Erin and Hobbes

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

BehattedWanderer:

SonicWaffle:

Clearly you're playing it wrong. You didn't even mention dropping Pandora's head on the triple-word score or having to wear a viking helmet on every third Tuesday lest you be deducted points (unless it's Chinese New Year, in which case you get double points and a lollipop)

Trucken:

Yeah, but the points-scoring zone is in the Invisible Sector, which means you have to do it blindfolded.

Well, obviously, yeah. To say nothing of the way one has to hop backwards on one foot while swearing the Oath, and if you mess it up, you have to go through the Hades gauntlet again, but this time, without the double jump.

But if you incur a game of chance, then properly guess the proper brand of lollipop that you would normally get on Chinese new year (not the brand you get when wearing a fedora in place of a viking hat), then you get the double jump back. Unless you screw it up, in which case you also lose one of your blades, but how many lollipop brands are there to chose from?

Oh, I see why Calvin named his girl Bacon.
Really interesting actually.

Rainboq:
On the topic of tributes to Calvin & Hobbes, here have some Bacon & Hobbes.

You bastard...

you...bast..

;_;

these are MANLY TEARS!

I hate Calvin and Hobbes. Not for any rational reason, but because my girlfriend got the complete box set for her birthday, and I had to carry it around London for her. The damn thing consisted of about 300 pounds of hardback literature, and we have no car. So by that logic, I hate this comic too.

Calvin & Hobbes has made me the man I am today, & I would not change a thing about that. is there some kind of imaginary-friend exchange program goiong on?

Saying that a gaming web comic rips off penny arcade is like saying 'Unstoppable' rips off 'Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat'

Rainboq:

I think there is someone who deserves hugs. Many, many hugs.

oh my god take all my money

Daveman:
Christ, every time I see any reference to Calvin and Hobbes I feel so nostalgic I want to cry.

^ This. So much this.

Also I felt the need to comment on this post because ... umm ... *looks at top left corner of post* Well yeah.

Rainboq:

OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU NOW! INCOMING SQUEE!

Is it okay to like both PA and CM? I get a laugh out of them both on a regular basis. I just don't know if there's some bitter war between them that I'm inadvertently stepping into.

Rainboq:

SweetShark:

Rainboq:
Because its Calvin and Susie.

And? Because the girl have the name of a japanese food, must their child have a name of a food as well?
[Also I must say I didn't read a lot of this comic, but I know about the whole premise this have, so forgive me if I am wrong.]

The whole point was that Calvin and Susie were the only two people with any imagination, so they were weird together. Hence, any child they had would probably have a weird name.

Not quite. Calvin and Hobbes were named after two European philosophers: John Calvin and Thomas Hobbes. The Pants are Overrated guys obviously wanted to maintain this naming schema, and thus named Calvin and Suzie's daughter Bacon, after Sir Francis Bacon, yet another 17th century European philosopher.

So its the ongoing adventures of a young child questioning the social norms while unwittingly adhering to them, and a forged nihilist who has gains the power to change that which causes his despair, yet ultimately merely spreads it to the rest of the world? I would read the SHIT out of that.

SonicWaffle:

DVS BSTrD:
Calvin and Hratos, can you imagine? It'll be the "noodle incident" times a thousand!

I forsee Calvinball becoming significantly more violent...

I don't see why. If anything, Kratos would be the one who would be annoyed, as he more prefers Golf.

scienceguy8:

PH3NOmenon:
How exactly was Critical Miss ripping off Penny Arcade?

I've been a fan both both for a while now, but I never saw any real similarities aside from "videogames".

I might be blinded by proximity, but could someone explain it to me?

Both exist in a world where the absurd is commonplace? See occasional death and dismemberment of characters in Penny Arcade and a bear co-worker and end of the world video game errors in Critical Miss

I thought that made is a ripoff of Family Guy. Or possibly, a more violent, more poorly paced version of The Critic.

Hey, it would be better than the arc with that one guy from the bar.

Rainboq:
The whole point was that Calvin and Susie were the only two people with any imagination, so they were weird together. Hence, any child they had would probably have a weird name.

When did Suzie have any imagination at all? She was always a passive part within Calvins reinterpretation of reality - that she was a willing part of it didn't make her role in the recreation of the scene through Calvins new imagination optics any more an attribute of her. She no more had imagination than Miss Wormwood did when she was the hideous Tee-Chour creature of the planet Skuul, or when Rosalyn was Babysitter Girl.

The only time Suzie was able to influence Calvins reinterpretation of the reality was one where she and him were playing house, and she brought home a rabbit as their new baby. And even then, Suzie was trying to push that the rabbit was a human child, which Calvins imagination refused to accept, instead animating the bunny as alive, but otherwise a normal rabbit.

Rainboq:

there is more of this yes? cause it gets all of my approval

I hear Bill Waterson hates merchandises and other things that he feels that "cheapens his work". But this is golden.

I've never read Critical Miss and thought "Hey! This is just like PA!"

In fact, now that I consider it, when it comes to "Critical Miss is like ______", I don't really have anything to put in the blank. And that's part of the reason I'm a regular reader.

Lunar Templar:

Rainboq:

Sadly there is not.

Rainboq:

That was the best thing I've seen all day. Thank you.

Rainboq:

I haven't had feels of this magnitude since I finished the "There she is" flash series.

Rainboq:

Lunar Templar:

Rainboq:

Sadly there is not.

T-T that gives me a sad.

But thank you posting it anyway :')

only started reading C&H last week? you are in for a treat my friend

PH3NOmenon:
How exactly was Critical Miss ripping off Penny Arcade?

I've been a fan both both for a while now, but I never saw any real similarities aside from "videogames".

I might be blinded by proximity, but could someone explain it to me?

I just finished reading through the archives (saw this comic posted on some image site and thought 'oh wow what else did I miss').

While going through it all, I got this distinct impression of something like Ctrl-Alt-Del written by the staff of Penny Arcade. That's hardly a criticism there; once you take Tim Buckley out of the equation, you have two successful webcomics. But aside from "videogames", things like the type of negative continuity used, the range of subject material, the casual vulgarity - stuff like that puts them in the same specific style of webcomic. You could make comparisons between Erin and Gabe (sub Clutch for Tycho) though I've seen a lot more of her character in other sources. By staff of Penny Arcade, I was trying to include Scott Kurtz (I forget if he gets paid by them or just shares an office) who has already been mentioned as an inspiration, and PvP does kinda have that bear character and an office setting. I mean, I am not trying to compare Grey Carter to Tim Buckley or accuse him of ripping stuff off. It's just that I see enough similarities not to dismiss some complaints out-of-hand.

You WISH you were ripping Penny Arcade and/or Calvin&Hobbes.
You aren't nearly good enough to possibly be mistaken for one of those two comics. But keep dreaming!

rhodo:
You aren't nearly good enough to possibly be mistaken for one of those two comics. But keep dreaming!

Actually, Penny Arcade keeps getting less funny with obvious reference jokes anyone can make.
And though the art style still has it's charm, i'm laughing less and less with every comic.

I've grown fond of CM in the time spent here on The Escapist, and as Yahtzee, it's an integral piece here.
It's cynical, hard, on the spot, sometimes heartwarming and most of all funny.
(and i always like the lines/notes below, but i was always a big fan of Shirow's Hypernotes...)

Calvin and Hobbes is classic, so we'll not even dare compare CM with THAT.
I'll give you the latter, but CM is in many ways better than PA.
But that's my opinion.

CALVIN AND HOBBES!

Wait... How the hell are you copying C&H? Crit Miss is nothing like C&H.

Stout has schizophrenia, Calvin has adventures with his stuffed Tiger. There's no overlap there.

No offense, but you also have a long way to go to come close to C&H.

Rainboq:

Oh my God... I love you... Why did Waterson have to retire? *sniff*

K84:

rhodo:

Actually, Penny Arcade keeps getting less funny with obvious reference jokes anyone can make.
And though the art style still has it's charm, i'm laughing less and less with every comic.

I've grown fond of CM in the time spent here on The Escapist, and as Yahtzee, it's an integral piece here.
It's cynical, hard, on the spot, sometimes heartwarming and most of all funny.
(and i always like the lines/notes below, but i was always a big fan of Shirow's Hypernotes...)

Calvin and Hobbes is classic, so we'll not even dare compare CM with THAT.
I'll give you the latter, but CM is in many ways better than PA.
But that's my opinion.

When this webcomic becomes as hugely popular as Calvin & Hobbes or Penny Arcade, then maybe your opinion will have some value. :)

I don't even like Penny Arcade. But I'm speaking for an objective point of view, not merely stating my opinion.

Calvin and Hobbes?!?

<_<

>_>

<_<

What is this Calvin and Hobbes you speak of?

...just kidding. Best comic strip there ever was. Though how can you have only been reading it for the past week? If you have even the slightest interest in comic, Calvin and Hobbes is mandatory reading. It's the best thing ever put in the newspapers, including all the news...

Rainboq:

Oh my... I currently have so many feels, they are leaking out of my eyes. Warm, emotional feels...

Lunar Templar:

Rainboq:

Lunar Templar:

Sadly there is not.

T-T that gives me a sad.

But thank you posting it anyway :')

No problem, no problem what so ever :3

Krantos:
CALVIN AND HOBBES!

Wait... How the hell are you copying C&H? Crit Miss is nothing like C&H.

Stout has schizophrenia, Calvin has adventures with his stuffed Tiger. There's no overlap there.

No offense, but you also have a long way to go to come close to C&H.

Rainboq:

Oh my God... I love you... Why did Waterson have to retire? *sniff*

Because he was afraid of the strip getting stagant and too self referential... *cough* Garfield *cough*
Oh my... I currently have so many feels, they are leaking out of my eyes. Warm, emotional feels...[/quote]

Rainboq:
Because he was afraid of the strip getting stagant and too self referential... *cough* Garfield *cough*

I can respect that, I'd rather it stopped while it was still great then ... well Garfield ...

Lunar Templar:

Rainboq:

I can respect that, I'd rather it stopped while it was still great then ... well Garfield ...

Indeed, Garfield really should stop.

rhodo:

"Ripping off" ≠ "Being mistaken for"

Grey Carter:

rhodo:

Sure, grasp to semantics. That's totally gonna disprove the point I'm trying to make.

rhodo:

Grey Carter:

rhodo:

Sure, grasp to semantics. That's totally gonna disprove the point I'm trying to make.

It's not semantics, you completely misunderstood what I wrote. People always assume Penny Arcade is our central influences. It isn't. I never said anything about being mistaken for either strip.

As for the point you're trying to make; Critical Miss (which has been running for two years) isn't as good as Penny Arcade (15 years) and Calvin and Hobbes (a decade), the latter of which is widely considered the best comic strip of all time? I never noticed.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here