Reel Physics: Fast Five - Vault Heist

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Fast Five - Vault Heist

At first glimpse it looks quite easy to tear a large vault out of a wall.

Watch Video

I enjoy this show despite barely understanding any of the math involved.

I am really loving this series.

Suggestion: the asteroid canyon jumping scene from Armageddon

So I can assume the bank vault would of easily smash that tree to bits?

My suggestion- Indiana Jones using the lead reinforce fridge to escape that Nuclear (or maybe not seeing how the calculation the injury he would of/ wouldn't receive is too hard to calculate?).

Calculate the structural integrity of the Vipers in Battlestar Galactica, see if it's possible to push one back into the landing strip like Starbuck did in the premier episode.Or the amount of energy needed to open the Wormhole in The Avengers.
Also: way to milk that mu joke :P

The favourite of all Geologists should be The Core, but I guess it's not a question that the physics in there are beyond logic. Will you focus on newer movies?

How deep would the holes/divots in the earth be from the spaceships traveling over it in Independence Day?

Thoroughly enjoy the series, 1st episode I watched. Wonder if they do videogames too.

I second the Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull refridgerator scene. Don't know if it'd be a good thing to make an episode out of, but the idea sounds interesting to me.

democracy has chosen the fridge scene form kingdom of the chrystal skull.

Hahahaha pretty much a given. Loving the cow whenever the µ symbol came up!

Anything with the Harrier Jump Jet in True Lies. I know that thing can't hover for so long without combusting, but how much fuel would that thing have needed, and can it shoot the missile through the building? Methinketh not, but I want to see numbers, damnit!

rhizhim:

Or the Raft scene from Temple of Doom, probably the two most crazy scenes in the series

Lionsfan:

rhizhim:

Or the Raft scene from Temple of Doom, probably the two most crazy scenes in the series

Shia Labeouf swinging through the trees with monkeys and catching up with a convoy of fast moving vehicles is probably about the most ridiculous Indiana Jones scene I've seen. At least the raft looks vaguely feasible.

Please focus on stuff that at least at first glance looks feasable.
I don't think ANYONE thought the fridge was survivable, and calculating how much of Jones would be turned into goo doesn't interest me.

The Core was a good suggestion if you want to go really crazy.
(best quote from that "I'm gonna hack THE PLANET")... :D

I loved this. What I would have loved is rather than having Chargers added up to drag the safe, a selection of other vehicles that may have done it given the a 2 vehicle limit. Maybe Hummers or the front end of the 18 wheeler. Not that it would be fast, but it should be able to drag the damned thing.

Proverbial Jon:

Lionsfan:

rhizhim:

Shia Labeouf swinging through the trees with monkeys and catching up with a convoy of fast moving vehicles is probably about the most ridiculous Indiana Jones scene I've seen. At least the raft looks vaguely feasible.

Being 100% serious here, I had completely blanked that scene from my brain until now, when you reminded me of it.

Holy cow was Crystal Skull bad....

Yeah, the moment I saw that scene, I was like "nope not going to happen"
To do something like that one would need couple of bulldozers on threads (and some goddamn strong rope)
But chase scene on bulldozers wouldn't be as exciting :)

P.S. Or maybe find a way to add threads and extra weight to the cars (with ability to drop them as soon as vault is out)

i understood non of the math involved (again) still enjoyed it.

Lionsfan:

rhizhim:

Mythbusters did it :P

I whould like to see them do the retarded scene from charlies angles with the helicopter falling from the dam.

Great show guys

Lionsfan:
Being 100% serious here, I had completely blanked that scene from my brain until now, when you reminded me of it.

Holy cow was Crystal Skull bad....

I don't blame you; I wish I could repress my memory of the whole film!

great episode but one thing i think you did better in the first one was having both imperial and metric units. i had to do a lot of pound to Kg calculations to get an idea about how much force we are talking about. and unless i was lied to american physicists and engineers prefer using the metric measurements.

oh regarding suggestions, besides all of 2012, one of the many "flying a jet through tight canyon" scenes so common in movies(independence day comes to mind) with a pilot as a protagonist.

How about Die Hard 4.0 where the car is launched to blow up the helicopter.

I'd like to hear about the Romulan Drill of Planetary Doom from Star Trek (2009), and about how, in the movie, it drills to the planet's core.

Good show, science! Sorry Vin Diesel, we still love you. Though if you're looking to earn extra brownie points, Iron Giant 2. Consider it?

As for what I'd like to see...well, how much force WOULD it take to launch and fly an Iron Man suit?

how many tanks would it take?

Paul Barrett:
How about Die Hard 4.0 where the car is launched to blow up the helicopter.

That was a funny as hell scene, I would like to know if that could actually happen as well.

drthmik:

Probably more than the amount of cars. Remember that they are not trying to pull the safe out on a soft surface like dirt so BOOM goes most of the traction in the tank!

understanding of the math = 0%
enjoyment of the show = 100%

little suggestion to you guys regarding weights. not everyone understands "lb". if you could use "kg" as well, that would be very nice of you guys.

oh my god, there are so many movies that have crazy physics that should be explained by you guys.

A second for using Metric units, being English I use a hideous amalgamation of Imperial and Metric units, but cars are weighed in Kilos for me, 6,000 pounds is meaningless :( . Also I've never understood why Americans use Pounds but not Stones? It's like using inches but not feet!?

I'm now wondering how much torque it would take to pull a 60,000 pound safe, and what effect that amount of weight would have had on the cars cornering! From towing fairly small cars I wouldn't much fancy towing 5 times the weight of my car!

Edit - Just converted 6,000 pounds to Kilos, 2,721. Jesus Christ. Nearly 3 tonnes? What are those cars made of?!?

Lots of fun but, like many, I think you should target some of the big ones:

Some of the wip, gun and car tricks from Indiana jones (the first three movies)

King Kong: assuming there was a huge ape on a New York sky scrapper could he bat a bi-plane out of the sky?

Home Alone: Just how many of those 'gags' should have been lethal?

Due to popular demand... we will most likely release most/all of the math results in both measurement systems so everything can be understood easily. We do all of our calculations in metric initially which is of course the system that physicists and engineers use for almost everything and then convert them for the sake of our American audience which is the majority of our viewers. Look for episodes 4 and on to post everything in both units of measure when possible. Thanks everyone for the feedback! You are helping to make this series spectacular and we are only on the second episode!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

drthmik:

probably a very boring figure, like 1

let's take a very British tank:
FV4034 Challenger 2, ( cause we want all your american moneys! )
and put it on the bathroom scale quickly:
loaded for bare it weighs 62,500 kg ( according to army.mod.uk.. they would know right? )
well 62,500 kg is 136687 lbs, so the tank is far heavier than the safe

i calculate it to have 44853 lbs of traction by dividing weight by track area/coeff of rubber pads
( if that calculation is wrong, feel free to correct it )

the tank produces 1,200 hp (890 kW)
and has four forward low gears, maxing out at 37 mph
the output torque is not listed, however my guess is 1 tank could pull this off with ease
if it has a low enough gear which is also not listed

meaning, the tank could certainly accelerate and yank the safe along in almost any condition
( because it weighs more than the safe, it can apply it's inertia to get the safe moving )
on a soothe surface the tank could probably tow the safe
by smooth surface, i mean a dusty road, ala the video.

However:
at a unit cost of $8,600,000
it may be simpler to sell the tank or invade a country that has oil

they need a tank

Shouldnt Wdistribution=46/100 rather than 1/(54/46)? Multiplying by the weight of the car would then give you the weight on the rear tires right?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here