The 50 Most Boring Opinions In Geek Culture - Part I

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

funksobeefy:

Shameless:
Wait, how Starship Troppers is better than the book ? I need people the explain that.

Both are great, I loved the book. But its so much different. They fight the same bugs, but where the movie is more propaganda the book deals with citizenship and responsibility to the goverment

Correct, they are both so different that realistically you can't compare the two. Remember, Verhoven didn't even read the book...

shintakie10:
I thought it was the other way around for Starship Troopers? The book was all about sayin how much better life would be in a fascist society where the only people who were allowed to have opinions are those who serve their planet. The movie makes a point to show how fuckin terrible that idea is.

... and neither apparently have you (or you completely missed significant points). I would recommend you read the book or at least read up on Heinlein.

44. You only think [movie/show/game] is good because you saw it when you were a kid.

9 times out of 10 when this is said, it's true. That's why it's boring - because everyone who hears it knows it, even if they tell themselves otherwise.

Well, I guess this is true if you watched and played nothing but shit when you were a kid.

32. Starship Troopers was better than the book.

I agree. So do a lot of people. So many that saying so just isn't the instant act of sci-fi lit rebellion many still act like it is.

Are you sure you don't have that the other way around? If you don't it's the most asinine statement I've read this week. The movie version of Starship Troopers is so incredibly clown shoes that the only way I've watched it since I was 11 is with rules to take shots at appropriate points in the movie.

Just to give an example, in the movie they drop down to the surface in drop ships like they do in Aliens wearing vests and pulse rifles. In the book they're wearing fucking power armor and get shot out of a goddamned orbital cannon in metal shells towards the planet's surface.

The only explanation I have for this is opinion 44, or you hate reading.

Nghtgnt:
Remember, Verhoven didn't even read the book...

He didn't read the book?! Oh god! This is why our culture sucks. It's 288 pages, it would have taken him an afternoon!

Okay, I'll play:

50) I know quite a few people that can't watch their entry drug anime anymore, myself included. This might come up less if new material would pop up more often (seriously, write an original plot for a video game alreay).

48) I do think fans forget how old some of these movies are and how much cultural shift has happened.

45) We'll see how the next two work out, but the first movie sure covered a lot of that book.

43) You'd almost think some internet blowhard got people overly defensive by acting as if giving fan opinions any credibility would ruin the meduim.

41) Admittedly, most of us aren't fans of paying $60 for a movie that occasionaly lets us shoot things because the auteur in question can't make a go of it in the film industry.

40) It's not tradition. It's we're afraid of what they'll say.

38) Anyone that says this must be required to provide an original idea. Put up or shut up. (same logic applies to this list. You have an open topic opinion show so how about you put out some new topics for us to rage over instead of reading wikipedia history of a comic character more often)

37) What, people can't look crap up on wikipedia?

35) The counter arguement will go away when the root arguement stops being used. (fresh hit to that reset button)

27) funny, I think the new films stank for sticking to close to the original: aka most of the cast existing as a name to sell a toy while fighting over some macguffin.

25) This compalint is as repetitive as the show. How ironic.

Prediciton for next week: Han shoots first has to be in the top five.

ex275w:

Machine Man 1992:

Aiddon:

41. More like "Because JAPAN likes cutscenes they ruin games" Though no one has the balls to actually just ADMIT they're a bigot

Fuck you. You're basically Bob; a complete japanophile who takes "I don't like Japanese games" as a sign of racism.

There are plenty of reasons to not like Japanese games: the heavy cutscene to gameplay ratio, the annoying anime stereotypes, the complete lack of subtlety, the ridiculous art design (though not always the case) and I'm sure dozens of other reasons someone who regularly plays games from japan can post.

So stop projecting so hard.

It sounds like you're somewhat bigoted sir. Are you only referring to shitty JRPG's? (Baiscally not made by ATLUS or Monolith)
Since I don't see Mario, Megaman or Dark Souls having plenty of cut scenes.

Also Japanese games usually have better art design than western games, sure Bioshock and Fallout have a nice 50's aesthetic, but western games tend to look very alike, especially the First Person Shooters.

Okami looks like a umi-e painting, Paper Mario has the paper aesthetic and all 3D Zeldas ignoring Majora's Mask have a different look that you can identify each game with a glance.

Also games in general aren't very subtle, perhaps due to how game design forces things to be obvious. So that always applies to non-Japanese games.

Bigotry implies genuine hatred of a racial group or ethnicity. I just don't like the design...traditions? Conventions? What have you that (many) japanese games have. I hate anime, sure, but it's not because it comes from japan. One game I love and have had forever is Lost Planet. I played that game to death. And it was made by Capcom!

As for FPS's that "look alike", here's a few counterpoints: Half-Life 2, Borderlands, Bulletstorm, FEAR (debatable), Syndicate (I thought so at least), Killzone's 1,2,and 3, Hell even CoD4 was distinctive at the time of it's release for it's photo-realism. Team Fortress 2 can be described as "Counter Strike meets The Incredibles." All of these games can instantly be identified "with a glance".

50:Star Wars: Darth Bane should be the next Star Wars Trilogy made Movie.

25: Fable IV should not be kinect enabled.

1: GTA IV had no Mid-End Game! You cousin was killed for a quarter of a million and you can't even buy a penthouse with your cash.

"New Xbox Live Updates Guide" should not be labeled an Indie Game on xbox live.

Every Xbox update makes the system worse and over advertised.

Xbox live rates are going through the roof with more commercializm being stuffed into it.

Lost isn't that lost, when powerstreamed through on Netflix.

Doing situps and pushups in between games scores you the girls.

"Once does not simply, drop the ring into Mordor with Eagles."

Machine Man 1992:

ex275w:

Machine Man 1992:

Fuck you. You're basically Bob; a complete japanophile who takes "I don't like Japanese games" as a sign of racism.

There are plenty of reasons to not like Japanese games: the heavy cutscene to gameplay ratio, the annoying anime stereotypes, the complete lack of subtlety, the ridiculous art design (though not always the case) and I'm sure dozens of other reasons someone who regularly plays games from japan can post.

So stop projecting so hard.

It sounds like you're somewhat bigoted sir. Are you only referring to shitty JRPG's? (Baiscally not made by ATLUS or Monolith)
Since I don't see Mario, Megaman or Dark Souls having plenty of cut scenes.

Also Japanese games usually have better art design than western games, sure Bioshock and Fallout have a nice 50's aesthetic, but western games tend to look very alike, especially the First Person Shooters.

Okami looks like a umi-e painting, Paper Mario has the paper aesthetic and all 3D Zeldas ignoring Majora's Mask have a different look that you can identify each game with a glance.

Also games in general aren't very subtle, perhaps due to how game design forces things to be obvious. So that always applies to non-Japanese games.

Bigotry implies genuine hatred of a racial group or ethnicity. I just don't like the design...traditions? Conventions? What have you that (many) japanese games have. I hate anime, sure, but it's not because it comes from japan. One game I love and have had forever is Lost Planet. I played that game to death. And it was made by Capcom!

As for FPS's that "look alike", here's a few counterpoints: Half-Life 2, Borderlands, Bulletstorm, FEAR (debatable), Syndicate (I thought so at least), Killzone's 1,2,and 3, Hell even CoD4 was distinctive at the time of it's release for it's photo-realism. Team Fortress 2 can be described as "Counter Strike meets The Incredibles." All of these games can instantly be identified "with a glance".

Ok, you clarified your point, since your first post sounded somewhat bigoted, like you were lumping ALL Japanese games as one design convention, which really only applies for shitty JRPGs.

Ok, I really forgot about those First Person Shooters, especially Team Fortress 2, I was probably thinking about the spunkgargleweewees, especially the ones made by EA.

Do4600:

Nghtgnt:
Remember, Verhoven didn't even read the book...

He didn't read the book?! Oh god! This is why our culture sucks. It's 288 pages, it would have taken him an afternoon!

As I have heard the story, he didn't so much "not read the book" as he refused to read the book after getting a few pages in. (At a guess, it was either citizenship-through-[military-]service or the scene about part about participation medals that offended him.)

Or, the actual story, according to tcm.com, tossed out as an aside in their article: "The screenplay is credited to Edward Neumeier; Verhoeven, for his part, says he tried to read the novel but got bored and tossed it aside."
http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/152604|0/Starship-Troopers.html

Full disclosure: I haven't actually seen the Starship Troopers movie. Nor, while I wouldn't want to implement any of Heinlein's political ideas, do I have much of a desire to do so. (If you want out there politics and presently unacceptable but apparently progressive for their time social ideas, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Stranger in a Strange Land are go-to books.)

I'm guessing Bob still hasn't actually played ME3.

I came here for one thing and one thing only, Starship Troopers. While the film was more entertaining, and thought-provoking, the book was great in its own right because it featured the Mobile Infantry. It was entertaining, at least, to read about how the suits functioned and how they were deployed. The Mobile Infantry would go on to heavily influence Military Science Fiction, from Gundam to Halo.

Note: The links above show an in-depth analysis of the film which I implore you to watch. Quite frankly it's mind-blowing how much effort Verhoven and Neumier put into the film.

shintakie10:
I thought it was the other way around for Starship Troopers? The book was all about sayin how much better life would be in a fascist society where the only people who were allowed to have opinions are those who serve their planet. The movie makes a point to show how fuckin terrible that idea is.

Yes, and no, but mainly yes. It's up to interpretation really.

I appreciate the effort to remove these subjects in order to make conversations more interesting, especially the ones that very definitely feel like thruths, but I don't feel like life leaves a conversation the moment someone expresses their frustrations with something. It's usually new to them, and it's good to air one's grievances.

If the #1 omegawyrm posted ends up taking first place, I get that. For the rest of the list, I'd guess something along the lines of "Oh Japan", but that's just my personal annoyance.

I saw Ghostbusters when I was a kid (the first thing that injected fear into me as a child in fact). I also saw Batman: The Animated Series, Batman (Tim Burton version), The Tick, Fellowship of the Ring (middle school), all the movies in the Disney and Pixar Renaissance, Jurassic Park, Braveheart, The Matrix, Hook, and the Princess Bride. Gee, what a bunch of shitty things that I only liked cause I was a kid.

I can't tell what Bob is trying to do in this article. I mean, if they're boring arguments, then why do we have to know about them? And since they all seem so controvertial, won't this create a boring flame war?

Oh well, I don't understand Japanese culture enough to like it, I never saw the allure of the Simpsons, and I never read Starship Troopers. Basically, I'm not enough of a nerd/geek yet to worry about most of this. Although I must say that I enjoyed Adam West's interpretation of Batman.

And a guess for one of next week's opinions- "Firefly/Invader Zim/other cancelled show was the best show ever, it never should have been cancelled." But it was, there's nothing you can do about it. And now we'll never know how good it really would have been.

AlexanderPeregrine:
* George Lucas is evil (so guaranteed to be number one, I bet he'll bump it down the list just to surprise people).

I'll take that bet. What are your terms?

AlexanderPeregrine:
* Hatred of Twilight, Nickelback, Big Bang Theory, Call of Duty, insert other popular things with a huge divide between mainstream and "geek" opinion here.

But... the Big Bang Theory is geek. It's 100%, un-watered-down, woah!-I-recognize-this-from-my-life geekishness. It's also mainstream, but then geek stuff has been entering into the mainstream for a long time now, especially in Hollywood. Just look at "Lord of the Rings" or "The Social Network", not to mention "The Walking Dead" and "Game of Thrones".

AlexanderPeregrine:
* Where is Half-Life (Episode) III?

This one just matters, OK? Its historic background can claim great responsibility in giving games depth and fidelity. The fact that it's highly anticipated is only logical when viewed in such an emotional context.

AlexanderPeregrine:
* MTV doesn't play music any more.

Who the hell watches MTV anymore?

erttheking:
I can't help but feel that Movie Bob is being just a little bit...ah...what's the word I'm looking for...judgmental?

Another word you might be looking for is 'lazy'. As in, so lazy as to substitute a long string of empty opinions with little justification as 'content' that users would care about or that he might be 'paid' for.

I agree with the "no talking thing"

like with Samus Arran, its not that she shouldn't talk, she could talk but its quite easy to fuck that up (other M)

would this list be glorifying those claims

just saying

A lot of FFVII mentions in this thread, and by an odd coincidence, #50 applies to that as well...

Nghtgnt:

funksobeefy:

Shameless:
Wait, how Starship Troppers is better than the book ? I need people the explain that.

Both are great, I loved the book. But its so much different. They fight the same bugs, but where the movie is more propaganda the book deals with citizenship and responsibility to the goverment

Correct, they are both so different that realistically you can't compare the two. Remember, Verhoven didn't even read the book...

shintakie10:

... and neither apparently have you (or you completely missed significant points). I would recommend you read the book or at least read up on Heinlein.

Wow, I'm glad this is being discussed. I have never heard anyone say that the movie was better than the book. It's so bizarre.

Of course, the folks who think the book is about fascism being awesome must have gotten that opinion about it before they read it or (gasp!) maybe didn't really read it?!

MovieBob, why? You've escalated the deterrence of The Escapist forum's members into a full scale HOT WAR!

IT's like you wanted to cause controversy among the commu- OOOOOOOHHHHHHH.

Katatori-kun:

erttheking:
I can't help but feel that Movie Bob is being just a little bit...ah...what's the word I'm looking for...judgmental?

Another word you might be looking for is 'lazy'. As in, so lazy as to substitute a long string of empty opinions with little justification as 'content' that users would care about or that he might be 'paid' for.

Huh, never thought about it that way. Yeah, that too.

Aiddon:

41. More like "Because JAPAN likes cutscenes they ruin games" Though no one has the balls to actually just ADMIT they're a bigot

Not gonna lie, that's one of the most bizarre and unfair generalizations that I've seen in awhile.

This article. What crawled up Movie Bob's butt? Holiday blues?

Well this is by far the most pretentious thing I've read in months... what a waste... completely devoid of any actual intelligent debate against popular opinions... and just a load of self righteous sarcasm and hipster ideology without the comfort of irony or ridiculous unintentional self parody... just frustrating to read all the way through...

Not surprised the answers you gave are as boring as the opinions. The only time this doesn't look immature is when you solve things, so if you can't do it then you just make it worse.

Vault101:
I agree with the "no talking thing"

like with Samus Arran, its not that she shouldn't talk, she could talk but its quite easy to fuck that up (other M)

Holy hard nipples! That's the first time I've seen someone say that besides me. Time to celebrate with a coke.

I think I'm going to like next week's post.

1. The Simpsons never really got bad. It's just that the ratio of mediocre episodes to good ones got worse over time, until most of the episodes in recent Simpsons seasons are completely forgettable (even if they have a few laughs). Having watched a bunch of them, what's interesting is that the Simpsons rarely has actually -bad- episodes that completely suck.

2. The rib-poking at Dragonball Z is mostly affectionate. I love it, even if it's ridiculous and so bloated that parts are near unwatchable.

3. Starship Troopers The Movie and The Book are just different. One is a parody of a fascist society, the other is a thought experiment channeled through a young man being molded into a soldier (it's important to keep that in mind when reading it - he's not 100% reliable).

4. The Virus in Independence Day might actually makes some sense . . . if you don't watch the extended cut where they ruin any hope of justifying it. They've been studying the spaceship for 40+ years, to the point where they managed to integrate it into their computer systems. It's also possible that the Aliens are a "hive" civilization (implied by the novelization), where the idea of someone accessing information and files they're not given authorization for from inside the external firewalls would be completely unthinkable.

5. With comic book continuity, it's more about how annoying it is that they even try. Why not just re-boot characters every time they change authors, after winding up the departing authors' storylines?

6. It would be pretty cool if Link spoke - I've always imagined Johnny Yong Bosch (who voiced Ichigo in Bleach) as his english-language voice actor. I can see why they don't do that, though - it would turn him into an independent character instead of a player-surrogate.

7. Shymalan gets way too much hate. All of his movies except the The Happening had great atmosphere and tension, and occasionally some thought-provoking ideas. Sure, the plots were often loaded with holes, but people give a pass to other movies with that if they like the characters and mood (just look at Star Trek 2009).

ccdohl:

Nghtgnt:

funksobeefy:

shintakie10:

Wow, I'm glad this is being discussed. I have never heard anyone say that the movie was better than the book. It's so bizarre.

Of course, the folks who think the book is about fascism being awesome must have gotten that opinion about it before they read it or (gasp!) maybe didn't really read it?!

Its quite hard to read a book that joyfully holds up a system where you have to serve in the military or your voice doesn't mean shit.

Link isn't allowed to speak with more than sounds and grunts for 2 reasons:

1) Every time they have tried, I wanted to punch him in the face (this from a guy with a Zelda tattoo)

2) Because you are supposed to be Link. If he had gotten a voice in the past, he would be Link, an character you guide. However, they have chosen to leave him voiceless (in my opinion) because he is supposed to be someone you play as. You can't play as someone if every time the talk, you want to hurt them.

Here's one I foresee coming: "my/your/this person's opinion matters and you should listen to it"

Also, "i have the ability to predict the future and I am already right"
... dang, foiled again.

I find this entire list pretentious, self-gratifying and generally boring.

Sounds like "Mainstream opinions are boring" or just a list of opinions Bob finds stupid.

erttheking:
I can't help but feel that Movie Bob is being just a little bit...ah...what's the word I'm looking for...judgmental? Yeah kind of. Also Movie Bob, a compliant being "boring" doesn't make it any less valid. I'm not going to shut up after we hit a magical number of times we're allowed to say something before it is deemed boring and generic.

Very, very true. A valid complaint is a still a valid complaint, whether it's the first time it's made or the thousandth.

Also, that is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that Starship Troopers the movie was better than the book. It boggles the mind.

Interesting thing about that Dragon Ball Z one. I loved it as a young kid, but when I hit about 12 I started to think less of it because of the yelling, powerlevels, etc. But as I've gotten older I've actually wrapped back around to liking it quite a bit. I love the whole father-son "passing the torch" thing that happens as the Cell arc progresses, for example, that's great drama. It's not a great show, but the only real complaint I still have with it is the padding, which they cut down a lot of in the recent re-release.

funksobeefy:
I didnt know that Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption and Forrest Gump were both up for the same Oscar. That must have been a crazy year

Shameless:

If I recall the bugs in the book are also more technologically advanced and have things like plasma cannon for the warriors instead of just massive plasma bugs?

But yeah, both are great but have massively different appeal.

shintakie10:

ccdohl:

Nghtgnt:

Its quite hard to read a book that joyfully holds up a system where you have to serve in the military or your voice doesn't mean shit.

Okay then. Don't read it. Nobody cares.

But I would caution you against trying to describe the nature of books that you haven't read in the future. It might make you look sort of foolish.

ccdohl:

shintakie10:

ccdohl:

Okay then. Don't read it. Nobody cares.

But I would caution you against trying to describe the nature of books that you haven't read in the future. It might make you look sort of foolish.

I don't normally say this, but honestly I feel I've read enough opinions on the subject of the Starship Troopers book in order to make a valid opinion on the nature of the book.

I assume its roughly the same for 90% of the people who bitch about the nature of the Twilight books.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here