You Hear About That 47 Boy?

You Hear About That 47 Boy?

That 47 boy's gotten himself into a mess of trouble again.

Read Full Article

What a bizarre and interesting article. I'm not sure exactly how much it actually had to say, but it was still a lot of fun to read.

What an utterly horrible article. "That 47 boy"? Wtf? Googling that actually returns no useful results. I'm actually familiar with the Hitman series and had no idea what the hell you were talking about till I saw that picture on page 2.

You site a Rock Paper Shotgun reference and can't be bothered to link to it. The rest drags on like some disjointed, rambling exercise in pointlessness. What is this article even about? Agent 47 murders people for a living, we play AS him for entertainment and you take moral umbrage while babbling about lemonade?

Rubbish like this cluttering up a website is what drives readership down. It reads like a really bad Cracked article, only Cracked has better editors and would never approve this... material.

Well that was a fun read, and now has encouraged me, from now on, to refer to nuns as "those people in penguin costumes"

And you sir are the kind of simple minded fool that this article implies current poor marketing trends are aiming their advertising directly at. You've clearly taken it hook, line and sinker, whilst probably being far too young to remember the time when this franchise and by extension other recently mauled IPs could exist without marketing stunts that do nothing but detract from the actual product quality and damage the brand.

TL;DR.

Actually I couldn't even figure out it was about Hitman until I skipped to page 2 and found a picture of him.

I had to go to google and found this:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/381995/hitman-facebook-app-pulled-following-bullying-offence/

I include the link for anyone else who doesn't want to trawl through this drivel of an article.

I do like this feature most of the time, and I agree with the main point, but the way this one was presented... well, it just made it a lot less enjoyable to read. It was interesting, but it got in the way of the actual argument. Still, the central argument was good, despite the bizarre dressing.

That being said, it was kinda obvious this was talking about Hitman. Don't know why everyone else is so confused, considering Absolution just came out.

I love the presentation, honestly. Yes, it rambles a bit, but it's supposed to. It's written in character from the point of view of an elderly deacon, reminiscing about how hitman's image has changed, and he's antropomorpizing the game. I actually find that the presentation underlines the argument, because it draws parallels to the "good child gone bad" theme that's often prevalent in media. Well done to the author.

That was a pretty fun read, and the image in my head of a southern gentleman talking about this gave me the giggles. I enjoyed this, and I was highly entertained.

Good article.

That was a powerful good read mister, I hope to see more like this in future *Ahem* Yes, back to being British. Damn good article, I'd like to see more character driven stuff like this, adds an air of personality to it.

Interesting, bringing up the old fuck-ups of the Hitman franchise. It feels like ancient history.
It isn't.
But the article hasn't really brought any new insights with it as far as I can tell. And a silly gimmick is not going to sway my opinion in a positive direction.
So better luck next time, I guess.

I'm not loving the presentation here. I like the Critical Intel articles' previous hard fact, researched, even clinical sometimes tone much better. There are plenty of quirky characterized offerings here on the Escapist and few straight to the point factual toned offerings. Honestly, I couldn't even get all the way through this one - it was just too... failing to be funny about what I think could have been a good serious look at something. That's my feedback, if you're looking for it.

Looking back at it, I think I figured out what the problem with this article is: It's a solid article, but it isn't a Critical Intel article. Both this article and the previous 'Desperate Housewives of Skyrim' article felt like they belonged to a totally different column than the other, more fact-driven articles.

Although I personally enjoy this style of article, I think the author should pick one style or the other for this column since the overlap in people who enjoy both kinds is likely rather small.

I found this article to have an interesting angle but I think it ultimately grew thin and served no greater purpose.

I think the subject would have been better served by a more serious article.

Good article. It took a bit to follow, but it was worth it in the end.

Hope ya get what ya need to get healthy.

Mr. Omega:
I do like this feature most of the time, and I agree with the main point, but the way this one was presented... well, it just made it a lot less enjoyable to read. It was interesting, but it got in the way of the actual argument. Still, the central argument was good, despite the bizarre dressing.

That being said, it was kinda obvious this was talking about Hitman. Don't know why everyone else is so confused, considering Absolution just came out.

Mylinkay Asdara:
I'm not loving the presentation here. I like the Critical Intel articles' previous hard fact, researched, even clinical sometimes tone much better. There are plenty of quirky characterized offerings here on the Escapist and few straight to the point factual toned offerings. Honestly, I couldn't even get all the way through this one - it was just too... failing to be funny about what I think could have been a good serious look at something. That's my feedback, if you're looking for it.

Falterfire:
Looking back at it, I think I figured out what the problem with this article is: It's a solid article, but it isn't a Critical Intel article. Both this article and the previous 'Desperate Housewives of Skyrim' article felt like they belonged to a totally different column than the other, more fact-driven articles.

Although I personally enjoy this style of article, I think the author should pick one style or the other for this column since the overlap in people who enjoy both kinds is likely rather small.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I truly appreciate it. Next week we'll be back to the normal CritIntel format, I just felt like trying something new. Mostly the voice I used in this column was meant to satirize how we in game journalism (and also the community at large) tend to talk about things like the Hitman Facebook app and "Nun Massacre" trailer the same way people in small towns gossip about minor scandals--i.e. we have a powerful urge to state how wrong we think this stuff is and see what each other say about it, but we're likely playing in to an ad scheme that's trying to make us behave that way. Maybe that was more of an in-joke than I realized. I knew when I wrote it that there would be some people who wouldn't take to the format and it would be kind of a love-it-or-hate-it thing, but decided I liked it enough to just put it out there and see what people thought. So my point is: thanks for bearing with me this week.

So no need to worry, this isn't going to be a regular feature of CritIntel and we'll be back to heavy fact-and-research stuff next week. Though on occasion I will run a lighter article like Skyrim, since heavy research columns take a long time to put together--20 to 25 hours some of them--and, frankly, I can't always manage that each week while working a full-time day job. So when you see something like Skyrim pop up, it either means I'm working on an upcoming piece that requires a lot of research or else it might've been written on a week I couldn't devote as much time as usual. (Like Thanksgiving, for example!)

Anyway--cheers, let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for reading!

I'm guessing the game title was deliberately left out so as avoid advertising the game,
which is likely what the purpose of this facebook app was designed to do.
ie - create 'controversy' = (cheap / free) exposure = likely more sales (sadly).

or not, i donno.

Honestly, I don't see the problem with this article. In fact, I wouldn't mind if articles like these were more present.

I mean, first off, if you are familiar with the Hitman series in any way, you know about its protagonist, Agent 47, and the title already catches your eye. If you don't, then that's OK, since you probably aren't aware about all the controversy surrounding the Hitman series anyway and the article isn't directed toward you.

This article, with its POV satire format of stereotypical old man nostalgia, isn't really meant to inform more as it is to criticize. Personally, if you can get past and actually enjoy the writing style (as I did), then it's quite an enjoyable read, and the humor in it is a lot more subtle than a lot of the other things offered in the site. It isn't all innuendos from Yahtzee or references from LRR (though I love both), but rather it takes its position as a satire and the controversy of the Hitman series and makes for a funny five minute read.

Really, the only thing that's really baffling me, though, is that some people didn't catch on immediately to it being able Hitman until they skipped to the second page. Yeah, the format may not be for everyone and can be a bit of a turn-off, but are you guys honestly telling me that 47 Boy didn't tip anyone off?

It was about a quarter of the way through the article that I realized that the article was talking about Agent 47 from Hitman, and not Mitt Romney.

Everyone seems to have disliked the article, so I thought I'd comment just to let you know that I loved it. The subtle humour was great, kept me grinning the whole way through and paying attention. It reminded me of Film Crit Hulk, not the style itself but what it can achieve. He's said before that with a different style people take the time to read it more carefully, rather than just skim through, because they have to read slower since they aren't used to that style. I don't think that was heavily in play here, but it's something to think about. Anyway, I really enjoyed the writing style myself, and I certainly don't think it detracted from the message.

ThunderCavalier:
Yeah, the format may not be for everyone and can be a bit of a turn-off, but are you guys honestly telling me that 47 Boy didn't tip anyone off?

Yes, not everyone on this site is necessarily a hardcore gamer that will get every reference. I get that he site is generally for those people so it doesn't really bother me that it took me until the second page to realise it was about hitman and then to actually read the comments to understand what the article was on about, but I think there are a lot of people who come here because in general the Escapist publishes a lot of interesting articles on a wider variety of subjects and they aren't necessarily going to understand this. Which is fine, but this one was particularly cryptic, especially for a column that usually gets it's point across very well.

Personally I'm not a fan of this style of writing, if you have something to say then I would prefer it if you said it clearly and concisely. Well done for trying something new though.

I've never played any of the Hitman games but having been fortunate(?) enough to have stumbled onto news of the various scandals the series has been through lately I cottoned on to the premise (and joke angle) of the article pretty quickly.

It's less an issue of style and more one of clarity and hyperlink rigor, I suppose.

For what it's worth, I quite liked it. Not often an article grabs me enough to comment, I'll say.

Robert Rath:

Thanks for the feedback guys, I truly appreciate it. Next week we'll be back to the normal CritIntel format, I just felt like trying something new. Mostly the voice I used in this column was meant to satirize how we in game journalism (and also the community at large) tend to talk about things like the Hitman Facebook app and "Nun Massacre" trailer the same way people in small towns gossip about minor scandals--i.e. we have a powerful urge to state how wrong we think this stuff is and see what each other say about it, but we're likely playing in to an ad scheme that's trying to make us behave that way. Maybe that was more of an in-joke than I realized. I knew when I wrote it that there would be some people who wouldn't take to the format and it would be kind of a love-it-or-hate-it thing, but decided I liked it enough to just put it out there and see what people thought. So my point is: thanks for bearing with me this week.

So no need to worry, this isn't going to be a regular feature of CritIntel and we'll be back to heavy fact-and-research stuff next week. Though on occasion I will run a lighter article like Skyrim, since heavy research columns take a long time to put together--20 to 25 hours some of them--and, frankly, I can't always manage that each week while working a full-time day job. So when you see something like Skyrim pop up, it either means I'm working on an upcoming piece that requires a lot of research or else it might've been written on a week I couldn't devote as much time as usual. (Like Thanksgiving, for example!)

Anyway--cheers, let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for reading!

Actually, now that you reveal the motivation, that is pretty clever and I can appreciate that. Re-reading the article with that in mind, it's a much different read. As a suggestion, if you come up with something similar in the future, give a quick introduction to the experimental format, quick summary of the inspiration, something that let's us in on the process a bit and I think people would respond far more positively - I know I would.

For the record - I loved the Skyrim one, but I think that's also because I'd seen things like it before and could therefore pick up right away on what you were doing and why it was being done, which made me accept it very readily.

The format for this one was a little more original/obscure and so some thought process introduction would have, for me, made all the difference in the tone of my feedback.

Thanks for listening and responding too! Great work. Research isn't easy, I know, ugh I know too well - especially into video game themed issues. For me, when I do it for my classes - I try to get one video game themed project or paper in somewhere per semester - I always end up having to do twice the research I would for any thing else. One set of research for the idea and another set in games and then a half set trying to pair the two legitimately. A light one now and then, super-good idea - just let me know what we're doing that week and I'm golden.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here