A Game 20 Years In the Making

A Game 20 Years In the Making

A Finnish developer's indie game project has been in the works for almost two decades - and it's still going.

Read Full Article

Wow, this is actually kind of sad, since no one has heard of this game.

I mean, I'm Finnish and this is the first time I've ever heard of this.

Wow. I'm impressed that in this day and age a game that sounds this epic can still go unnoticed. I'll be sure to give it a try.

Hmm may check this out. I played around with it in 98 I think but it felt a bit off then and I thought it was the finished game so didn't think it would change much.

I remember it had loads of good ideas in it though but was a bit obtuse to get into as there weren't many sites around that had good info on playing it. That's probably changed now though.

Since the article didn't say anything about it I'm guessing this is one of those games with no end. I have enormous respect for this guy for putting so much into a project, but games like that just don't sound fun to me, so I don't think I'll be trying it.

Provided that you could survive long enough, yeah. It wouldn't end. But, I've been playing it for about a year now, and a typical game ends pretty quickly.

I remember fitzing around in this in college. And starving to death quite often. Or bleeding to death from trying to hunt game much larger than I was equipped to handle.

Here's hoping we get to see how this game evolves over another 20 years.

I played it some fifteen years ago (I wasn't very good at it), when I was in my roguelike period and played all of them, but I had no idea it was in such active development again.

Is it actually Maaranen's livelihood? The article isn't clear.

ESCAPIST! Make more articles like this please.

Sounds like the love child of RuneScape and Don't Starve, with a big brother called Minecraft.

Which sounds pretty good to me. I used to love RS, and I've been playing Minecraft for a couple of years now (on and off). Might give it a go.

It better look like minecraft, use midi sound and come on a cartridge or I'm not interested.

I just recently got back into roguelike games after a loooooong hiatus (thank you Binding of Isaac), so I'm gonna download this. If the execution is as good as the description, I'll definitely throw some of my Christmas money his way.

and it is probably going to turn out to be as great as duke nukem forever...

Yal:
I played it some fifteen years ago (I wasn't very good at it), when I was in my roguelike period and played all of them, but I had no idea it was in such active development again.

Is it actually Maaranen's livelihood? The article isn't clear.

It isn't his sole livelihood. He's worked a variety of jobs throughout these past 20 years, including repairing tvs, making juice, drawing newspaper comics and more. A very varied and interesting life indeed.

Does anyone know when it is going to be Finnished?

I have never heard of it.

Games like this are what kickstarter are for, somebody should suggest he set one up for funds to finally finish the game as i bet with enough funds and time it could be a damn fine game(not that it isnt fine atm).

From the sound of it, he doesn't WANT to be finished with the game. It is an eternal work-in-progress. A life's work.

I'd say it's closer to Home and Hearth, except that game has really confusing combat, and roving gangs of trolls from every country.

Thank you for this article.
Been playing games since the 80s but this one totally passed me by. I guess I will give it a try.

AT God:
Does anyone know when it is going to be Finnished?

Stop, you're killing me.

OT: Sounds a bit like dwarf fortress then- didn't the guy developing that say he doesn't expect it to be finished for another 40 years? Shame really, with a larger team they could finally work on improving the visuals and making it easier to play.

During those 20 years of development mr. Maaranen has re-written the user-interface and re-done the graphics several times. I know him in person, and I believe that he's just going to keep on going like this; always improving the game, releasing new versions one after another. It is share-ware, and there are veteran players whom paid for their license over ten years ago; and they are still playing the game. This game just doesn't fit the ordinary logic of a "finished product for sale" =)

I actually played some version of this is the past. It's pretty much an ultra-realistic roguelike. I seem to recall running afoul of wolves that tore my arms off. Death was not far behind that.

Erkka Lehmus:
During those 20 years of development mr. Maaranen has re-written the user-interface and re-done the graphics several times. I know him in person, and I believe that he's just going to keep on going like this; always improving the game, releasing new versions one after another. It is share-ware, and there are veteran players whom paid for their license over ten years ago; and they are still playing the game. This game just doesn't fit the ordinary logic of a "finished product for sale" =)

Interesting side note: Erkka is the other developer behind UnReal World and is listed as the co-founder of Enormous Elk.

I recently moved to Finland from the Netherlands and will be moving further North to Rovaniemi (for those to lazy to look it up, it's practically on the polar circle) and what I love about Finland is the nature as well as the rather hard language. I had never been able to get into a roguelike before, but I've just bought this and not regretted it. When I finally find a job I'll probably buy the lifetime subscription.

Hey Erkka, in case you're still reading the comments... I don't suppose I could come work for a day on your house (Assuming there is still enough to do) in return for a life-time registration?)

Tommy

Tommy, if you like chopping firewood IRL, send me a personal message (either here or find me in facebook) and we can plan further =)

marurder:

I second this motion.

Interesting article, I'll have to check the game out.

This game could be in production for 100 years and still look like SkiFree

This article is an inspiration to all of us wannabe developers. To be able to create out of love for your creation, and not any external motivation, is a privilege that few people are afforded in this world.

I've loved UrW for several years now, discovered it when I was getting into Dwarf Fortress and Roguelikes. Glad to see Sami getting some mainstream recognition. This is one of the most enjoyable single-player open-world games I've played.

Its actually free to play now with its latest release (at time of writing) funded by donations. I think I will give it a try myself just started downloading 3.16beta.

EDIT: I also agree more articles like this!

fenrizz:

marurder:

I second this motion.

Interesting article, I'll have to check the game out.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here