Erin and Hobbes

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Erin and Hobbes

Because We Need More Unflattering Comparisons

Read Full Article

Calvin and Kratos, now that's a comic I'd read.

'Well if you are gonna rip off something, then rip off something good.'

Calvin and Hratos, can you imagine? It'll be the "noodle incident" times a thousand!

Well at least you'd be plagiarising something imaginative and fun. I still weep when I see Ctrl-Alt-Del knockoffs.

DVS BSTrD:
Calvin and Hratos, can you imagine? It'll be the "noodle incident" times a thousand!

I forsee Calvinball becoming significantly more violent...

SonicWaffle:

DVS BSTrD:

Man, you haven't even payed Calvinball if you don't get at least a 500 hit combo, and the "field" isn't full of harpy bits and minotaur horns. After that, it's three points if you can beat Zeus, but only if you've stepped into the points-scoring zone.

BehattedWanderer:

SonicWaffle:

DVS BSTrD:

Man, you haven't even payed Calvinball if you don't get at least a 500 hit combo, and the "field" isn't full of harpy bits and minotaur horns. After that, it's three points if you can beat Zeus, but only if you've stepped into the points-scoring zone.

Clearly you're playing it wrong. You didn't even mention dropping Pandora's head on the triple-word score or having to wear a viking helmet on every third Tuesday lest you be deducted points (unless it's Chinese New Year, in which case you get double points and a lollipop)

BehattedWanderer:

SonicWaffle:

DVS BSTrD:

Yeah, but the points-scoring zone is in the Invisible Sector, which means you have to do it blindfolded.

netrhal:

Pretty much this. If you're gonna be accused of ripping something off, might as well go for the best syndicated comic strip ever printed.

Soooo, how's Mo going to end up when he tries to steal Kratos...?

I am so sorry that your life has been empty of Calvin and Hobbes until now.

SonicWaffle:

Clearly you're playing it wrong. You didn't even mention dropping Pandora's head on the triple-word score or having to wear a viking helmet on every third Tuesday lest you be deducted points (unless it's Chinese New Year, in which case you get double points and a lollipop)

Trucken:

Yeah, but the points-scoring zone is in the Invisible Sector, which means you have to do it blindfolded.

Well, obviously, yeah. To say nothing of the way one has to hop backwards on one foot while swearing the Oath, and if you mess it up, you have to go through the Hades gauntlet again, but this time, without the double jump.

SonicWaffle:

BehattedWanderer:

SonicWaffle:

Trucken:

Hehehe, Helios' head would have come in real handy during the attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snowgoons

On the topic of tributes to Calvin & Hobbes, here have some Bacon & Hobbes.

Just make sure not to make a followup comic where "Kratos" super-murders Calvin's family. Then you'll be accused of ripping off Robot Chicken.

*EDIT* nevermind

I would have never considered it a Calvin and Hobbes knock-off until you mentioned it :P

cidbahamut:

netrhal:

Pretty much this. If you're gonna be accused of ripping something off, might as well go for the best syndicated comic strip ever printed.

Heh, yeah, I spend lots of time wishing people would stop trying to be creative and just go back to ripping off old things that used to be popular.

Mind you, this is only certain people, but there are lots of them in the entertainment industry.

Kratosball.
Ye gods.
*ducks and covers*

It's all fun and childrens games until that circle stars hovering over one of them and the music starts playing in the background.

You've....you've never read Calvin & Hobbes until now? How is that even possible? I don't...I don't, I can't-why, how...WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING YOUR WHOLE LIFE?!?!

That strip didn't end with Hobbes tackling Erin, you aren't trying hard enough...

How exactly was Critical Miss ripping off Penny Arcade?

I've been a fan both both for a while now, but I never saw any real similarities aside from "videogames".

I might be blinded by proximity, but could someone explain it to me?

PH3NOmenon:
How exactly was Critical Miss ripping off Penny Arcade?

I've been a fan both both for a while now, but I never saw any real similarities aside from "videogames".

I might be blinded by proximity, but could someone explain it to me?

Both exist in a world where the absurd is commonplace? See occasional death and dismemberment of characters in Penny Arcade and a bear co-worker and end of the world video game errors in Critical Miss

So, wearing my negative Nancy pants, I was ready to very much... not be happy with this toon. "oohh! a calvin / hobbes rip!? I hates it!!!"

Love Waterson's cartoon, had his brother for English in highschool, and I really liked this little toon. Thanks for sharing =]

SonicWaffle:

DVS BSTrD:

And many more QTEs.

Since when could Kratos smile?

whats next? commercials and product placements in every strip?

you are a bunch of sellouts! ^^

stick it to the man, man!

Ugh "rip off," now there's a term that makes me seethe with rage. I think to most people, it doesn't mean what they think it means.

Neat comparison. I don't really see that much of a problem with this.

As they say; "There's nothing new under the sun."

:D So what you should do then, is make something above the sun!

D'aaawww.... Kratos looks like he's actually having fun here!

I never though this comic was ripping of Calvin and Hobbes, even if I am a fan of both of them...

Only just started Calvin and Hobbes!?

I've been reading them since I was seven (fifteen years now) and own every book except for the collector's anthology. (I've even had a few of the UK printings sent over here as well.)

Absolutely my favorite comic strip of all time. And Watterson lives about a 20 minute drive from my house.

Nooners:
You've....you've never read Calvin & Hobbes until now? How is that even possible? I don't...I don't, I can't-why, how...WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING YOUR WHOLE LIFE?!?!

I'm going to take a wild guess and say;
:/ He was playing fun video games, and writing comics?

Love this comic so much. Enough to comment on how great it is, despite my strange distaste for making forum posts.

I have to wonder, though, if Kratos was the best choice for Calvin's new companion. Surely a character from a game where exploration is the core mechanic would have been better. Minecraft Steve, Link, or even Dovakiin. Then again, seeing Kratos having fun is always enjoyable.

Rainboq:
On the topic of tributes to Calvin & Hobbes, here have some Bacon & Hobbes.

How dare you make me feel things!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or