Movie Trailers: Man of Steel - Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Man of Steel - Trailer

Superman comes back to us, but this time in slow motion.

Watch Video

It looks like it is going a be a beautifully shot movie.

A trailer without drums? We truly are living in the future!
Definately going to go see this when it comes out.

Why is this so dark? I know they are trying their damndest not to just redo the old movies, but a good chunk of what makes Superman work is that he's not another Batman. This should be a bit less serious, a bit more lighthearted.

P.S. Thanks

Holy shit this looks good. Looks like General Zod is gonna have a bigger role to play than he did in the original Superman movie too, in that he isn't just standing around until he's sucked into the Phantom Zone.

Sorry, but I don't believe this Man can fly.

Which is a shame, Superman deserves to have a good movie at last. The originals REALLY don't hold up IMO.

Covarr:
Why is this so dark? I know they are trying their damndest not to just redo the old movies, but a good chunk of what makes Superman work is that he's not another Batman. This should be a bit less serious, a bit more lighthearted.

Do you remember Superman Returns? That's (kind of) why...

The problem is that Superman, for much of his existence, was not a particularly deep character. He could be summed up as " a brave and kind-hearted hero with a strong sense of justice, morality and righteousness" with a particular focus on the ideal American small town personality that originated from a Smallville myth. He was, for the most part, the ultimate 20th century embodiment of simple goodness and justice.

The problem is that Smallville doesn't exist any more. The Rural/Small Town, USA has on the decline for decades and the ugly grey realities of the 21st century don't mesh well with the idealized fake black and white nostalgia of the mid-twentieth century.

When they first announced the Man of Steel movie, I made a point that Superman cannot fight the same way he fought in the past. Brute force can stop a bank robbery, but how do you stop a company who is destroying the economy in a way perfectly within the law? Heat vision can stop a missile, but how can it stop a political system willing to fire it? Superman was the embodiment of a Cold War might-in-the-pursuit-of-Justice mentality that just doesn't make any sense today.

-----

More interesting, I feel we're going to get something very new in this: an origin story. Fundamentally, we've gotten a lot of stories of where he came from (sent from Krypton, raised in rural Kansas, moved to Metropolis and became a reporter as a mask for his crime-fighting), but never really a true motivation for why he does what he does other than "he's a good man," and that doesn't make much sense when he could have been a lawyer in the tradition of Lincoln, or a doctor in search of impossible cures, or a nuclear physicist searching for a peaceful solution to atomic power? What was the catalyst for him turning to superheroism? It looks like we're going to finally going to get that answered.

"Superman Begins", hell, he even returns to his hometown with a full beard after roaming the world. Next thing we know Morgan Freeman is going to make his suit for him.

And you know, I don't mind serious movies. I love the scenes in the trailer with his parents. It's refreshing for a father mentor to, instead of being supportive and giving him the "great responsibility" speech, outright forbid him to reveal himself. Even with lives on the line.

It's just..this movie is dark. Too dark. Not dark as in serious, dark as in

really...unlighted. I couldn't even tell what was happening in the fight scenes, even when one of the fighters was wearing bright blue and red tights.

Soods:
A trailer without drums? We truly are living in the future!
Definately going to go see this when it comes out.

This really made me laugh, bravo.

Yes it looks like they're finally giving Superman the credit he deserves, I'm quite excited.

I don't think he would say "maybe" to his "Should I have let him die?" comment. I'm guessing that was Jonathan Kent, in which case that doesn't seem like something he he would ever say. Other then that, I'm looking forward to it.

Color me intrigued. I like the idea of exploring it more than anyone has in the comics. I always thought it a huge misstep to overlook in all the outlandish powers he was given, he still couldn't save his father. Talk about a huge driving force for someone to be personally invested in everything he does. I really hope the movie nails that.

So... er... I can't help but notice big blue leaves contrails as he flies about... now, I'm not expert on the mythos, but I'm pretty sure he's not got a jet engine tucked away somewhere in this costume (well, not literally, I'll leave those interested to ponder what they will)... what's the implication here? Super-BO?

Daverson:
So... er... I can't help but notice big blue leaves contrails as he flies about... now, I'm not expert on the mythos, but I'm pretty sure he's not got a jet engine tucked away somewhere in this costume (well, not literally, I'll leave those interested to ponder what they will)... what's the implication here? Super-BO?

I thought that was implying that he can fly faster than sound and push through the atmosphere.

chozo_hybrid:
I don't think he would say "maybe" to his "Should I have let him die?" comment. I'm guessing that was Jonathan Kent, in which case that doesn't seem like something he he would ever say. Other then that, I'm looking forward to it.

I had no problem with that part. What Clark and Jonathan are going through is completely foreign to them. Jonathan evidently has never dealt with something like this and is uncertain what to do to protect his wife and son. I like that that uncertainty is portrayed, as opposed to him automatically having all the right answers for Clark.

His saying "maybe" seemed to me a very introspective moment, like he was trying to convince himself as well as his son. Definitely looking forward to this.

It looks great visually, but something about it rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's the part about Johnathan Kent telling Clark that he should've let people die rather than expose who he really was.

EDIT: I am assuming that was Johnathan Kent.

Beautiful shots throughout the trailer., really excited about it and hope it can change peoples opinion on Superman as a Character.

This is looking awesome. As a massive fan of comics in general, I thought the last one was really awesome. That said, no one can deny that the Clark Kent portions of the movie really dragged it down. The comics stopped being about the Superman/Clark Kent dichotomy a while ago. It's because people ultimately care about the Superman parts and not so much the "Mild mannered Clark Kent" stuff. This is looking like an awesome movie about Superman, which is what this character needs.

LobsterFeng:

Daverson:

I thought that was implying that he can fly faster than sound and push through the atmosphere.

I'm not talking about the sonic boom thingy (I don't know what the technical term is, so I won't pretend to know) I'm talking about contrails, this things.

I actually just looked it up, and apparently they're caused by water vapour being condensed by the atmospheric pressure generated by lift, and not just by jet engines... so it's super perspiration I guess? I don't know if that's better or worse... I mean, on one hand he doesn't necessarily smell bad, but on the other... well, going to watch a movie about a guy in a skintight suit who wrestles people is one thing, a sweaty guy in a skintight suit who wrestles people, though?

This looks...good. Too good actually. I've got my eyes on you movie _

Looks pretty good. That and the Star Trek sequel make the summer something to look forward to. But it better not turn into another 2012.

Daverson:

I actually just looked it up, and apparently they're caused by water vapour being condensed by the atmospheric pressure generated by lift, and not just by jet engines... so it's super perspiration I guess? I don't know if that's better or worse... I mean, on one hand he doesn't necessarily smell bad, but on the other... well, going to watch a movie about a guy in a skintight suit who wrestles people is one thing, a sweaty guy in a skintight suit who wrestles people, though?

So you've just looked up how contrails are formed, and then leapt wildly onto the idea that is it in fact a completely different thing?

OT: Film looks, as has bee said, like it will be very well shot. didn't know the villain was meant to be Zod though, as I don't remember him having an armada of spaceships.

looks good, and interesting, which would be a first for super man

Loop Stricken:
OT: Film looks, as has bee said, like it will be very well shot. didn't know the villain was meant to be Zod though, as I don't remember him having an armada of spaceships.

I know almost literally nothing about the Superman universe, but I don't think it's much of a stretch considering the guy's named General Zod.

Loop Stricken:

Maybe that was a quick shot of Krypton being destroyed? I'll have to watch it again.

Hammeroj:

Loop Stricken:

I know almost literally nothing about the Superman universe, but I don't think it's much of a stretch considering the guy's named General Zod.

The only thing I know about this film was in this trailer. Maybe I zoned out when the trailer explained it was Zod.

Lunar Templar:

Think you need to check your math on that one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(film)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_II

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman:_The_Animated_Series

bigfatcarp93:

Lunar Templar:

Think you need to check your math on that one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(film)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_II

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman:_The_Animated_Series

i think you need to not assume just cause something was 'good' that it makes it interesting

Goofguy:

chozo_hybrid:

I had no problem with that part. What Clark and Jonathan are going through is completely foreign to them. Jonathan evidently has never dealt with something like this and is uncertain what to do to protect his wife and son. I like that that uncertainty is portrayed, as opposed to him automatically having all the right answers for Clark.

His saying "maybe" seemed to me a very introspective moment, like he was trying to convince himself as well as his son. Definitely looking forward to this.

I guess it just needed a bit more context, didn't think about it that way, but damn is it looking good.

Looks good, and interesting.

Zod should work just fine :)

Looking forward to it, but Amy Adams as Lois Lane?

That dog won't hunt, monsignor.

The Gentleman:

The problem is that Smallville doesn't exist any more. The Rural/Small Town, USA has on the decline for decades and the ugly grey realities of the 21st century don't mesh well with the idealized fake black and white nostalgia of the mid-twentieth century.

On the decline maybe, but is it completely dead yet.
The very same decline could be his entire motivation for going to Metropolis.

Superman is still relevant in this day, the comics and the animated universe have made this very clear, why do you think he still sells.

Superman is supposed to be an shining icon of hope, an icon for the better days, be they of old (Smalville) or of the future (Metropolis), no matter how bleak the world is right now.

The best example, that I can remember, is at the end of "Apokolips now" from the animated series.

And showing that "the good old days" are in decline is a good way to tell people to forget the past and look to the future (And getting some particularly conservative politicians to throw a hissy fit).
Cue act 2 where that forgotten past comes back to bite you (Zod).

ASan83:

I personally think she looks more like a Lana Lang, then again I have no knowledge of the actor, outside enchanted and her IMDB profile.

I just truly hopes that the "Dark and gritty" are used right, as in the start right until he hits Metropolis, the city of tomorrow and maybe in the inevitable first defeat.

Just please don't go Nolan on us

My only concern is the suit. I really would have hoped for a slightly different suit than the one we already know for so long. Where is my shiny beveled S logo and heavy cape?! It's too circusy!!!

Oh and the story is important I guess. . . whatever. . .

Hope they get the original score in there somewhere, Its just too good not to use.

Best part of Superman Returns was the opening credits.

Aside from that i really like what i see. Darkness and all, it seems like Superman becomes Superman in spite of himself.

chiefohara:
Hope they get the original score in there somewhere, Its just too good not to use.

Best part of Superman Returns was the opening credits.

Yeah, it was also the last thing I remember from that utterly forgettable movie. The entire movie felt forced and disparately trying to be as good as the handful of movies that did not age well.

I hope that they put theme in the ending credits because it would probably throw off the tone of the movie significantly if it was any earlier...

Spacefrog:

ASan83:

I personally think she looks more like a Lana Lang, then again I have no knowledge of the actor, outside enchanted and her IMDB profile.

I just truly hopes that the "Dark and gritty" are used right, as in the start right until he hits Metropolis, the city of tomorrow and maybe in the inevitable first defeat.

Just please don't go Nolan on us

That was my exact line of thinking as well. She's a decent actress, so she can pull off the role with her skills, it's the fact that she just doesn't look the part that gets me.

Also agree on the 'dark and gritty'. Superman can do stretches of dark and gritty, but the central theme of the entire mythos throughout various interpretations has been his unflappable hope and belief in the inherent goodness of the people of Earth. He's not Batman, and my greatest fear is that there just going to make him SuperBatman. Still looking forward to this movie (My most anticipated of next year), just hope they do it right.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here