Escapist Podcast: 072: Achievements, Replays & Voice Acting Vs Text

072: Achievements, Replays & Voice Acting Vs Text

This week, we discuss achievements and when we go back to reread, replay and rewatch movies, games and books. We also talk about which is better voice acting or text.

Watch Video

Clive Owen is Arthur in King Arthur, and the Directors Cut of Kingdom of Heaven is much better than the original. Also, it's not the alcohol content in Robotussin, it's the DXM. It's hallucinogen.

Also: Great Podcast as always.

Josh here sounds so much like Dr. Mark that I thought, "Wait, when did they bring in Dr. Mark?"

Another great podcast guys(and girl!).

Happy Holidays to everyone! :D

you mentioned costume quest when you were talking about christmas games that there is a DLC for costume quest thats christmas themed

For my favourite fantasy series; Katharine Kerr's Deverry books, the author did have a pretty clear idea where she was going, right from the start and figured she could get it done pretty quickly and tersly.

She wound up with fifteen books over 23 years. :P

klown:
Clive Owen is Arthur in King Arthur, and the Directors Cut of Kingdom of Heaven is much better than the original. Also, it's not the alcohol content in Robotussin, it's the DXM. It's hallucinogen.

That's it! It's Clive Owen and Gerard Butler I'm constantly getting mixed up. In my defense, they're both tall, handsome, brunette British men.

DrRockor:
you mentioned costume quest when you were talking about christmas games that there is a DLC for costume quest thats christmas themed

Yep, but it's still very Halloweeny - you bob for apples, switch costumes, trick or treat...it just feels awkward.

I'm not even 15 minutes in and horrified. You guys are the best damn show on the internets.

I feel the same way about re-playing games. Even in games like BioWare's Dragon age & Mass Effects, and Bethesda's Fallouts & Elder Scrolls I can't ever play them more than once. Even though those games are perfect for more than one playthrough.

Part of it is time, and the other part is I just don't really want to play them differently.

However, I do like playing a game again if it has different modes that really change how the game is. Like the different game modes in Metal Gear Soild 4. Also, the best mode is New Game Plus. Ya know, when they let you play the whole thing again, but you get to keep your level and all your cool stuff. That's the best.

As for the Voiced Player Charaters V.S. Text Player Charaters. While I agree that it can be annoying when your charater doesn't speak when everyone else does, I would prefer being able to say many things rather than hear a few things, but the points you all brought up are all true.

Good show! Glad the world didn't end today!

"The hooker is a practical effect." - Susan Arendt

Best out of context quote ever.

Brazil is also a movie that's utterly different on the Director's Cut. It's actually good and makes some sense (as much as sense in a Terrry Gilliam movie can be approached).

Also, having just re-watched Contagion, Justin coughing on the mike would really freak me out. Yeah...I'm just 10 minutes in, I don't know if he actually does later on.

Loving Josh here, the chaging cast is always a good moment.

EDIT: Forget Justin's flu, this gang's TV viewing habits are quite more disturbing.

Just so you know Susan, it rains a lot in Denmark. I haven't seen the Danish series, but it rains a lot in Denmark. Sorry to crush your dreams.

I was actually able to complete all tortu "interrogations" in X-Com
9 there were, but it was on normal difficulty
Sectoid leader was biggest pain in rear end to capture (besides Etheral, but that's obvious)

Also it seems kinda strange that Susan is all voiced or non-voiced person, since she's into TES games
(and 2 previous had every character voiced except main character)

I personally have a bit different thing
If game is fully voiced then protagonist must be either faceless and mute or with face and voice
That is why I find games like Doom3 and Halo so strange (one have cutscenes with character that is simply mute but with face, while another have character that speaks, but has no face)
Half-Life gets away from that by never showing Gordon's face in game
We have his face from other media and HL1 multiplayer skin
[and I really hope his actual voice is kinda crappy, like high pitched and weird, and that is the reason, why he is never speaking)

Anyway that was great podcast, I really hope seeing top [insert number here] of your favorite game this year.

Wow, someone else that does a tree throughout the year! Our family has the full size green that we decorate for Christmas every year, but we also have a small tree that we decorate for Mardi Gras, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, then back to Christmas.

blackrave:
I was actually able to complete all tortu "interrogations" in X-Com
9 there were, but it was on normal difficulty
Sectoid leader was biggest pain in rear end to capture (besides Etheral, but that's obvious)

Also it seems kinda strange that Susan is all voiced or non-voiced person, since she's into TES games
(and 2 previous had every character voiced except main character)

I personally have a bit different thing
If game is fully voiced then protagonist must be either faceless and mute or with face and voice
That is why I find games like Doom3 and Halo so strange (one have cutscenes with character that is simply mute but with face, while another have character that speaks, but has no face)
Half-Life gets away from that by never showing Gordon's face in game
We have his face from other media and HL1 multiplayer skin
[and I really hope his actual voice is kinda crappy, like high pitched and weird, and that is the reason, why he is never speaking)

Anyway that was great podcast, I really hope seeing top [insert number here] of your favorite game this year.

I really, really dislike most of the voice acting in the Elder Scrolls games. It would just be odd if it were missing, because the rest of the sound is so robust.

Thanks for being on time, Escapists!

I have to say I love the music that subtly comes in when a break is coming up.

You numbskulls. Whippets are nitrous oxide, not carbon dioxide. You can't get high of carbon dioxide.

And cocaine is not for dancing but for feeling superior to all of humanity, at least until your nose falls off.

So I wonder if the guy in the sent in question was worried that he was enabling other people a little too much. I mean, I'm on the same page on the moderation thing, but I had a whole bunch of friends as an undergrad who were super into games and d&d. The problem was that because they would talk all about games and d&d, it ended up enabling me in staying in and just doing nothing but games and stuff. So maybe the guy's doing fine, but by helping these kids, maybe he's worried he's spoiling these kids?

Anyways, now onto the IMPORTANT question! Best Christmas game? The Grinch that came out for Playstation. Soooo good.
Anyone else with me on this? :D

i just had a crazy thought Susan you should try reading the dialog options that your mute characters cant say out loud it might help you feel more immersed (bonus points for doing it in character). that is if you don't mind looking like a crazy person.

puff ball:
i just had a crazy thought Susan you should try reading the dialog options that your mute characters cant say out loud it might help you feel more immersed (bonus points for doing it in character). that is if you don't mind looking like a crazy person.

You should watch the Expo videos. Clearly I don't mind looking crazy. :)

Good suggestion, though, perhaps I'll try that.

Washington actually gets just as much rain a year as New York (we just have it more spread out) there is a sun in Seattle.

no one that room has a phone that can bring up IMDB. doesn't the audio person have a computer.

on the replaying games after you beat them. I find that I will do this from time to time, but only very open ended games. sometimes I will play a game on like normal, and then play the game again on like hard, or so, but many times I will not finish, and this is more along the lines of "how far can I get before I get frustrated. though I find that I pay less attention to the story on subsequent playthroughs as I am the type of person that if I start watching a movie part way through I almost can not watch it again because I start almost breaking it down completely. though combine this with my reading speed and I only really need to read a book once to absorb the details (though retention of minor details is only maybe a moneth)

on the dialog vs text: I feel that because I can be on the slower side of reading speed I can find sub-titles to be distracting especially if I can hear the words as well. because I will try and be at the speed of my reading instead of the talking, and because they expect you to be able to read subtitles at "regular" or faster speed that I will actually start to miss things that are being said.

Susan Arendt:

klown:

That's it! It's Clive Owen and Gerard Butler I'm constantly getting mixed up. In my defense, they're both tall, handsome, brunette British men.

It's a good defense, and I'll happily give a pass to you for mentioning King Arthur and "I liked it" in the same sentence. Too many people passed up that movie.

Yes!! I finished up my L4D2 campaign as the podcast was ending, It never works out that way. >Winning

On a more related note I'm curious how Susan's dislike of the silent protagonist (at least in DA:O) works in relation to the Elder Scrolls games.

Well... I was browsing reddit and I'm sorry to report that your million dollar 'all-year Christmas tree' idea has been taken. And copyrighted. And put before dragon's den.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6067ATwc80s#t=1557s
It was on /r/cringe

Enjoyed King Arthur with Clive Owen immensly. Have the Directors Cut here on DVD.

Good to hear that the new Total Recall is fun. I'm a huge fan of the first version and would have been disheartened to see a simple update. A new twist on the second and third act is exactly what I was hoping for.

Love re-reading books and re-watching old movies and shows, if I have the time. I've read Microserfs at least ten times or my favorite RPG book(Paranoia v2 rules) probably thirty times. The Jack Reacher series gets the odd re-read here and there(Cruise better be good in a good film). I replay some games occasionally. I love Just Cause 2 because the world is huge and beautiful, and screaming guards being roped in to fall for a mile off a building never gets old.

Real Xmas tree at my mothers house, collosally decorated by her, and there's always the "how does it look?" question. I've gotten better at answering that over the years.

Love both text and VO in games. Good to have the option to display subtitles, but rarely use them with VO. Doom3 and Bioshocks audio logs are my favorite.

I've also posted a smoother mix of the podcast again. Hot caramel for those who like it.
https://soundcloud.com/airon-extv/escapist-podcast-072-smoother

Merry Xmas ladies and gents

Malt-o-Meal Chocolate Marshmallow Mateys is childhood in a bag. I never ate anything like it as a kid but one bowl and I suddenly had the urge to pop in some Duck Hunt and watch He-Man.

On the topic of decorations, my halloween decorations are still out. A few uncut pumpkins, squashes, and corn stalks, with the christmas wreath on the door that lights up and sings. If they didn't melt, my Legend demon and bubblehead nurse jack-o-lanterns would be there right next to the wreath. I might finally toss the decorative veggies on the 26th, out into a field so they could grow into vines next summer.

Susan, is the author that pissed you off Melanie Rawn? If so I am guessing the never to be published book is "Captal's Tower" and I am similarly PO'ed. It has been years since I read the first two books and I will honestly say I thought it was a duology until I picked up another book a few years later and saw the title in the author's other works list. Kept an eye out for it for ten years until I found out on Goodreads that Rawn had stated that she had dropped it and had no intention of trying to finish it. Honestly makes me not want to buy another Rawn series until the entire thing has been published.

Ken Sapp:
Susan, is the author that pissed you off Melanie Rawn? If so I am guessing the never to be published book is "Captal's Tower" and I am similarly PO'ed. It has been years since I read the first two books and I will honestly say I thought it was a duology until I picked up another book a few years later and saw the title in the author's other works list. Kept an eye out for it for ten years until I found out on Goodreads that Rawn had stated that she had dropped it and had no intention of trying to finish it. Honestly makes me not want to buy another Rawn series until the entire thing has been published.

YES! So angry. It's just so rampantly unprofessional, and such an FU to the readers.

Susan Arendt:

Ken Sapp:

YES! So angry. It's just so rampantly unprofessional, and such an FU to the readers.

And sad as I really enjoyed the The Dragon Prince/Dragon Star trilogies and the first two books of the Exiles trilogy. The apologists on her own site forum and elsewhere don't help the matter any when they fling entitlement accusations against legitimate fans who would like to buy and read the third book of a trilogy that has been hanging in the wind for a decade plus...

I would have a hard time taking an author that could do that seriously were they to present a anything other than a completed script to me. Probably why she switched publishers...

The only other author I have read that left a series hanging was Robert Jordan and he has the legitimate excuse of having died before he could complete his epic even though he was writing and releasing on a fairly regular schedule until his demise. At least his family is allowing another author to take his notes and close out the series.

Started listening to the podcasts again after a long while. Been distracted by so many games lately! Forgot how much I love these things.

P.S. Finally you guys have discovered OCRemix! Good stuff on there.

I have been "that guy" since the late 90s, but I was way worse then. I genuinely never enjoyed being around other people as much as I loved games. I could only stand to be around 1 friend at a time, I didn't want to see them more than once a week, I had photophobia & hated being in the sunlight, I soloed through multiplayer games & never used chat, I almost failed the first college I went to because I was addicted to The Sims, when I got home from school or work it was straight to the computer, I got my entire family hooked on my habit (which turned out mentally beneficial for my grandmother), & when the company I worked for went under, I avoided looking for a job for a year because I was bored when I wasn't playing games.

Fortunately I hit a crash where games suddenly became boring & I had to move onto something else. But I didn't know what that something was, so I had to do lots of different things. One of them was hiking with friends or family, which we unfortunately can't do in the cold seasons.

Somehow the end result today is that I went from endless tedium to being unable to stay interested in anything for more than a short period of time. The gradual advancement of Adult Attention Deficit disorder seems like I downgraded from Office Monkey to Toddler. :p

As far as bookwritting goes and not knowing the end.
I wrote two books. One of them - the first one, i just "made it up as i went". And while i never got to be a celebrity, not that that was my aim, people whose opinion i cared about liked it. thats all i cared about anyway. the whole writting deal started with making up a "quick story" for a friend, turned out i continued writting till it ended up in a bigass sci-fi setting fantasy book. but the reality is, i made it up as i went, every day, and a person reading it would give her opinion every single day and that input actually made me fix and explain some things and made the book better.
so a alive book that evolves and goes where it goes without having an endgame planned CAN work.
As for being into games, i went over my addiction phase, used to skip school for a game. i realized how bad that is and totally agree with opinions said in the cast. Im still very much into gaming (duh im on this site every day), but i do other things as well. Frankly i probably watch movies more thna games nowadays, which is quite sad state of work + studies = i get more free time on a bus watching movies than actually at home.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here