Reel Physics: The A-Team - Tank Flying

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Hey everyone, Jason Dean here! Thanks so much for the great feedback on our first episode. We plan on having a very open line of communication with everyone. We really like discussing the funny and interesting things we discover in going through the research for each episode. We also are extremely interested in what scenes and what movies you guys are interested in seeing next! Thanks again for the fantastic feedback so far. I will try to answer everyone individually as quickly as I can.

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

teebeeohh:

rhizhim:
these series.....
i look forward to see a lot more in the future.

but please include the sources where you found the raw data so we can calculate and properly discuss.

i second this
and really good first episode but isn't next week Christmas? will there be an episode? will it be tree-related?

and i think i will rewatch it now and pause for every calculation.

captcha: more better
yes, i agree

There will be a new episode next week, and one on New Year's Day, too! No trees, though. Or reindeer. :)

Susan Arendt:
Books, probably not, simply because it's easier to explain the scenario in question if you can see it. Other than that, anything's possible!

Ah, that's cool. Really can't argue with this. Only way to do that would have to be someone willing to do a huge job and animate it, but I don't see that happening.

Can't wait to see the next week's episode.

Looks to be a great series, can't wait for more!

Anakinnnn:
Hey everyone, Jason Dean here! Thanks so much for the great feedback on our first episode. We plan on having a very open line of communication with everyone. We really like discussing the funny and interesting things we discover in going through the research for each episode. We also are extremely interested in what scenes and what movies you guys are interested in seeing next! Thanks again for the fantastic feedback so far. I will try to answer everyone individually as quickly as I can.

Oh hey, I reckon you could look at some of the Batman films, I would be very interested in finding out if even one facet of the science in those movies was real.

...Well that was fun. Is this the first episode? Either way, I'm looking forward to some way even crazier episodes.

rhizhim:
these series.....

but please include the sources where you found the raw data so we can calculate and properly discuss.

Thanks very much for the feedback and for watching our debut episode. We plan on having a companion column at some point where we can post research links and more detailed forumlas later on. Unfortunately, in video it's difficult in the time frame we are allowed to show everything. If the show becomes popular enough, then the column will become a reality where you can go and discuss things with us in far more detail. If you want to know something specific, I can tell you where that might have come from, but for now there's no easy way for us to disseminate that information.

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

umbraticus:
sooo... just mythbusters but on the escapist and without bad acting?

I love this. HA! Especially the "without bad acting" part.
Thanks for being so kind.

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Arfonious:
The talking felt a bit awkward but I'll ignore that as it was the first episode.

In general I think the idea of this show is great as long as you know you maths, as you seem to do. Furthermore I am delighted to see that you are using the SI-system (metric I believe you call it).

Keep it up and I will be looking forward to more.

Physics is generally taught in metric in the U.S., especially at college level. Among other things, it makes the math much more convenient. Furthermore, I believe the military went metric years ago.

By the way, good first episode. I think this will fit in well here on the Escapist.

Mr. Omega:
Well that was fun. A good first episode. And I still need to see the A-Team...

Watch it!! It's a VERY fun movie!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Scarim Coral:
Ok I bite-

While you did explain that it would be possible in real life but another question is, can you do all of that without having the crew unscratch (as in no injury/ broken bones)?
Ok maybe they were strap in during the plunge into the water but they were facing down toward it or better yet wouldn't Face recieve the most injuried? I mean he was knock back when that plane exploded?

Well, due to time constraints, there's no way for us to cover every detail. Plus, in your question, it's difficult to predict injuries. If you look at vehicle accidents, deaths can occur at 10mph collisions... and yet some people survive being thrown from a vehicle at 90 miles per hour and get up and start running away from cops. You just never know how the human body will contort and flex to avoid injury. That's not really something that math can accomodate for. Maybe we can get into Chaos Theory later and help answer your question. Haha!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Shinsei-J:
Pretty cool.
I'll be awaiting your return next week.

Thanks very much for your great feedback!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Susan Arendt:

teebeeohh:

rhizhim:
these series.....

i second this
and really good first episode but isn't next week Christmas? will there be an episode? will it be tree-related?

yes, i agree

There will be a new episode next week, and one on New Year's Day, too! No trees, though. Or reindeer. :)

Indeed there will be! Next week's episode will be ready for everyone to watch right after you open your presents and spend time your families. I really like the next episode a lot so it's a treat for me to see your comments afterwards!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Shinsei-J:
Pretty cool.
I'll be awaiting your return next week.

Thanks very much!! We will be here with a new episode Christmas Day! We hope you can spend a bit of time with us!
Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Random Argument Man:
GACK! PHYSICS AND MATH! My one weakness!

This looks like an interesting series. The filmbuff in me is thrilled.

Don't worry if the math and physics is a bit much... the end result is what really matters and the journey to get there is fun even if you aren't a math-y kind of person! We love movies first and that's what really counts!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Slycne:

Scarim Coral:
Ok I bite-

While you did explain that it would be possible in real life but another question is, can you do all of that without having the crew unscratch (as in no injury/ broken bones)?
Ok maybe they were strap in during the plunge into the water but they were facing down toward it or better yet wouldn't Face recieve the most injuried? I mean he was knock back when that plane exploded?

Your average modern roller coaster will exceed 3g. There are a few other variables like the direction of the force, but yeah the impact with the water is survivable.

Indeed. What he said. We basically skipped that because it was already survivable... and didn't bother with calculating things out to make it "more survivable." ;)

Elijah Newton:
This rocks. Looking forward to more.

Thanks for your great feedback!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

RTR:
SCIENCE!!

INDEED!!!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Chrono212:
Yay! Maths and physics that doesn't involve a test at the end!

Also funny that it turns out there's a lot of thought put into the scene.

We were surprised as much as you are! We had no idea they really thought things out a bit... I mean, who in Hollywood actually does that????? LOL
Thanks for watching!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Aconite333:
Hell yeah, MATH!

Derivatives, holla!

Thanks for watching!

AlwaysPractical:
I'm actually interested in seeing this go on. The banter is a bit plastic, as usual, but it's a very interesting series. You did good, escapist.

Thanks very much for your great feedback. Our on-camera presence might be a bit plastic at the moment, and I apologize for the awkwardness... but it's early. We should be a bit more comfortable later on. Stay on us about that though so we know how we come across. We are both kind of dorky in real life but try not to be so much here. Sorry about that. We both work in a robotics company filled with eggheads like us and love this kind of stuff. Once we gain a bit of traction, that "forced" feeling will subside... I hope.
Thanks again for the great feedback!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

geier:
Great new show, i like it.

Question:
Wouldn't the tank be damaged when hitting the water ?
Especially the barrel ?

Actually not really, the speed at which the tank hit the water is only around 30mph... and the surface area of the tank barrel is small enough to have almost no blunt force against it to speak of. It will nearly cut into the water like a knife at that speed. The impact of the rest of the tank hitting the water is still minimal enough to not affect the armored integrity of the frame of the tank.

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Irridium:
Neat new series, looking forward to more episodes.

Random Argument Man:
GACK! PHYSICS AND MATH! My one weakness!

This looks like an interesting series. The filmbuff in me is thrilled.

Wouldn't that be two weaknesses? Oh, right, math is one of your weaknesses :P

Thanks very much for your positive feedback! We really appeciate it!

Love your reply comment here too... lol

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

el_kabong:
Cool beans. Also science. I look forward to more.

Thanks very much for your feedback! We had a blast making it and can't wait to share more with you guys.

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Matthewmagic:
I look forward too seeing what you guys do in the future, welcome to the escapist. If you ever make me do homework, I will find you, and I will kill you.

No homework for the audience.... YET. Haha, you never know though! Maybe we will get you guys involved in other ways! Thanks so much for watching, we really do appreciate it.
I hope you stick with us! It should be a fun show!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Proverbial Jon:
My brain just suffered a severe trauma from trying to comprehend the maths and physics in this video! However such a vegetative state is fair trade for such an entertaining new series. I'll be keeping my eye on this.

Thanks very much for your feedback! These comments really made my day!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Simon Leonhart:
I think this show will be a great compliment to the other series on The Escapist. It'll be interesting to see how the showrunners develop it and try to alter and improve the format in the coming weeks.

It's certainly a work in progress. I am always open to criticism and constructive feedback. If you have suggestions to improve the show within my capability, I will do what I can.
This is a premiere episode and I am sure the show will evolve as we get more accustomed to the format.
Thanks for your feedback.

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Anakinnnn:

Chrono212:
Yay! Maths and physics that doesn't involve a test at the end!

Also funny that it turns out there's a lot of thought put into the scene.

We were surprised as much as you are! We had no idea they really thought things out a bit... I mean, who in Hollywood actually does that????? LOL
Thanks for watching!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Some people just have too much time on their hands. ;)

Thanks for doing the research and maths! Looking forward to the next episode.

monev44:
I like this. My one remark on this episode would be. Yes they can survive the impact with the water, but what about the impact with the bottom of the lake? how deep would the water have to be for them to slow down enough so they don't impact the lake bed with more then a survivable G-force?

I'd also like to see them do Iron Man. Tony Stark would have died so many times do to burning, organ liquefaction several times in the first half hour.

I will defer to Colby to do the fluid dynamics calculations on how deep the lake would need to be. I think we did some preliminary math involving that but cut it from the episode because there were not enough details available... like the salinity of the water, the temperature, the lake depth, the topography of the bottom of the lake... heck, THE LAKE THEY WERE TRYING TO HIT!!?? We don't know any of that so we would just have to guess a bit and I believe we came to the conclusion that generally any lake of that size would be deep enough for them to have slowed down substantially before hitting the bottom. I will let Colby shed some more light on that.

As for Iron Man, it will be difficult to do any superhero stuff because... superhero. But we will see what happens if enough people ask. ;)

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Anakinnnn:

rhizhim:
these series.....

Thanks very much for the feedback and for watching our debut episode. We plan on having a companion column at some point where we can post research links and more detailed forumlas later on. Unfortunately, in video it's difficult in the time frame we are allowed to show everything. If the show becomes popular enough, then the column will become a reality where you can go and discuss things with us in far more detail. If you want to know something specific, I can tell you where that might have come from, but for now there's no easy way for us to disseminate that information.

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

a companion colum or a forum group is a good idea.

i really hope you also examine and discuss game cutscenes and are generally open for suggestions.

even when movies will keep you busy with their "over the top" scenes to analyse.

well, not all of them:

Warning! might reduce Brain mass extensively....

Arfonious:
The talking felt a bit awkward but I'll ignore that as it was the first episode.

In general I think the idea of this show is great as long as you know you maths, as you seem to do. Furthermore I am delighted to see that you are using the SI-system (metric I believe you call it).

Keep it up and I will be looking forward to more.

Yea, sorry. The first few episodes will be a bit rough with us on camera... but we are getting used to. Remember, you're being entertained by an mechanical engineer and an I.T. guy. How less awkward do you think we're gonna get? LOL
We are working on it, I promise. Keep us in line though in the comments until we are tolerably awkward. :)

We are math and physics nuts, there's no doubt, but I am sure we will be prone to a mistake or two down the line though hopefully they will be few and far between. Also, even though we're both American, we will probably bounce around between Metric and Imperial unfortunately... though we ourselves prefer Metric.

Thanks for watching!
Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Zombie_Moogle:
I too look forward to seeing more of this series :)

Thanks very much for the great feedback!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

teebeeohh:

rhizhim:
these series.....

i second this

yes, i agree

Indeed, next week will be a Christmas Day episode and the following week, a New Year's Day episode. I hope you guys will find a few moments of your holiday to spend with us!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Ronack:
Yeh, sounds aboot right. *COUGH*

Yea, we feel the same way....

Colby: Does that make sense to you?
Jason: Sure, sounds good to me. Think the audience will go for it?
Colby: Naw, no one wants to watch this crap.
Jason: Well, let's continue with the show anyways and see what happens. :)

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

JarinArenos:
I wanted to see them calculate the "steering" portion when they were firing sideways to position themselves over the lake. Sounds like the gun recoil wouldn't have done much. Especially with the parachute swing factored in.

I talked about that a bit elsewhere in this thread. We did some calculations on that and just had to cut some of the info to get the episode down to a manageable timeframe.

Basically, they would have been able to make the distance they needed to although each time they fired, that tank would have been swinging like a pendulum from that parachute each time they fired.

Thanks for watching!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook