Reel Physics: The A-Team - Tank Flying

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

DigitalSushi:

Scarim Coral:
Ok I bite-

While you did explain that it would be possible in real life but another question is, can you do all of that without having the crew unscratch (as in no injury/ broken bones)?
Ok maybe they were strap in during the plunge into the water but they were facing down toward it or better yet wouldn't Face recieve the most injuried? I mean he was knock back when that plane exploded?

Racing drivers especially in top tier racing such as Formula 1 often suffer much higher G-forces sustained over the course of a race (90 minutes), but racing cars are designed with a safety cell and the drivers were seat belts and other safety devices, tanks aren't built around safety (quite the opposite actually) so I assume they would be bouncing around in the compartment.

I'm fairly certain tanks are built around safety and resisting high velocity impacts, like you know... getting hit by another tank firing upon you...

I could be horribly wrong but I do think the reason they built tanks out of extremely thick armor is for keeping it operational in extremely dangerous situations or, as you could call it, keeping the important bits (like the crew) safe.

We could test it out, launch both a Formula 1 and a Tank at equal velocities at a mountain or something and see which one deals better with the G-forces involved. You can test the Formula 1, I'll be sitting in the tank if you don't mind.

SCIENCE! Cool! I thought that scene looked silly in the trailers... but maybe I should see the A-team movie, now. I think I could get to like this series, especially if you stick to analyzing situations that are remotely plausible.

To compare, I've read a few cases of stuff like "How can the Death Star blow up a planet?", and they all end up with stuff like "Step 1: Acquire more energy than humanity will ever have access to on Earth." Which is quite boring to read after the first time I read it. Stick with scenes reasonably grounded in reality and this could turn out both educational AND fun!

Some Advice:
I think the background music may need to be turned down a bit in the future. There were a few parts where I found the swelling trumpets (At least I think they were trumpets?) coincided with the speech, making it harder to hear what was being said.

Awesome, keep this series going!

This has to be one of the few internet series debuts I've seen that's gotten mostly positive feedbacks. Got to agree with them, though. Great new series! I was very surprised with the results.

Well. My Tuesday is made. Good job guys. Look forward to the next one.

Actually, could you work out if Mass Effect could work?

Yay physics!

I'm less shocked that this scene was realistic and more shocked that that wasn't entirely by accident.

Really enjoyed this. Maybe you could get a column with the escapist to write about any follow-up issues that result from these comments. Some people have mentioned hitting the lake bed and the shoot sideways to steer part. How far would they travel per shot? How much of an effect does shooting the water to reduce impact help?

Loved it. Science, maths and military hardware. More of this please.

Only criticisms would be the slightly wooden banter and the fact that I had to pause the video to take a look at the formula (I didn't understand them, I just wanted to look and ponder them but the fast talking made it hard to concentrate). The sound quality could have been a touch better too.

Hardly deal breakers. :)

Regarding the tank hitting the water - if the speed at which the tank was falling was akin to driving down the street I should hardly think the impact with the water would cause any damage at all. After all, those things can smash through concrete walls like paper and keep functioning just fine... if anything the biggest miracle is perhaps that it didn't flip over and land upside down on the bottom of the lake.

This is what I'm talking about! I love Mythbusters except, I don't have cable... now I can get my does weekly!

OT that was fairly awesome. Science!

call it not "physics", instead use the word "logic" it'll open up more chance to talk beyond physics, science is lot more than physics. you can even talk about the makeshift bombs in movies/games and talk about how "reel" they are, and that's not physics, it's more chemistry. and I hope you can do as far as "ork- logic" or something... ;) happy to see new interesting programs here!~

Very enjoyable show. Keep it up guys! /thumbsup

o.o?

*watches video*

:D

Mythebusters, but movies only? I can dig it. I shall see you gentlemen here again next week

Oooh! New series and it's SCIENCE!
I love it already!

I was actually contemplating the engine thing with my friend after we saw this movie. He knows a lot more about tanks than me, and came to the same conclusion as you guys. Hybrid tank. Hahah XD

Is this series going to deal just with movies, or are games, tv shows and books also considered?

The quote I'm taking away from this is "tanks are heavy".

I'll be keeping an eye on this series, as much as it made my head hurt.

That was awesome! I'm going to link it to my friend.

Hagi:

DigitalSushi:

Scarim Coral:
Ok I bite-

While you did explain that it would be possible in real life but another question is, can you do all of that without having the crew unscratch (as in no injury/ broken bones)?
Ok maybe they were strap in during the plunge into the water but they were facing down toward it or better yet wouldn't Face recieve the most injuried? I mean he was knock back when that plane exploded?

Racing drivers especially in top tier racing such as Formula 1 often suffer much higher G-forces sustained over the course of a race (90 minutes), but racing cars are designed with a safety cell and the drivers were seat belts and other safety devices, tanks aren't built around safety (quite the opposite actually) so I assume they would be bouncing around in the compartment.

I'm fairly certain tanks are built around safety and resisting high velocity impacts, like you know... getting hit by another tank firing upon you...

I could be horribly wrong but I do think the reason they built tanks out of extremely thick armor is for keeping it operational in extremely dangerous situations or, as you could call it, keeping the important bits (like the crew) safe.

We could test it out, launch both a Formula 1 and a Tank at equal velocities at a mountain or something and see which one deals better with the G-forces involved. You can test the Formula 1, I'll be sitting in the tank if you don't mind.

That's fine with me dude, Heikki Kovalainen a Formula 1 driver survived a crash which the sensors recorded at 26g, then he was back racing at the next round 2 weeks later.

By safety what I mean is safety belts and and HANS device, which I don't think tanks have, so plummeting to Earth at 3 g while you could survive, I'm just saying you smacking your face against a monitor at 3 times the force of gravity would smart somewhat.

Im loving it. Looking forward to more!

I liked that. You only need to fire bob and the escapist might become the ultimate nerd site.

Smart and very nice. Would watch again.

Loethlin:
Oooh! New series and it's SCIENCE!
I love it already!

I was actually contemplating the engine thing with my friend after we saw this movie. He knows a lot more about tanks than me, and came to the same conclusion as you guys. Hybrid tank. Hahah XD

Is this series going to deal just with movies, or are games, tv shows and books also considered?

Books, probably not, simply because it's easier to explain the scenario in question if you can see it. Other than that, anything's possible!

Interesting stuff I must say. The presentation though.....hard to put my finger on it, but it's not great in my opinion. Too giggly at their own jokes for one, makes it sound arrogant.

Look forward to seeing their progression.

Hmm, is that potential I see? I think it is. *cracks open a beer and hands it to the show creators* There's a few things I reckon they should iron out, but this seems like a solid show.

Nice. Please update this to the "Weekly Video Schedule" ASAP.

To science!!!! More please.

DigitalSushi:

Hagi:

DigitalSushi:

That's fine with me dude, Heikki Kovalainen a Formula 1 driver survived a crash which the sensors recorded at 26g, then he was back racing at the next round 2 weeks later.

By safety what I mean is safety belts and and HANS device, which I don't think tanks have, so plummeting to Earth at 3 g while you could survive, I'm just saying you smacking your face against a monitor at 3 times the force of gravity would smart somewhat.

A HANS device isn't part of a vehicle... you could wear one on a tricycle if you wanted...

Much the same goes for safety belts, they can be installed in any vehicle you want. There's no magic at work that prevents them from being installed in a tank, they most like already are in modern tanks.

The only difference is that the tank is surrounded by armor capable of withstanding artillery shells whilst the Formula 1 is surrounded by materials chosen purely for their light weight.

Details you glossed over:
How well could they direct themselves with the cannon? You covered the numbers on the cannon when you talked about their attempt to use it as an air-brake, but not for steering.
How waterproof is the inside of the tank?
How jacked up would the people inside the tank be? (Granted we don't know how deep the lake is, so that's completely variable.

A little bit physics can be really fun.

Hmm science is boring you said well then lets have some fun whilst doing real science!

Minor things, is it really a "tank" because it doesn't seem to be an MBT at least a heavy armored personal carrier (with a huge gun)/combat vehicle would be fine though...
And it is not a huge difference between falling and flying but flying is usually just falling with style so I guess flying might be Ok here, but for fun you could always count a bit on how much of the drag is induced and whats zero drag plus wouldn't their hight also influencing their speed (maybe not for when they hit the lake but during "flight") and humidity would definitely do some to their speed...

Oh and by the way something that people called flying that was not particularly awesome at the "flying" part were the space shuttles they were more like falling because they have a glide ratio on about 1:4 (1m down 4m forward) average airliner is more 20+ whilst some extreme gliders has like 50... So would that "tank" have a better glide ratio you think... (oh and even funnier humans is optimal ~1:1, without wingsuit)

geier:
Great new show, i like it.

Question:
Wouldn't the tank be damaged when hitting the water ?
Especially the barrel ?

If the barrel would sustain the impact? well that would depend on angle and so on... plus durability of the material and how heavy usage it had seen since it would wear down the thickness, plus it would probably take a lot of different calculations to get it really right, like how much water gets in to the pipe and where the "point of most probable breakage...
The "tank" would probably manage the hit just test to drop about 3 times it's weight on the front and you'll see (not perfect but good enough for me...) or start counting speed*weight and viscosity of the water and start diving... :)

BehattedWanderer:
Okay, but how about the helicopter flip?

Heli flips are technically possible (and done in some air-shows) but not recommended due to several factors like you stress the blades in really "odd" ways that they are not engineered for and that it would be a good idea of stopping them entirely whilst upside down since they pull you towards the ground not needed though since it takes to long to restart them...
It's usually done by really great pro pilots.
If you ever want to try don't even start thinking about it under FL100...

However looping in normal aircrafts are simple and fun (and gives you some nice g's to brag about) and inversed loops are even better but for the adventurous I recommend full tail-spin, witch is my personal favorite, at least when it's controlled...

Ps. I'm the guy sitting screaming woho!!! during "rough" flights :) and captcha is wrong I do not "shop at canadian tiers..." I answered "no" and was somehow wrong... :)

ReelPhysics:
The A-Team - Tank Flying

See if you can actually fly through the friendly skies with a tank.

Watch Video

I love this and want there to be more of it.

Hagi:
The only difference is that the tank is surrounded by armor capable of withstanding artillery shells whilst the Formula 1 is surrounded by materials chosen purely for their light weight.

Actualy, this is a light tank armored with an aluminium hull, much like the Sheridans used in Vietnam. You know, the ones that popped from a single landmine or decades old RPG. The one we see here is strapped with some applique armor, but ultimately this kind of tank also has about the same armor protection as a Prius.
I wager a direct hit from an artillery shell would kill it, but 3g even this tank should survive. Neat how the film makers actualy went through the trouble to find a plausible scenario!

Nother thing you considered, would the tank hit the bottom of the lake on its wheels, on upside down? Because who knows, maybe tanks behave like dropped toast! Allways lands upside down...

Nother edit: You used numbers from the 120mm rheinmetall gun, this is a 105mm gun.

Wait, american army don't airdrop fully armed vehicles?
Interesting...

XDravond:

Minor things, is it really a "tank" because it doesn't seem to be an MBT at least a heavy armored personal carrier (with a huge gun)/combat vehicle would be fine though...

The M8 Buford was a light tank designed to replace the M551 Sheridian for an air-drop capable tank. Its armor is thus extremely lightweight, to the point that just about any really heavy explosive could punch through (Grenades/Grenade Launchers=No, Artillery, Rockets, tank rounds=yes). However, it did have a pretty good size gun so I could, in theory, take on a tank if they got the jump on it.

OT: I like this. I like this alot. I will definatly be watching it again.

teebeeohh:

rhizhim:
these series.....
i look forward to see a lot more in the future.

but please include the sources where you found the raw data so we can calculate and properly discuss.

i second this
and really good first episode but isn't next week Christmas? will there be an episode? will it be tree-related?

i think it might be gun related....

I like it when people do fun stuff with science and actually include the hard stuff. Not that I understood a lot of it, it was still fun. I look forward to seeing more :)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here