Jimquisition: Jimquisition Awards, Part One

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Azuaron:
Prediction: tomorrow is The Walking Dead, as Molly tended to wear a mask just like that.

Same here. The game deserves it.

Either way it goes, I like the jimqusisition, so this should be entertaining.

BlueKenja:

BahamutWings:
Please, does anyone know the music from the opening montage? i really likes it! (also love ID'ing the FF9 in the background every week :D )

Pretty certain the background music was "Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony" from FF7 this time, weirdly not FF9 Oo

This is true. However it is also played by the Prima Vista band during one of Active Time Events in the Evil Forest.

I am predicting that Journey, The Walking Dead and XCom will all get an award, not sure about the 5th game. And have no idea which will be the Game of the Year.

EDIT: I was shocked - SHOCKED, i tell ya! - to hear Jim being so nice and non-sarcastic.

would the shortening of the award name be the Jimmy?

OT:I may have to look into Dishonored a bit more. I'll probably pick it up at some point in the future when Steam has it on special

Yup. I know what's up tomorrow.

It was a pretty good game. :)

Wish it had one last extra bit at the end, though. The game was the hardest in the middle. Once you cleared the...umm...Well, creepiest place you can imagine, your options got open enough that it became a lot easier.

Loving that Shinra parade march music in the background. Good times.

Why does everyone seem to love Dishonored so much? I played and beat it in one day and was pretty much bored by large sections of the game. I'm not trying to be negative it just really feels like I'm missing something.

Jimothy Sterling:
Jimquisition Awards, Part One

The very first Jimquisition Awards are here! Five days, five games, five awards!

Watch Video

Booo Dishonored terribly overrated game!

LobsterFeng:
Why does everyone seem to love Dishonored so much? I played and beat it in one day and was pretty much bored by large sections of the game. I'm not trying to be negative it just really feels like I'm missing something.

Not the only one

Jimothy Sterling:

gigastar:
Is there going to be an... "awards" series for games that have turned out to be exceptionally shit?

Or has that been left to Yahtzee?

Every year I do a "Top Ten Shittiest Games" rundown. That's coming next week.

Yes, on Christmas Eve.

Yes, I feel slightly guilty.

Well this was unexpected, and rather pleasant. A week long series of Jim praising games instead of verbally eviscerating them? And starting with Dishonored, too. I can't wait for the rest!
Now I have to watch Yahtzee's review again, just to see why he hated it.

I hate being the one to tell you this, but you were wearing the mask upside down...

Still the first episode turned out well and I'm looking forward to seeing Lone Survivor win tomorrow (probably).

Undeadpool:
Oh come ON, Jim, can't we get BEYOND Thunderdome??

An MST3K classic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEI_udV88i4

I would like to see the nominee list for this award. Just how many new IPs were there this year?

I like this idea and can't wait to see the other four episodes this week! The only problem I have...well does anybody else feel a bit intimidated by Jim standing at his pedestal while the Shinra March plays in the background? It's like watching a dictator right before he has risen truly to power.

Azuaron:
Prediction: tomorrow is The Walking Dead, as Molly tended to wear a mask just like that.

i think the same, but then it would be a really loose clue

I love this episode because of the use of " Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony" from final fantasy VII

I'm very glad to see how far the jimquisition has come. It's now easily one of the best shows on the escapist, maybe one of the best on the internet right now.

Dishonored is a worthy first choice, Jim. People fail to look past Dishonored's length and miss out on a second play through that can be a completely different experience from the first. Hopefully a few more people will get interested in it after seeing you give it one of the five awards! I'd love to see a new IP sell as well as it deserves.

I like this idea of spreading out the awards to an episode a day, seeing as how it gives you plenty of time to talk about the games in your videos. I hope fan and developer reaction sync up so that we can have this again next year!

I think Dishonoured deserves recognition now so that Bethesda realises they should take the franchise universe and run with it for a few more games. Steampunk, mystical, dirty Victorianesque universe? Has not been a good one of those since Thief and even then it was pre-Victorian. Anything to encourage the exploration of such an original setting is good in my books.

Though I do hope the next game isn't so binary with its ending. There is apparently a magical number of homicides that separates the good ending from the bad ending, and that seems downright arbitrary. Not to mention one of the non-lethal methods of dispatching a target is far more horrible than just outright killing them - you essentially ship one of the 3 sisters off to "Rape Island". She might have preferred a braining with a punch ladle, all things considered.

Even if I only dispatched the most corrupt and evil foes in a violent manner I would still have a high chaos score and thus get the 'bad' ending and that seemed like weak storytelling.

BlueKenja:

BahamutWings:
Please, does anyone know the music from the opening montage? i really likes it! (also love ID'ing the FF9 in the background every week :D )

Pretty certain the background music was "Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony" from FF7 this time, weirdly not FF9 Oo

Actually, it's the version found IN Final Fantasy IX! It's the "Millennium" version played by Tantalus' band near the start of the game.

This message brought to you by The Finding Clever Workarounds So The End Credits Don't Have To Be Altered Foundation.

TheSteeleStrap:

Knusper:
He didn't say 'Thank God for me' at the end O.O

Yeah, I can't feel like my week can go on as normal without that.

You're gonna have to wait until Friday.

OH THE SUSPENSE!

You should get someone to touch up the color in your videos.

Nice! I love Dishonored, it is my personal GOTY 2012. Very pleased to see it win a Jimmies from you, Jim! I like having my opinion of something validated by smart, famous people. :D

Edit: Curses, my FF music knowledge has failed me

Though I need to go back and check FFIX then. Because that is decidedly the Rufus welcoming ceremony in FFVII as well.

Dishonered... Bleh.

It was a pretty big disappointment for me. It was a cool setting that the devs did absolutely nothing with. Swap out the steam punk asthetic for modern day or fantasy and there'd be no difference. It didn't help that pretty much every actor except Susan Sarandon and Chloe Moritz phoned it in. The entire thing felt lifeless and dull. I still haven't finished my first playthrough, don't know when I will. I just feel no motivation to go back.

I was really hoping it could reach Deus Ex's lofty heights but it barely made it to Invisible War levels. Oh well. At least there's some new blood out there that isn't another brown and gray corridor shooter.

JarinArenos:
Edit: Curses, my FF music knowledge has failed me

Though I need to go back and check FFIX then. Because that is decidedly the Rufus welcoming ceremony in FFVII as well.

It is. In fact, I think FFIX even still lists it as "Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony" in the official soundtrack. The version in FFIX is included as a callback to VII, and you can actually miss it if you don't talk to the Prime Vista band after the crash into the woods.

I think, anyway. Forgive my memory, it's been a while.

Was anyone else spoiled by the video description? Just below the video it says Dishonored. Or do I have latent psychic abilities?

Jimothy Sterling:

gigastar:
Is there going to be an... "awards" series for games that have turned out to be exceptionally shit?

Or has that been left to Yahtzee?

Every year I do a "Top Ten Shittiest Games" rundown. That's coming next week.

Yes, on Christmas Eve.

Yes, I feel slightly guilty.

One thing I'd like to tell ya about the awards so far is that I like the new background you put up. It's not all that fancy, but I still like it when people give attention to the smaller details of things.

Side note: For the top ten worst games,

May I ask what was the song during the montage? Would really like to know,thank you! :)

Great one so far Jim,can't wait for part 2!

DarkhoIlow:
May I ask what was the song during the montage? Would really like to know,thank you! :)

Great one so far Jim,can't wait for part 2!

It tells you what the song is after the credits. I forgot what it was called though.

Attercap:

Undeadpool:
Oh come ON, Jim, can't we get BEYOND Thunderdome??

An MST3K classic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEI_udV88i4

Always nice to meet a fellow MiSTie.

So Jim's first "Outstanding game of 2012" is also the first game in my bottom 5 of 2012...
Spectacular...

I'll go out on a limb and guess that Mass Effect 3 and Black Ops 2 are going to be on the list as well.
Those are just guesses though

and tomorrow... The Walking Dead... maybe... The surgical mask was prominently featured in Episode 4.

Considering my taste in games probably the only game I've played that may end up on this list will be The Walking Dead.

At the risk of drawing everyone else's Ire...Dishonoured was one of the worst choices you could have picked, Jim. It's a bland, cookie-cutter game made solely because DX:HR sold well. It uses a good chunk of the same gameplay from that game too, with the lethal and non lethal routes, while also coming off as a pretty badly done Theif. Even more confusingly, it can't decide which it wants to be. The gameplay was so bad, I couldn't finish it in one sitting.

Also...not sure if Dubstep or Drum & Bass used in the opening there.

I'm surprised so many people didn't get the clue, or maybe I did a facepalm at their lack of knowledge. It's obviously Lone Survivor.

Let's give Spec Ops The Line some love, especially for its progressive IN-GAME storytelling and critique of modern military or just violent games in general.

Interesting. Now I wish I actually had the money to try that one.

InaquiTheArgentinian:

Azuaron:

i think the same, but then it would be a really loose clue

If we're sticking to loose clues it could be borderlands 2. Doctor Zed wears the mask too.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here