Zero Punctuation: Top 5 of 2012

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Top 5 of 2012

This week, Zero Punctuation shares the best and worst games that 2012 had to offer.

Watch Video

Yahtzee's windy bottom needs to inhale?
I did not know that.

Genuinely surprised Black Ops 2 didn't make his 'Worst' list for how much vitriol he spewed about it.

Correct 366, 2012 had 366

What is up with all the hate for playstation all stars I am loving the game it is great it also plays similar to smash bros but is definitely its own beast.

For some reason... I loved both the farting noise and yet... the holy music.

I actually like and agree with most of the list.
Except Dishonored and Spec Ops...
Why?
Because I have no played them yet... but thanks to this... Im'a wait for the lowered prices. :P

*sees end*

Someone had fun with the fart noises... tehehe. XD

aba1:
What is up with all the hate for playstation all stars I am loving the game it is great it also plays similar to smash bros but is definitely its own beast.

It came across, to me anyway, as more of a hate for what the game represents - Sony desperately trying to copy Nintendo... again. Cause it worked out so well when they threw their hat in to the motion control basket... 5 years after everyone stopped caring about motion controls.

Personally, I would have gotten the game for my Vita if they weren't giving me a big middle finger by putting Eurotrash Dante in it - A character from a game that isn't even out yet and is widely hated by anyone that actually gives a shit about the series - and making Kat from Gravity Rush - The only good original IP on their new handheld - DLC.

If the Walking Dead or Journey isn't game of the year i'll be pissed.

Wasn't there supposed to be an Amy: The Playable Edition for the PC? It looked interesting, it's just that the controllers were "problematic".

amiran123:

In general? Or was there a specific list you were thinking of?
Cuz The Escapist already did theirs and it was bloody Mass Effect...

My top 6 list was:
1. Spec Ops: The Line
2. Journey
3. Walking Dead
4. XCOM
5. Dishonored
6. Far Cry 3

Huh, if I didn't include Journey, we would of had the same games in both our lists, just in a slightly different order.

I'm playing The Walking Dead, and don't get me wrong, the character developing and story are great, but I feel cheated: the game promises me that the game changes to fit my gameplay and that the my choices change the story, and both just don't happen.

My choice seems only to change the relations between the characters and the gameplay just don't seem to change at all.

What I expected was that my choices would change completely the story, but I'm bound to a linear path, at least on the big picture. Sure, the choices can change the characters relations, but it's not up to the promised features.

Bottom line: great game, unfulfilled promises.

Oh my god! This was such a terrible, unprofessional, biased review! Yahtzee said he'd done 365 early morning farts when 2012 clearly had 366 days! I stopped watching at that point, because if he can't basic shit like that right, he can't get anything right!

OT: I do actually love these reviews. It's the way that Yahtzee has to come up with increasingly frantic metaphors to cram the essence of an 8-hour AAA game into 30 seconds of description. That, my friends, is art.

Edit:

brazuca:
Correct 366, 2012 had 366

Well thanks for stealing my thunder, Mr. Ninja!

Caffeine_Bombed:

amiran123:

Of course it was.. you saw how much advertising ME3 had here and how fervently most of The Escapist contributors were to defend EA and condemn the consumer outcry.

aba1:

Are you not familiar with Yahtzee at all?

JoaoJatoba:
I'm playing The Walking Dead, and don't get me wrong, the character developing and story are great, but I feel cheated: the game promises me that the game changes to fit my gameplay and that the my choices change the story, and both just don't happen.

My choice seems only to change the relations between the characters and the gameplay just don't seem to change at all.

What I expected was that my choices would change completely the story, but I'm bound to a linear path, at least on the big picture. Sure, the choices can change the characters relations, but it's not up to the promised features.

The second line is the important part. The game isn't about point A to point B, its what happens between point A and point B. The interactions between the characters, how they see you, and how you see your own character are what the game is about.

It seemed to have gone over a lot of peoples heads if the amount of people who use that argument are any indication.

Considering how Spec Ops' guilt trip could drive even the most pious man to drink, it's not surprising Yahztee turned into a yager-miser.

A great way to start the year.

:D With a lot of laughs. HA!

Good picks for both lists. Hope this year will be good for us all.

I'm shocked that Assassin's Creed 3 wasn't in the bottom five. I'd say it earned its place over Resident Evil 6 because we don't expect this magnitude of shit from the AC series after a two game warm-up.

Thank god for Yathzee remembering Spec-Ops: The Line, most videogame commentators I follow completely forgot about it or didn't think it was deserving enough

I'm glad Yahtzee knows how to clarify The Difference between The Real Steel Battalion on The Original Xbox & The Fake Steel Battalion on The 360.

Unlike That Other Critic who just bashed the name of Steel Battalion without clarifying the difference.

But then again that was the same critic who bad mouthed DNF for the same reasons as to why I would bad mouth GTA4. It only took him a year to emphasis he hated DNF for its Homophobia. In which case I would've agreed with him instead of being offended by his hypocrisy.

why is Steel Battalion number 3 in the worst list. at least Amy was playable, and didn't make you want a refund for the Kinnect and the game in one go.

shintakie10:

JoaoJatoba:

The second line is the important part. The game isn't about point A to point B, its what happens between point A and point B. The interactions between the characters, how they see you, and how you see your own character are what the game is about.

It seemed to have gone over a lot of peoples heads if the amount of people who use that argument are any indication.

I know that, but why can't we have both? There space for both kind of decisions: decisions that changes the path we take, and decisions about other characters that develop relations.

For example, early in the first episode you can choose to stay in one location or to leave. Whatever the choice we end up in the same place... Why cant we have different outcomes for a decision that is purely about "where to go now"?

The man makes good points, I've had such a hard time making up my mind about which was the GOTY for me but now I know... It should've been obvious, Spec Ops: The Line. it was between that and Journey and Telltale's The Walkind Dead to me, but lets face it, Journey... Wasn't enough, it was a fantastic experience, but maybe not GOTY, same with The Walking Dead, to me the glitches, stuttering and the not so big impact of choices is kinda what held it from the number 1 spot.

I think my point is unclear, what's important is that I completely agree with Yahtzee this time.

shintakie10:

JoaoJatoba:

It's like... *gasp* an actual good TV series! Who would have thought?

Anyways, it's funny how Yatzee's Top 2 are games I would rather not play. Strategy games bore me when they don't irritate me, and Spec Ops: The Line would bore me when it doesn't depress me to the point of wasting my sleeping time, which is already being wasted by a half-hour on average per night.

Even Far Cry 3, as good as I might guess it is from the opinions of a banana and other fruity folk, makes me shudder at the thought of signing in to Ubisoft's DRM BS every time I want to play. And it's an open-world shooter (like Just Cause 2) with plenty of guns (fullfilled by Valve games and Killing Floor).

When did he do a review of steel battalion?

Caffeine_Bombed:

amiran123:

Blah blah blah faith in humanity is lowered blah blah blah...

Seriously though, give ME3 a little less credit Escapist. It's really not that great. Also, I'm surprised Steel Battalion didn't make number one, you'd think not being playable is about as bad as it gets.

Surprised about Spec-Ops and FC3. FC3 less because that it is on the list but more WHERE. Thought of it to be 5.
XCOM however... I would say "Called it!" if I would actually HAVE said it. Didn't. Damn it, should have made a bet. Still, I knew that it would be either 2 or 3 on the list. And it is.

Everything else... not that surprising. Well, okay, Amy was. Mostly for the reason "it was forgotten". And for NeverDead, I am more surprised about the justification, which is basically "it was a failed experiement. Failed part put it here, still remember it for taking risks."

rayen020:
When did he do a review of steel battalion?

For about a minute at the start of the quantum conundrum video.

JoaoJatoba:

shintakie10:

JoaoJatoba:

I know that, but why can't we have both? There space for both kind of decisions: decisions that changes the path we take, and decisions about other characters that develop relations.

For example, early in the first episode you can choose to stay in one location or to leave. Whatever the choice we end up in the same place...

Because it's unnecessary, time consuming, money consuming, and stupidly difficult to implement. Do you want a videogame story with carefully put together pacing, structure, and coherent arcs, or do you want one which lets you nihilistically drive a probably shitty story on your own? It's unrealistic to expect both, no game has ever pulled it off and from a business standpoint it's unlikely to be funded in a manner more extreme than Mass Effect. It's one or the other, and the ability to make meaningful choices doesn't trump enjoying a good story just because choice is integrated into the method of delivery in videogames.

Awww no Honourable Mention for DayZ? to my knowledge thats the only mod you've ever wanted to review. it's ashame it went to hacked crap after it got popular, but hopefully the Standalone with fix that aspect

Loved your list Yahtzee,especially #1 since that game really gave me a sense of "plot twist inception" at the end and followed through with the epilogue.

Really enjoyed the outro with "3" killing "2" and placing itself as the new year,simply brilliant.

Have a Happy New Year!

gardian06:
why is Steel Battalion number 3 in the worst list. at least Amy was playable, and didn't make you want a refund for the Kinnect and the game in one go.

'At least Amy was playable' pffff yeah right.

Astro:

Because it's unnecessary, time consuming, money consuming, and stupidly difficult to implement. Do you want a videogame story with carefully put together pacing, structure, and coherent arcs, or do you want one which lets you nihilistically drive a probably shitty story on your own?

I don't see how having multiple storylines in a episodic game that can get enough funds solely by the name in the cover a impossible task. Look at Katawa Shoujo.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here