Movie Defense Force: Alien 3

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Alien 3

Jim Sterling takes famously "awful" films and sees the good in them.

Watch Video

As a fan of Alien Verses Predator 2 (the awesome FPS with alien classes) I too agree that Alien 3 was the best of the series. It made AvP2 possible. It -explained- the xenomorphs better than the previous Alien films had and even managed to ease in the idea of Alien Resurrection.

I was going to moan and bitch about how wrong Mr. Sterling was.

But then I bothered to watch the video and, more or less, I think there are some solid points in there.

Although there was a feeling of rushing through the events of Aliens in order to have the status quo of having Ripley on her own. Again.

It's interesting that there was studio interference, which I didn't know about, but the aesthetic of Fury 161 can be seen in a lot of other media.

I know I'm just some guy on the internet but you've expressed an interest in constructive feedback before.

Intro's good. I really like it.

It's a shame that some of the points in this had been covered in the past on Podtoid. But at least it's covered in some great detail.

I really should have guessed an Alien movie would be the first episode.

Background music is great, but a little intrusive at times.

Larger gaps between... paragraphs, I suppose is the word. Stanzas?

Runs quite long, not that it's a problem, just something I noticed.

StBishop:

It's a shame that some of the points in this had been covered in the past on Podtoid.

show of hands, who here on the escapist knows of Podtoid?

(if not, fix that!)

Alien 3 may not be the best of the series, but its certainly not a bad movie by any means.

also wtf is podtoid.

I never saw Newt as annoying but really the only thing I remember about Hicks is that he liked Ripley. You're right about how much more characterization there was in this movie, but it was ruined for me because the whole set-up really felt like more of a needless excuse to keep the franchise going (hey why don't we fuck Ripley over AGAIN?) Newt's and Hick's deaths felt more contrived than sincere. And I don't think that hopeless inevitable doom HAD to the message of the series, the aliens were already terrifying and cunning enough. Call me an optimist but they didn't need to be Inescapable as well.

i was recently introducing my GF to the Alien series (she grew up in a small town and was rather sheltered) she ended up liking 3 and 4 the best... i was disappointed in her for a bit but after rewatching 3 with her i agree the move is great... until the end... sorry but the end of 3 sucked.

looking forward to more of these Jim!

sideshow:

StBishop:

It's a shame that some of the points in this had been covered in the past on Podtoid.

show of hands, who here on the escapist knows of Podtoid?

(if not, fix that!)

googling podtoid to figure out what it is.... in 3 ...2 .... 1

They gave hitman absolution 8.5 ........... our tastes don't align. I'm not going any deeper

read badass digest?

http://cf.badassdigest.com/_static/movie-review-the-impossible-is-deplorable

Neat idea, look forward to seeing more. This is hardly a substantative gripe, but IMHO the intro was overlong. I'm reasonably certain the same message could be conveyed in 20 seconds or less (this was about 45). The point then seemed to be showcasing the animation and music which didn't do much for me. Not that I could do better, but still. Edit for length.

IronMit:

They gave hitman absolution 8.5 ........... our tastes don't align. I'm not going any deeper

You're entitled to your opinion but I think thats a really stupid way of judging an entire site. Also Jim didn't review that so I hardly see how thats relevant either way

IronMit:

read badass digest?

http://cf.badassdigest.com/_static/movie-review-the-impossible-is-deplorable

Read the first sentence and our tastes don't align. I'm not going any deeper.

get it now?

This could be a pretty cool new series. I like the idea of sticking up for movies most people don't appreciate (here's hoping for a Daredevil episode).
Aliens is still my favorite, but these are some very good points.

I always liked Alien 3. It had a great cast (Pete Postlethwaite!), solid story and a great look.
I never understood the hate.

Strazdas:

also wtf is podtoid.

It's the podcast Jim hosts over at Destructoid.com. If you like Jim, I'm sure you'll find the podcast entertaining.

As for the show, I like it. Background music was a bit too loud at certain points, but that's a nitpick, I suppose. Think I'll have to watch Alien 3 again now.

Jimothy Sterling:
Alien 3

Jim Sterling takes famously "awful" films and sees the good in them.

Watch Video

Unfortunately for what is an other wise well argued point, what is wrong with Alien 3 is the beginning. not the content.

Alien 2 goes to all the trouble of the birthing chamber only for Alien 3 to go "LOL, WHILE CLINGING TO THE BACK OF THE SHUTTLE AND MANAGING NOT TO GET INCINERATED BY THE BLAST THAT HITS THE DROP SHIP THE QUEEN SMUGGLED TWO EGGS ON BOARD AND HIDE THEM WHILE NO ONE WAS LOOKING. LOLZORZ"

No, fuck right off you stupid sods. It was however an otherwise very good film.

I couldn't agree more, Alien 3 is also my favourite of the series, and one of my favourite movies of all time.
I am happy that more and more people seem to get familiar with the Assembly Cut, which fills a lot of holes in, has a longer runtime (seriously what was the studio thinking - cutting the entirety of the payoff of setting the trap for the Alien, one of the inmates even sacrifices himself, just so the Alien chases him into the trap, and not attack Ripley or the others)although I have two issues with the Assembly Cut aseűwell, I wouldn't have replaced the dog with the ox (somehow the scenes during the cremation, where the Alien tears itself out of the living dog, was much darker and brutal, than just climbing out of an already dead ox) , and I liked that the Alien bursts out of Ripley and she is holding it close to her chest as she falls. It's such a beautifully tragic end.

Glad to see Jim do a whole take on the subject, great start for the new show! :)

I've always loved Alien three. You can't 'up the anti" from alien 2, it was a borderline popcorn movie. James Cameron is good at spectacle but i think Alien three had an almost existential, end of the road feel to it. The perfect end to the franchise i thought. It was a borderline art house Sci-Fi movie and i think it had some real balls for being so intimate, slightly quirky and down right intense.

Like the new show. Haven't seen Alien 3 in a super long time and can hardly remember it, good time to watch it again I guess, will do soon. Agree on the background music was a little distracting at times, minor issue though. Also, why is it called Alien 3? Alien = First movie, 1 Alien. Aliens = Second movie, lots of aliens therefore plural. I guess Aliens 2 would be confusing as a third movie and Aliens 3 sounds weird.

I'm not exactly a regular here, (In fact, I think this might be my first post. Weird.) but as a fan of your work here on the Escapist and on Dtoid, I thought I'd drop some constructive criticism for future episodes.

As others have mentioned, the music is a bit intrusive. I appreciate that it's from Deadly Premonition and, well, just look at the theme of the show, but perhaps turning down the volume on it a bit might be a good idea.

I also couldn't help but think the show was missing something. It just felt a bit lacking personality, especially after the stellar intro. Perhaps try and work in something more, visual-wise for us to enjoy, rather than just clips from the movie-of-the-week. One of the best parts about the Jimquisition is that, while you make your case for the topic at hand, we're being treated to an assault of gloriously screwed up imagery. I'm not saying Movie Defense Force needs dick costumes and shrimps, but a little something to add character to the whole affair would help a lot, in my opinion. Maybe try and integrate some of that fantastic art from the intro into the actual show itself.

All that said, you made some fantastic points, Jim, and I'm looking forward to future episodes!

Cool new show, I like it.

Just, Jim, please, for the love of Jim, PLEASE leave the Star Wars prequels out of this. Please.

When some friends and I went through the films, this is the conclusion we came to. Aliens 4 is good too (AvP2 is as bad as people say however). Aliens 3 also treats religion in the most interesting way out of almost all films I've scene. In the first script draft it was the normal boring religious cult causes disaster thing and somehow it transmuted into something a lot more even handed and clever

Thanks for the feedback so far! Certainly a better first impression than the Jimquisition made. :D

Duly noted on the background music. I'll replace it with something else. It'll still be from Deadly Premonition though!

I've always loved Alien 3, in fact it's the one I remember most vividly watching as a child because of that scene where the Xeno has its face right up in Ripley's, that and the scene where the dude falls into the fan. Gore FTW!!!

Seriously though, never really understood all the flak it got.

Chrono212:
It's interesting that there was studio interference, which I didn't know about, but the aesthetic of Fury 161 can be seen in a lot of other media.

Oh yeah, the studio interference in Alien 3 is the stuff of legend now, it's worth getting the special edition DVD just to hear everybody in the 'Making Of...' being pretty frank and open about just how much of a clusterf--k it was during production.

Hell, I'm surprised we even got a coherent film at the end of it all.

OT: I'll admit that I really didn't like Alien 3 when I first saw it, but it has grown on me since then, especially after I saw the Assembly Cut. It should at least get credit for trying to do something different with the franchise, instead of just repeating the events of the previous two movies with a new set of characters (as seems to be the standard with sequels these days).

I always liked Alien 3, never really thought which was my favourite, I just accepted 1-3 were better than 4 and AvP 1 & 2.

But yeah now that you mention it 3 probably inches ahead. 1 was a great suspenseful horror flick but was a bit shallow, vaguely rape themed monster kills people you don't care about.

Aliens was a great Ho-ah! space marine adventure and one of the more atmospheric action movies ever. But again with characters who were mostly just there to die.

Alien 3 was the first one that didn't just have a bunch of red shirts and a protagonist. And Ripley dying at the end was great. It was the only way her story could end... Until Resurrection brought her back.

I actually enjoyed Resurrection but there's a world of difference between an enjoyable film and a good film. I liked the over the top nature, I liked it's silliness, I liked the one note characters and their dialogue. It was a bit camp and it was fun but I wonder did anyone involved ever watch an Alien movie before.

My favourite bad movie is Jason X. Although I can't really defend it in an intelligent way because that's not possible. I will say he beats a woman to death with another woman and that's a sight to behold.

really liked the show and agree with you on alien 3 but i felt like there was something missing, can't put my finger to it but i felt there was a lack the character that the jimquesition has. however that is probably something that sorts itself out in time.
oh and why did jim not show us his beautiful self? half the audience watches just to feast their eyes on him.

so Thursday is controversy day? yay for in fighting.

OT: I felt that the intro ran a little long. kind of like I was expecting it to end about the time the 3 figures showed up in the background (I started thinking to myself: "wait this is just supposed to be Jim where do the other 3 come from, and why is this still going, is there an actual show, or are we just being shown the intro?)

I felt that the topic was very well covered, and I did like the point, counter-point, defeat counter-point system that was used.

as a question: Jim do you have classical debate training?

a show with jim praising mostly thought "bad" movies? thats an awsome idea...
i do agree that alien 3 was good is it the best? idk... but it definitly doesnt deserve the shit it gets...

Nice video, Jim! I bet all of your fans are hoping to see their guilty pleasure movies in Movie Defense Force.
Best of luck with your new show.

I suppose I would be hoping to much if I expected Jim to talk about my favorite movie of all time, Starship Troopers. That movie in my opinion is the pinnacle of a good/bad movie. A simply fantastically fun watch, yet complete in utter crap in so many areas...that the crapiness actually transcends into being pretty good. Case in point, the acting. The acting in that movie was campy as hell, yet it added to the overall feel of the movie. The acting fit there, unintentional or not. I also love the political subtext behind everything, and the fact that some of its CGI still looks so much better than some of todays modern CGI.

Nice series Jim.Cheer mate!

I wasn't actually aware that Alien 3 was a disliked movie. I always thought it was Resurrection that was the reviled Alien movie.

That said, I'm looking forward to future episodes. Has a lot of potential.

BrotherRool:
When some friends and I went through the films, this is the conclusion we came to. Aliens 4 is good too (AvP2 is as bad as people say however)...

I don't consider Aliens versus Predator 2 to be a bad movie. It was disgusting. Perhaps disgustingly bad? No, it was a terrible, disgusting movie. So many horrifying, hateful things happen in that movie and yet, it basically addressed what would really happen in a situation like that. And yet in an awful way, it's an important movie I think. It's important because it illustrates exactly why certain subjects are taboo and why you don't need to show them. For any aspiring filmmakers out there, watch AvP2, and don't copy any of the things that happened in it.

One neat thing I noticed about the new show: You seem a lot less boastful in this than you do in your other shows.

:) I like it. The attitude fits the subject of the show well. Not that I hate it when you boast but ya do that in a more funny, and not serious manner.

For this topic I think the more humble and serious manner is better suited for the topic, and helps get the message across better.

Well done! Hope to see more!

Jimothy Sterling:
Thanks for the feedback so far! Certainly a better first impression than the Jimquisition made. :D

Duly noted on the background music. I'll replace it with something else. It'll still be from Deadly Premonition though!

Well I think that is because a defense is better then an Inquisition. Though the inquisition I think is a better show. I say that when I dislike the show usually, but it is usually a show(Jimquisition) I still watch because of the quality. Also does what few video gaming shows that make you think.

Here I like the idea. It resonates with people because of everyone has that movie. You love it, think it is the best, yet everyone else think it is crap. There is a few in my DVD collection I would like you to do, if you are open to suggestions. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, one of my favorite movies I am often doing this with. So I love the concept. I also love the fact that it gives me something on Thursday to watch.

Life is Beautiful is the song you used from Deadly Premonition. I personally think if you just turn it down the volume a bit, it would work perfectly. Though I think it might work better as the end credit. That way you always are leaving on a happy note.Even if the person doesn't agree with you, you leave with a smile. Which is why I think you should keep Life is Beautiful about in some way. The Woods And the Goddess might be a good fit, since the edited version of that is the theme to Deadly Premonition. York And Zach might also work well. Though Underground might work as well since it is mostly saxophone. Though it could work the same as Greenvale.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here