Trailers: Metal Gear Solid - Phantom Pain Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Metal Gear Solid - Phantom Pain Trailer

I don't know about you but I've always wanted to play a game as a paraplegic with a claw hand.

Watch Video

It got confirmed as a MGS game? Still not buying it, unless it's a brand new main character

...Well, colour me excited.

This looks fascinatingly mad.

Also, my first reaction was...Russian Gandhi? What?

Wh...what even the hell did I just watch? Black ops riding unicorns with horns made of flames and flying whales eating helicopters? What? This is a joke, right? This is Kojima parodying his own tendency toward absurdity, right?

JimB:
Wh...what even the hell did I just watch? Black ops riding unicorns with horns made of flames and flying whales eating helicopters? What? This is a joke, right? This is Kojima parodying his own tendency toward absurdity, right?

God I fucking hope so. At first it looked interesting, new and pretty cool, but then a GIANT FLAMING WHALE ate a helicopter, so I just.... dunno!

Looks good. I'm hoping they move away from the technology thing from 4, and make it more magical, like 3 or Rising.

JimB:

Well Kojima did say he was going to use MGS to test new ideas.

If it's "canon" 1. God help us. 2. It could be a hospital full of failed Big Boss Clones(obviously, in Silent Hill)

There's a theory about this that I quite like:

This game depicts the formation of the FOXHOUND unit, and the trailer you see is the part where Big Boss first meets Psycho Mantis.

This.... looks good. Surprisingly enough. Theres a lot of potential if they go "balls to the walls" with some sort of brain injury that causes him to hallucinate (which is my guess as to why there is a flaming unicorn).

Ronack:
It got confirmed as a MGS game? Still not buying it, unless it's a brand new main character

Agreed. The guy with no hand looked kinda like Snake, but you don't really get a clear profile shot of his face. And it can't really be Big Boss, since he has a normal hand...and we all know normal Snake didn't loose a friggin' arm anytime before he got old. I also don't really see why everyone is going on about this being an MGS game. It seems nothing like Metal Gear Solid, aside from the back of the dudes head...a bit.

I want it now.
Finally someone has made the next sequel to Silent Hill and someone has made the next sequel to Metal Gear Solid.
It's just lucky for me that they were the same person, and it happened to be the same game.
ALL MY MONEY.

But what about Ground Zeroes, weren't they making that as well?

So it is an MGS game?

That's a shame. Wish it was an actual new IP.

Though this further re-enforces the fact that Kojima loves to fuck with people, and that he should make the next Silent Hill. Because he'd be perfect for a series known for fucking with people.

Reaper195:

Ronack:

Agreed. The guy with no hand looked kinda like Snake, but you don't really get a clear profile shot of his face. And it can't really be Big Boss, since he has a normal hand...and we all know normal Snake didn't loose a friggin' arm anytime before he got old. I also don't really see why everyone is going on about this being an MGS game. It seems nothing like Metal Gear Solid, aside from the back of the dudes head...a bit.

If you check out this thread about the trailer, you'll find fairly conclusive evidence that it is related to Metal Gear Solid.

What cinches it for me is that "Metal Gear Solid V" clearly 'fits' into the "Phantom Pain" title:

And also, the trailer was released by "Joakim Mogren", which is an anagram of Kojima and a reference to Project Ogre.

James Joseph Emerald:

Reaper195:

Ronack:

If you check out this thread about the trailer, you'll find fairly conclusive evidence that it is related to Metal Gear Solid.

What cinches it for me is that "Metal Gear Solid V" clearly 'fits' into the "Phantom Pain" title:

And also, the trailer was released by "Joakim Mogren", which is an anagram of Kojima and a reference to Project Ogre.

That thread is...interesting. And while I can see the connecions, I'll sit here and hope it's an original until it's officially released. And the only thing that makes me question whether it is MGS5 or not....is the lack of an arm. Big Boss died at the end of 4, and Solid Snake is Old Snake, neither of which could be this dude with no arm. The Volgin costume is stretching it a fair bit, since you don't get a real or truly focused look at it. And that Volgin died in 3. And that Boss still has his arm.

Essentially...this keeps coming down to that arm. The only character I can think of that lost an arm is Grey Fox. Ocelot was already old when his hand was cut off (By Fox). Man...this'd be awesome if all the connections with MGS5 are simply a marketing ploy, and that the game is entirely original with no connection to MGS at all. Developed by Konami. That'd rock.

I wonder if this is all a dream while Big Boss was in his nanomachine-induced coma.

Spoilers, by the way, for those of you who haven't played a four year-old game.

Here's a thought, people! Couldn't this person have lost their arm after Metal Gear Solid 4?

I'm more interested in the person labeled as the assist character. It looks like he just wants to use the main character as leverage or bait for later, why else carry around a person half dead while you're being hunted, but we don't even get a shot of him.
I'm always cool with seeing flying, combusting whales, so I'll keep my eye on this one.

crimson sickle2:
I'm more interested in the person labeled as the assist character. It looks like he just wants to use the main character as leverage or bait for later, why else carry around a person half dead while you're being hunted, but we don't even get a shot of him.
I'm always cool with seeing flying, combusting whales, so I'll keep my eye on this one.

They could be mates.

While there does seem to be a disturbing amount of evidence that suggests it's going to be connected to MSG (Or MGS5 itself)...but the one thing that I keep coming back to that can't really correlate with the rest of the game series. The man is missing his arm. Big Boss and Snake both had their arms (And normal arms, not cybernetic) at the end of MGS4. So either it's another clone that was hidden away for the entire series...or it might possibly be a game by Kojima, and he's trolling everyone. And the game is utterly original and he's just using a familiar character model for the lulz.
Again...it keeps coming back to that missing limb.

What is it that female voice says at the end? Sounds a little like Olga Gurlukovich saying "Leave this country."

Reaper195:

Essentially...this keeps coming down to that arm. The only character I can think of that lost an arm is Grey Fox. Ocelot was already old when his hand was cut off (By Fox). Man...this'd be awesome if all the connections with MGS5 are simply a marketing ploy, and that the game is entirely original with no connection to MGS at all. Developed by Konami. That'd rock.

I dunno, the missing arm is in the same trailer with unicorns and giant flaming whales. I don't think you can assume it's any more than a hallucination, in which case the arm is probably a red herring.

Though I agree it would be kind of cool if it was a Silent Hill remake or something, I also like the idea of it exploring the backstory of characters like Psycho Mantis, Liquid Snake and Sniper Wolf. And Decoy Octopus, what was his deal with the blood draining?

AgentLampshade:
What is it that female voice says at the end? Sounds a little like Olga Gurlukovich saying "Leave this country."

I heard that as "V has come to", like the protagonist's codename is "V" (hence Metal Gear Solid V) and you have just come to, as in woken up from your coma.

Am I the only one who thought it the title of the game was Metal Gear Solid: Phantom Limb Pain.

James Joseph Emerald:

Reaper195:

I dunno, the missing arm is in the same trailer with unicorns and giant flaming whales. I don't think you can assume it's any more than a hallucination, in which case the arm is probably a red herring.

Though I agree it would be kind of cool if it was a Silent Hill remake or something, I also like the idea of it exploring the backstory of characters like Psycho Mantis, Liquid Snake and Sniper Wolf. And Decoy Octopus, what was his deal with the blood draining?

Maybe it'll explain how the bosses in the third game have super powers, since all the other bosses (in the 'present' time) ended up being simply explained by nano-machines.

As for the blood draining, Decoy Octopus would remove his own blood and replace it with that of who he was impersonating, so he would have their DNA assuming he was ever tested. I wish there had been any of him not as the DRAPA Chief though (Fiftten years old spoilers, watch out guyz!)

Reaper195:

James Joseph Emerald:

Maybe it'll explain how the bosses in the third game have super powers, since all the other bosses (in the 'present' time) ended up being simply explained by nano-machines.

Well, Psycho Mantis's powers were never explained either. And Fortune in MGS2 was able to deflect missiles even without the special magnetic device (which, annoyingly, was never referenced again despite its apparent power).
Also, there's precedent for Mantis causing fiery hallucinations.

Also, did I hear the voice of Kiefer Sutherland as the character who helps the protagonist of this short trailer?

God I love this trailer. It looks so cool, and it has a flaming whale that can fly. I can't wait to find out more about the game.

James Joseph Emerald:

Reaper195:

James Joseph Emerald:

Well, Psycho Mantis's powers were never explained either. And Fortune in MGS2 was able to deflect missiles even without the special magnetic device (which, annoyingly, was never referenced again despite its apparent power).
Also, there's precedent for Mantis causing fiery hallucinations.

Whoa...didn't play Twin Snakes, so I missed that. I swear Psycho Mantis was explained at the end of MGS4, but I might be wrong. I also completely forgot about Fortune using her power after it had been 'turned off'. SO I guess maybe there is actual supernatural stuff in the future of MGS. I was really annoyed to find out that Vamp was entirely nano though...although I guess better than an actual vampire.

I can't help but hope that was Liquid we saw- Think about it, he did look slightly blond, had a missing arm, and had that trademark mane.

It's just the wrong damn arm, though. I was really looking forwards to that. Still, I have not been this excited about a game since... Can't even remember. I hope to see more soon.

Was I the only person who noticed that the hospital might be in the U.K because of A) Union Flag on the wall and B) the car in the brief crash scene is right hand drive. The flag was the first thing I noticed. Also that guy defo sounded like Kiefer Sutherland.

James Joseph Emerald:
There's a theory about this that I quite like:

This game depicts the formation of the FOXHOUND unit, and the trailer you see is the part where Big Boss first meets Psycho Mantis.

you sir just made me rethink this whole trailer... thank you

Has to be Liquid, right? Ocelot has Liquid's arm. Except that would have been after the Foxhound unit happened...and Liquid is blonde anyway. But if he's a clone, he had to originally look like Snake/Big Boss, so he presumably bleaches his hair. Hmm.

Alternatively, it looks like it could also be Big Boss, around the time he got preserved by nanomachines, because he's missing an eye, right? Or at least his eye is bandaged.

JimB:

Hideo Kojima, because sanity is boring!

Aurora Firestorm:
Alternatively, it looks like it could also be Big Boss, around the time he got preserved by nanomachines, because he's missing an eye, right? Or at least his eye is bandaged.

What if it's Solidus?

There's a several year gap between him losing Raiden and becoming El Presidente. Or it's Liquid (is that Mantis at the end of the trailer?)... or an entirely new guy.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here