idea is based on the team from the cartoon, because that's all I'm familiar with:
Firstly, you need a new Batman franchise, with a Robin, I don't care which, just a Robin, And have the duo face off against one of Batmans stranger enemies, like Killer Croc, or Clayface.
Secondly, you need to have a solo Robin movie, this would probably work better if the Robin in question was Dick Grayson, so it could be Nightwing, but again, just a solo Robin movie, where they mention the Brotherhood of Evil and the Doom Patrol and have a supporting character named Victor Stone. Stinger at the end has a crashed alien pod.
The stinger leads into a Starfire movie, done in the same vein as Thor, but where Blackfire takes over Tamaran in the end rather than losing, so Starfire is banished to earth. Victor from the Robin movie should be injured enough for Bruce to cyberneticly enhance him, probably during the middle action scene, if there is one. Victors new look would be revealed in a stinger, again.
Now, we skip over a Cyborg movie completely, and have a Doom Patrol movie, with Beast Boy leaving the team at the end because he thinks he's being looked down on for being a kid. Stinger has BB walking through a nearly destroyed city, when he walks up to a hooded figure. He asks her what happened, and she just tells him to go away.
Next is a Raven movie, showing her trying to help people, but not doing well at it, because her emotions keep getting out of control. When she is overpowered at the end of the movie, she unleashes all her power, decimating the city, and having the stinger from the Doom Patrol movie play again, but from Ravens Perspective. Stinger has Cyborg up and about, his arm transforming into a sonic cannon as the last shot.
Finally, we get to a Teen Titans movie, where the 5 meet up in Jump City for some reason, TBD. Probably that Raven is still accidentally wreaking havoc, so the 3 independently go there to prove themselves, and Starfire is already there. Blackfire comes in with an army at the last act, so they have to team up to beat her back.
Your opinions?

I don't know about all that, but DC could do a lot worse than going for a younger, more fun set of movies based on TT. JLA just doesn't have the backbone of a move like the Avengers, the characters involved are just too damn powerful. You would have to make a movie, that centered around the struggles of supers trying to act mortal, which would not make for a great team movie. Green Lantern could have been a great movie, but they decided to make the main character annoying as opposed to heroic. Batman, heck the last Batman movie was depressing, took itself waaaaaaay too seriously.

Superman, well that will probably be a spectacle beat em up, good entertainment, not so great for world building.

I go back to the point I made earlier, and the ones that Bob made. WHY are the Avengers interesting? It isn't their powers/gear, it is their humanity. The powers/gear is cool for the kids, while the humanity makes it good for everyone else. Superman has ALWAYS been a bland character, he is a symbol, not a relate able protagonist.

I... I don't think Arrow is that bad. In fact, I think it's kind of good. :(

But, then, I also found Green Lantern to only be slightly below average, so, as Yahtzee would say, apparently I'M A RETARD!

I like arrow :(...But as to if a good JLA movie can be made IDk anything is possible at this point If we can somehow get an avengers movie, star wars episode VII and JLA movie all in the same year why can't it be good.

Totally agree with this one. Marvels cosmic stuff is way better than DC's. Darkseid may have come first but thanos is the better villain and if GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY lives up to dan abnetts vision and avengers 2 is as good as the first, a dc movie with space opera elements is probably going to be fucking embarrasing.

agree with bob,
jla needs MM
i like arrow
i would prefer a titans movie over a jla movie

my friend reaction after i told her what thanos deal was: that's sweet, like a puppy bringing you body parts.

Given I'm familiar with, but not knowledgeable about, DC content, I can only think of one villain I'd suggest for an introductory JLA antagonist that requires neither exorbitant backstory (some, sure, but not a whole lot) or an organization/sponsor to help it out:

Brainiac.

Traditionally a Superman-specific enemy, yes, but I'm pretty sure it has provided sufficient problems to keep more than Superman alone occupied in the past. Mechanically (oh the puns), I think it would serve as a good "baseline" villain for establishing the JLA on screen.

Major downside: he's crap for any kind of emotional dynamics between heroes and villains. Explanatory comparison, Loki's a bit of a bastard and screws with the Avengers in addition to doing bad things; Brainiac's more A to B. Not that every movie needs snarky banter or obvious malice between its conflicting sides, but it might feel a little overly one-sided in that respect when the bad guy literally doesn't care about things other than accomplishing its goals.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here