Escape to the Movies: Django Unchained

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Django Unchained

MovieBob takes us into Django's journey for revenge.

Watch Video

problem is Bane is DEFINITELY better than Red Skull or Loki. I could almost see three of the actors getting Acting noms for Oscars. Waltz maybe even though Schultz is best described as "Landa but as a hero", DiCaprio for playing this incredibly disgusting fraud gentleman, and Jackson for going SEVERELY against the typecasting he's had for nearly twenty years.

This movie sounds...off the chain.

Seriously looking forward to this.

Aiddon:
problem is Bane is DEFINITELY better than Red Skull or Loki.

Better than movie Red Skull for sure. And better than Da Silva in Skyfall (he was fine, but so many reviewers went on like he was the best Bond villain ever, and he's so very, very not). But not better than Loki. No way, no how.

Sounds like everything I've ever dreamed of... it's everything I hoped it could be.

as much as Bob loved it, and as much as im sure all of my friends will tell me this is the best Tarantino movie yet... i still just cant get into this dudes movies. ive never seen a Tarantino movie ive liked (the only ones i have not seen are Jackie Brown, and Reservoir Dogs) i think he is a great writer ( i love his dialog) but i cant stand his directing style... idk, maybe i will rent it on Netflix when it is out (ps yes i know this is the unpopular opinion just throwing out the "not a fan" side of things)

I got spurs that djingo, django, djingo
as I go killin' merrily along,
And they sing, 'Oh aint you glad you're a free man
And that slavery ain't so very far from wrong

What was wrong with 2012?

-Cloud Atlas (!)
-The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
-Django Unchained
-The Avengers
-The Walking Dead (the adventure game)
-Mass Effect 3
-XCOM: Enemy Unknown
-Assassin's Creed 3
-Far Cry 3

So, yeah... I guess if you're a reviewer in the industry and you have to watch a new movie/play a new game every week, of course 2012 won't have seemed too interesting. But for us consumers the year has been just fine.

Saw this movie last night, HOLY SHIT is this thing awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing it 5 more times, I can't even get over how great the movie is

Furioso:
Saw this movie last night, HOLY SHIT is this thing awesome. I wouldn't mind seeing it 5 more times, I can't even get over how great the movie is

Go see Cloud Atlas - you'll have exactly the same sensation.

The bag-mask scene alone is worth the price of admission. This movie was great. For me, it balanced action, story, gore, comedy, and style perfectly all while turning out fantastic acting from the stars. I still feel Reservoir Dogs is my favorite Tarantino movie, this is the high mark of his career so far.

Yep, gonna see that one.

Interesting how every single white reviewer I've seen loves this movie (Jeremy Jahns, MovieBob, etc.) while a lot of black reviewers despise it (the guys over at Spill.com, for instance).

I have no real love for Tarantino. It is not because he takes pieces of obscure foreign movies and makes his own mashups of them (Which is one those tired pop culture arguments you either missed or did not think of). Even Spielberg and Lucas did that, (Hidden Fortress is Star Wars in plot and storybeats). I dislike him for getting praise for really doing nothing. His most famous movie, Pulp Fiction, is a simplistic movie with the "innovative" conceit of showing the story out of order. If that movie was shown the way the narrative demanded, he would not have that hip and trendy label attached to him.

The only real gripe i had about this movie? Too long. Especially concerning the 'end' that Bob apparently loved. The epic shoot out (and it was!) was already dragging the movie long, then, for no real reason they decide to give you another ending that is *not* as epic as the shoot out that just happened. So, contrary to what Bob says, I don't feel this movie 'topped' itself after that shoot out.

All that said, this movie is great. Almost every character is GREAT and fairly memorable. The action is fun, and it does have some teeth to the issues it brings up. I'd avoid only if you aren't a fan of Tarantino and/or aren't a fan of the old ultraviolence.

josh4president:
Interesting how every single white reviewer I've seen loves this movie (Jeremy Jahns, MovieBob, etc.) while a lot of black reviewers despise it (the guys over at Spill.com, for instance).

Interesting how this observation adds nothing to the discussion.

Django down, Bring on Kill Bill Part Three.

OMG! Sounds awesome, I love Tarantino
*checks movie theater website*
17.1.2013!!! I dont want to wait that long :(

So.....any thoughts on Samuel L Jackson's performance?

Another Tarantino movie for the video collection...

like there was any doubt.

When this was first announced I was kind of afraid it was going to shy away from really taking the gloves off about the subject material, so I'm glad to see that that apparently hasn't happened.

I really liked the phrase "America's original sin" to describe the slave trade, although I'd argue that probably belongs to European settler's treatment of native Americans, a topic that doesn't seem to garner as much outrage or shame.

"HEY! Get outta there, Mumbles!"

God, that made my day. It was unexpected, it was accurate, and it was clever... Keep it up Bob.

God I freakin' love Westerns. Harumph!

malestrithe:

josh4president:

Interesting how this observation adds nothing to the discussion.

it does actually especially when this movie is slavery themed, it adds alot actually.

I cannot wait for this film to hit the UK. As per usual we have to wait longer than the States to get our beady little eyes on it but hey-ho, what can I do?

I did just get Inglorious Basterds on DVD for Xmas, so that'll have to fill the time until then.

Falseprophet:

Aiddon:

Better than movie Red Skull for sure. And better than Da Silva in Skyfall (he was fine, but so many reviewers went on like he was the best Bond villain ever, and he's so very, very not). But not better than Loki. No way, no how.

Agreed. Why's Bob gotta be all mean to Bane? He tried his best! What a bully...

Gerishnakov:
I cannot wait for this film to hit the UK. As per usual we have to wait longer than the States to get our beady little eyes on it but hey-ho, what can I do?

I did just get Inglorious Basterds on DVD for Xmas, so that'll have to fill the time until then.

Hopefully we won't have to wait till Feb like some other films...

You did not answer one question is this a Blaxploitation or more of a spaghetti western? Well this film had my attention, now it has my curiosity indeed.

TheDrunkNinja:

Falseprophet:

Aiddon:

Agreed. Why's Bob gotta be all mean to Bane? He tried his best! What a bully...

You should have left Bane alone mr movie man.

PunkRex:

Are you referring to Gangster Squad?

Now I know people are going to scream racist at me, but does it seem to anyone else that Bob has a little bit of a crush on black men?

Gerishnakov:

PunkRex:

Wreck It Ralph actually.

Gerishnakov:

PunkRex:

Oh wait no I bet you're referring to Wreck It Ralph!

EDIT: I knew it.

lol at the slam against TDKR's Bane! Also, I SO want to see this movie, buy nobody wants to see it with me! I'm so desperate I might have to see it on my own...

well truth be told
Django is a better unconventional name than fucking Dovahkiin

you know, from Bethesda's TESV contest thing

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook