Let's Watch The Man Of Steel Trailer

Pages PREV 1 2

teebeeohh:

Kwil:

Devin Barker:
movie looks fine, but i just cant seem to give a crap about the villain... am i the only one who is just over Zod stories? i feel like this is a throw away villain... lets have superman fight... evil... superman... again... bleh

What else is he gonna fight then? Remember, Superman in a straight up brawl with Just About Anyone = Known Outcome. That's why Lex was always involved in these massive, grandiose schemes -- so that simply pummeling him wouldn't solve it.

OT: I *like* the bearded look for Supes. Plus it answers one of the questions for me, how does an invulnerable person shave?

superman uses a kryptonian crystal to reflect his heat vision back onto his face, essentially burning the stubble off.
and since he is superman he could probably just shave by pulling the hair from his skin, he should be able to do this.

i just hope we will not see a razor when i looses the beard in the movie(unless it's magic, that could work)

But if his hair can be burned then presumably so can he, yes?

I am just worried that, because it is directed by Zack Snyder, half the movie will be in slow-motion.

I do NOT like Zack Snyder or any of his movies (Watchmen was his best but I only really like the first 15 minutes...then it gets 'meh'). I have to say, the opening fight scene and credits montage in Watchmen was one of the best starts to a movie I have ever seen!

He uses too much slow-mo to the point where it's boring to watch. I have unnecessary slow-motion (see Transformers 2 and 3 for examples of 'unnecessary slow-motion'). Slow-motion is out-dated anyway. It was 'cool' in the Matrix and early 2000's cos it was 'new' but now it's just silly and annoying.

Noelveiga:

I'm pretty sure it's because directors want to be able to do close ups on these things.

Also, heavily textured fabrics are easier to CG match than straight up spandex, believe it or not. The matte, flat surface of a taut fabric, the fact that it wrinkles when it moves... that stuff is like skin, hard to match accurately. These suits look CG in normal photography already, so they work better with the effects.

Well thank you for injecting some much not needed realism into the conversation haha
I still like my reason better

Yeah, like this wasn't predictable. Bob's favoritism is showing. Boring trailer has two interesting scenes, and Bob goes and gets his gasm on for it. Honestly, did anyone not see that coming? If it were most anything else with a trailer like that, Bob wouldn't even bother with a scene-by-scene, it would just be another mediocre trailer. Hell, judging by the similarities between this and the Amazing Spider-Man trailer, he could at least try to hide his blatancy a little bit. Some one get him a wet-wipe, I'm willing to bet he made a mess scouring the trailer 50 times over.

Actual thought about the trailer: "Wow, this looks like The Amazing Spider Man trailer, but with more Zach Snyder." Secondary thought: You know what Marvel has done amazingly so far? No fucking spandex. Everything looks like something people actually wear. That's something they can freely drop from the comics and I wouldn't mind in the slightest. He looks ridiculous. Man with Super-everything is hated by a species that is, in every way, physically and biologically inferior, but tries to save the because he's space-jesus with freeze breath and laser beams in his eyes. Fighting crime and the villains that arise just to fight him make him dangerous. Want superman to be really effective at saving humanity? Have him do this instead. Boring, but fitting a man who is himself a plot device.

I have to admit, I was totally not on board with this movie at all when it was first announced. I've never been a fan of the character and Zack Snyder's involvement and the first teaser image didn't encourage me. That all changed when I saw the first teaser. The cinematography was beautiful and I loved how it reminded me of Kurt Busiek's Superman: Secret Identity (aka The Best Comic of All Time). So I was overjoyed to see that the full trailer keeps the same tone even while introducing the big action scenes and special effects extravaganzas. Superman as he was portrayed in the comics and the previous movies was never interesting to me, but the mythic tone they give him here made me sit up and take notice.

About the "Superman in cuffs" shot- in Secret Identity there's a bit where Superman reluctantly goes to Afghanistan (I think) to help the military attack a Taliban compound. After they win the soldiers want to shoot all of the survivors instead of taking them prisoner but Superman stops them, establishing an uneasy relationship with the military in which he wants to help them protect America but won't tolerate unnecessary violence. The scene always stood out to be because it was published in 2004, when a lot of writers were still foaming at the mouth with post-9/11 self righteousness and portraying American military actions in the middle east as anything other than 100% noble and heroic was pretty rare. The attitude was more "I view the army as an unnecessary evil" rather than "hoo rah Fuck yeah America".

Anyway the reason I'm bringing all this up is because I'm wondering if the bits with the soldiers in this trailer were inspired by Secret Identity and if they were, I hope the movie takes the same attitude rather than descending into hero worship.

Here's the very, very serious trailer for Warner Bros.' new Superman movie

I know Moviebob doesn't respond to comments, but I've seen him make remarks like this before and I'm kind of baffled by it. What is the problem with the movie taking a "serious" tone? What tone should it have instead? Should Superman be cracking jokes in the trailer or something? Why?

If the choice here is between darker movies that take after Nolan's Batman trilogy or relatively lighter superhero movies like The Avengers (and that seems to be how this discussion gets framed) I'll take dark and gritty over Marvel's cinematic candy floss every time. They may not be quote as much fun, but at least I still remember them by the time I get to the cinema parking lot.

Looks good.

I'm betting here and now that Sam Kent dies doing something both foolish and heroic after spending the opening third of the movie telling Clarke not to use his superpowers to do good.

Any takers?

Kwil:

teebeeohh:

Kwil:

What else is he gonna fight then? Remember, Superman in a straight up brawl with Just About Anyone = Known Outcome. That's why Lex was always involved in these massive, grandiose schemes -- so that simply pummeling him wouldn't solve it.

OT: I *like* the bearded look for Supes. Plus it answers one of the questions for me, how does an invulnerable person shave?

superman uses a kryptonian crystal to reflect his heat vision back onto his face, essentially burning the stubble off.
and since he is superman he could probably just shave by pulling the hair from his skin, he should be able to do this.

i just hope we will not see a razor when i looses the beard in the movie(unless it's magic, that could work)

But if his hair can be burned then presumably so can he, yes?

yes but setting your hair on fire is a lot easier than setting your skin on fire.
so his heat vision works on the convenient level just hot enough to burn off his hair but not hot enough to light up his skin.

my first reaction was "ah crap another movie about the worlds most boring super hero"

HENRY CAVILL!!! oh yeah im excited now if anyone can make the character interesting its that guy, hes an incredible actor

superman has got to be the most boring hero there is. for starters he is too good for his own good and comes off and preachy and secondly he is basically invincible apart from the odd chuck of kryptonite or an attack from a fellow kryptonian (although i'm still not sure if one could kill him)

some people are gonna be soo pissed at this film once the whole of the plot becomes common knowledge...

without giving much of anything away there is a plot twist in this movie which will make people look at it in direct comparison with that has come before and rage that they have "done this to Superman"...

"You have to keep this part of yourself secret." "What was I supposed to do, just let them die?" "...Maybe."

You heard it here first: the movie will be based on Superman: True Brit.

What will the neighbours think???

I don't think Henry Cavill is just there for the ladies, I mean whenever I see him I just swoon he is one sexy man.

Also at 1:57 it's someone fishing, could be Supe's could be a random fisherman but yeah someone's tossing a net into water as a firey thing flies across the sky, most likely Superman.

MovieBob:
1:57
I have been back and forth over this frame about thirty times and I cannot tell what is going on here. Superman (maybe?) is tossing some ice around, and maybe there's a flare? I dunno.

To my eyes it looks like a man(possible CK), on a boat, throwing a fishing net. Perhaps Clark went to live in his Ice Palace for a while?

" I kind of wonder what sense it makes? Superman doesn't "gain" his abilities, he has them because physics and physiology differ between Earth and Krypton. Traditionally, he's already "super" as a baby"

That was Pre Crisis.

The new timeline, after Crisis of Infinite Earths, has Clark being raised as a normal boy. Over the years his body absorbed more and more yellow sunlight and his powers began manifesting.

A lot of future stories (Superman 1,000,000 most notably) has him growing in power even further as time passes.

Between the lack of red underwear and the depressing tone of the trailer they really aren't doing a very good job of making me want to see this movie. Instead of feeling like a Superman movie it feels more like what if Batman could fly and had heat vision?

I saw the trailer in 3D at the movie theater so visually it might come off a treat. But if Superman isn't going to be the big blue boyscout then why should bother to watch a Superman film? The only bright side I see to all this is that there should be plenty of DVD and Blu-Ray releases of Superman the Animated Series about the time this movie comes out.

I think the tone of the movie being implied is just fine. Between the Man of Steel trailer and Pacific Rim trailer and all the Marvel movies set for release next year god damn is 2013 gonna be awesome.

Sometimes Richard Schiff looks like someone else, here he just looks like an old Toby Ziegler standing next to Elliot Stabler.

Actually I think Bob's first idea was the best, Atom Egoyan, not Terrence Mallick should make a super-hero film. Maybe he could make a Doom Patrol film? Elias Koteas as Cliff Steele?

I must say I'm coming to greatly enjoy these Let's Watch articles. Good stuff.

bigdork:
Laurence Fishburne (playing Daily Planet editor Perry White, which I'm sure someone is going to find inexplicably infuriating)

That might be me, actually. Not because he's black, just because newspeople shouldn't be so damn cryptic. I don't want to have to swallow a pill to see the news for myself.

I think he'll be okay in the role. Laurence always seems to leave me screaming for more...

"worried about the tone"

Translates in bobspeak as "its not goofy, theres no krypto and they will probably try and take it seriously I want retro kitch superman!"

At least its not being used as a stepping stone for the tired (and totally wrong) opinion that batman was never supposed to be a dark and edgy character.If I wanted the goofy batman I'd dig out my adam west boxsets.

Personlly I think the new superman film is actually looking damnned good.

Zach Snyder isn't the consistently fantastic director that many would want for a project like this, but if he can do one thing right, it's making anything look majestic. And Superman needs majestic.

I'm optimistic.

Welp to counter a very serious movie outlook on a not so serious idea, I present this:

Thank you and have a pleasant day. :)

I must admit I find Superman to be a boring super-hero, while he is admittedly iconic, he is also extremely token. So I came up with an alternate canon to make him more interesting, while it may not take, I will post it on these forums shortly.

But I am intrigued by this movie. It would be nice to have a good modern Superman movie. So I will watch this one, because of interesting alternate takes on things...

Lvl 64 Klutz:
Amy Adams looking like Amy Adams is never, ever a bad thing. Also, I'm pretty sure you were spot on about the reasoning behind costume details being for HD. That, and I think designers feel it looks more "modern" and "flashy" than your typical established costumes.

I think the "ice and flare" scene was someone throwing a fishing net.

Also, I like the textured costumes because spandex always sucked and the 100 layers of laytex are pretty awful. Superman's costume looks like chainmail, which might be one material that could sorta stand up to punishment he might encounter.

Pointless throw away comment. I was watching reruns of Supernatural and when the Young John Winchester hits the screen I can't help but think, this is Superman.

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0018169/mediaindex

Okay, back to the trailer. Umm...it looks like a trailer for a season finale of Smallville. At this point I am about as interested in another Superman reboot as I am in another Duke Nukem game. It isn't even fun to laugh at any more. Just old. And even it being old is old. When is the next Marvel movie coming out...

Pointless throw away comment. I was watching reruns of Supernatural and when the Young John Winchester hits the screen I can't help but think, this is Superman.

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0018169/mediaindex

Okay, back to the trailer. Umm...it looks like a trailer for a season finale of Smallville. At this point I am about as interested in another Superman reboot as I am in another Duke Nukem game. It isn't even fun to laugh at any more. Just old. And even it being old is old. When is the next Marvel movie coming out...

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here