Zero Punctuation: ZombiU

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

canadamus_prime:

nima55:

canadamus_prime:

I've never heard anyone say it feels good ergonomic and natural so no they don't exist. ___
Besides it's not as though I'm slamming it into the ground, but I do think the controller is poorly designed.

http://kotaku.com/5960459/10-things-about-the-wii-u-that-were-loving-or-hating
Look guys! a not existant website

Ok ok, now I know they exist. Sheesh! ___
For fuck sakes, why is everyone picking on me? It's not as though I'm a hater or anything. Hell I used to love Nintendo, almost fanatically so, but I'm not going to ignore what I think are questionable design decisions. And as I said on another thread, I'm a hell of a lot more forgiving than most. So get off my back already!

Sorry I just saw you comment and assumed you were by your tone. I bear no ill will

nima55:

canadamus_prime:

nima55:

http://kotaku.com/5960459/10-things-about-the-wii-u-that-were-loving-or-hating
Look guys! a not existant website

Ok ok, now I know they exist. Sheesh! ___
For fuck sakes, why is everyone picking on me? It's not as though I'm a hater or anything. Hell I used to love Nintendo, almost fanatically so, but I'm not going to ignore what I think are questionable design decisions. And as I said on another thread, I'm a hell of a lot more forgiving than most. So get off my back already!

Sorry I just saw you comment and assumed you were by your tone. I bear no ill will

That's alright. You'll have to pardon my frustration. I've often defended Nintendo through all the hatred the Wii received and now that I've quite calmly and rationally criticized the design of their Wii U controller I'm getting attacked for it.

Whoah a very positive review for the game. A reminder of past failures. And the only failing is a shortness of content and it was more tour Britain.

Seems Zero Punctuation and the WiiU will be a gleeful matchup.
Seems he's laying off the negativity or just encountering more stuff he likes of late.

Hardcore_gamer:
Also, it appears that the Wii U is not as powerful as the PS3 even in spite of being more powerful then the Wii.

How is it even possible to release a next gen console that is less powerful then a LAST gen console?

I get the Wii not being as powerful as the PS3 or the Xbox 360 but the Wii U?

This is lame.

Yea yea graphics aren't everywhing bla blah blah and whatever.

Actually if you play a PS3 or 360 port on the WiiU it's possible to experience framerate issues and other such bugs. Ashens did a test run with Assassin's creed and Batman city and he experienced jerky animations and some minor glitches and not just in game but in cutscenes as well.

I'm surprised he didn't tear into this game. Usually things that slightly bother me are what really tick him off.

To me it was an ambitious game that got very stiff on the execution. The inventory management using the second screen was fine, but the scanning features made me want to punch the screen.

The lack of any other melee weapons was surprisingly my biggest annoyance, you get the cricket bat and nothing else. I don't expect Left4Dead variations, but it felt very lazy.

It's not a horrible game, but I didn't like it.

Bindal:

Negatempest:

Bindal:

You know how they also could have achieved the "loose sight of surrounding"-thing? BY HAVING A FREAKING GUI ON THE SCREEN BLOCKING SAID VIEW!

Yes, we as gamers want more ****/stuff on the screen. So if I get this straight. You want alot of clutter on the main screen? I'm glad for the second screen so the clutter doesn't block my field of view. And yes I have played so many games like GoW, Bayonetta, DMC, CoD where the clutter on the screen hid enemy movement and got me killed a few times. I, at the time, accepted it as the limits of a console. Now that we got a console with a second screen on the controller to free up the screen more...you complain? A clutter-free screen video game is hard to come by, and the Wii-U is helping to fix that and I couldn't be happier.

Ever heard "Inventory Screen"? Something that every game ever used? And nobody complained about it "blocking the screen"? In fact, it is 100% possible to keep the screen clear in normal gameplay and still have a GUI for your oh-so-wanted 'immersion by blocking Line of Vision'. Dead Space did that already! Absolutely no GUI whatsoever during gameplay UNTIL you open your inventory. Similar to a lot of other games (some had some few GUI, some had none - BUT ALL WORKED)

My point isn't that the Dead Space GUI shouldn't exist. My point is that such a GUI should NOT be the only choice. If an option can be made to enhance gameplay, even though it is not necessary, it can or should exist. For example, the rumble feature is not even necessary at all for gameplay, but for some of us adds to the game. You have to have suspension of disbelieve that the rumble from the action on the screen is actually felt by the player. So after many uses of the rumble feature, it has been fine tuned to the hardware that we know of today.

PunkRex:
"Come and join us, the master will be home soon"
Anyone else have a awkward boner?... yeah, me neither...

OT: Being a Londoner this game intrigues me from the possibility of lolz.

Also, I hope he reveiws Rayman Legends.

Am I the only one who thought of "Manos: The Hands of Fate" When he did that whole "Master will be home soon" thing?

He actually sort of liked it? HE ACTUALLY SORT OF LIKED IT!

GodzillaGuy92:
I was waiting to see what he made of the whole look-at-your-controller-for-inventory-management thing. In most games it certainly would be annoying and pointless, but since this is survival horror, this sort of thing accomplishes the all-important task of keeping the tension high since having to look away from the TV screen gives the zombies a chance to sneak up on you, making even navigating a menu a something of a nervous prospect. Maybe Yahtzee figured that ZombiU doesn't deserve a thumbs-up for it because he figures every other WiiU game is going to shoehorn in touchscreen-based menu systems for far less useful reasons... which will probably soon prove 100% correct as the WiiU's library expands.

I'm just curious what happens to the gimmicks like looking away from the screen for inventory stuff if the player is currently streaming the game to the controller. Will these games not support streaming or will the devs implement the mechanic on the controller in a way that undermines the use of 2 screens?

Analogies of monarchy and just the entire show was great. Best Zero Punctuation of the year, I think! :D

madhousezack:

PunkRex:
Anyone else have a awkward boner?... yeah, me neither...

OT: Being a Londoner this game intrigues me from the possibility of lolz.

Also, I hope he reveiws Rayman Legends.

Am I the only one who thought of "Manos: The Hands of Fate" When he did that whole "Master will be home soon" thing?

Wait, that wasn't what he was referencing?

Brilliant video, Yahtzee! You used such hilarious imagery, like the Mii's and talking about "The Master" and the swears/exclamations had me laughing hard!

Was that a Yorkshire accent?

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha

Thanks for the early Christmas present Yahtzee, you charismatic gift giver!

Well Yahtzee, while I really enjoy your videos and you are always spot on I gotta pull the "Duh" card here. Wii U by and large is for the casual gaming experience. My friends and I played Nintendo land during finals week with a brand new Wii U. Just plug that stupid thing in the wall and experience friend fueled hilarity for hours. I wont argue any specifics (Wii motion plus is BS) However, if you actually want to accomplish anything useful......well thats like comparing an Ipad to your at home supercomputer desktop monster. Its just not really the purpose and its our job as consumers to make sure Nintendo gets that message with an erect middle finger.

Sooo did Yahtzee quit? It's now 2pm Thursday and there's no sign of him (or any other new Escapist content at that).
Should we be panicking!?

Caffeine_Bombed:
Sooo did Yahtzee quit? It's now 2pm Thursday and there's no sign of him (or any other new Escapist content at that).
Should we be panicking!?

no it's his annual holiday break. but if you still want to panick , thats cool. you can do whatever you like

thibaut95:

Caffeine_Bombed:
Should we be panicking!?

no it's his annual holiday break. but if you still want to panick , thats cool. you can do whatever you like

I will. I feel a bit of obligatory panicking is fine when there's no new Yahtzee!

...... it's not very often that you can use the word "fortnight".

TomLikesGuitar:

PunkRex:

TomLikesGuitar:
The Wii U's controller is the stupidest think I've ever seen. People thought the Wii's controller would be "revolutionary" and the Wii was just a shovelware box. I'd give it a year before we see the same exact thing from the Wii U.

1. No one in America actually thinks that.

2. I'd rather be in a country where people think that a Queen should do something than be in a country that is backwards enough to still have a Queen, stupid enough to not have her do anything, and shallow enough to publicly make her and her family's affairs into pop culture... but that's just me. ;)

Ohoho, country dick waggerling is it *gets out 'Bush' portfolio*

Seriously though guy/gal, the only peeps who give it the 'God save the queen' thing anymore are proberly much akin to the 'God bless America' lot. Shes like the relative no one likes, we only really put up with her at Christmas. Shes good for coaxing tourists away from their money though.

Hey, I'm just defending an attack on America with a legit point.

America is a huge place filled with everyone from geniuses to idiots... just like every other country, but we get shit on the most, and eventually you hit a breaking point.

Hell, America is even harder to generalize about because it's got so many people and so many different ones at that.

What attack on America? seriously there wasn't one until you waded in with your stereo type like response,
Muricans. 'Muricans everywhere <------ i don't really consider that a decent slant.

canadamus_prime:
At least they're trying to do something different. Still not buying at WiiU though and not because I still think that tea tray of a controller is poorly designed.

Exactly how is it poorly designed? It's physical design is quite nice, it fits into your hands quite comfortably. It could be quite cool for a few things, like a local multi-player. Say you're and your friends are playing poker and you can hide your hand, or that Luigi's Mansion mini-game on Nintendoland when you're a ghost on the GamePad but they can't see you on the big screen and you have to hunt them down. It's quite effective in making your friend scared shitless. Apart from that, the Gamepad is just a normal controller with an iPad screen in the middle of it.

charliesbass:

canadamus_prime:
At least they're trying to do something different. Still not buying at WiiU though and not because I still think that tea tray of a controller is poorly designed.

Exactly how is it poorly designed? It's physical design is quite nice, it fits into your hands quite comfortably. It could be quite cool for a few things, like a local multi-player. Say you're and your friends are playing poker and you can hide your hand, or that Luigi's Mansion mini-game on Nintendoland when you're a ghost on the GamePad but they can't see you on the big screen and you have to hunt them down. It's quite effective in making your friend scared shitless. Apart from that, the Gamepad is just a normal controller with an iPad screen in the middle of it.

Well I admit I haven't actually tried using one, but it doesn't look very ergomically designed and I think the analog sticks should be at the bottom and not at the top. Also I think it's about twice the size that it needs to be even with the touch screen, which I don't object to by the way.

geier:

I laughed so hard at this sentence, i will download the video, rip the audio from it, cut this sentence out and use it as ringtone on my cell phone !

If you did, would you share it? I'd love to have that as my text message tone. :)

The funniest bit for me was when he started talking northern or Yorkshire, I listened to it a few times and laughed so hard.

well i have seen that vedio and really this was very nice i really like this vedio.nice good work you have done.
Carpentersville Locksmith

I'd like a remake of this game based on Yahtzee's novel "Jam".

...I'd buy it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or