Miracle of Sound: Q & A With Miracle of Sound

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Q & A With Miracle of Sound

Gavin answers your questions.

Watch Video

Goodness me, I'd heard of tinnitus becoming permanent before but... I guess I never expected it in someone so young. I don't know what to say that won't sound patronising other than to wish you the very best for the future.

Thanks for taking the time to answer so many questions; it's always brilliant to see into the world of creative people and better understand the processes and overall madness that occurs! With regards to your making music because you feel you have no talent elsewhere, it's a sentiment with which I can empathise completely, although my outlet is in writing.

Merry Christmas and a very happy new year to you too, Gav. May 2013 hold many more memorable moments for you.

Good to listen to all the answers and an albeit rather late Merry Christmas and a not late Happy New Year to you too.

Can't wait to perhaps listen to some of the non-video game/film stuff, I'm sure it'll be as good.

???

It's not cool to like U2?! I know Bono can be insufferable at times, but you can't deny that the music is great!

OT: Oh yes! And thank you for answering our questions.

Forgot about that considering how... Really?!? I mean, REALLY?!? I think they're great, and my musical tastes tend to not mesh well with other people's tastes, but REALLY?!? D:

A very interesting watch, I thank you for it. (Though I must confess a slight bitterness to not hear my own question, I guess that is natural)

A lovely christmas to you, and happy new years Gav, may it bring many happy memories and little wiggling of the sticks. <3

Darn it, Gav! It's hard to control the groupie feeling when you're so accesible and downright cool. I can't begin to imagine having permanent Tinnitus, so I'll just wish from here that it goes away. Each organism is different and sometimes these conditions suddenly vanish. Lets hope that's the case.

Merry (Late) Christmas and a Happy new year to you too. I'll look forward to hearing your old material.

Hey, It's nice to hear you. It is sad to hear about your condition, but if you can learn to live with it so it wouldn't affect your life too much, then I hope you will.

P.S. I don't know if you were joking about Cyberpunk, but I AM sending message to CD Projekt Red, to mr. Masiej Sosnowski to be exact, right now. And you, escapists, do so too. Let's unite great game studio, fantastic musician and on of the best settings into one!

That's really sad news Gav. I hope you can tolerate it well in the future.

And I personally forgot Wiggle Sticks almost immediately after I heard it, but Sovngarde(?) Song has always stuck with me. I guess I'm more fond of epic than quirky.

Roofstone:
A very interesting watch, I thank you for it. (Though I must confess a slight bitterness to not hear my own question, I guess that is natural)

A lovely christmas to you, and happy new years Gav, may it bring many happy memories and little wiggling of the sticks. <3

What was your question?

Thank you for answering our questions!

It's always cool to get a look into a creative mind.

I just looked up Wiggle Sticks but, in my opinion, it tapped into the zeitgeist where the Wii and Kinect and Move were all 'the next big thing!' but also underwhelming. If one can have a song that expresses that underwhelment of course it's going to be popular!

Well this was quite informative. Nice of you to do this!
And of course, i hope you`ll have a merry Christmas and a lovely new year.

MiracleOfSound:

Roofstone:

What was your question?

"What is the strangest/most awkward interaction or feedback you've gotten with/from a fan."

Not a word for word quote, but that is the gist of it. Hehe. I always find it fun to ask people I like what they find really weird. I remember Yahtzee talking about meeting a fan that was cosplaying as him. Must've been awkward.

Roofstone:

MiracleOfSound:

Roofstone:

What was your question?

"What is the strangest/most awkward interaction or feedback you've gotten with/from a fan."

Not a word for word quote, but that is the gist of it. Hehe. I always find it fun to ask people I like what they find really weird. I remember Yahtzee talking about meeting a fan that was cosplaying as him. Must've been awkward.

Ah, well I get quite a lot of awkward stuff. But the one that seems to pop up the most is when people want to pay me to make a song about them or their content and I don't want to because I feel it is low quality. People don't really get that money doesn't always come before pride. Also there are sometimes moments when people want to know strange things like where I live, and stuff about my sex life, lol.

MiracleOfSound:

Ah, well I get quite a lot of awkward stuff. But the one that seems to pop up the most is when people want to pay me to make a song about them or their content and I don't want to because I feel it is low quality. People don't really get that money doesn't always come before pride. Also there are sometimes moments when people want to know strange things like where I live, and stuff about my sex life, lol.

Oh my lord. I do get the sex life one occasionally from my students. But if they started inquiring about where I live I think an alarm bell would ring.

Considering the first one, I imagine they think it is like commissioning art work of characters and such. Though music is obviously a bit more thought and process involved. It'd probably end up with worse than usual quality. Or insulting...

There is an idea. You should totally make a insulting song about the escapist people... Don't tell anyone you're doing it and post it on the 1st of April. :3

Edit: Thanks for answering by the way! Nice to know that you look at the comments and care. Makes us feel appreciated. <3

Thank you So much Gavin for taking the time to reply to fans and let everyone know how your doing. I just thought I should let you know that I wish you all the best and that there were times in my life where I thought it was just hell and really felt angry, but your songs helped raise my spirirs on anyday. Your music really helped me through a tough time in my life and I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Hey Gavin,

Thanks for doing the video! Great to see Miracle of Sound stuff come out, be it music, articles or videos like this.

I was delighted to hear that your tinnitus (boo on that!) isn't going to stop you doing what you love- sure, I'd be pretty upset if there wasn't more Miracle of Sound stuff coming out, but music seems to be your vocation, and to be absolutely in love with your artform is a special thing.

I've said this before, but I always feel pretty smug knowing I got to see you play at Warpcon last year and have a bit of chat as well!

I think your fans, myself included, really appreciate how much time and effort you take to stay in touch with us and share stuff like this with us.

Can't wait to listen to your new stuff in 2013!

-Dave

Ya gave me a few good laughs. Thanks!

Glad the tinnitus isn't getting you too down. Hope to hear/see some more of your music soon.
May next year be better for ya than this year.
:) Not that this year was all bad.

That was really interesting, thanks Gav! I didn't ask a question as I couldn't come up with anything >_> But everyone else came up with great ones anyway =)

I especially liked hearing about your father; would love to read some of his work!

Glad that the tinnitus is getting easier to live with, and looking forward to an MoS-filled 2013!=D

PS. I bought Sleeping Dogs because of your tweets about it and would just like to say thanks; I'm having great fun!

Hey great video Gavin. Did you record the audio with the microphone shown in the video? I ask because I'm needing to setup a microphone for recording voice. It's something similar to a podcast, and I'm thinking about getting a cardioid microphone similar to yours. I need to know how to put it on the room to get my voice and not pickup ambient noise.

Pretty much right after I sent in my question, I thought of a few better questions. Some of which you answered here.

Also, once more I feel that my username is lame thanks to all the cool ones mentioned in the vid.

Ah well. Least I can say I introduced Mr. Sound and Miss Rachael to NYC pizza. WHO ELSE CAN CLAIM THAT? NOT YOU COOL USERNAME SHLUBS, THAT'S WHO!

*cough* Maybe I should put the caffeine down for a while.

NOOOOO! You didn't choose my question! It took me forever to think of it! Grr

It was cool hearing you answer our questions. Hopefully by some Miracle *cough* of Sound *cough* you can get better... or learn to live with it to the point that it doesn't matter. Tinnitus sounds miserable. Merry Happy Christmas and New Year... well New Year anyway XD

trollnystan:

I especially liked hearing about your father; would love to read some of his work!

As soon as I heard about this my first thought was 'would any of them work when put to music?'.....So Gav, would any of your father's poems work as lyrics?

soren7550:
Pretty much right after I sent in my question, I thought of a few better questions.

Yeah, me too. I'm terrible at thinking up questions on the spot. I almost always think of them later.

It happens when he releases his songs. I find I have almost nothing to say about them, then a few weeks or months later I really start to "get" them after repeated listeningXD

Ah well. Least I can say I introduced Mr. Sound and Miss Rachael to NYC pizza.

You monster :O

Chicago pizza is what he needed to be trying!

...Or Massi's from Columbus, Ohio. That shit's delicious :D

tautologico:
Hey great video Gavin. Did you record the audio with the microphone shown in the video? I ask because I'm needing to setup a microphone for recording voice. It's something similar to a podcast, and I'm thinking about getting a cardioid microphone similar to yours. I need to know how to put it on the room to get my voice and not pickup ambient noise.

Yes, they're great mics. Mine is a RODE NT1000

Avoiding ambient sound is more to do with your room than the microphone. Lots of padding on the walls helps, and I always put a pillow right behind the mic when I'm singing

slysean:
Thank you So much Gavin for taking the time to reply to fans and let everyone know how your doing. I just thought I should let you know that I wish you all the best and that there were times in my life where I thought it was just hell and really felt angry, but your songs helped raise my spirirs on anyday. Your music really helped me through a tough time in my life and I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Glad to hear it helped, I hope next year is a happy one for you

Fr33Lanc3r.007:

trollnystan:

As soon as I heard about this my first thought was 'would any of them work when put to music?'.....So Gav, would any of your father's poems work as lyrics?

Nah, they're his poems and not mine to manipulate and change. I don't think I'd do them justice!

Hi Gav, thanks for sharing your answers! I liked your response to the busking question (though I didn't ask it). I've been trying to work up the courage to go out & do it myself & your answer was encouraging. Best wishes in the new year!

Dude, I fucking love you. You are one of my favorite musicians, and I love it when artists I look up to are also really cool people. It especially love how much you appreciate your fans. A lot of mainstream artists could REALLY stand to take a page out of your book(I'm looking at you, Prince!).

I'm also floored by the fact that your condition is permanent, and yet you just love making music too much too let it beat you. Very Irish of you. ;)

Anyway, can't wait to hear what's next, and REALLY REALLY looking forward to hearing some of our older material.

amazing I woke up my housemates With a Glorious Yes when you answered mine It should be known to you a lot of your stuff is In my permant gaming music play list

Nine Inch Nails!? HELL YES!! you've just leveled up an awsome rank (that sounded lame didn't it?)

EDIT: I'm checking out those albums now anyway

EDIT2: and what did you mean by self tought? you learned how to play instruments on your own? thats pretty amazing,

MiracleOfSound:

Roofstone:

MiracleOfSound:

What was your question?

Hey, I only asked about that ONCE!

Also, I did what you asked and told CD Projekt to let you make a song for Cyberpunk. Well, I told the twitter handle for Cyberpunk, at least.

Thanks you so much for answering my question Gavin and for being willing to be so open with us. You sir are awesome and I salute you.

T0ad 0f Truth:

soren7550:
Ah well. Least I can say I introduced Mr. Sound and Miss Rachael to NYC pizza.

You monster :O

Chicago pizza is what he needed to be trying!

...Or Massi's from Columbus, Ohio. That shit's delicious :D

New York style for life! *readies the delicious pizza armaments*

Nice to hear from you again Gav :) My Wife and I have missed ya. But we look forward to listening to every new thing you throw our way ^_^

That was a nice one. Thanks, Gav.

What would you think if I said I felt a bit guilty over killing zombies? I mean, my train of thought normally goes a bit like this: the zombies these days are, typically, "infected". This just makes me think, can't we make a cure? If we were to hold out for a bit longer and make a cure... I'm a massive pacifist and I think this because I know I'd damn well try to find a cure if someone I loved became a zombie.

Hope you had a merry Christmas and have a happy new year. May your songs be glorious forevermore.

VMK:
Hey, It's nice to hear you. It is sad to hear about your condition, but if you can learn to live with it so it wouldn't affect your life too much, then I hope you will.

P.S. I don't know if you were joking about Cyberpunk, but I AM sending message to CD Projekt Red, to mr. Masiej Sosnowski to be exact, right now. And you, escapists, do so too. Let's unite great game studio, fantastic musician and on of the best settings into one!

Hey could you tell me his contact info so I can join in this quest to get a miricle of sound song on cyberpunk 2077?

slysean:

VMK:

Hey could you tell me his contact info so I can join in this quest to get a miricle of sound song on cyberpunk 2077?

Yes, sure.
You can find his e-mail in the lower part of the following page:
http://cdpred.com/

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook