Reel Physics: True Lies - Motorcycle Jump

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

True Lies - Motorcycle Jump

Would you prefer to jump off of a building with a motorcycle or a horse?

Watch Video

Still loving the episodes guys, I'm really glad that you have been able to maintain the quality of the first episodes. Too often on internet shows, there's a really polished pilot and then a large drop in quality.

Good to see the SI system being put to good use, thanks for listening to feedback.
You guys are doing awesome stuff, a great addition to the escapist.

How big would the car from back to the future if we assume it needs 1.2 gigawatts of electricity (Jigawatts is another form of pronouncing of gigawatts).

But would the horse's neck have survived the jolt of Arnold Schwarzenegger hanging from it?

ReelPhysics:
*Snip*

And you guys should really get a custom avatar at some point.

DVS BSTrD:
But would the horse's neck have survived the jolt of Arnold Schwarzenegger hanging from it?

That's what I was thinking. That sort of sudden downwards jolt on the bit would probably pull the horse's jaw right out. It certainly wouldn't be able to hold Arnie's weight while he dangles over the side of a building.

A horse is smarter than Arnold....
Surprising? You be the judge.

I should probably start showing this series to my dad

MrCollins:
Still loving the episodes guys, I'm really glad that you have been able to maintain the quality of the first episodes. Too often on internet shows, there's a really polished pilot and then a large drop in quality.

Good to see the SI system being put to good use, hanks for listening to feedback.
You guys are doing awesome stuff, a great addition to the escapist.

Thanks very much for your great feedback! We really do try to make each episode unique and interesting in their own way. You guys have been great with your amazing response so far to the show and we look forward to reading all of the comments and suggestions each week.

Look for the SI/Metric results to start being displayed and sometimes verbalized in all future episodes. We definitely take all of your suggestions into account to make the show the best it can be.

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Great episodes.
Also love the bloopers at the end of each ep, you seem to enjoy what you're doing at least.
I'll need to think of a movie stunt to suggest...
Back next week :P

Suggestion:

Death Race

Specifically, how mobile those cars could actually be with all their weaponry attached, and in cases where it's known, how much slower a vehicle will be due to gun recoil.

Just noticed this series today. Not too thrilled. It kind of feels like nit picking to be tearing apart jumping across rooftops. Oh and that ex500 is a wonderful machine. The design hasnt changed in years and is easy to work on and modify.

One movie science flop that really bugs me is the microwave generator in Batman Begins.

I am actually really enjoying this series. Maybe it's the math nerd part of me. but finding out that some of this stuff could actually work was very enjoyable.

I always enjoy the episodes and I am glad you guys are getting to do the show. I am always excited to see my Big Brother (Colby Dane) and of course Jason, prove or disprove some of the more interesting movie stunts.

Keep it up guys!

James Hare:
I always enjoy the episodes and I am glad you guys are getting to do the show. I am always excited to see my Big Brother (Colby Dane) and of course Jason, prove or disprove some of the more interesting movie stunts.

Keep it up guys!

Thanks for stopping by and supporting the show James!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Draconalis:
Suggestion:

Death Race

Specifically, how mobile those cars could actually be with all their weaponry attached, and in cases where it's known, how much slower a vehicle will be due to gun recoil.

Interesting idea... I will make a note of that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

You mentioned a ramp for the motorcycle; the horse is even able to generate (some) upward force all on its own!

So there's yet another reason the horse is more likely to make it! :)

drkchmst:
Just noticed this series today. Not too thrilled. It kind of feels like nit picking to be tearing apart jumping across rooftops. Oh and that ex500 is a wonderful machine. The design hasnt changed in years and is easy to work on and modify.

One movie science flop that really bugs me is the microwave generator in Batman Begins.

Heya drkchmst,
Sorry to hear you didn't care for the episode. I hope you go back and check out the other two episodes before this one and see if your opinion still holds true. I hope you stick with us and try the show for a few more episodes before you make up your mind. We're just getting started!

You're absolutely right about the EX500 being a great bike, good stuff!

As for the microwave generator, that's one of those "magical devices" where no matter how hard we try to explain that one, it will still be one of those super gadgets that breaks the laws of known physics for the sake of the movie. We try to stay away from sci-fi and superhero stuff as much as we can for that reason. But, you never know... I will check into that one and see what we come up with and if it is worthy of an episode.

Thanks for checking it out and for commenting on it.

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Guffe:
Great episodes.
Also love the bloopers at the end of each ep, you seem to enjoy what you're doing at least.
I'll need to think of a movie stunt to suggest...
Back next week :P

Thanks so much for your feedback! We really do have a little TOO much fun when we are filming... glad you enjoy the bloopers!
I look forward to your suggestions!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

A horse can accelerate faster than a motorbike?! Freaking awesome.

I started giggling like mad when you guys actually started calculating the horse's chances compared to the bike. My jaw dropped when you concluded that a horse, if not necessarily that horse, could have just barely made the jump. That... is... AWESOME!

Although I suspect that slamming into water from that high would still be very fatal to the horse. Ouch.

Still... Aeronautical Arnie Pony Kamen GOOOOOO!!!

It's nice to see another video on Tuesdays, they're always bland. Also it's educational, oh so much fun in physics. Sadly I don't want enough movies for me to know any of these. Also I now know the best escape vehicle, a horse! I'ma start a robbin' crew. Rob banks on horses.

Holy crap... 1 horsepower can fly better than over 100 horsepower! I would NEVER have guessed that!

But how well would a cheetah do? Just kidding. :) The poor thing probably couldn't carry Arnold. =P

I hadn't noticed this series before tonight. The genuine math and physics surprised me--and reminded me just how long it's been since I've seen the insides of a physics book.

This feeds my inner nerd.

I kept waiting for you to throw in at least an acknowledgement of the glass wall/fence the terrorist drove his motorcycle through. I'm not surprised that you didn't take it into consideration for your overall calculations but you might have at least tossed in a comment about your deliberately setting that to the side.

Science nerds--the ones who'll appreciate this series the most--are nothing but sticklers for details! ;)

i have no experience in horse psychology, but i don't think a horse would run at the side of a building unless it was trained to do so..
the idea that the horse would get more acceleration than the bike is a little flawed for a couple reasons, without a primed field ( hooves are scooping tools, like sand paddles ) and in the cold it's hooves / shoes are going to find almost no traction on that rooftop
..perhaps if you equip it with slicks and hoof warmers! :D

it however isn't surprising to me that the horse can out accelerate a bike given ideal circumstances
because counter intuitively the horse actually has an instantaneous power far exceeding the bike's drive train
( from standstill )
because it has to either drop it's clutch or do a burnout and then rack up the rpm to get anywhere close to it's
rated power, where power is a function of engine psi/revs

whereas the horse's muscles work extremely efficiently in a high torque environment by activating atp in the muscle tissue
there's some nice information available here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/galanis9.htm
it also explains why bodybuilders love creatine phosphate powders!

basically by burning calories at several times the usual rate a horse could be producing an instantaneous burst of power that greatly exceeds one horsepower, but quickly drops off when the available atp/oxygen in the deep muscle tissue is depleted for race trained horses have significantly less fat and more muscle than a police patrol horse it wouldn't
surprise me to see it has about 15-20 horsepower in instantaneous acceleration, but that would instantly drop off unlike
the engine that would continue to exert more pressure as the rpm rises from 0 and the tire syncs with the road surface

there was a very interesting experiment i saw recently with an Olympic runner versus a high spec bmw, and the runner
managed to keep up with that absurd power due to the same muscle efficiency and the ability to find traction and leverage
where the car simply spins it's wheels ( though he seems to have been outmatched when the car was warmed up! )

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/olympics/4320793/.html

also, happy new year escapists!

#Edit.. oh dear god why did i Google hoof warmers: http://www.whinnywarmers.com/how_to_put_on.html

>.> anyone have a race horse slick shoe link just to finish it off?

excellent episode guys i cant wait for what you have for us next week
loved seeing that my big pet peeve was fixed mad it much easier to put the masses and lengths involved into context

some of the calculations you used i would never of thought of using, is cool to see more advanced stuff than what i normally use its got me to start thinking on finishing my degree

I remember a scene in The Dark Knight in which Batman trips an 18 wheeler with a single wire. After, he slides under the flipping truck on a motorcycle. Could you possibly do that?

All we need to do is assume it's a point motorcycle in a vacuum... He'll make it no problem... Perhaps the film had mathematicians on staff instead of physicists.
Signed... A mathematician (I prefer numbers ninja)

the bloopers are awsome. love it. please do them for every episode.
and also thanks for using meters. at least i understood a tiny bit of the maths for a change. :D

what i like to know is about the station being flooded in the movie "deep blue sea". would it really stand there after being filled up with water and is the maths from this guy correct?
and maybe that scene when the water splashes in to the lab after this huge window breaks.

Draconalis:
Suggestion:

Death Race

Death Race (the remake and its direct-to-video sequels) is my favorite dumb movie series, but I think if you're going there you need to go for the more spectacular: whether or not the spike wall traps could potentially make the Dreadnaught flip and crash, or if something that massive at that speed would just plow through it.

Still loving the series, by the way.

The Lugz:
i have no experience in horse psychology, but i don't think a horse would run at the side of a building unless it was trained to do so..
the idea that the horse would get more acceleration than the bike is a little flawed for a couple reasons, without a primed field ( hooves are scooping tools, like sand paddles ) and in the cold it's hooves / shoes are going to find almost no traction on that rooftop
..perhaps if you equip it with slicks and hoof warmers! :D

Thanks for watching and for all of the thought you put into this response. Believe it or not, we had a TON of information about the traction problems of the horse on the roof. At some point though, the episode length becomes unmanageable and we have to cut some stuff.
We recognized the horse has instant traction on a dirt racetrack by digging it's hooves into the dirt and creating tiny mini launch ramps for each leg every time it takes a step. On a flat non-deformable surface like the roof of a building, the horse would have an EXTREMELY difficult time even getting started. So what we did is just cover the idea of the horse being able to make the jump under best circumstances. I mean, normally we don't find horses on rooftops of buildings anyways. ;) We just thought it was an interesting sidenote to throw in how the horse would make it when the motorcycle couldn't! HA!
Thanks for your great feedback!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Metalrocks:
the bloopers are awsome. love it. please do them for every episode.
and also thanks for using meters. at least i understood a tiny bit of the maths for a change. :D

what i like to know is about the station being flooded in the movie "deep blue sea". would it really stand there after being filled up with water and is the maths from this guy correct?
and maybe that scene when the water splashes in to the lab after this huge window breaks.

Thanks for staying through the credits to check out the bloopers. I like to throw those in to show you guys how much fun we have putting the show together every week. I was starting to think no one ever even watches those! Look for them at the end of every episode.

Ahhh, Deep Blue Sea... best Samuel L. Jackson scene ever! HA!
As for the water in the station, I will see what we can come up with on that one. There might not be enough information to go on for that one but you never know. I will add it to our list. Thanks for watching and supporting the show!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

doggie015:
Holy crap... 1 horsepower can fly better than over 100 horsepower! I would NEVER have guessed that!

One horse can generate more than 1 horsepower. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower#Horsepower_from_a_horse

Given a greater distance to accelerate the motorcycle would do better. As Terry Pratchett is fond of pointing out, a man can outrun a horse over a short enough distance. Part of this he attributes to those first few seconds of the horse having to sort out his legs.

Baron-connect4-von-smythe:
All we need to do is assume it's a point motorcycle in a vacuum... He'll make it no problem... Perhaps the film had mathematicians on staff instead of physicists.
Signed... A mathematician (I prefer numbers ninja)

Just reproduce the scene using a physics engine.

code ninja

Anakinnnn:

Thanks for staying through the credits to check out the bloopers. I like to throw those in to show you guys how much fun we have putting the show together every week. I was starting to think no one ever even watches those! Look for them at the end of every episode.

Ahhh, Deep Blue Sea... best Samuel L. Jackson scene ever! HA!
As for the water in the station, I will see what we can come up with on that one. There might not be enough information to go on for that one but you never know. I will add it to our list. Thanks for watching and supporting the show!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

thanks for reading and considering our comments :D

yes, the samual l jackson part is great. you had to see my mother how she jumped up when this happened. now that is some reel physics there :D. never saw a person getting up that quickly from a couch.

well, it was just an idea because i just watched it recently with my wife and i was wondering if this station really can hold that much water.

but maybe this might be easier:
when the shark chases the cook. how are his chances to escape the shark when he cant run properly in chest high water, wile a shark can swim very fast of course.

Best. Action. Movie. EVER!

Okay, not really. But as far as cheesy Arnold movies go it's easily one of the best, right up there with Terminator 2 and Total Recall. Glad to see you guys did an episode about it, although I think you missed a golden opportunity by going with the bike jump instead of, oh, I dunno, whether this is possible:

The Madman:
Best. Action. Movie. EVER!

Okay, not really. But as far as cheesy Arnold movies go it's easily one of the best, right up there with Terminator 2 and Total Recall. Glad to see you guys did an episode about it, although this I think you missed a golden opportunity by going with the bike jump instead of, oh, I dunno, where this is possible:

Who says we can't cover different scenes from the same movie? :)
Some of these movies, like True Lies, are just ripe for return episodes!!

Thanks for watching and we love the feedback!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook