To the Shooters I Treated Badly

Pages 1 2 NEXT

To the Shooters I Treated Badly

Yahtzee wonders if he would enjoy Far Cry 3 as much as he did if this year's crop of shooters weren't so linear.

Read Full Article

It's just nice to see a hero who has to fundamentally change themselves to succeed, rather than the protagonist just being this smug immovable object smacking the status quo back into line.

That's the thing though. He shouldn't have succeeded. There was no way he was going to succeed. But add a magic tattoo and suddenly he's Rambo. His attitude was certainly different, but I don't know if I appreciate it more than the stone faced norm.

Ditto on the wingsuit, it's the only reason I'm playing the game a 2nd time right afterwards. To rush the story up to wingsuit then glide around the island aimlessly.

Bulletstorm is awesome. It's colorful, has rather enjoyable lead characters, and it's a sci-fi setting which is getting rare for shooters nowadays. I replay it regularly, though the combo kills do give me some heartburn. I'd really just rather shoot stuff as I see fit, and if it's accidentally awesome then all the better. Having to f9/f5 repeatedly in one of 3 unique locations I can get a skillshot in the game is rough.

Totally agree.
The only thing about FC 3 that sucks imho is the quicktime event BS that passes for Bosses.
While it's nice to nail the person who causes you grief with a big knife in the chest, it's ten times nicer to actually let ME do it, instead of just giving me the honor to mash the spacebar into oblivion.

Yahtzee calls that "the game being afraid that you'd cramp it's style" in his DMC 4 review and it's one of my top grievances with recent games. You notice it even more in FC 3, because it has so much freedom in all the other places.

If I recall correctly Resident Evil 4 had lots of QTE's, but in the end it was always YOU capping Midget Napoleon in the face in combat with that sweet, sweet high powered revolver.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Bulletstorm manages to do the gross spectacle thing while also having consistency, focus, pacing, coherent progression, and the ability to nail people to walls.

The most glorious thing about Bulletstorm was how many ways there were to smoothly chain spectacular violence together. For me the actual game was just training for the score levels, where you really get to see just how creative and skilled you are and it's nonstop carnage. I think the story and dialogue distracted from just how well put together the game mechanics was -It was what The Club should have been.

I'm kinda wondering if, in the future, the Call of Duty series along with other MMS'es of the same caliber will be seen as the "Daikatana" of this generation (what with them slightly lowering the bar of FPS'es and making other games that were previously regarded as below average look good in hindsight).

Heh, and to think that some people from last week thought that you'd failed to acknowledge the existence of the wing-suit in the game, kinda seems like they have to eat their own words now.

Kenjitsuka:
Totally agree.
The only thing about FC 3 that sucks imho is the quicktime event BS that passes for Bosses.
While it's nice to nail the person who causes you grief with a big knife in the chest, it's ten times nicer to actually let ME do it, instead of just giving me the honor to mash the spacebar into oblivion.

Yahtzee calls that "the game being afraid that you'd cramp it's style" in his DMC 4 review and it's one of my top grievances with recent games. You notice it even more in FC 3, because it has so much freedom in all the other places.

If I recall correctly Resident Evil 4 had lots of QTE's, but in the end it was always YOU capping Midget Napoleon in the face in combat with that sweet, sweet high powered revolver.

I never really understood this complaint about QTEs. How is hitting a boss with the same three-hit combo fifty times that you've used twelve-hundred times in the past or emptying five clips into a person instead of the usual half more satisfying than, say, tackling the guy off a balcony, punching him in the face repeatedly while sliding down part of the roof, then steal his knife and ram it into his throat while you're in free-fall (as a random example)?

QTEs were probably the best thing to happen to boss fights since ever.

Kopikatsu:

Kenjitsuka:
Totally agree.

I never really understood this complaint about QTEs. How is hitting a boss with the same three-hit combo fifty times that you've used twelve-hundred times in the past or emptying five clips into a person instead of the usual half more satisfying than, say, tackling the guy off a balcony, punching him in the face repeatedly while sliding down part of the roof, then steal his knife and ram it into his throat while you're in free-fall (as a random example)?

The problem is they require no real skill, as yahtzee puts it a boss should be an exam on everything we have learned up to that point and there is so much satisfaction in using your skill at the game to defeat an enemy who is more powerful in every way than you than there is in just hammering some buttons while the character has all the fun.

I don't understand all the emphasis Yatzhee puts in "character arc" in Far Cry 3. It makes me think he was playing a different game. To me, the character arc was incredible. The main character goes from a smug, shitty tourist to being able to stab people in the eye with a machete from 50 yards in the spam of 1 hour. In the opening he is barely able to run in the jungle and gets freaked out by everything, and 10 minutes later he is able to kill (and skin) a tiger using a bow?

Say what you will about the carrier soldier trope, but at least it makes sense for someone like him to be able to handle a AK47 effortlessly. Brody goes from white boy to ultimate badass in a few hours and no one bats an eye at it. I was expecting some Matrix-like revelation some time along the way.

The whole "arc" reminded me of Prince of Persia 2008, which had the problem that, since the stages could be completed in any order, it looked like the couple dinamic was all over the place, and it only made sense if played like a linear game.

I've been experiencing this with Devil May Cry 2 lately. Maybe it's because I've matured, maybe it's because I haven't played it in so long, maybe it's because it's the ONLY ONE on the HD collection that doesn't have fucking audio sync issues but I'm really enjoying myself with it at the moment, much more than I thought I would.

Kopikatsu:

Kenjitsuka:
Totally agree.

It'd be like asking why people play Tetris when it's the same thing hundreds of times over, or why people care about Mario despite the fact that it's just running and jumping, or Megaman when it's running, jumping, and shooting in one fixed direction in front of you.

Which is to say it's unrelated and related at the same time.

I believe the QTEs are more of a break in EXPECTATIONS where one learns to do all sorts of things to progress, and then, in the face of ultimate adversity, you're treated to a series of clips of detached action, in what feels like a cutscene in which instead of mashing a button to progress dialogue, you're doing it to make the animations get over and done with.

QTEs can be used correctly, mind you, if you can draw the player far in enough to become invested in the action. For example, at the end of LoZ spirit tracks, the end of each stage of the boss fight is a QTE. However, there's enough tension in the situation that you don't really see it that way because it's just a result of the previous action (beating the crap out of the boss) and an extension of the boss' determination to resist your efforts that it requires sheer willpower to push him back to the edge.

However, if you just stick it in without any sense of timing or buildup, then you leave everybody feeling like they did at the end of ME3. (which is not to say same situation, but same feeling)

The same can be said of jump scares and plot twists: when you overuse and underutilize, you get an unappetizing paste of schlock.

I don't know, dude. I played Wolfenstein and it was taters. Some bloke once said something about a cigar being just a cigar sometimes; a shit game is a shit game even if it's a different kind of shit to what we're currently covered in.

The story in Far Cry 3, and therefore the emotional bond with it, is objectively better than a generic shooter's in both content and delivery. Also you could defeat your enemies by literally releasing the tigers. That counts for a lot.

Bulletstorm gets no such pass from me. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's not shit. Different shit is still shit, it just maybe smells differently or is a big green instead of brown. But again, still shit. Making your boring military main character swear a whole bunch doesn't make him any less obnoxious than all the other boring military characters like Mason the old and Mason the new. He's just obnoxious while swearing a lot. Swap Grayson from Bulletstorm with Admiral Cocksucker from Black Ops 2 and you wouldn't really notice any difference beyond the fact that the hands holding your gun have suddenly turned from white to black, because both are complete tools who think swearing counts as characterization.

And the gameplay. Oh look you made up a bunch of special ways to kill people for bonus points. Okay, too bad that it's useless because you threw in crap regenerating health, so after I take a few shots I have to promptly abandon doing anything cool and find some cover to snuggle with until the jam disappears from my screen (or the color comes back. can't remember which shit cliche Bulletstorm went with on this one). So you just end up shooting everyone at range with the assault rifle or pulling them close with the whip and shotgunning them because it's the only way to not get killed. As boring as shooting everyone with regular guns is in Call of Battlefield: Warfighter, at least those games aren't constantly teasing you with a gameplay mechanic you can't use like Bulletstorm is.

And most importantly, Bulletstorm is still shit because I played it on PC and it's probably the worst PC port in the universe. When I can't even fully map my controls and am stuck having reload and interact on the same key because they're the same button on the console controller and when I have to download a special INI editing program to edit the encrypted INI files just to turn off mouse acceleration, you have fucking failed. Your game is terrible just on that alone. And at launch you had to set up your graphic card drivers to run the game at certain resolutions or the frame rate would be in the toilet (they did patch this later but it never should have existed in the first place).

I can't comment about FC3 since I haven't played them but I loved FC1 and Crysis when they came out, the same way as I loved the linear games Doom 3 and CODMW1 when they came out at about the same time.

However, the spankgeewoowoos or whatever you call this stuff, has gone WAAAY downhill since CODMW1. Blops was kinda OK IMHO but otherwise it's all shit.

Is FC3 worse than Crysis or FC1? That's a question.

And yep I totally loved Wolfenstein. They just don't make games like that anymore. I want a shooter which kinda acts serious but is over the top at the same time. If you also have magic or demon nazis, even better. Rage had some of the same elements, but I really can't think of anything else in the past 10 years or so. You only get either totally seriously serious, while inherently completely stupid (like COD, GOW etc.) or something that tries to be very funny but is still inherently serious and stupid (like any shoot'em'up after SSTSE).

I want something inbetween already! Is there anything?

xptn40S:
I'm kinda wondering if, in the future, the Call of Duty series along with other MMS'es of the same caliber will be seen as the "Daikatana" of this generation (what with them slightly lowering the bar of FPS'es and making other games that were previously regarded as below average look good in hindsight).

Doubtful, since... that's not really what people remember Daikatana as. It's infamous as a development-hell, over-budget monster with terrible marketing that helped sink a promising young development studio. Aside from the massive budget, that's kind of the opposite of Call of Duty. It didn't make other contemporary FPS look better by comparison because Deus Ex, Thief 2, Quake 3, etc. were legitimately awesome all on their own.

Did anyone else think of his Halo 3 review? It sounds like Black Ops 2/MW3/AC3/a few others are what it took to make him finally lower his standards. I'm not sure what to make of that, but there you go.

The Crotch:

xptn40S:

Doubtful, since... that's not really what people remember Daikatana as. It's infamous as a development-hell, over-budget monster with terrible marketing that helped sink a promising young development studio. Aside from the massive budget, that's kind of the opposite of Call of Duty. It didn't make other contemporary FPS look better by comparison because Deus Ex, Thief 2, Quake 3, etc. were legitimately awesome all on their own.

Hmm, yeah I guess.
I don't really know why I thought of Daikatana, I guess I was just thinking of how it lowered the bar of what could have been considered acceptable back in the "golden age of PC-gaming" and my mind just drew a parallel with how the MMS'es of today have made Yahtzee more or less lower his standards.

I'd love to see another quality WWII shooter, haven't had one in a while amidst the sea of "gritty" modern shooters.

Something like MoH:Frontline, with an epic soundtrack and great story...and historical places!

Man, i'm gonna have to whip out the PS2 and play that badboy again!

anthony87:
I've been experiencing this with Devil May Cry 2 lately. Maybe it's because I've matured, maybe it's because I haven't played it in so long, maybe it's because it's the ONLY ONE on the HD collection that doesn't have fucking audio sync issues but I'm really enjoying myself with it at the moment, much more than I thought I would.

To be fair, Devil May Cry 2 is a lot more technically sound than Devil May Cry was, you never see anybody bitching about the actual game-play from it. Or at least, I don't.

But then, I'm still always surprised that people think Capcom actually was writing a good story with the DMC series. An interesting story, sure, but it was never a well-told or well-written story.

OT: I got a little lost while playing Bioshock today. It was pretty neat.

I don't mind the linearity of games like Bulletstorm, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer the semi-open levels from Dishonored, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and to a lesser extent, Crysis 2.

xptn40S:

The Crotch:

xptn40S:

Hmm, yeah I guess.
I don't really know why I thought of Daikatana, I guess I was just thinking of how it lowered the bar of what could have been considered acceptable back in the "golden age of PC-gaming" and my mind just drew a parallel with how the MMS'es of today have made Yahtzee more or less lower his standards.

Daikatana is more like Duke Nukem Forever than anything else from my understanding.

-------

And OT, I liked Bulletstorm. Intend to play through it again at some point. I like how they integrated QTEs in the thing, they didn't take control away from you to look at stuff but instead you could choose to look or not look and get points.

Well that answers the one main question I had about FC3- whether after however many games, the hang gliders can now finally ride thermals to stay aloft or not. Guess that answer is still no.

Yahtzee Croshaw:

Far Cry 3 does have its fair share of those [linear checkpoint] missions but also has quite a few others (especially the enemy outposts) that let you scout ahead, plan your approach and use whatever tactics you want.

It also did some interesting things with characters, particularly the main character who had a very clear arc and progression as the story went on. He wasn't just some career soldier who stone-facedly does what he gotta do all the time and he didn't have the backing of all the American military and their technology. It's just nice to see a hero who has to fundamentally change themselves to succeed, rather than the protagonist just being this smug immovable object smacking the status quo back into line.

And the story is presented well, too, it's got great moments, twists and turns, and it keeps the pace up.

...while I slightly miss World War 2 as a realistic shooter setting, I miss fantasy World War 2 even more.

Well then you may as well go and give The Saboteur a reprieve while you're at it- your description of FC3 above fits Saboteur to an absolute T- and while it's not an FPS, it is the ultimate fantasy WW2 sandbox experience, starring a bloke who isn't some highly trained killing machine/assassin (which is why he doesn't climb as well as Ezio- pretty obvious really).

Also I really hope you got a chance to play Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction; unlike it's botched sequel, it pulled off that 'scout ahead, plan your approach and use whatever tactics you want' masterfully- better than any sandbox before or since. I'm sure there's some let's plays floating around out there.

Ah the mystical magic of perspective.

edit.. I fail at reading.. :) never mind.

gyroscopeboy:
I'd love to see another quality WWII shooter, haven't had one in a while amidst the sea of "gritty" modern shooters.

Something like MoH:Frontline, with an epic soundtrack and great story...and historical places!

Man, i'm gonna have to whip out the PS2 and play that badboy again!

You got some good taste. My favorite missions from the first game are tied between infiltrating that power plant in Norway where the nazis were making material for their atomic bomb and breaking into the V2 rocket plant to blow the whole damn thing up, with a V2 rocket.

And can somebody get on that bin Laden/Midgard Serpent game? Oh hell, I think that will be on Kickstarter soon enough.

Use the wingsuit to get access to a vantage point and snipe everyone in the enemy outpost silently....never done it in any other game..this game is awesome

I'm getting the feeling that Far Cry 3 is a very polished Mercenaries 2.

Not complaining, I like Mercs 2, specially in co-op. We need more co-op games where you can support your partner by firing missiles from a helicopter into fuel tanks that blow up bringing down entire buildings, while said partner, a Norse Guy (voice in Spain by the same voice actor than Homer Simpson), rides around in a tank-thread motorcycle (Aptly named Panzercycle) armed with miniguns, spewing one liners all the way.

So yeah, saturation of the style that is "in" right now is helping realize how many cool ideas were left behind.

I love Far Cry 3, it's a fantastic game and a great example of how games don't have to be linear in order to be enjoyable or well presented.

In defense of more linear games, though, I'll point out that the campaign in Transformers: Fall of Cybertron benefits from it's more focused, linear game play and story. The lack of co-op made it a lot better, though it still would have been great to play with a friend.

hermes200:
I don't understand all the emphasis Yatzhee puts in "character arc" in Far Cry 3. It makes me think he was playing a different game. To me, the character arc was incredible. The main character goes from a smug, shitty tourist to being able to stab people in the eye with a machete from 50 yards in the spam of 1 hour. In the opening he is barely able to run in the jungle and gets freaked out by everything, and 10 minutes later he is able to kill (and skin) a tiger using a bow?

Actually, there's a bit of a logical progression from douchebro to death machine. Take for example, the takedown skills. Before you can purchase the skills, you have to perform a set number of takedowns, melee kills, or extremely situational kills. In other words, you have to practice in order to get better. Then there are the more ridiculous skills, which you can only get after reaching a particular checkpoint in the main quests. So the game doesn't just hand you everything from the get go.

Sure, you can try killing a tiger with a bow in under an hour, but without the proper attachments (which need money, which you get from killing) or skills (which requires main quest progress, also more killing), then you'll have to be really good, because that tiger can close the distance before you can nock another arrow.

That's just game mechanics; story-wise, there's his harrowing first kill, the mumbo-jumbo tattoo mysticism (which is apparently functional magic in the FC3 universe), and the copious amounts of drugs Jason takes. All of that lead to his desensitization to death and destruction, such that he's actually whooping it up by the time he's rescued Liza, while she's the one freaking out.

Spot on to all of that. FC3 is the game I have enjoyed most in 2012 which is kind of sad given how many potentially great titles have hit the market and turned out to be um.... spunkgargleweewee...(eeww)

The wing suit! Oh man the wing suit. I LOVE that thing. I did a jump from a comms tower nd managed to fly NOE for ages, everytime I thought I would have to pop the chute I managed to squeeze between a hill nd a tree or something and just keepon flying. Its a heck of a lot of fun and would maes some great videos if you chse the right spots.

FC3 GOTY for me

I have mixed feelings about Far Cry 3. It's certainly a good game but I can't shake the feeling that it could have broken through barriers that have existed in this genre, and in video games in general for the past decade, if it had just followed through.

Yahtzee is correct, the story and the main character are very much the antithesis of modern shooters.

My question then is this:

"If this story and these characters are the antithesis of the modern shooter why am I still shooting grenades out of a speeding Jeep being driven by an npc?"

"Why must I 'mash spacebar' to shimmy across a burning floor?"

"Why am I still opening doors and being knocked unconscious in a cinematic and then taken prisoner AGAIN by the main villain so I can watch him be crazy for another two minutes?"

If this game is supposed to be the antithesis of the modern shooter why is it relying on every cliché in the Call of Duty playbook to move us through the main story arc?

This is why I say it didn't follow through. It breaks with the conventions of what makes a compelling story in a first person shooter. This game demonstrates the ability to engage the audience in a much deeper emotional intrigue than most games allow themselves to attempt. The scenes in this game where the main character interacts with his friends are rather well done. They feel naturally intimate and they lack the artificial urgency of many other games because this game allows the characters to have serious weakness instead of having them be a 10 kill a day marine who shrugs off literally everything. The flashbacks provide a haunting contrast and they actually allow them to have a dramatic pause and silence afterwards to allow them to have their proper weight.

This game has a conspicuous lack of gameplay analogues to match the bold story and depth of the characters, as a consequence I can't help but feel that the greatness of the game is being painfully restrained behind quicktime events and vehicle sections. It embraced the fact that it was doing something relatively new and unique within the genre but didn't make the players involvement within that story matter any more than it did in Call of Duty.

Far Cry 3 went somewhere that first person shooters didn't have the courage to go previously, but it didn't take us with it, it left us in the back of the truck mashing spacebar to blow up Nazis in Kübelwagens.

hermes200:

Say what you will about the carrier soldier trope, but at least it makes sense for someone like him to be able to handle a AK47 effortlessly. Brody goes from white boy to ultimate badass in a few hours and no one bats an eye at it. I was expecting some Matrix-like revelation some time along the way.

Agreed and agreed. There was a lot of room with the super generic story and Alice quotes to make this something akin to Silent Hill or (so I've heard) Spec Ops the Line.

Bertylicious:
The story in Far Cry 3, and therefore the emotional bond with it, is objectively better than a generic shooter's in both content and delivery. Also you could defeat your enemies by literally releasing the tigers. That counts for a lot.

I can't speak for 'generic shooters', having not played any of the military multiplayers, but the story was garbage imo. My only emotional bond was to hope Vaas or Buck succeeded in horribly maiming or selling them all into slavery. Or learning that perhaps Vaas and Brody were the same person (see above).

mjc0961:
And the gameplay. Oh look you made up a bunch of special ways to kill people for bonus points. Okay, too bad that it's useless because you threw in crap regenerating health, so after I take a few shots I have to promptly abandon doing anything cool and find some cover to snuggle

This is one of those few games I'd recommend turning down the difficulty for enjoyment. I don't think I ever set it harder than medium, and in reading your comment I wonder if I'd have an even better time set at Easy.

Sgt. Sykes:

Is FC3 worse than Crysis or FC1? That's a question.

People are different, but FC1 is my favorite linear shooter, Crysis[1] probably 2nd favorite, and I find FC3 mediocre. The open world waters it down. Just my opinion.

romxxii:
snip

Yes it can be argued that there's some progression, but it kind of goes out the window when he's still saying 'eww gross' while skinning animals at the very end of the game, or switches from howling about how great a flamethrower is or howling in ecstacy to hyperventilating at the prospect of

romxxii:
Such that he's actually whooping it up by the time he's rescued Liza, while she's the one freaking out.

Should he really be whooping it up? Should his character progression really go from whooping before taking shots and skydiving out of an airplane to whooping after clumsily rescuing Liza and killing four dozen people? If that's his character progression then he goes from being an upper class white bro to an upper class white murderous sociopath...bro. Shouldn't he be so alienated that he develops a 1000 yard stare and loses the ability to meaningfully communicate properly with others, thus fulfilling the ironic twist that he becomes a monster to save what he loves?

Do4600:

But that's exactly what happens! The whole point of that scene was that he's starting to creepily enjoy the whole murderous hero routine. He starts alienating his friends, and is by rights near the end, a monster that Western bro-douche society can't -- or shouldn't -- accept.

The British bastard convinced me to buy Spec Ops: The Line, I had no regrets there. I'm looking forward to getting Far Cry 3 (next month)

romxxii:

Do4600:

But that's exactly what happens! The whole point of that scene was that he's starting to creepily enjoy the whole murderous hero routine. He starts alienating his friends, and is by rights near the end, a monster that Western bro-douche society can't -- or shouldn't -- accept.

Heh, some poeple might get angry and call that a spoiler. I call that the type of story I'd like to experience in a game :) Reminds me of a book called "Devils in Exile" about a soldier that comes to the US from Iraq and lives a shitty life, until a mysterious Golf War veteran convinces him to join him and his group in a questionable vigilante operation to bring down the local drug lords, by stating that "society doesn't accept the soldiers when they come back, they want them tamed because on the battlefield they were akin to kings, and society just can't have that". Great book.

Fuck yeah Bulletstorm, one of the most criminally over-looked and under-appreciated shooters of this generation imo. Their is zero reason anyone can't play that game now. It's on steam for $15 atm, well worth every cent.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here