Escapist Podcast: 070: Gaming Remakes and Tattoo Nightmares

Pages 1 2 NEXT

070: Gaming Remakes and Tattoo Nightmares

This week, we discuss classic games being remade. We also talk about the new Hobbit film and Lego Lord of the Rings.

Watch Video

Ah, useless fact for you. Jesus fish named:ichthus

I've been pondering that last question all year. Thanks!

I tuned into the Escapist Podcat, what the shit is this video game talk in the very beginning?

Hooray someone else is from Grand Rapids!

I am really happy about how good persona 4 golden is sounding because I too love persona 4. I would have been happy if it was just a port to the vita but the other stuff sounds really good. I can't wait to try the new social link. The problem is that it isn't released til February or march in UK

Hearing what Susan said I feel I have to say this. I played Tell Tales Walking Dead off of your episode 1 and 2 review. And my god... my god. Sooooooooo good. I actually just yesterday finished the series. It's the only game that has made me legitimately cry (as in tears down the face not just lump in the throat).

So thank you Susan. Thank you for showing me that wonderful experience.

Eric the Orange:
Hearing what Susan said I feel I have to say this. I played Tell Tales Walking Dead off of your episode 1 and 2 review. And my god... my god. Sooooooooo good. I actually just yesterday finished the series. It's the only game that has made me legitimately cry (as in tears down the face not just lump in the throat).

So thank you Susan. Thank you for showing me that wonderful experience.

Hooray! I'm so glad. Walking Dead really is a remarkable gaming experience - I will preach that one all day long, to get as many people playing it as I can. So very happy you gave it a shot. :)

Podcat Furbabies. That needs to be a t-shirt.

on the question about turning something that you love into a job. I think it has the most to do with a bit more context. is that your plan to do it for a job (went and got a degree specifically to do it as a job), or is it just something that you enjoy, and becomes your job?

so for example I am going to use myself and a couple people I knew who wanted to be game programmers/developers (this was before these specialized degrees were everywhere) well the thing that most people right out of a Computer Science degree that want to be game devs/programers do is game testing, and we all ended up in the same testing group several times, but when you hear about game testing, and they say that they do 8hour days the typical thought is "you get paid to play games for 8hours a day. that sounds so awesome" to which I usually want to just start screaming at them until they go away (and not the ranting scream because that never worked, but just the incoherent noise scream) because it is not awesome, and in many cases you will come to hate either specific genres, to games in general. because you are not only playing games for 8hours a day you are playing the same game for 8hours a day, and with a high likelihood the same (many times 10 minute section) part for upwards of 2-3hours, and your not playing it for the fun of it you are playing it to find flaws, and then give details on everything that happened that made that flaw evident. then you are doing this for 2-3 sometimes 6 months on the same game. this is why I will never play a sports game again because I had to spend 5 months with a MF football game making sure that not only every play worked, but also making sure different combinations of plays worked with each possible opposition team for each player selectable team in the game.

so to put this experience into understanding take one of those games that you will say the words "this should never had been released" then take that game and play 30 minute sections (particularly the ones that are broken) and then write down what you did that made the game break (including every button that you pushed), and then repeat it if possible do this for about an hour, and you will start to understand what I am talking about here. though once I got to actually making the games I remembered why I loved it so much. I will still never play another sports game.

Damn it! Now I need to go and get me some poutine (which apparently the Escapist doesn't recognize as a word).
*shakes fist*

Don't drink or smoke, but I still really want to party with all of you.

:D You have ALL the awesome. ALL OF IT!

Thanks for the podcast!

When you were talking about doing the job you love I kind of understand where your coming from. I'm at college to become a level designer and thats because I love the medium so much and I want to give people the joy that I feel when I play games so much that I want it to be my job but thinking about video games and designing them and developing levels can be really taxing at times. I've noticed that I read manga so much more then I used to and don't get to play the newest games anymore just because I don't want to think about games for a few hours. It doesn't mean that I don't care as much as I used to, I just need to stop for an hour

Goddamn i thought it was just me that found quantum of solace completely incomprehensible! Today is a good day!

Thanks for being on time guys!

Migs:
Thanks for being on time guys!

I think that they have moved to maybe having these prepared on Thursdays, so they can be put up Friday mornings (with Escape To the Movies. mainly to avoid the "when are they going to put it up?" questions.

clarification from someone on the Podcast team would be nice.

once again a great podcat however lots of background noise this time i think I heard someone singing once? as well as someone breathing into the mic for the later half haha.

Additionally: I love when they talk about the idea of escapism I relate so much it is great to hear people talk about it.

Hahaha... "May orees"... I guess that makes the former leader of China 'Chairman Mayo'.

RhombusHatesYou:
Hahaha... "May orees"... I guess that makes the former leader of China 'Chairman Mayo'.

So I take it that's your way of telling me I mispronounced Maori. Sorry, not sure I've ever actually heard it said out loud.

Susan Arendt:

RhombusHatesYou:

So I take it that's your way of telling me I mispronounced Maori. Sorry, not sure I've ever actually heard it said out loud.

Apologies if that came across as harsh.

Yeah, it's pronounced... well, the closest approximation in written form is 'mao'+'ree'. As a general rule of thumb with most Polynesian languages you can use general Japanese phonetic conventions (except the r/l issue) and you'll be close enough to get away with it most of the time.

Man, I came late to this gathering.
Hav't even heard the podcast yet, been busy jamming in Valkyrie Chronicles.

Thanks for ruining the snake thing in Raiders for me guys. That film is now a sham to me...a SHAM!

As for the Indy sword vs gunfight, yup, he was ill, most of them had horrific diarrhoea/dysentery, John Rhys Davis pooped himself on set.

and just because i am a terribly annoying nitpicker when it comes to history: the marshal plan was not just for Germany but for all of Europe and was one of the most brilliant moves the US could have made, at the same time generating a lot of good will in Europe and giving a boost to their own economy (because someone had to produce all the stuff the European nations would buy with the american money). it was such a good deal for everyone involved that even some eastern European nations wanted to get in on the action but were not allowed by the USSSR.

and i did not have farcry 3 on my radar at all since i was so disappointed by 2 (great ideas but the respawning enemies and stupid malaria mechanics ruined it for me) but i bought it based off your review and i love it, definitely in my top 5 this year.

Susan, before I got sidetracked with being a smartarse, I meant to say that you were on the money about the prevailing attitudes concerning other people helping themselves to traditional Polynesian tattoo designs/styles, especially ones that hold cultural significance (a lot of Polynesian peoples' tattooing traditions have both socio-cultural significant tattoos, such as ones denoting 'tribe', social status, religious significance, etc, and tattoos that were purely decorative).

A lot of it has to do with the kind of bullshit that occurs when an indigenous artform becomes becomes popular and, therefore, profitable.

As a bit of trivia, Te Moko (traditional Maori tattoos) weren't done with a needle such as most other tattoos are done but with an uhe (albatross bone chisel).

A chisel. In the face (and other places).

That's how hardcore you have to be for other Polynesians to go "That shit is hardcore." ;)

On the other hand, I think we'd see a lot less crappy, ill-thought out tattoos if they were done with a sodding chisel. :D

Daryl was also in Pandorum. I didn't realize this until one night after watching an episode of Walking Dead, I flipped over to Syfy (still hate that name) to see him strung up being gutted and eaten alive by superevolved cannibals.

On another note I'm almost scared to pick up Baldur's Gate again. There were entire months of my life I lost to that game. My perception of time disappeared. I think I recall playing it for a 23 hour stretch, maybe stopping to eat 12 hours in.

Did I accidently trigger your segue spelling rage when I misspelled it on the news wrap Susan?
If So My Apologies.

Revolutionary:
Did I accidently trigger your segue spelling rage when I misspelled it on the news wrap Susan?
If So My Apologies.

Oh, I see it all the time. That and "per say." Which also drives me batty.

Was someone playing M83 somewhere else in the office that day? I swear at 1:23:18 I keep hearing the start of Midnight City in the background.

Hmm, may have to check out LEGO LotR afterall. Have never been much of a fan but I do like LEGO games so maybe. I still doubt it'll top LEGO Batman 2, the writing was so genuinely funny and fan-service for DC fans was just great. Ah Lego Batman 2... good times.

Add me to the list of people recommending Arrested Development.

I was like you, so many people on forums and that had recommended it, I was "I'll get round to it later, maybe" but I eventually caved, and by god, when I did. IT WAS AMAZING.

Speaking of Lego games, Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes is my personal favourite. Also, I enjoyed Lego Indiana Jones . Despite having never watched/read, Lord Of The Rings, I'm still very tempted to pick it up just because of my love for the Lego series (haven't actually seen any of the Star Wars films either but I loved those games as well).

Also "he moved his profile down to my Xbox" sounds like some sort of strange euphemism

Arrested Development is one of those things that I absolutely love, but can understand why others don't like it.

Also, loving the sneaky Arrested Development lines you've been dropping into the podcasts, Greg.

Not a smoker, but my dad smokes, and good grief, ever since I moved out, I can't stand the smell of tobacco.

About the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, I agree 100% that it's great to have an enhanced edition that will open it up to other people. However, like Justin said, there are all these mods I love to use, and I'm going to stick to those (if I ever play BG1 ever again, I have too many games in my backlog). I still think it's awesome that they did this, and that Beamdog put so much work into the EE. What a lot of people don't know is that they went back and corrected all the spelling mistakes, particularly in all the translations. They've been great about accepting feedback from all the various modders, and translators who have been making the games better for the past decade.

About The Walking Dead, I'm surprised about all these reports of bugs, I didn't have a single problem. The only issue I had was a graphical glitch in episode 3 when Katjaa was holding thin air instead of Duck, but that's the only thing that came up. I loved that game, I absolutely loved it. Heart-crushing, mind-blowing. I bought it during the Steam Thanksgiving sale and just blew through it. I didn't mind the QTEs all that much, even though I usually hate those. In this game, they felt appropriate and very much relevant to the situation.

Also, Susan's right, Daryl in The Walking Dead TV series is pretty hot. ^_^

Great podcat, see you guys next week! :)

Ok, Lego Batman 2 is great (except for the game-halting glitch), but I'd say LOTR is even better. But the tones are diferent - Batman goes for a lot of laughs (especially how Batman is such a grump around Superman) and LOTR is pretty chuckle-free. But on the other hand, Batman has some tech issues that really drove me insane and LOTR (so far) doesn't.

I don't know
Thing is, "segue" is pronounced as "segway"
"segue" should be pronounced as [segu:], [sege:] or [segue:]
instead there is distinct "way" in the pronunciation of "segue"
I think that is the main reason behind confusion
Although since english is my third language, I might not be qualified to discuss this

Poutine. LOL. Food from my place here in Quebec. It's my first hearing the word poutine on any gaming website. I laughed so hard about it. But the best of the best of poutine is here in Quebec. ;)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here