Tips for Surviving Persona 4 The Golden

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Tips for Surviving Persona 4 The Golden

Basic strategies to help you survive the search for a serial killer.

Read Full Article

This particular playthrough I've been focusing intently on getting all the books read at night, and it's made the game much easier. Not only do they increase social stats, but some of them will improve how quickly social stats increase. It's the best investment you can make in the early game to save time later.

I always found trying to clear dungeons on the first day that you are able too a fun challenge... then generally giving the screen a blank look as I realise I've failed for the tenth time trying to beat the annoying sub-boss. In other words generally try to get as far as you can in a dungeon on your first expedition into one. Although be warned, unless you have a certain item you need to use the little floating blue spectral butterfly checkpoints to get out of dodge, I mean, dungeons.

Oh and regularly dump the rubbish that you gather from enemies in the sales bin at the weapon shop, it will unlock new and usually stronger weapons and equipment you can buy for your characters. But make sure you're not dumping any side quest items by mistake or you could be in the annoying situation where you have to revisit old dungeons just to farm for particular items.

TRIAL OF THE DRAGON!

Edit: Also on your first playthrough you don't necessarily have to max your Social Links with everyone but should definitely try to get all your Courage, Understanding, etc. stats up to max by the end as it will speed along Social Links in New Game+. Additionally there is always the chance there may be Social Links you can't get access to due to your stats in the first playthrough that will then open up in the second one. Oh and go for all the Love routes. It ends up with some pretty funny dates and dialogue pieces.

Every time I hear about this game I curse the fact that it is only out for the Vita. I simply can't justify buying a Vita for one game however. Guess I am stuck with the OG PS2 version :(

At least Chie doesn't sound awful in my version :)

Fappy:
Every time I hear about this game I curse the fact that it is only out for the Vita. I simply can't justify buying a Vita for one game however. Guess I am stuck with the OG PS2 version :(

I rationalize that Chie was always supposed to be as over the top and whiny as her new voice actress portrays her. It does kind of fit the dialogue a little better.

OK, here is my tip:
1. Max out Tower social link;
2. Get to level 75;
3. Fuse Yoshitsune with Arms Master skill.
4. ???
5. Profit.

Fappy:

Well, you could make do with the PS2 version.

VMK:
OK, here is my tip:
1. Max out Tower social link;
2. Get to level 75;
3. Fuse Yoshitsune with Arms Master skill.
4. ???
5. Profit.

Yeah, it's ridiculous how powerful Hassou Tobi skill is.

Carrying a persona with an arcana that matches with the social link you're trying to raise is also helpful to get the most affection points.

Fappy:

I never played Persona 4 on PS2, and to be honest, i think Chie's voice in P4G is freaking perfect.

dont do magatsu inaba on the first day though it'll skip q bunch of days if you d

o.

I find the story and characters in these games really interesting and cool, but I hate the grind! It's just the most blatant act of padding I've yet come across. I can't stand it! >.<

RedMagic:
Carrying a persona with an arcana that matches with the social link you're trying to raise is also helpful to get the most affection points.

This is an extremely good tip.

Say you're trying to raise your Social Link rank with Yosuke. Since his arcana is the Magician, your active Persona should also be a Magician. Do this, and your rank will increase faster.

Remember, you can generally only raise one rank a day, so increasing the rate of rank ups, even if it only speeds it up one day, is a massive boost.

IllumInaTIma:

Fappy:

I never played Persona 4 on PS2, and to be honest, i think Chie's voice in P4G is freaking perfect.

They changed the voice actors? That's... odd... I loved the original VAs.

Mcoffey:
I find the story and characters in these games really interesting and cool, but I hate the grind! It's just the most blatant act of padding I've yet come across. I can't stand it! >.<

So long as you don't skip fights in dungeons, and then go back and do the optional dungeons (which you should for the weapons at the end anyway), you should rarely, if ever, need to "grind." You'll end up doing a lot of fighting, yes, but that is a big portion of the game, after all. :)

You can speed that up a bit by letting your squadmates "Act Freely", and/or putting fights on automatic by hitting the triangle button. That's a great way to tear through easier dungeons that you're running through for a second time and don't really need to be overly mindful about watching your health or SP.

Haven't the Skill Cards and changes to Shuffle Time made the whole game incredibly broken combat balance wise? What do you need "survival tips" for?

I finally have a Vita and this is gonna be my very first Persona game, and from the sounds of it, I'm gonna be busy. I'm one of those players that will do everything and will go after every single thing in a game, so my OCD-ness for that will be happy.

PedroSteckecilo:

IllumInaTIma:

Fappy:

They changed the voice actors? That's... odd... I loved the original VAs.

The way I understand it Teddie and Chie's original voice actors didn't return for the new scenes so they had to re-record all of their dialogue with new actors.

Susan Arendt:

Well, you could make do with the PS2 version.

Btw, did the new battle theme get stuck in your head like the original did? That's the only bit from your original review that sticks out in my mind :P

I remember P4 being incredibly easy. Still, tips are always nice.
It's a real shame the game had such an abysmal main plot. Otherwise it would have been amazing, but now it's just great.

Fappy:

Honestly chies new VO is waaaaay better IMO, maybe because I heard the new one first but the old one just sounds wrong. Like they don't fit chie at all, didn't get the sense of energetic personality from the old one that the new one gives off.

First playthrough: Spend a lot of time focusing on maxing all five of your social stats and get as many Personae registered in the Compendium as possible.

Second playthrough: Focus on maxing social links, you should raise one link per day (if available), if it's raining, do an activity that will help you with links (seeing the fox, riding the motorcycle, etc.) Remember some links have deadlines (Jester, Aeon, Empress).

Leemaster777:

RedMagic:

Say you're trying to raise your Social Link rank with Yosuke. Since his arcana is the Magician, your active Persona should also be a Magician. Do this, and your rank will increase faster.

Remember, you can generally only raise one rank a day, so increasing the rate of rank ups, even if it only speeds it up one day, is a massive boost.

When you say 'active' do you mean persona that you're currently equipped?

OuendanCyrus:
First playthrough: Spend a lot of time focusing on maxing all five of your social stats and get as many Personae registered in the Compendium as possible.

Second playthrough: Focus on maxing social links, you should raise one link per day (if available), if it's raining, do an activity that will help you with links (seeing the fox, riding the motorcycle, etc.) Remember some links have deadlines (Jester, Aeon, Empress).

Yep, was gonna say those two things exactly. A few other tips for the uninitiated.

1. Look up how to unlock the fishing activity, because it doesn't do a good job pushing you in the right direction at all. You'll completely miss it unless you know what you're doing.

2. Save. Save Often. Have multiple saves scattered throughout the game, because you can easily miss something. This game doesn't hold your hand, and doesn't auto-save anywhere. It'll ask, but that's about it.

3. Read. The. Exposition. This game has a lot of story and a lot of information it throws at you... and it's all important. Listen to it all at least the first time around, or by the end you'll have no clue what's going on.

4. You will cry. That's normal. Embrace it.

mysecondlife:

Leemaster777:

RedMagic:

Actually, no. It's not that specific... it just has to be one of the persona you're carrying around with you. It doesn't have to be assigned for it to work.

What do you get with 'New Game+' in this version? All items, stats, and social links as they were at the end?

Quiotu:

OuendanCyrus:

Yep, was gonna say those two things exactly. A few other tips for the uninitiated.

1. Look up how to unlock the fishing activity, because it doesn't do a good job pushing you in the right direction at all. You'll completely miss it unless you know what you're doing.

2. Save. Save Often. Have multiple saves scattered throughout the game, because you can easily miss something. This game doesn't hold your hand, and doesn't auto-save anywhere. It'll ask, but that's about it.

3. Read. The. Exposition. This game has a lot of story and a lot of information it throws at you... and it's all important. Listen to it all at least the first time around, or by the end you'll have no clue what's going on.

Great tip on the fishing. I actually had "have multiple saves" on the first draft of this, but figured that was just good gaming advice anyway. :)

Susan Arendt:

Quiotu:

OuendanCyrus:

Great tip on the fishing. I actually had "have multiple saves" on the first draft of this, but figured that was just good gaming advice anyway. :)

Granted us seasoned gamers who've played enough RPGs know how the old school system works, but some of the new blood might not be aware of just how unfair these traditional RPGs can be. Much like the Contrarian King in Persona 4, it's a rite of passage for these types of game. Getting your ass kicked after several hours of grinding and not saving, yelling obscenities at the screen... you are now officially a man/woman. ;)

BTW, Slinky says hi. I'm the guy that showed you the corgi picture during the live podcat of the Escapist Expo, if you remember that. One of the rare times I wasn't lurking.

kiri2tsubasa:
What do you get with 'New Game+' in this version? All items, stats, and social links as they were at the end?

If it's like P4 you get your Persona Database, and you traits(Courage, Understanding etc), and money kept. Everything else resets to basics which is your level, social links, and inventory.

If they changed to back to the way P3 did it, then the only thing that would reset would be your Social Links.

If you get the first group of quests, make sure you finish them before finals, or you're stuck getting the item over and over through summer break.

Reading this makes me really, really want to play the game, any version.

I think my sister has a PS2 around somehwere, and I've friends who own a vita and never use it. Now I just need to get a copy of the game.

Quiotu:

mysecondlife:

Leemaster777:

Actually, no. It's not that specific... it just has to be one of the persona you're carrying around with you. It doesn't have to be assigned for it to work.

Ah thanks. How about the quantity of persona?. For example, would having 2 Magician persona have greater affect with Yosuke?

Does anybody here know if Persona 4 golden has a new difficulty mode, like p3p had maniacs or something like that?

DrunkenMonkey:
Does anybody here know if Persona 4 golden has a new difficulty mode, like p3p had maniacs or something like that?

It has the very hard difficuly

My tips are mainly about preparing your party. This is a game that you NEED to prepare for.

First off, weaknesses and resistances are really important. Not everything has a weakness, though, and many enemies will specifically target your weaknesses. Watch your weaknesses, as they can cripple you. In addition, keep as many different elements on you as possible at all times.

Secondly, learn which party members to use. Learn who works well together and who can be a liability. However, train all of your party members and know when to swap them out for others. Your party may work for a given dungeon's enemies, but it might not work for the boss. Don't be afraid to back off and acknowledge when you're unprepared.

Thirdly, buffs and debuffs, including buff/debuff cancelling skills and Mind/Power Charge, are awesome. They can make or break your boss fights because they actually have a significant effect on your stats.

Fourth, pay attention to your party's skills. Don't bother wasting a skill slot on a skill that you MIGHT use. However, some skills are just... better than others. Learn what works and what doesn't, and don't be afraid to do some research online. Learn what to do to make your party as efficient and as powerful as possible. It's not exactly rocket science; once you have a new party member, look at a skill list online and determine from there what would be best in terms of skills for them.

Fifth, complete dungeons in a single day if possible. Time is a valuable resource, and the only time you should really need to exit the dungeon hub is early on when you don't have an way to restore SP. However, when you can restore SP, don't ever exit the dungeon hub until you have completed what you're there for, which is usually beating a new dungeon.

Captcha: Do you shop at Canadian Tire?
No, I don't. I don't appreciate the ad, Captcha. Also, when I answered "no" it denied me. What the heck.

werewolfsfury:

DrunkenMonkey:

It has the very hard difficuly

Thank you good sir, that just made my day. Here comes some virtual flagellation

Korten12:

Fappy:

Honestly chies new VO is waaaaay better IMO, maybe because I heard the new one first but the old one just sounds wrong. Like they don't fit chie at all, didn't get the sense of energetic personality from the old one that the new one gives off.

I agree with that assessment, to be honest. To me, the new VA sounded more lively, younger, and bubblier, which I felt suited the personality Chie was displaying a lot better than the original VA.

OT: Sound advice, apart from doing the quests (I doubt I actually completed even half of them) I did follow that through my first play-through, despite not really knowing anything about the game beforehand. :D

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here