Escape to the Movies: Zero Dark Thirty

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Blue Ranger:

llagrok:

Blue Ranger:
So, out of all the movies released this year, this one comes out at the end of the year, and it's already getting Oscar buzz? Seriously, what's so special about this movie that it would even deserve an oscar?

Have you ever heard the term Oscar-bait?

Yes. It's still ridiculous.

Tons of movies come out in December every year to try for Oscars. This is not new.

llagrok:

Blue Ranger:

Yes. It's still ridiculous.

Yeah, the movie looks like garbage.

I don't see why any well-informed individual would suffer through 2 hours of gung-ho and supposedly "grey moral choices". Grey; read typical immoral American behaviour :)

I love how you can get perma-banned on these forums for being the tiniest bit offensive in what you post, but some smug guy like you can call my whole country immoral and nobody will bat an eye.

Nghtgnt:
I believe this movie will get reactions from different demographics similar to The Hurt Locker. What I mean is that after reading a lot about it and talking to a lot of people (to include EOD) I found that:

-Civilians generally liked it.
-Military/defense personnel could like it if able to suspend disbelief
-EOD hated it (they couldn't get over some of the more unrealistic parts)

On that note, based on all I've heard about the movie so far, my prediction for Zero Dark Thirty is:

-Civilians will generally like it
-Military/defense personnel could like it if able to suspend disbelief
-Anyone in the intelligence community will hate it (they won't be able to get over some of the more unrealistic parts)

Of course, I could be wrong and hopefully the portrayal of intelligence work isn't as bad/inaccurate as the trailers make it out to seem, but being an OEF veteran I just can't bring myself to go watch any movies about the current wars (Restrepo, The Hurt Locker, etc)

Pretty much spot on, as a former tank operator for the US Army I agree that the Hurt Locker is one of the most unrealistic and downright insulting portrayals of soldiers in combat that I have seen. The part with the Colonel (A full bird colonel mind you) coming up to a sergeant and praising the main character (calling him a "wild man") who not only put himself and his entire squad in danger is one of the most insulting things I have seen on screen. I could go on all day about the numerous inaccuracies the Hurt Locker has in it, but if Zero Dark Thirty is anything like that then I will stay clear of it because I can't stand watching a movie that puts no time into understanding how real soldiers or military in general operate.

Yojoo:
I love how you can get perma-banned on these forums for being the tiniest bit offensive in what you post, but some smug guy like you can call my whole country immoral and nobody will bat an eye.

Pointing out commonly perceived stereotypes should get me banned?

Anyways, I'm more referring to the way the bin-laden situation was handled and how America's pissed away billions of dollars in some crazy witch-hunt. Even if he was responsible for all of that, something The Power of Nightmares debunked fairly early on, just imagine how many lives they could've saved with that money had it been spent outside corporations. That money went to lining the pockets of a ton of homefront-antiterror groups and stuff like that.

Instead of gunning down kids and animals in the middle-east, why not try to up those soup kitchen and clothe the people that are dying in the streets of your own country! Greed is more likely to break anything nation long before some other foreign extremist-group does.

Coreless:

Pretty much spot on, as a former tank operator for the US Army I agree that the Hurt Locker is one of the most unrealistic and downright insulting portrayals of soldiers in combat that I have seen. The part with the Colonel (A full bird colonel mind you) coming up to a sergeant and praising the main character (calling him a "wild man") who not only put himself and his entire squad in danger is one of the most insulting things I have seen on screen. I could go on all day about the numerous inaccuracies the Hurt Locker has in it, but if Zero Dark Thirty is anything like that then I will stay clear of it because I can't stand watching a movie that puts no time into understanding how real soldiers or military in general operate.

Yeah, thinking about this movie and The Hurt Locker, I believe we were spoiled by Black Hawk Down and keep expecting something similar. That was a movie that, while still adding some Hollywood flair, ultimately followed a book that tried to get things as factually accurate as possible - Mark Bowden had unprecedented access to people and information (going so far as to being the first American in Somalia since the troops pulled out), and where two people's accounts of an event differed he left that event out entirely to avoid conflict/controversy. Kathryn Bigelow's movies are most certainly NOT Black Hawk Down, going instead for what will make a "more entertaining" movie for mass consumption.

Ugh... no thanks. It's not hard to see propaganda from miles away these days. It's like they're not even trying to be subtle anymore. I can't tell whether they just don't care anymore or if people are just so deluded that 'the powers that be' know they can just roll with this shit.

Tohron:
Regarding the controversy - the problem is that the film markets itself as being based on facts, yet the presentation of torture as being crucial to finding bin-Laden has been acknowledged by some military-related officials (including Senator Dianne Feinstein) to be flat-out wrong.

This isn't so much a matter of whether you like torture - it's more a matter of the film director/marketers lying about the accuracy of a crucial, very politically relevant detail.

Not to mention the fact that Maya is apparently based off Alfreda Bikowsky, the woman responsible for authorizing the torture of Khalid El-Masri, who was an innocent German citizen who recently received compensation from the European Court of Human Rights.

This is of course ignoring the constant praise and 'all American heroes' image of the CIA in the film. 'Objective' and 'unbiased' do not describe Zero Dark Thirty. "Everything from the CIA's entirely subjective view, amped up with Hollywood dramatic nonsense" is more fitting.

I mean, it's not like the head of the CIA has admitted that the film is historically incorrect or anything...oh wait, he did: http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/22/zero-dark-thirty-not-historically-accurate-cia-boss

beef_razor:
Ugh... no thanks. It's not hard to see propaganda from miles away these days. It's like they're not even trying to be subtle anymore. I can't tell whether they just don't care anymore or if people are just so deluded that 'the powers that be' know they can just roll with this shit.

I love how people claim that Zero Dark Thirty is propaganda just because it doesn't adhere to whatever horseshit conspiracy theory is popular at the moment.

I like a lot of Britain still find it very creepy how Americans view Osama Bin Ladens death. During that period most of our news coverage was about casting a shadow on all the celebrating and joy.

This sums it up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGdu6XEiZmc

Seems like eerily like a propaganda film... plus, I never understood why people were so happy one he was dead.
This whole attitude to his death scared me a little... and this film looks no different.
I also think to call this a happy ending is... just plain wrong.

Falseprophet:

jaded zombie:
an unbiased account of the events leading to the death of bin laden made by hollywood?
call me skeptical

Well, the US military and government have already made it impossible to form any accurate account of the events by denying access to critical evidence, so I really doubt Hollywood could overcome that limitation.

And Usanians call themselves the most democratic nation on Earth, when the governament and intelligence hides everything from its people, saying it is for protection they never asked!

About the movie, it has 6.8 on IMDb but 95 on metacritic, is it being trolled or something?
I'll probably watch, but let me say that I think this whole thing of demonizing Bin Laden is US propaganda and brainwashing at its best.

BrotherRool:
I like a lot of Britain still find it very creepy how Americans view Osama Bin Ladens death. During that period most of our news coverage was about casting a shadow on all the celebrating and joy.

This sums it up

I'm going to use this video everytime some Usanian asks why everyone hates them.

00DUMB:

Shoggoth2588:
4:28 "Told ya so"

What exactly was I looking at? Some kind of sequel to Cloverfield or, is that something from the upcoming Godzilla? Or was that something completely different? I'm completely confused about what that could have possibly been other than some kind of Ginbu-made-movie-monster.

I too would like some insight on this image.

I think that is the first image of the American reboot of Godzilla. Unfortunately, they are going with gritty and realistic which is why Bob seems so upset.

Ilikemilkshake:
I found the America Fuck Yeah! reaction to Bin Ladens execution to be both ironic and pretty disgusting. So the subject of this film immediately makes me wary but also taking into account how much I hated The Hurt Locker and well I don't think my interest in seeing this film could be lower.

Usually Bob giving this much praise would give me a slightly more positive outlook but I think I'll just wait a year or two until it's shown on tv.

I like to think that America is a lot like batman (plus murder). They try to for all their might to do what they feel is justice but people question if it's really worth it. Some people think it's batman's fault that his villains exist at all but he toils tires-sly, despite those criticisms, to continue his crusade. Personally, I love batman and anyone who doesn't can go suck my massive dc cock.

NaramSuen:
I think that is the first image of the American reboot of Godzilla. Unfortunately, they are going with gritty and realistic which is why Bob seems so upset.

Godzilla reboot? and Bob being upset? WTH happened here? That's an image from Pacific Rim, as he says afterwars, and it looks awesome, as he also states on the same video.

tehpiemaker:

Ilikemilkshake:
I found the America Fuck Yeah! reaction to Bin Ladens execution to be both ironic and pretty disgusting. So the subject of this film immediately makes me wary but also taking into account how much I hated The Hurt Locker and well I don't think my interest in seeing this film could be lower.

Usually Bob giving this much praise would give me a slightly more positive outlook but I think I'll just wait a year or two until it's shown on tv.

I like to think that America is a lot like batman (plus murder). They try to for all their might to do what they feel is justice but people question if it's really worth it. Some people think it's batman's fault that his villains exist at all but he toils tires-sly, despite those criticisms, to continue his crusade. Personally, I love batman and anyone who doesn't can go suck my massive dc cock.

Y'know what, In that context Batman is a pretty good metaphor for the US but if you start telling me that Batmerica is the Hero we deserve but not the one we need right now....

Blind Sight:

Tohron:
Regarding the controversy - the problem is that the film markets itself as being based on facts, yet the presentation of torture as being crucial to finding bin-Laden has been acknowledged by some military-related officials (including Senator Dianne Feinstein) to be flat-out wrong.

This isn't so much a matter of whether you like torture - it's more a matter of the film director/marketers lying about the accuracy of a crucial, very politically relevant detail.

Not to mention the fact that Maya is apparently based off Alfreda Bikowsky, the woman responsible for authorizing the torture of Khalid El-Masri, who was an innocent German citizen who recently received compensation from the European Court of Human Rights.

This is of course ignoring the constant praise and 'all American heroes' image of the CIA in the film. 'Objective' and 'unbiased' do not describe Zero Dark Thirty. "Everything from the CIA's entirely subjective view, amped up with Hollywood dramatic nonsense" is more fitting.

I mean, it's not like the head of the CIA has admitted that the film is historically incorrect or anything...oh wait, he did: http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/22/zero-dark-thirty-not-historically-accurate-cia-boss

yeah, so much for a "fact-based unbiased film" like Bob says it is
if it doesn't end with a shot of the flag with a soaring eagle it's "unbiased" enough for americans

He was not 'terminated'.
He was killed.
He was a person.

IGNORE POST

Markunator:

beef_razor:

I love how people claim that Zero Dark Thirty is propaganda just because it doesn't adhere to whatever horseshit conspiracy theory is popular at the moment.

It's blatantly obvious that this is propaganda, if you choose not to realize that for whatever reason, by all means.

Friederich:
He was not 'terminated'.
He was killed.
He was a person.

yeah that was sort of weird. just say killed, terminated always sounds like people trying an distance themselves from the reality of killing.

beef_razor:

Markunator:

beef_razor:

It's blatantly obvious that this is propaganda, if you choose not to realize that for whatever reason, by all means.

Just like "The Hurt Locker", her last big military film? That certainly didn't "inspired" me to want to join the glamorous world of the military. It was rather cynical, actually.

... Or are we judging a film we haven't seen yet and slapping an agenda on it? Again? What next? Is "The Dark Knight" a cleverly disguised portrayal of right-wing thinking? Is "The Lorax" a clever ploy to corrupt kids into liberal opinions? Is "Passion of the Christ" anti-Jewish propaganda? Is "Saving Private Ryan" part of Steven Spielberg's anti-German campaign? Is "300" a parable of George W. Bush's political career?

It's pretty ignorant and stupid to claim a film has an agenda when you haven't seen the film yourself, or you go into a film telling yourself it has an agenda and you'll be picking up the things that support your beliefs and ignoring the parts that don't.

I'll try to avoid the petty politics, but I'll be concise here: no government is entirely "good" nor "evil", and there is much every nation on this planet has to be ashamed about in some way, both past and recent. That said, the death of one of the most prominent and influential terrorist leaders on the globe and the mastermind behind the largest terrorist attack on my nation is absolutely something I approve of and, yes, was HAPPY to know happened. Regardless of the methods used to find him, regardless of the bone-headed things my nation has done, the killing of such a hateful, murder-loving monster like that man was is nothing but a blessing to the world. His death will not bring peace to my soul for the losses I endured or the family I lost, but it brings peace to my mind knowing he'll never again be able to orchestrate the pain and suffering of other innocents. We cannot fully eradicate evil in this world, but the loss of one of the darkest and most hateful souls on this world to allow a bit more light to shine is cause enough to find some measure of satisfaction.

Trishbot:
the death of one of the most prominent and influential terrorist leaders on the globe

what? I'm sorry, has george bush suddenly died and nobody told me?
I think you forgot that by 2010 almost half of the world's refugees were fleeing from american wars (http://www.economist.com/node/18867622?) and that the number of inocent people killed in those wars reach the hundreds of thousands (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-11107739)
the magnitute of how much fear and violence the US goverment has spread in the past ten years is something Osama couldn't even dream of

Trishbot:
Regardless of the methods used to find him, regardless of the bone-headed things my nation has done

so, regardless of all the violations of the United Nations Charter, regardless of how many inocent people were kidnapped, tortured and killed, regardless of how many people had to flee their homes, their countries, it was all worth it because the goverment executed a man without trial?

there is no doubt that what bin laden did was criminal and despicable, but the fact that the goverment used that as a justification to unleash such pain and terror should be nothing short of disrespectful to those who suffered from the attacks

Trishbot:

beef_razor:

Markunator:

Just like "The Hurt Locker", her last big military film? That certainly didn't "inspired" me to want to join the glamorous world of the military. It was rather cynical, actually.

... Or are we judging a film we haven't seen yet and slapping an agenda on it? Again? What next? Is "The Dark Knight" a cleverly disguised portrayal of right-wing thinking? Is "The Lorax" a clever ploy to corrupt kids into liberal opinions? Is "Passion of the Christ" anti-Jewish propaganda? Is "Saving Private Ryan" part of Steven Spielberg's anti-German campaign? Is "300" a parable of George W. Bush's political career?

It's pretty ignorant and stupid to claim a film has an agenda when you haven't seen the film yourself, or you go into a film telling yourself it has an agenda and you'll be picking up the things that support your beliefs and ignoring the parts that don't.

I'll try to avoid the petty politics, but I'll be concise here: no government is entirely "good" nor "evil", and there is much every nation on this planet has to be ashamed about in some way, both past and recent. That said, the death of one of the most prominent and influential terrorist leaders on the globe and the mastermind behind the largest terrorist attack on my nation is absolutely something I approve of and, yes, was HAPPY to know happened. Regardless of the methods used to find him, regardless of the bone-headed things my nation has done, the killing of such a hateful, murder-loving monster like that man was is nothing but a blessing to the world. His death will not bring peace to my soul for the losses I endured or the family I lost, but it brings peace to my mind knowing he'll never again be able to orchestrate the pain and suffering of other innocents. We cannot fully eradicate evil in this world, but the loss of one of the darkest and most hateful souls on this world to allow a bit more light to shine is cause enough to find some measure of satisfaction.

Just because it didn't inspire you, don't mean it won't inspire others. I was in the military and I met plenty of kids who were joined because they thought it was going to be like a movie or like Call of Duty, or because they were lied to about fighting for freedom or taking out terrorists, or some other bullshit. At the very least, these movies glorify the military and warfare, which is dangerous. It backs an already dubious narrative put forth by the government, because they know full well if a movie is made about it, that narrative will solidify into people's minds as being true, even if the source material isn't adhered to completely. Controlling, manipulating and brainwashing people isn't that difficult, especially in this day and age, and to assume a government that has connections to the entertainment industry and who has continually lied to us for years on end and used every horrible event to take more liberty from us in the name of 'safety' is sheer foolishness. If you want to call me an idiot, so be it, I could care less, but that doesn't change the fact that our government manipulates and fools the very people they proclaim to protect on a regular basis.

firmicute:
why couldnt he have a fucking trial?

Because he was a member of an insurgency, and as such he had no rights; certainly not to a trial.

Don't believe me or don't like that? It's in the Geneva Conventions. The US was well within its rights to blow the guy's brain out then and there.

jaded zombie:

Trishbot:
Regardless of the methods used to find him, regardless of the bone-headed things my nation has done

so, regardless of all the violations of the United Nations Charter, regardless of how many inocent people were kidnapped, tortured and killed, regardless of how many people had to flee their homes, their countries, it was all worth it because the goverment executed a man without trial?

there is no doubt that what bin laden did was criminal and despicable, but the fact that the goverment used that as a justification to unleash such pain and terror should be nothing short of disrespectful to those who suffered from the attacks

That is not what I meant, nor how I feel. I do not believe two wrongs make a right.

We are very much in the wrong on many things. I do not believe the ends justify the means. But that does NOT mean that when some good occurs, I cannot be happy that it still occurred. My fiance's grandfather was in the Japanese military in WW2 when the bomb was dropped; from what I was told, of course he wasn't "happy" to lose the war and have his nation bombed... but that doesn't mean he wasn't allowed to find peace and satisfaction that the long and bitter war finally came to an end, even if the means to get there were terrible. No more comrades dying, no more fearful and desperate fights for survival, no more worries... it was over, and, though it came with the bitterness of defeat, it also brought him and millions of others peace...

... And, well, American occupation led him to meet an American woman, whose kids came to America, and whose grandchild met me and proposed to me. Good CAN come from evil. I'll be right there criticizing evil when it occurs, but I also won't be blind or unaware when some good occurs as well.

beef_razor:

Markunator:

beef_razor:

All right, enlighten me: how is it propaganda? Bob flat-out says in his review that it doesn't have an agenda; it doesn't tell you what to think, it just shows you what happened and lets you figure out for yourself what to think.

THAT'S NOT WHAT PROPAGANDA IS. Propaganda is an attempt to influence people into thinking a certain way. For fuck's sake, is "propaganda" now going to become one of those internet words that are overused until the point of utter meaninglessness, like "epic", "emo" or "pretentious"?

I'm kind of curious to know how differently the box office total of this movie is going to end up as between the continents. (Relatively speaking of course.)

For Americans, obviously those two events were life defining. For Euro folk, the attack was about as big a story as the Japanese tidal wave meltdown. And the eventual capture and kill was almost shrugworthy, if it happened at all /tinfoil. So how will that impact the movie, both in public appeal and in appreciation?

Where was I during 9/11? I was at home with friends playing WWF No Mercy. Someone shouted to me that something was happening in America but I didn't really care. WWF No Mercy was just too awesome.

And I really have no idea where I was when Osama died. The only thing I remember is being creeped out how Americans were celebrating the killing of a person afterwards. Hell, I was surprised they just dumped his body into the sea instead of flying it to America and parading it around the nation.

I'll most likely not watch this movie because while I do like war documentaries, anything War on Terror related that comes out of America tends to make me feel a little bit uncomfortable.

Why is it I get the feeling that I'm really not welcome on this website? Seriously I can't go into half of the threads around here without feeling like half of the people on this website want me to fuck off.

Markunator:

beef_razor:

Markunator:

All right, enlighten me: how is it propaganda? Bob flat-out says in his review that it doesn't have an agenda; it doesn't tell you what to think, it just shows you what happened and lets you figure out for yourself what to think.

THAT'S NOT WHAT PROPAGANDA IS. Propaganda is an attempt to influence people into thinking a certain way. For fuck's sake, is "propaganda" now going to become one of those internet words that are overused until the point of utter meaninglessness, like "epic", "emo" or "pretentious"?

Well, first of all it's puts forth the narrative that Osama died in the raid, when there's evidence he died many years earlier. You got the internet, look it up yourself and come to your own conclusions. People always get up in arms and fight tooth and nail against the concept that maybe they're being manipulated by people in power who don't give a fuck about them, like the idea itself is so ridiculous it should be ridiculed from the gate, instead of investigated. If you want to believe you're not being manipulated, fine.

beef_razor:

Markunator:

beef_razor:

Well, first of all it's puts forth the narrative that Osama died in the raid, when there's evidence he died many years earlier. You got the internet, look it up yourself and come to your own conclusions. People always get up in arms and fight tooth and nail against the concept that maybe they're being manipulated by people in power who don't give a fuck about them, like the idea itself is so ridiculous it should be ridiculed from the gate, instead of investigated. If you want to believe you're not being manipulated, fine.

"STOP BEIN' A PART OF THE SYSTEM, MAAAAN!"

Look, you are not enlightened. You are a tinfoil-hat wearing conspiracy theory twit. There is no proof that Osama bin Laden died years ago. Like I said, this film is not propaganda just because it doesn't cater to whatever conspiracy theories you believe in.

BrotherRool:

This sums it up

I find it hard to understand how being happy about a man like him getting killed is a bad thing. I mean sure, there's the whole fiasco of what the war in Iraq turned into, but when a man responsible for the deaths of thousands is killed, I really don't see the down side to being happy.

Anoni Mus:

BrotherRool:

This sums it up

I'm going to use this video everytime some Usanian asks why everyone hates them.

So...wait, because we got happy when a mass murderer was killed...that's justification for other people to hate our country...I'm so confused, could you please explain? I think I'm missing something.

Markunator:

beef_razor:

Markunator:

"STOP BEIN' A PART OF THE SYSTEM, MAAAAN!"

Look, you are not enlightened. You are a tinfoil-hat wearing conspiracy theory twit. There is no proof that Osama bin Laden died years ago. Like I said, this film is not propaganda just because it doesn't cater to whatever conspiracy theories you believe in.

Never said I was enlightened. Anyway, I really don't want to waste too much of my time here since it's clear you probably won't even listen, but conspiracies do happen. Is everything a conspiracy, of course not, but they've happened throughout history and to assume they don't happen now for whatever misguided reason is naÔve and foolish. I'd advise you to look for answers yourself and come to your own conclusions instead of applying knee jerk reactions and regurgitating whatever the typical and socially accepted reply is regarding apparent 'conspiracy nuts'. But whatever, the choice is yours.

erttheking:

Anoni Mus:

BrotherRool:

This sums it up

So...wait, because we got happy when a mass murderer was killed...that's justification for other people to hate our country...I'm so confused, could you please explain? I think I'm missing something.

In civilized countries people do not celebrate death even if he were a "bad" person, people might be satisfied but would never go out on the streets and make the mess you did.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here