AJAB

Pages PREV 1 2

All true. Watching those media vultures circle and stalk family members is disgusting.

Real journalism these days has more to do with blogs and obscurity than anything on TV.

I have to agree with you Grey, the only report I've seen that was not centered around the killer was my local news station talking about two of the victims

This one was very good. Very insightful.

Fappy:
I wish the fake Morgan Freeman quote that's been circulating Facebook was legit. In any case we haven't learned a damn thing since Columbine. The media is making all of the same errors all over again.

I honestly don't give a flying shit if Morgan Freeman wrote that or not. It's still a valid point and it should be a wakeup call to this fucking predatory 24 hour news media we've got in this country that they're doing more to cause these shootings than a lack of severe gun control or regulation on violent video games. Which is another thing these old ass out of touch pricks in congress are trying to drag into the forefront yet again for another turn at the lash.

I will agree however that we do need to take a damn good look at the mental health system in this country, something is really fucked up when someone points out that a person has problems and all the mentally ill person has to do is say "Oh, I'm just fine!" and they let it go at that.

That one Charlie Booker video that keeps getting spread around makes some good points as well, it would be awesome if every person who agrees with could once a day e-mail the link to it to every anchor at CNN, MSNBC, Fox News and maybe regular NBC, ABC and CBS news people until they get the goddamn message.

I'm anxious to hear from Link on the matter.

I haven't followed every angle on every story on what happened in Newtown, but I think the media are trying to portray the gunman as a monster, what with how much they psychoanalyzed him, and they're f&^%ing up. They could be now making a hero out of him to other psychos. Wouldn't it stand to reason he was inspired by that nut who shot up the movie theater in Colorado?
And if they're doing it just for attention, they failed; I'm not going to even try to remember their names, because monsters like that don't deserve a place in history.

The news will stop feeding on people's misery when there audiences realize they are doing it, call them out on it, and stop consuming media that does that. In other words: never. People aren't wired that way and the news reflects that. Also, there are a few very sad little people who have made comments on this thread... you have my pity.

dharmaBum0:

He says 'yeaugh, yeaugh, aiyeah! *grunt*'

The whole affair was handled in the media with a distinct lack of tact. The worst part about it is that people use it as a springboard to one agenda or another, "This wouldn't happen if we had tighter gun controls", "We can only blame backwards republican policy" - people are grieving, yes there are systemic factors, but the best thing to do is give those affected the time and space to come to terms with it, which they can't do when you're using their child as a martyr, or showing them day in day out on the news what they see in their nightmares already.

maninahat:

Fappy:
I wish the fake Morgan Freeman quote that's been circulating Facebook was legit. In any case we haven't learned a damn thing since Columbine. The media is making all of the same errors all over again.

Well, the point is legit, and similar words have been said by various experts or commentators. But I guess if Morgan "God Almighty Himself" Freeman said it, it might actually get the point across to people.

Then again - let's not just blame the media: blame the consumers of the media. News outlets basically have to do whatever sells, and if people continue to consume kill counts and lurid cross-examinations of serial killers, then journalists are only going to continue to feed that demand.

Rule one of any kind of widespread media;
People are stupid.
There will always be a rich and powerful media outlet appealing to the lowest common denominator.
It's what brings in the bucks.

dharmaBum0:

HEUAGH! HIYA! HEEYAAH!
-Link, 2012

There you have it folks.

Dear me, those journalists sure look like the stuff of nightmares!

It's about time America realize they should do something about gun control. As an Italian, we joke a lot about how America is the "country of cowboys" where everyone has guns the same way you'd have a wrist watch.

Chrono212:

Or in other words, an outlet without an axe to grind.

I don't think that means as much as you think it means.

Even MSNBC, the supposed liberal bastion of the news, ran with a lot of stories against their own proclaimed interest. Shirley Sherrod and the ACORN scandal, for example, both cases where anyone reviewing the actual footage could have seen that it was crap.

While they may have their own agendas, few actually act in that interest above all else.

There is a larger problem out there.

rhodo:
Dear me, those journalists sure look like the stuff of nightmares!

It's about time America realize they should do something about gun control. As an Italian, we joke a lot about how America is the "country of cowboys" where everyone has guns the same way you'd have a wrist watch.

That's a joke? I thought it was the truth.

More or less. I don't own a gun. That's why people assume I'm Canadian.

I prefer to get my news from the internet.
At least slightly less biased (depending on source), I don't get as many ads, I don't have to listen to people tell me how tragic it is all day, the list of positives goes on.

olza:

dharmaBum0:

HEUAGH! HIYA! HEEYAAH!
-Link, 2012

There you have it folks.

you wanna hear from toon link, he can actually talk

The last panel is actually quite powerful. Well done.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here