Zero Punctuation: Hitman: Absolution

Pages PREV 1 2 3

its square enix... your going to be disappointed a lot more than impressed by those guys

Racecarlock:

PsychedelicDiamond:
I hoped you wouldn't be too harsh on Absolution.It's a good game and it tries its best to combine classic Hitman gameplay with the gameplay of more conventional stealth-games to create a more varied and more storydriven experience.

If gameplay matters so little in comparison to story, why not have all games just be virtual books that you turn pages on?

Oh, actually i think, gameplay is more important than the plot. It's what distinguishes games as a medium.

PsychedelicDiamond:

Racecarlock:

PsychedelicDiamond:
I hoped you wouldn't be too harsh on Absolution.It's a good game and it tries its best to combine classic Hitman gameplay with the gameplay of more conventional stealth-games to create a more varied and more storydriven experience.

If gameplay matters so little in comparison to story, why not have all games just be virtual books that you turn pages on?

Oh, actually i think, gameplay is more important than the plot. It's what distinguishes games as a medium.

Well, thing is, I don't think yahtzee really wanted a more conventional stealth game. He wanted a massive open map blood money style game, but they shrunk everything to fit a story. Story is nice, but I think it should stop at the point where the world and gameplay are both being compromised to fit one. At least when it comes to games like this. And GTA type games too. There was way too much scripted crap in GTA IV.

Racecarlock:

Well, thing is, I don't think yahtzee really wanted a more conventional stealth game. He wanted a massive open map blood money style game, but they shrunk everything to fit a story. Story is nice, but I think it should stop at the point where the world and gameplay are both being compromised to fit one. At least when it comes to games like this. And GTA type games too. There was way too much scripted crap in GTA IV.

Absolution is not as good as Blood Money... i'm not gonna argue that. But i respect Eidos for trying to do something different with the franchise without failing as hard as they could have. Yes, there's room for improvement but i think they managed to preserve what made Blood Money great while adding some variety to the way missions are designed. Yes, the game could have done without the more linear sections but i can't say i didn't have fun with them too.

47 isn't an assassin, Yahtzee. An assassin and hitman are both separate with regard motivation and ethics.

Hitman 2 was the worst game? Oh Yahtzee, now I just KNOW you're trying to be controversial.

Good point by Yahtzee about Hitman 2, can't stand it.
Blood Money > Codename 47 > Contracts > Absolution > a fish skeleton down the cockhole > Silent Assassin
What's all this hate on Codename 47, anyway? I bet it's because it's too hard for you without mid-mission saves. The jungle levels are weak, true, but all the other levels are quite diverse and have a very distinct atmosphere. Coupled with refreshingly wonderful soundtrack, it is surpassed only by Blood Money.

I liked this one, the things that they changed were for the story, i admit i would have preferred a game based more on gameplay than story since that is why i play the hitman games but is quite a nice change comparing it to recent games, I miss having to chose your own equipment and upgrading it for a mission since it made the game more fun and added replayability, some levels are more linear and pretty easy to do except on Purist difficulty if you want to play a badass hitman game get this one and use purist difficulty only it won't disappoint.I didn't mind to much the score bar on top of the screen because it pushes you to be more careful and in the end you get a lot better thanks to it,i have to admit i had a lot of fun with this one. I advise you to play the other games first, blood Money is amazing, Hitman 2 has the best levels, contracts is kinda bland but fun and codename 47 is interesting.

speaking of tf2...
It seems that clothes actually do make the mann in video games.

(seriously why has nobody thought of this reference?)

Theirs the issues that bring it down from Blood Money like manual saves replaced with that "checkpoints" bullcheese, and also removes your ability to choose your loadout though story wise it does make some sense though you'd think 47 would have some armament stash somewhere.
& the stuff ZP says about the story focus which slightly sacrifices gameplay, where most of the levels are a bit to small.

Don't care about "instinct mode" or the score bar at the top, I can ignore that.

When he talked about running through the level "smacking your bum" to find where everything is, I was thinking it might help to have an option to do reconnaissance "the day before" or something, then have Hitman show the player points of interest e.g. "That pipe drops pianos every now and again, might be useful". I should probably write the game company rather than posting to this forum, but what the hell, I'm lazy.

My very very limited Hitman experience was also soured by the fact that I was dropped into a level with no idea where anything was or what to do. Maybe I'll go back and run around the levels a bit before seriousing the f up.

And the hilarious thing about score bar is that the perks it unlocks are once you would only need if played in a way that would get you -100 000 score i.e. shooting everything that moves.

Whoever the hell thought this game mechanic up needs to be examined.

And my feelings on 47's moral awakening are on the line with Yahtzee's. Guy has the kill record of plague and he just suddenly grows a heart out of nowhere because a little girl is involved? Bleh.

SnowBurst:
its square enix... your going to be disappointed a lot more than impressed by those guys

Deus Ex HR and Just Cause 2 beg to differ!

deus ex was a dissapointment and not played just cause 2 cuz i hated num 1. typical procedure is square enix take over company, company pumps out shit square enix likes, consumers get shafted but still by it

Yahtzee I can't believe I'm typing this but the " voices " are right for once you do have a problem.

Grand Pianos are a start, but in order to truly cleanse the world of The Fur, you need to use fire.
Beautiful, dancing, cleansing fire.

One question guys.
In Blood Money I often finished levels in an unconventional way. I did it in my own way without using scripted or specially placed tricks/items/etc. It gave me a "like-a-boss"-feeling whenever I just walked to the endpoint after doing my job in such a way. You know, "I love when a plan comes together." (even if it failed a million times before).

Now the question:
Can you get this feeling in Absolution or is the Blood Money freedom gone?

Anoni Mus:

I'd like also to criticize people who decide if they're going or not to buy a game based on Yhatzee critics, he's a comedian/critic, not a reviewer.

...and why, exactly, shouldn't I listen to the opinion of a critic when deciding whether or not to get something they are paid to critique?

PsychedelicDiamond:

Racecarlock:

PsychedelicDiamond:

So what? Is the most important aspect of film the special effects because it's what distinguishes film from books? Or should film-makers strive to create a satisfying and well-rounded story using the tools available to the medium in order to improve an experience?

Sizzle Montyjing:
Well, I've actually become more interested in Hitman: Blood Money as a result of this, but not Hitman: Absolution.
HURRAH FOR LOGIC!

I stared at your avatar for far too long.

OT: fully agree. a game with the right idea but bad/mediocre execution

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or