Escape to the Movies: Zero Dark Thirty

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Pacific Rim does indeed look fricken great ;)

When a version of this movie is released with the entire soundtrack replaced by the soundtrack to 'Team America, World Police', then I'll watch it.

I'm relieved to hear about the film's objectivity.

I must admit when I heard of "Film about the Take-Down of Bin Laden" I had flashbacks to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGdu6XEiZmc

So yes. I am so glad that the film is intelligent and doesn't do the America Fuck Yeah attitude.

I'm really looking forward to Pacific Rim. Giant UN-manned Robots that play like something out of Big O, Power Rangers, and Neon Genesis fighting against monsters for the fate of the world. Freaking awesome!

Falseprophet:

jaded zombie:
an unbiased account of the events leading to the death of bin laden made by hollywood?
call me skeptical

Well, the US military and government have already made it impossible to form any accurate account of the events by denying access to critical evidence, so I really doubt Hollywood could overcome that limitation.

like hollywood would ever think that's a limitation rather than a way to tailor the movie to a specific point of view

this is a movie made by americans about the point of view of americans, wich is not an bad thing by itself, but it gets worse when you remeber what are the conditions that the US military Company has for film-makers that want to rent their "hardware": basically, they can not show the military in a bad light, wich is a shot in the foot for anyone trying to make an objective portrayal of the events, considering that after 9/11 the US military Company attacked two countries over very shallow and poorly explained "official" reasons, and, overall, the whole deal was a radical violation of the United Nations Charter
if that is not presented as the crime it actually is, then no one in their right mind should call this a truly "objective" film

TheBestPieEver:
While we recognize that it was a big deal for you, and certainly an important event because of the fallout that it caused. The rest of the world does not remember 911. What I mean, is, the rest of the world has a lot of empathy for what was something really meek actually (Not saying that thousands of people dying is little, but it shocks Americans all the more because they are not accustomed to fighting or being attacked at home) but does not consider it a big deal by itself. Same thing with Bin Laden, even more so, perhaps. The fact that a world power with millions of military budget and who's constantly assassinating foreign figures and constantly at war, managed to make a hit on a target, it's not all that incredible. It's not like we think it isn't an achievement, it's just not something that we consider big. Like when you were in university and a friend of yours managed to buy a really sweet car. Good for you, nice car, I won't remember it a week from now.

You don't think 9/11 was a big deal? You contradict yourself, by saying it was an important event for at the least the fallout. You may not remember the details as an American may, but it changed the game for sure. And you do realize it's a hollywood film, hence made in America, so there is a good chance it's primary audience sure knows about it and Bin Laden. Kind of insulting that you would compare your friend buying a car to 3000+ people dying, two World Landmark Buildings coming down, Airports changing security, two wars, and massive man hunt for a known WORLD WIDE terrorist.

I'm psyched to see Zero Dark Thirty... but I was actually sort of hoping for a Jack Reacher review. Zero Dark Thirty has had so much buzz and I was a huge fan of The Hurt Locker, so I was always definitely going to go see it. I have no idea what to make of the new Tom Cruise movie, though...

Pacific Rim... Not sure what to think. Honestly, if Bob hadn't said he's looking forward to it, I would have defaulted to thinking that it's another Transformers or Battleship, albeit not based on any existing IP that I can think of (Unless that's supposed to be Godzilla?).

Regarding the controversy - the problem is that the film markets itself as being based on facts, yet the presentation of torture as being crucial to finding bin-Laden has been acknowledged by some military-related officials (including Senator Dianne Feinstein) to be flat-out wrong.

This isn't so much a matter of whether you like torture - it's more a matter of the film director/marketers lying about the accuracy of a crucial, very politically relevant detail.

I don't get the ending credit joke. What did you tell us about? What is that a picture of?

A new Kaiju film? The Guardians of the Galaxy Movie? Something with something something?

I'm really not sure what I'm looking at.

EDIT: Okay, I got it. It's Pacific Rim. I just watched the trailer.

Holy fuck...I have to see this movie.

Is that actually Glados's voice actress? Neat.

Mezmer:
I don't know. I'm sure the film is really well done, and the acting is top notch and everything, but I really didn't like the Hurt Locker. It was boring and really depressing. And from what you said about excruciating detail Bob, I probably won't like this one either. I'm going to give this one a pass. Maybe I'll rent it. I've got some Django and Les Mis to watch anyway this Christmas.

That pretty much sums up my doubts about seeing this as well. I've never seen Hurt Locker, but I really don't think this is a movie I could get into. I respect that someone managed to execute something so plain and factual about such an emotional concept, but I fear that the very dryness of it will keep me from really caring about it as I watch it.

Eh, well the waiting game until it comes out near me starts... screw Hollywood and their "we're going to release nationally nearly a month after it comes out in cities cuz Oscars" attitude. I live in a suburban area, not Asia, gimme your movie.

Anyway, the "too long" movie will probably be Les Miz (possibly Django but Les Miz seems more likely), Jack Reacher looks cliched as hell and Pacific Rim will be one of those "wait until it comes out to judge" movies. Glados is great but it's also a transparent gimmick to make nerdlings fawn over it and hype it up.

I sure its been said but. "America, F*** YES"

OT: At first I was skeptical of the movie, but when you said it was a "Rorschach test" of perspective, that makes me think that it really is more of a "facts only" type movie. I have not seen one like that in a while. I will go see it.

Tohron:
Regarding the controversy - the problem is that the film markets itself as being based on facts, yet the presentation of torture as being crucial to finding bin-Laden has been acknowledged by some military-related officials (including Senator Dianne Feinstein) to be flat-out wrong.

This isn't so much a matter of whether you like torture - it's more a matter of the film director/marketers lying about the accuracy of a crucial, very politically relevant detail.

But the torture had been critical to many other missions, many we do not know about (For the record, I am opposed to the lack of transparency. We need to know what is going on to keep our officials honest.) Read about Allen West, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_West_%28politician%29#Iraq_interrogation_incident , he did resign afterwards (later being elected to the U.S. House of Representatives).

It is one of those things where I agree and disagree with it at the same time. I will wait to see how the movie addresses it.

Following on "here's what happened, think what you want to think", I'd say that even "here's what happened" is up for debate, considering I've never actually seen any physical evidence of Bin Laden's death and all those who testify that this is the way it happened either had orders or something to gain.
I'm not saying that this isn't the way it happened, all I'm saying is that there's no proof to suggest that it did happen this way either.

Alandoril:
Your country created these people.

Yeah, and your country taught us bloody Yanks how to do it. Taught us everything you learned from imperialism and and hundreds of years of screwing over 3rd world nations for their natural resources. So what's your point?

lol

Aiddon:
We'll see how Pacific Rim goes over.

I am really, really hopeful for it. Did you see the interview that Del Toro did on Youtube? Pacific Rim is going to pay homage to all of the giant monster movies he (and I) grew up with. They actually motion captured people in suits to provide that authentic Godzilla-y touch. I cannot wait for this movie. Let the chant begin...please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck...

So is Pacific Rim the Monsterpocalypse film, I was curious as to how that was going.

What did you tell me so?

Also I'm going to give this movie a pass as I'm not too fond of "America F*ck yeah"

I guess after all this time bob ain't all that bright.

Lono Shrugged:
snip

Because if its been tens years since you killed 3,000 innocent people you're basically forgiven right?

OT: I'm sooooooo stoked for this movie, I'm currently on vacation but I can't wait til I get home so I can see this. I hope Django Unchained wasn't the "too long" movie I was looking forward to that.

hadn't heard of this, read Mark Owen's book and thought it was great.

Looking forward to this now. Thanks MovieBob

P.S. Not American, which is why im guessing i haven't heard anything about this film up to now

Lono Shrugged:
I am wary to watch this because I loved the fact that The Hurt Locker did not really glamourise the soldiers and showed how depressing and nihilistic the whole war and situation was. Is it too much to hope that a movie that climaxes with an unarmed man who has not really done much for the last 10 years get double tapped in front of his family by a person just as brainwashed and indoctrinated as he is including the billions spent and thousands killed to get to this point, kinda I dunno, highlight that point? Too much to hope I bet. I saw the the killing of Bin Laden as less of a "fuck yeah" and more of a "fucking hell, so was it worth the cost?" Judging by the news I saw, very few people felt the same. I will love this movie if it remotely raises these points.

Im not being flippant mate, but If you were a person denied justice i don't think you'd genuinely count the cost.

Osama was a scumbag, regardless of the motivations/truths/untruths that followed on the invasion of Iraq.

From what moviebob has said, it seems this film has taken a pretty mature approach to what was done and what was needed. Warts and all...

Obviously we both have to see it for ourselves, but i trust moviebob to be open enough and i trust the sources that this film would have consulted to make this a worthwhile film to watch.

chiefohara:

Im not being flippant mate, but If you were a person denied justice i don't think you'd genuinely count the cost.

Osama was a scumbag, regardless of the motivations/truths/untruths that followed on the invasion of Iraq.

From what moviebob has said, it seems this film has taken a pretty mature approach to what was done and what was needed. Warts and all...

Obviously we both have to see it for ourselves, but i trust moviebob to be open enough and i trust the sources that this film would have consulted to make this a worthwhile film to watch.

Joseph Harrison:

Because if its been tens years since you killed 3,000 innocent people you're basically forgiven right?

OT: I'm sooooooo stoked for this movie, I'm currently on vacation but I can't wait til I get home so I can see this. I hope Django Unchained wasn't the "too long" movie I was looking forward to that.

I totally hope that Moviebob is on the level on this one, and like I said I loved the Hurt Locker and I know that Kathryn Bigelow doesn't romanticize these things. I know 3,000 people died on 9/11 and all the horrible fighting afterwards etc. but this isn't Luke blowing up the death star. This was a cold blooded assassination of a hated figure carried out by a group with overwhelming superiority. I don't want this film to make me pump my fist in the air. I want it to tell the truth. That a government who prides itself on martial dominance spent billions and tortured and killed a lot of people to catch a guy who made them look weak. It was like the 2nd & 3rd Punic wars in many regards. I'm not denying that it HAD to be done. My hope for this film is to show that revenge can make us the monsters we chase to a certain extent. The count of Monte Cristo basically. A honourable man wronged seeks vengence and loses the honour that made his revenge so just. THAT'S a compelling narrative, and that's what I really want to see.

Gilhelmi:

Tohron:

But the torture had been critical to many other missions, many we do not know about (For the record, I am opposed to the lack of transparency. We need to know what is going on to keep our officials honest.) Read about Allen West, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_West_%28politician%29#Iraq_interrogation_incident , he did resign afterwards (later being elected to the U.S. House of Representatives).

It is one of those things where I agree and disagree with it at the same time. I will wait to see how the movie addresses it.

I don't see how that's particularly relevant here. They specifically showed torture as being part of what lead to tracking down OBL, and it appears that simply isn't accurate. That it may have potentially lead to useful information in other cases doesn't make it justifiable to shoehorn it in here in a movie which is (ostensibly at least) based on what actually happened.

I'm also not sure how the situation with West supports your point, given that the suspect in question gave names that lead to nothing. You understand that's the main non-moral argument against torture right? That it breeds false information because the person being interrogated will say whatever he thinks will make you stop?

Great review, will definitely check this one out.

As for Live-Action Neon Genesis Evangelion for Stupid People er, Pacific Rim, well, I'm sure you can guess what my opinion of it is....

Joseph Harrison:

Lono Shrugged:
snip

but does that gives the victim of that reason to kill even more inocent people to get the man behind it?
the truth is nobody cared how many inocent iraqis, afghanis, pakistanis and yemenis were being killed, kidnapped and tortured, because acording to the american point of view, the US was the ONLY victim of this war, the rest was either terrorists or "casualties" (gotta love this term)

Where was I when Bin Laden was killed
Well I don't know because I don't remember the date
I'm Australian, it just does not mean as much to me

I was probably annoyed that I could not watch cheese tv or anything but a constant barrage of 9/11 news stories for an entire week back when I was ten or something

Still if the movie is worth watching ill go see it

jeah, its strange that the county who hails and preaises themselves everytime about their freedom and contitution and fairness denies it their enemy.

how much is freedom and fairness worth if its just for you? why couldnt he have a fucking trial? i dont get it. so for me it wasnt wohoo moment, because here in germany its in dubio pro reo.
for me it was a facepalm-america shows that freedom and the chance for free trials are pourely for rich americans.. i mena, guantanamo-jears of torture without a trial-well if you look from this pov, the soldiers were nicer to bin laden.

and he never got a fair trial. so i consider him as innocent(i dont say that he wasnt behibnd all this-but it was never 100% proved and i lke the system where a man is first judged and then persecuted...
so.. i dont know if he was behind it-because his part and planning is not proven. and guess whose fault it is?^^

So, out of all the movies released this year, this one comes out at the end of the year, and it's already getting Oscar buzz? Seriously, what's so special about this movie that it would even deserve an oscar?

Blue Ranger:
So, out of all the movies released this year, this one comes out at the end of the year, and it's already getting Oscar buzz? Seriously, what's so special about this movie that it would even deserve an oscar?

Have you ever heard the term Oscar-bait?

llagrok:

Blue Ranger:

Have you ever heard the term Oscar-bait?

Yes. It's still ridiculous.

My girlfriend wanted to see this with me- mainly because she really admires a movie about documentaries based on real life stories that don't hold back the supposed truth. I too, wish to see it. Everyone including Bob now is going mad over it (in a positive manner) so this is a must see indeed.

Blue Ranger:

Yeah, the movie looks like garbage.

I don't see why any well-informed individual would suffer through 2 hours of gung-ho and supposedly "grey moral choices". Grey; read typical immoral American behaviour :)

llagrok:

Blue Ranger:

Yeah, the movie looks like garbage.

I don't see why any well-informed individual would suffer through 2 hours of gung-ho and supposedly "grey moral choices". Grey; read typical immoral American behaviour :)

Have you bothered to actually see the movie and judge or are you just gonna play armchair-critic with your prejudice feed 'information' on hollywood?

GOD DAMN YOU BOB!!! THIS MOVIE IS NOT RELEASING IN AUSTRALIAN UNTIL JANUARY 31 2013!!! WHY CANT YOU DO AT LEAST ONE MONTH WHERE YOU OPERATE ON AUSTRALIAN RELEASE TIMES!?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here