Jimquisition: Jimquisition Awards, Part Two

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Jimquisition Awards, Part Two

The very first Jimquisition Awards are here! Five days, five games, five awards!

Watch Video

AWWW i wanted the walking dead... ho well still 2 oportunities, why 2 because the next Jimquisition award goes to The journy.

So Journey tomorrow then. Love the awards Jim!

InaquiTheArgentinian:
AWWW i wanted the walking dead... ho well still 2 oportunities, why 2 because the next Jimquisition award goes to The journy.

It's coming. He pretty much confirmed it weeks ago, said it might even be his GOTY.

sindremaster:

InaquiTheArgentinian:

It's coming. He pretty much confirmed it weeks ago, said it might even be his GOTY.

well thats actually really good, but you know the journy its a guess (although im almost completly shure it will be)

InaquiTheArgentinian:

sindremaster:

InaquiTheArgentinian:

well thats actually really good, but you know the journy its a guess (although im almost completly shure it will be)

I was actually 100% sure it was Fez till you reminded me of Journey.

It's Journey.

What a fashionable scarf, I wonder what it means?

Naww! I was hoping Journey would win overall game of the year... I suppose it't not big enough... still pretty good...
I'm guessing that the walking dead will be the winner.. a shame... the game seems awfully overrated to me.

But Jim, you charismatic stallion, how can 2D, retro graphics be immersive? I cannot possibly enjoy games unless they are First Person, played at 60 FPS with the latest video card!

Shinsei-J:
What a fashionable scarf, I wonder what it means?

At a guess, I'd say he's a Time Lord.

The first time i played Lone Survivor, i thought the guy was smiling really hard.

So the white thing on the main character's face is a surgical mask! Every time I saw clips of this game I always thought he just had a huge toothy grin.

I'm actually surprised I didn't hear more about this game. Looks pretty good.

Delcast:
Naww! I was hoping Journey would win overall game of the year... I suppose it't not big enough... still pretty good...
I'm guessing that the walking dead will be the winner.. a shame... the game seems awfully overrated to me.

Have you played the last episode yet?

Scariest part of that game was the main characters smile. How creepy looking is that?

I guess I should play journey at some point. Wonder if I can get it off steam.

I'm guessing the horror is exasperated by the fact that your character constantly has this creepy Joker-like grin on his face.

canadamus_prime:
I'm guessing the horror is exasperated by the fact that your character constantly has this creepy Joker-like grin on his face.

Not a grin. It's a "doctor mask" or whatever the name is.
Jim had one on yesterday at the end of the show.

However, to be fair I thought it was a smile too.

I haven't heard a lot about this game, and I love me some good survival horror. Gonna have to check this one out.

And whoooo, Journey!

InaquiTheArgentinian:

Yeah I thought he was referencing Molly of episode 4 of The Walking Dead game with the mask yesterday but tomorrows so clear to anyone's who's played it that words aren't needed to convey it. [/chirp]

Imp Emissary:

canadamus_prime:

Really? Oh sorry, my mistake. Too bad, it would've been better if it was a grin esp. with the whole horror/sanity thing.

Zachary Amaranth:
But Jim, you charismatic stallion, how can 2D, retro graphics be immersive? I cannot possibly enjoy games unless they are First Person, played at 60 FPS with the latest video card!

If you are playing any game with the latest video card at 60 fps, you are probably doing something wrong. : p

canadamus_prime:

Imp Emissary:

canadamus_prime:

Really? Oh sorry, my mistake. Too bad, it would've been better if it was a grin esp. with the whole horror/sanity thing.

xD Who says he isn't grinning under the mask?

Answer: Whoever does the psych check at the end of the game....

Jim, I am so - so happy you chose this as one of your big 5. This game is art. Without a doubt my GoTY, and it's an indie game no less!

Imp Emissary:

canadamus_prime:

Imp Emissary:

xD Who says he isn't grinning under the mask?

Answer: Whoever does the psych check at the end of the game....

Touche
Still it would've been so much creeper if you were running around as this guy with a big Joker-like grin on his face instead of a mask.

Never heard of Lone Survivor before, but your recommendation totally sold me on this one. Thank you.

Also, the music playing from 1:37 mark passes all of the charts of awesome. Is it from LS as well? And more importantly - what's the name of this brilliant piece of music?

EDIT: Nevermind about the name. Quick YT search was enough: Jasper Byrne - Survival.

This is in my Steam wish list. I must look into it one of these days.

Yossarian1507:
Never heard of Lone Survivor before, but your recommendation totally sold me on this one. Thank you.

Also, the music playing from 1:37 mark passes all of the charts of awesome. Is it from LS as well? And more importantly - what's the name of this brilliant piece of music?

EDIT: Nevermind about the name. Quick YT search was enough: Jasper Byrne - Survival.

Yep! The soundtrack to the game is absolutely brilliant. Byrne's just an overall tremendous talent.

I was hoping Jim would sprinkle in some commentary over the course of these videos about his thoughts on gaming awards and there effect/place in the industry. Oh well, at least there's five of these this week.

I "accidentally" picked up Lone Survivor in a Humble Bundle and played it for about an hour. I was bored, the writing just seemed like pretentious rambling and it hindered any connection I might have to the main character, and nothing in the game scared me or even made me tense.

It's a shame; I tend to like things where the focus is on one guy who's slowly going insane, but Lone Survivor just didn't do it for me.

Hmm... Suspense is ruined by the fact that the game title (and developer, publisher, and whatnot) is right in the video description box. =(

InaquiTheArgentinian:
AWWW i wanted the walking dead...

It's not Friday yet. You have to be patient. ;)

Tell me where you got the Journey scarf and no one gets hurt.

Is the main character of that game wearing a mask, or does he just have a very big goofy grin? Anyway I'll have to put this game on my list of games I should get someday so thanks for giving it recognition Jim.

Xai:
The first time i played Lone Survivor, i thought the guy was smiling really hard.

He isn't!?!
Game: Ruined.

I wholeheartedly agree with this choice, and it's refreshing to see an indie title receive even a semi-GOTY. I got it in a humble bundle, figuring I'd give it a shot, and I was very pleasantly surprised. Visuals, music, dialog, combat, it all works together towards a focused goal in a way games rarely achieve. I also kept wondering while I was playing, about why exactly we need hyper tessellation DirectX 11 graphics when I was fully immersed in what could have been a SNES engine. Developers need to focus on the basics and good stuff first, for sure.

Oh, and survival horror is definitely not dead. There's the indie titles, but I swear that ZombiU is legit. An unnerving, tension filled ride through London that raised the stakes with every level. Play it in the dark, turn up the gamepad speaker. Not dead at all.

i didn't really like Lone Survivor at all... felt like a Silent Hill clone.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here