Greenlight Redlight

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Greenlight Redlight

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. "

Read Full Article

Except
a) due an added fee of 100$, most fake and joke entries (which are shown there) don't exist anymore.
b) The War Z was never on Greenlight because the developer already had a game on Steam, skipping the whole process right to release

Bad research turned an average joke into a horrible one.

Grey Carter:
Greenlight Redlight

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. "

Read Full Article

y u no Jean-Paul Sartre?

"L'enfer, c'est les autres" translated as "Hell is other people."

I just checked Greenlight. The five programs greenlight are about video editing, video recording, multi monitor display and a game maker. Useful but....

...yeah.

Bindal:
Except
a) due an added fee of 100$, most fake and joke entries (which are shown there) don't exist anymore.
b) The War Z was never on Greenlight because the developer already had a game on Steam, skipping the whole process right to release

Methinks you didn't get the joke. The joke is that when left up to people they choose the same dross that people complain that is forced on them by corporations. So,

a) It's not about joke games
b) It's not about The War Z

Grey Carter:

Truer words have never been spoken, and I have to say that theme fits today's comic perfectly.

Also, I like the names of the people making the games. :3

Ok, Clever Unicorn's Nautical Travels actually sounds pretty good...... I am somewhat ashamed of myself.

Eric the Orange:

Bindal:
Except

Methinks you didn't get the joke. The joke is that when left up to people they choose the same dross that people complain that is forced on them by corporations. So,

There is no joke when the pointe is shot down by reality.
If we elimiate fakes from Greenlight, then we got two kinds of games:
1 - games that are at least appear good or straightup are good.
2 - games that are actual games, but appear to be bad and won't get pass the greenlight process.

The joke here is obviously that only fakes and joke-games exist. Which don't. Hence, no joke.

"Good" games are subjective, apparently.

Games I consider terrible have been greenlit. Games I want to play are still waiting on more votes. Some of these games are free flash game quality.

The comic is funny because it is true. Most Greenlight applications are just the same old clones and uninspired games we know from the android/google play store.

Haven't used Greenlight after the first week or so that it was released.
Giving people a limited amount of votes (10 per week?) and some incentives to use it (10% off titles you voted for?) would probably work better. Right now I don't have a lot of motivation because it is a waste of time especially since in theory I could vote for every game there, wasting even more time. If I had a limited amount of votes, I'd probably cast them for a small incentive.

Bindal:

Eric the Orange:

Bindal:
Except

There is no joke when the pointe is shot down by reality.
If we elimiate fakes from Greenlight, then we got two kinds of games:
2 - games that are actual games, but appear to be bad and won't get pass the greenlight process.

The joke here is obviously that only fakes and joke-games exist. Which don't. Hence, no joke.

If by "joke game" you mean "shitty rehashes of games that we already have" then sure. Except those aren't the same at all.

Not to mention too the crushing weight of being an indie developer must get a bit more crushing when your unique and sensational indie game gets passed over by ZOMBIES!!! and NOSTALGIA: THE GAME...

No. The best argument against democracy is Winston Churchill.
Fuck the guy.
Fuck him in his dead face-fuck.

Comic is right on the money nonetheless.

Yeah, I've looked through the stuff on Greenlight and found very little I'd actually want to green light.

If you actually look at the games that has been greenlit so far. Most of the games look to be fairly original in some way. So what is your problem everyone?

As a long time browser of XBL indie games, I say this;

Welcome to our hell.

That said, it's an entertaining hell. Once in a while, a genuinely good game slips through, and in the meantime, it can be a hilarious way to kill time.

Why won't anyone vote for my open-world adventure-RPG, "Dean Martin's Singin', Drinkin', and Dickin'"?

Bindal:
-snip-

Drejer43:
-snip-

I am with this guys. Of the games released so far I am very interested in 4 and havent bought them just because my freaking back catalogue seems endless atm. Honestly none seem like ripoffs and miner wars seems especially fun while air bucaneers (even being a remake of a mod) cought my eye for the innovative PvP aspects, thus find the strip lacking.

BurnedOutMyEyes:
No. The best argument against democracy is Winston Churchill.
Fuck the guy.
Fuck him in his dead face-fuck.

Comic is right on the money nonetheless.

Mhee, he was great at speeches and did the best he could. But yeah, America owns a great part of it's economic dominance to Churchill, was much better for the yankees than the brits.

As they say sometimes, "It gets worse before it gets better."

Hpoefully this is as bad as it gets, and if not I'm sure it will have to get better soon.

Wouldn't verb craft be a 3D Voxel first person version of scribblenaughts? I don't know why I thought of that first though.

Is the retail re release game in the upper right corner supposed to be an actual retail re release, and that's the face you make? Or a game that is based on the concept of seeing a boring game re release that is on greenlight?

It's pretty meta and all, but I can imagine either on greenlight.

Well people have been shaped into buying X Y Z, you also get more random gems out of it.Least you are not paying through the ass for it.......

IMO they should change greenlight to be like kickstarter. If you vote for a game and it is chosen then you automatically buy it.

That would cut down a lot on the joke votes and would give the developers and valve a better indication of what customers actually consider to be worthwhile.

Yeah I have been there in Erin's shoes .. some games are so similar to some in fact I find it hard for anyone to consider buying it without just buying the original game period. Then again, I hardly go on Steam now a days because the program just despises me lol. Can't get it to work right or stay up without crashing.

Bindal:
Except

This. I usually love Cory and Grey, but they dropped the ball on this one.

There's probably a better joke to be told about how Greenlight technically exits so that Steam can keep their catalogue curated while allowing for games they wouldn't ordinarily look out, and yet WarZ, which is far worse than most of the Greenlight indies, was allowed in through their usual means. So we're getting a closed of the ecosystem without its only perk, that of a consistently high quality of titles.

rembrandtqeinstein:
IMO they should change greenlight to be like kickstarter. If you vote for a game and it is chosen then you automatically buy it.

That would cut down a lot on the joke votes and would give the developers and valve a better indication of what customers actually consider to be worthwhile.

That would suck a lot for people who already own games on Greenlight and want to help other people discover them, but seems more fair than to put a tax on people who by and large are the very definition of a starving artist.

Alas, this is so very true. :/

Little Big Planet 1 and 2 had a very similar problem...

Good to see you know your Churchill. Funniest comic this year ^^.

Dragon's Lair and Postal 2. Wheeeeeeeeee.

Casual Zombie, name of my next band/website/blog.

Bindal:

A good joke doesn't let facts get in the way. This isn't a news article, it's a comic. Humour often bends or alters things.

Bindal:

3 - games that are voted for "ironically" or because people suck.

However, the main thrust seems to be "but I disagree, so the joke isn't funny," which is inane.

The thrust of the joke, however, is aimed at the notion that we will somehow get better stuff because corporate suits are no longer involved in a "design-by-committee" process that will filter out good content for the sort of thing that normally gets approved.

The reality, since you are so interested, is that people will gladly fill that role.

I'm just glad joke submissions died out quickly.

"HAI GUISE VOTE FOR MY GAEM IS CALLED HAFL-LIVE 3 ROFLHO!!!!!11!111ONE"

/me grabs all offending parties by the throat and force-feeds them rabid hedgehogs. By that, I mean Ron Jeremy clones.

Drejer43:
If you actually look at the games that has been greenlit so far. Most of the games look to be fairly original in some way. So what is your problem everyone?

I must agree, sure you have to wade through crap to get to them but there are a fair number of good games there and the ones that have been greenlit seem to be among the best. (Except a couple but that's my personal opinion)

Another thing that is bothering me is that two zombie games made it through and everyone is acting like we're being drowned in a wave of them.

It is sad that green light doesn't seem to quite work the way I hoped it would. Was hoping it could get new unique games out, but instead if it isn't something that is well known already it won't get enough votes it seems. A lot of the submissions I see already had a large following. Terrible shame.

The vast majority of Greenlight titles are actually completely original, so... yea. Whether the games are actually good or not is another matter.

They should implement an 'Idiot Contingency Plan' into Greenlight. Have Steam only allow original or reasonably good ideas onto Greenlight (Obviously striking down anything that's just a re-post or copy/paste of another game) and have abunch of TERRIBLE/Fake games on the list. Anyone who votes for an absolute crap game will have their house neutralized from outer-space with Steam's 'Death-Ray' which I'm sure they have by now.

Just to clarify, I'm not calling a lot of Greenlight games crap. But I've seen enough 'Original' (sarcasm) ideas that are already released as other games. Because as we all know, simply color swapping characters DOESN'T make for an original game.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here