Escape to the Movies: Killing Them Softly

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Huh.

When I saw the poster for this, I assumed it was about a bearded Brad Pitt teaming up with Feminists to go and kill a bunch of advertisers...

By the way, I love it when Bob brings out his sexy accent.

Can't wait for the Star Trek review! I mean, all the new teaser trailer had were EXPLOSIONS and WOMEN SCREAMING and EXPLOSIONS and PEOPLE JUMPING and EXPLOSIONS and SHERLOCK HOLMES THREATENING VENGEANCE and EXPLOSIONS. And some more EXPLOSIONS. So I know his review will be entertaining. :D

I was initially going to see this, but hearing such bad stuff about it, I'll probably wait for a rental. Not that I wouldn't necessarily like it, but the people I tend to see movies with don't have the same tastes that I have. Taking them to see Drive, for example, was a huge mistake.

Regarding the new Star Trek, Bob, you could write an entire article on crappy movie posters. In fact, you probably already have and I'm just forgetting it. I'm just excited that they've got Benedict Cumberbatch as the villain, he's going to be 90% of the reason why I see that movie.

Yeah yeah, we should be commenting on the movie and/or how it meshes with today's pop-culture... but I am throwing my hat in with the I-like-Bob's-accent crowd :-)

Lol i love when bob goes in and out of that thick boston accent. Even thou i like to laugh at the boston accent normally I do enjoy bob lol

You know, I really wanted to like Assassination of Jesse James. I read alot about the James/Younger gang, the whole thing. I love the story and the history there. I love slow, introspective films. I even somewhat liked the source material.

I hated the film. It's gorgeous, the performances are excellent, but it feels like a pretentious version of a greatest hits album of Jesse James as played by a midnight anchor on your local PBS affiliate.

I thought he called it killing me softly as a joke at first, because this nearly bored me to death. I watched Silent Hill 3D and awful though it was, it was far more watchable than this.

I was looking forward to this. I like gritty small time criminal stories. Also, I'd like to point out that I absolutely hate Boston accent. It sounds like talking to a child with a mouthful of chocolate or something.

gardian06:
Hey Bob, Bob
didn't something else come out today that a lot more people would be interested in hearing about, or were you afraid of coming off with too much of nerdgasm?

Actually no. That opens December 12 in some european countries and December 14 in the US.

No matter when or where I hear about this movie, I can't help but think of that song. You know the one I mean.

I had to watch the review twice because I was too busy listening to the accent.

I assume he was doing a Boston accent (I'n guessing here as a non-american) due to the setting location of the film he was reviewing. I must say though, his usual accent is much easier on the ears and overall far less distracting.

MovieBob, the only thing worse than your accent is when you switch between your accent and actual English.

I love your videos though.

For those weird people that seem to like accents...
I'm Dutch (meaning I live in The Netherlands) and you seriously do NOT want to hear the accent that seems to accompany the average Dutch person when they speak English.
I think you could compare that with a Swedish person trying to do a Boston accent with a overinflated tongue after having received a lobotomy and being completely devoid of all human emotion.
It's that bad...

I found a video... this made me want to kill myself... : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka3l6JTA31U

This movie had the best closing line in recent years!

Raiyan 1.0:
Can't wait for the Star Trek review! I mean, all the new teaser trailer had were EXPLOSIONS and WOMEN SCREAMING and EXPLOSIONS and PEOPLE JUMPING and EXPLOSIONS and SHERLOCK HOLMES THREATENING VENGEANCE and EXPLOSIONS. And some more EXPLOSIONS. So I know his review will be entertaining. :D

What, was this film sponsored by the Torque Corporation?

Had to stop this one. Can't stand the accent. Not sure if it's a problem with the recording, but it's just awful to hear it creep in and out.

bibblles:
I actually went to this one and I gotta say, bob is really playing down the political drama in this film. It was so prominent that I was the only one of my friends who didn't wind up angry. I came out of the theater laughing my ass off because of how clever the whole setup was. while my friends were all grumbling about how they had to see more political stuff after the election.

Really? [BEGIN ANGRY OLD MAN RANT] Dangit, can't we have a simple criminal heist flick with guns and tough guys without cramming politics into it? What was the movie saying, all politicians and stockbrokers are criminals? Ooh, edgy! [END ANGRY OLD MAN RANT]
But really, Bob, I liked how you let out the Bawston accent again to poke fun at your hometown. It can't really be that much of a hive of scum and villainy, can it? It's not in my list of cities fitting that description. It was nice when I went there.

Can't watch it. If we let them get away with a title just because the majority people who'd spend money on it happen to be young enough to not know the song it came from they wont stop. I don't want to watch a drug movie called "Bite the Dust".

letting the accent out again to breath. :-p

Very good review and yet another film that probably would have gone over my head.

Also, return of the Boston accent!

JenSeven:
I'm Dutch (meaning I live in The Netherlands) and you seriously do NOT want to hear the accent that seems to accompany the average Dutch person when they speak English.
I think you could compare that with a Swedish person trying to do a Boston accent with a overinflated tongue after having received a lobotomy and being completely devoid of all human emotion.
It's that bad...

I found a video... this made me want to kill myself... : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka3l6JTA31U

Haha awesome, I love accents.
I actually was in the Netherlands with my girlfriend for a few weeks so I got used to it, but its been a while :P
That's such a hard accent.
I wish I had a video of a really bad Hebrew accented English, but I wasn't too lucky searching youtube.
I really have a hard time keeping a straight face when I hear my family speak english.

I waited for the point Bob would state outright what the "political point" would be... But it didn't come, so I did what I could on my own...

Pretty much, the film might be saying that the financial crisis, and any matters regarding money on large scale going bust is usually the result of widespread incompetence. So...

...What would be the best solution at that point? Stepping back and letting the greedy, and temporarily successful but dumb get what was coming to them? Or Find some way to solve the problem of incompetence by fixing the education system?

Who knows? For all I care, it doesn't matter. Giants rise because they are lucky and fall because they were careless. But Great men rise thanks to great care and consideration; and fall only when defeated by an even more competent man.

Brad Pitt playing an evil version of another one of his characters... does he have a goatee in this one? Yes? excellent.

maxben:

JenSeven:
It's that bad...

Haha awesome, I love accents.
I actually was in the Netherlands with my girlfriend for a few weeks so I got used to it, but its been a while :P
That's such a hard accent.
I wish I had a video of a really bad Hebrew accented English, but I wasn't too lucky searching youtube.
I really have a hard time keeping a straight face when I hear my family speak english.

Wait...
"That's such a hard accent."
You mean a hard accent, as in to copy?
Why would you do such a terrible thing? The average Dutch accent when speaking English is simply dreadful. I would not advice anyone to perform such an atrocity on the English language.
Sure the actual Dutch language is quite hard with several sounds that do not exist in the English language or sound completely different, but to use that when actually speaking the English language can be compared to torture of the ear drums.

Must say, I don't mind the accent but stick to it and don't keep the fading in and out of the damn thing. I'm sure if a character in a movie forgot to use an accent during a particular scene you would be all over that foolishness and poor editing.

Also, I thought you said the movie wasn't based in Boston but rather in New Orleans? Why even use your accent then?

OT: Not a movie I was particularly interested in seeing before except once you pointed out the political spin on it, I might give it a try. Not in theaters though. Until the Hobbit comes out I'm no longer adventuring to the movies but rather sticking to my own home and Netflix account.

Darth_Payn:

bibblles:
I actually went to this one and I gotta say, bob is really playing down the political drama in this film. It was so prominent that I was the only one of my friends who didn't wind up angry. I came out of the theater laughing my ass off because of how clever the whole setup was. while my friends were all grumbling about how they had to see more political stuff after the election.

Really? [BEGIN ANGRY OLD MAN RANT] Dangit, can't we have a simple criminal heist flick with guns and tough guys without cramming politics into it? What was the movie saying, all politicians and stockbrokers are criminals? Ooh, edgy! [END ANGRY OLD MAN RANT]
But really, Bob, I liked how you let out the Bawston accent again to poke fun at your hometown. It can't really be that much of a hive of scum and villainy, can it? It's not in my list of cities fitting that description. It was nice when I went there.

Really, did this only come out in the states a week or 2 ago? I saw this in Australia in the cinema about 2 1/2 months ago.

Anyways - I found the film to be more of an economic study and introspection more than a political one, but the two are very intertwined and i guess it's just how you look at it. Maybe being in Australia i just had a more outside view on it. But, i really enjoyed it. And even if look at as a political analogy, it really wasn't so much saying "all politicians and stockbrokers are criminals", as just drawing parallels between the economies of the two ends of the world and the problems faced by them. That's how i took it anyways, like i said, maybe just an outsider's view.

Anyways. Good film. Not the best, but i described it to my friends as an extremely interesting film.

Abandon4093:
I'll tell you the reason no body watched that film Bob.

The name...... it's got to be the most uncomfortably long film name in the history of film names.

The Assassination of Jesse James would have sufficed.

It might have 'sufficed' for audiences but it was important to the film. Most underrated film of the decade, that one.

El_Ganso:
This movie had the best closing line in recent years!

Yeah, because it signaled that the movie was finally over.

Woodsey:

Abandon4093:

The name...... it's got to be the most uncomfortably long film name in the history of film names.

It might have 'sufficed' for audiences but it was important to the film. Most underrated film of the decade, that one.

Why do we need to know he was a coward in the title?

Surely the films characterisation of him would have been enough. Or is it supposed to be some sort of on the nose rip at propaganda?

I'm honestly asking because I haven't seen the film. I just know the title seems needlessly long and awkward. And yes, that will put audiences off.

Abandon4093:

Woodsey:

Abandon4093:

Why do we need to know he was a coward in the title?

Surely the films characterisation of him would have been enough. Or is it supposed to be some sort of on the nose rip at propaganda?

I'm honestly asking because I haven't seen the film. I just know the title seems needlessly long and awkward. And yes, that will put audiences off.

Because it's important for the irony of it to linger over the film. It's similarly important that it's also called The Assassination of Jesse James and not just Jesse James, or something else entirely. It's also arguably more a film about Ford than it is about James, but obviously the entire thing pivots on the assassination.

Is sounds a little like pulp fiction, but not as good

TheSchaef:
I am looking forward to Into Darkness about as much as I imagine Bob is not.

He's not excited about something with Benedict Cumberpatch in it?

It's...Sherlock <.<...

Bob... I love your reviews but you gotta stop forcing the Boston accent. I just started watching your reviews again after an 8 month hiatus and half the time you sound normal while the other half the time you sound like you're trying to imitate Micky Ward from the fighter. You move to Southie or somethin? lol

theultimateend:
He's not excited about something with Benedict Cumberpatch in it?

It's a paradox he'll have to resolve but he will surprise me with a glowing review, unless the movie is just so freaking good that it surprises him first.

Historically, Bob has not looked kindly on modern reworkings that eschew certain elements of beloved franchises to make them more actiony and explosiony. While I think the previous movie just barely predates this series, he has referenced it numerous times since, and pretty much always as a negative comparison. See also: Transformers. He was slightly kinder to Sherlock Holmes but almost entirely on the strength of Downey and Law's expert acting.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here