Zero Punctuation: ZombiU

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

ZombiU

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews ZombiU.

Watch Video

ZP meets the Wii U...and thus a new era of strife began...

I was really excited for it. It was one of the only reasons I wanted to buy a WiiU. At least I didn't get ahead of myself.

I really want to try out NintendoLand, though. Seems fun.

"... especially if you're scared by those big furry hats, and why wouldn't you be."

Funniest review in quite a while, actually. Maybe it's because of Yahtzee's pronunciation of some of those words...

Still gonna get me a WiiU when I've got some money. If only because I still love Nintendo...

I want to like the Wii U. Just needs to get some games I actually wanna play on the thing first. If I ever do pick one up, I will try this game though.

Hang on, he said bad things about the Nintendo?

LET THE FLAMEWARS BEGIN!

At least they're trying to do something different. Still not buying at WiiU though and not because I still think that tea tray of a controller is poorly designed.

As a reformed PC gamer who couldn't give a fuck about the console wars, I really am starting to wonder if there is ANYTHING Nintendo can do to satisfy Yahtzee.

I like the line about "inventing solutions" for non-existent problems. On a whole, though, I'm waiting to see how the WiiU performs over the next 6 months before deciding to get one or not. I'm pretty happy with my 360 for the moment.

GoddyofAus:
As a reformed PC gamer who couldn't give a fuck about the console wars, I really am starting to wonder if there is ANYTHING Nintendo can do to satisfy Yahtzee.

Provide a chocolate-milk-lactating-stripper factory, complete with en suite disposal facility for once he's finished with them?

That or committing sepuku.

"Staff of Wisden" made me titter, and I don't even understand cricket.

I think one of the things that bothers me about ZombieU is a lack of consistency. Going off of gameplay vids and LPs, it seems odd how sometimes a shot to the head will insta-kill a zombie, while another zombie may take 3-5 shots to the head before going down. Same with the cricket bat, I assume that if half of a zombie's brain is gone then said zombie should probably stop moving, not act as f nothing happened.

The novelty of this episode comes from the impersonations.

Yahtzee doesn't like the Wii U? No shocker there. Pretty sure there is nothing Nintendo could do to make him like them. Oh well I'm off to play ZombiU again.

I was waiting to see what he made of the whole look-at-your-controller-for-inventory-management thing. In most games it certainly would be annoying and pointless, but since this is survival horror, this sort of thing accomplishes the all-important task of keeping the tension high since having to look away from the TV screen gives the zombies a chance to sneak up on you, making even navigating a menu a something of a nervous prospect. Maybe Yahtzee figured that ZombiU doesn't deserve a thumbs-up for it because he figures every other WiiU game is going to shoehorn in touchscreen-based menu systems for far less useful reasons... which will probably soon prove 100% correct as the WiiU's library expands.

At any rate, great review, and well worth the time spent in anticipation of it. Let Yahtzee's epic struggle against the WiiU begin.

Also, it appears that the Wii U is not as powerful as the PS3 even in spite of being more powerful then the Wii.

How is it even possible to release a next gen console that is less powerful then a LAST gen console?

I get the Wii not being as powerful as the PS3 or the Xbox 360 but the Wii U?

This is lame.

Yea yea graphics aren't everywhing bla blah blah and whatever.

Surprised to hear that the game is good. To bad the combat sounds a bit unbalanced.
Hope Nintendo finds better ways to use the Wii U controller soon.

Good show Yahtzee. Have a good break!

Got this console for myself for xmas.

Seems like he didn't really like the console itself but he didn't seem to have anything against the game.

The controller thingy is loaded with a charger I hope. Otherwise the cost for batteries is going to be pretty damn high.

So wait, Yahtzee actually likes the game?

And I have to disagree with the semi-transparent inventory. I hate that shit. It's never transparent enough or it's too transparent. And the point of it was that you can only focus one or the other. To keep the tension up.

"Staff of Wisden"
Well this cricket lover can officially die happy.
For the record, Wisden (aka the cricketer's Bible) is a book published annually that features all the matches, stats, reports and commentary from the previous year. They are geeky on a level that not even your average gamer can quantify. I have 17 of them and love them with all my heart.

Did Yahtzee just use Dark Souls as a positive example?

What brought upon this shift I wonder?

Honestly, when I saw some gameplay, I was literally thinking "Why does that have to be on the... thing they call controller? A normal GUI would have done the thing as well". Quite a few times, actually.
Of course, they COULD have done something with the controller that only works via controller-screen but I can't think of ANYTHING a GUI couldn't do, to be honest.

Wait, there are still people who think the British Monarch is an active political entity?

"suicide Bengal tigers"

I love that part

I was on the fence about whether to get this game or not, I decided against it and got NSMB U instead, even now, I still don't know if I made the right decision, NSMB U is actually challenging, either that or I'm just terrible at platformers now.

Stabby Joe:
Wait, there are still people who think the British Monarch is an active political entity?

'Muricans. 'Muricans everywhere.

Casual Shinji:

I wouldn't say it was particularly positive. He was just saying that it kills your character. Unless I've missed something here....

Casual Shinji:

He's reviewing a Nintendo game and he has to compare something in favor to it apparently.

OuendanCyrus:
I was on the fence about whether to get this game or not, I decided against it and got NSMB U instead, even now, I still don't know if I made the right decision, NSMB U is actually challenging, either that or I'm just terrible at platformers now.

No, it's much like with Mario Galaxy, where the guys at Nintendo essentially said "We do listen to players saying the previous game is too easy and make you regret saying it."

By the way, did anyone else notice that starting with the Super Nintendo and with the exception of the Gamecube, Nintendo likes to have most the game titles for the given console to fit the theme of the console? For the Super Nintendo, many of the titles had "Super" attached to them, for the Nintendo 64 they had 64 attached on the the end, the Wii had Wii tacked on to the end, and now with the Wii U they're haveing U tacked on to the end.

Yet another funny video from Yangtze Croshaw. :P

sorry Yahtzee that they decided to have a real time, realistic interpretation of things. I am also sorry that they didn't give you the Bethesda menu system where you almost need a road map just to find where you put that health potion.

"Paper, scissor, stone, cricket bat"- Best game ever

Guffe:
Got this console for myself for xmas.

Seems like he didn't really like the console itself but he didn't seem to have anything against the game.

The controller thingy is loaded with a charger I hope. Otherwise the cost for batteries is going to be pretty damn high.

it charges, but A it darn slow, so for every 3 hour gaming expect 1 hour doing something else B it done via itīs own electric cable, not via a cable between the console and controller, but if thatīs bad or good thatīs up to you.

remmus:

Guffe:

The controller thingy is loaded with a charger I hope.

it charges, but A it darn slow, so for every 3 hour gaming expect 1 hour doing something else B it done via itīs own electric cable, not via a cable between the console and controller, but if thatīs bad or good thatīs up to you.

You can have it on charge while playing I hope, that should allow one to play a bit longer?

I very seldom do 3 hour runs anyway but who knows, sometimes I find games in which 5 hour runs won't be enough, those are pretty rare thou.

GodzillaGuy92:
I was waiting to see what he made of the whole look-at-your-controller-for-inventory-management thing. In most games it certainly would be annoying and pointless, but since this is survival horror, this sort of thing accomplisheses the all-important task of keeping the tension high since having to look away from the TV screen gives the zombies a chance to sneak up on you, making even navigating a menu a something of a nervous prospect. Maybe Yahtzee figured that ZombiU doesn't deserve a thumbs-up for it because he figures every other WiiU game is going to shoehorn in touchscreen-based menu systems for far less useful reasons... which will probably soon prove 100% correct as the WiiU's library expands.

At any rate, great review, and well worth the time spent in anticipation of it. Let Yahtzee's epic struggle against the WiiU begin.

I dunno, when something makes me look away from the screen during a fight or whatever it's just irritating and immersion-breaking, not more tense.

That's the problem with a "serious" zombie game like this, after you introduce them you can't really add anything new exept for more intense encounters. You can't introduce, say, fly-men once you've established this is a "conventional" zombie outbreak. This is probibly why Resident Evil made it aobut bio-weapons, to add giant snakes and lizard-men giving the game some variaty.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here