Reel Physics: The Walking Dead - Consistent Headshots

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Walking Dead - Consistent Headshots

Watch as Carl the ambidextrous zombie slaying wizard child makes all of the shots.

Watch Video

Hey Everyone, thanks for watching and supporting the show! We are having a blast making the show and this was a fun episode to do. Remember to leave your suggestions for future episodes in the comments or on the forums!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Well, I guess it's good to know that with proper training and weaponry, anyone could potentially survive a zombie apocalypse. Except Carol.

Great episode, it reminded me just how much trigonometry I've forgotten.

Anakinnnn:
Hey Everyone, thanks for watching and supporting the show! We are having a blast making the show and this was a fun episode to do. Remember to leave your suggestions for future episodes in the comments or on the forums!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Maybe you could use all your fancy book learning to cacumulate the odds of a location having as awesome a name as Zebulon?

I was away for a few weeks on Xmas break and I missed the premier episodes. This is the first one I've caught and all I have to say is: KUDOS!

This is a damn interesting show! Sure, most of the math is beyond my puny brain, but you guys do a good job at explaining it and the topics are on geek-target. Keep it up! (and please continue the metric measurement efforts)

You should do another episode on the Walking Dead based on the vibration distance from a walker moan/ growl to a human ear.
In another word can a Walker sneak up on them despite not being quiet about it? (My problem with the show is it appear being a zombie means you're also a ninja as the crews sometime encounter the walker almost up close!).

DVS BSTrD:

Anakinnnn:

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Maybe you could use all your fancy book learning to cacumulate the odds of a location having as awesome a name as Zebulon?

Physics can't answer that question... only magic.

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Great show today guys. Over on thewalkingdeadforums we talk about these things all the time. Can you guys show why Han couldn't have finished the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs next?

If it's one thing Hershel can use, it's a leg to stand on. IMO Rick Grimes is the new Chuck Norris, which would make Carl the younger, better version of him. It just stands to reason that he'd naturally be an expert marksman.

nice episode, i really didn't think that the shooting was anywhere near realistic.
also, this was the first time you guys did something outside my physics "comfort zone", i have yet to combine physics and guns.
oh and as for episode ideas, i think somebody already mentioned this before, but the abilities of the vipers in BSG seem kinda dubious at best, especially when they race after missiles.
and since you already expanded to TV, do you have any plans to maybe do stuff in video games at some point? because even taking into account highly advanced tech/magic i see some potential there.

O.k I know its Anime, but how much power would it take to operate an actual Gundam, and for simplicity lets keep it at the basic Gundam Mass production (GM) model.

How much lift would the jetpack in kick ass need to generate? Cos I know for a fact ammo ain't light. Nor is it small.

I'm not sure this episode really showed much though. I know you can't measure targeting skill but I don't think many of the people watching this scene were thinking 'Gee, there's just no way that gun could hit a target that is less than 100 yards away.'

Probably someone somewhere keeps track of the average accuracy of people learning to shoot firearms? That would have been a more helpful number since even a minor skill failure is going to cause significantly more than 1 MOA difference. Maybe a question of how much room for error there was in aiming as well would have been a good addition?

In order to prove it 'Reel Physics' this episode the guns involved would have needed to be so inaccurate you couldn't even say there was a decent probability of the bullet landing within the circle. What guns are that inaccurate if pistols aren't?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed none of the handguns were cycling.

I had my doubts coming into this episode, but that was a rather interesting way to look at this situation.

As for suggestions......geeze, I hardly even watch american movies these days. Maybe something from Batman I guess? Maybe one of the big car chase scenes.

As a suggestion, maybe you could try to analyze the "Steel wire of death" scene at the start of Ghost Ship. I saw that movie once and I wasn't convinced one steel wire could effortlessly cut through dozens of people without getting stuck on anything.

Overall I can buy the science, but I'm kind of disappointed you didn't try to take movement into account. At longer distances even with optics, its hard to hit an area that small if its constantly moving, much less moving somewhat erratically as a zombie would tend to do.

But as I said, fun episode.

Not something major, and I suppose there is little hard data on the biology of zombies, but I think something that might need to be mentioned is that the vast majority of deaths from penetration and ballistic trauma to the head isn't brain damage, but blood loss. In other words, even if the guns hit the brain, I'd still have my doubts about them hitting the right part of the brain to cause the zombies to collapse like they do. If I remember right, snipers who want to instantly incapacitate a target (as seen in the footage) actually have to aim for the brain stem, which constitutes a much smaller target.

Incidentally, this is also one of the reasons that a crossbow would be a terribly shitty weapon to have in zombie apocalypse (or while engaging a PCP user).

Okay my brain continues to be all

I didn't even finish this episode. There's no shame in taking some pointers in Mythbusters. Their math is minimal but when present, they convert it to layman's terms.

I repeat my previous suggestion of just giving a brief outline of the math and then putting some sources and whatnot at the end of the video or in the description.

I like seeing if the physics are viable or not (The fact that the flying tank was plausible fascinated me), but I have a deep-seeded confusion and hatred of math, a subject I've yet to employ in my 25 years of life.

Jacco:
Overall I can buy the science, but I'm kind of disappointed you didn't try to take movement into account. At longer distances even with optics, its hard to hit an area that small if its constantly moving, much less moving somewhat erratically as a zombie would tend to do.

But as I said, fun episode.

Thanks for your feedback. We had some dialogue written to discuss the zombie movement and how much it might play into the headshots but we discarded it for a couple of reasons... first, this was our longest episode so far clocking in at over 9 minutes and some stuff just had to be cut or else we would have gotten into feature length running times... and secondly, the zombie movement doesn't affect the weapon precision but does affect the shooter's accuracy on whether they can track the target. The physics and math don't really apply to that since we have no real data to go on. We have to fall back to assumptions on the survivors being pretty good shots based on killing zombies for close to a year.

It's painful sometimes what we have to cut versus what makes a watchable entertaining show.
Thanks for supporting the series!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Little Duck:
How much lift would the jetpack in kick ass need to generate? Cos I know for a fact ammo ain't light. Nor is it small.

This is a great question! Also, how much fuel would it need, approximate flight time based on the tank size, how discharging weapons would affect the stability.

Riffing from Little Duck's suggestion about the "Kick Ass" Jetpack, I wonder how viable a man-portable mini-gun really is? Such as the one in Predator carried by Blain.

Weapon, ammo weight, also the rate-of-fire of the weapon. To get any real use out of it, how much ammo would he need to carry? What weight does that come too any how much space would it occupy? You'd think about 2-3 minutes of sustained fire would be reasonable for a few weeks in the jungle.

CyborgGinger:
Riffing from Little Duck's suggestion about the "Kick Ass" Jetpack, I wonder how viable a man-portable mini-gun really is? Such as the one in Predator carried by Blain.

Weapon, ammo weight, also the rate-of-fire of the weapon. To get any real use out of it, how much ammo would he need to carry? What weight does that come too any how much space would it occupy? You'd think about 2-3 minutes of sustained fire would be reasonable for a few weeks in the jungle.

Actually, the US army already tried that.

Meet, the XM-214 "Microgun" It was thought up by the US army during Vietnam as a replacement to the more unreliable M60. Firing 5.56mm ammo[1] and fully loaded down with 1,000 shots of ammo, the whole gun, battery pack, and ammo weighed only 85lbs. It was given to commando troops to test the effectiveness of the weapon in the field(as commandos usually do.) However, the project was scrapped after afew prototypes as commandos complained about the weight of the kit (because they still had to carry another 60lbs of normal gear) and that the rate-of-fire was too high for it to be pratical.

*show suggestion*I would love to see the physics behind the "Indiana Jones survives nuke in lead-lined fridge" from Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I think we can all agree there is NO way he would have survived that, but I would love to see what it WOULD take to survive.

[1] The same size as the M-16.

SoulChaserJ:
Great show today guys. Over on thewalkingdeadforums we talk about these things all the time. Can you guys show why Han couldn't have finished the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs next?

Because a parsec is a measure of distance rather than time?

Also, what I'd really like to see is whether or not it's possible to survive getting shot and falling off a seemingly enormous bridge into a river. It happens a lot in movies, but I'm mainly thinking about Skyfall here as a recent example.

Anakinnnn:

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

It's been fun to watch, even though I know almost nothing about physics. I like watching you guys work it out and seeing the final verdict :D

Loved the magic kid remark and how you pointed out how he shots, and I also liked the "sorry" joke, but the slow motion of what we already have seen was very tiering for my eyes.

I appreciate added magic kid picture, and wish there were more jokes and pictures like that - as you can see it doesn't even have to animated to be effective, and just adding one picture can make a huge difference - the same should probable go for screenshots with arrows pointing out things or showing directions, e.g. shooting direction. You might think that an arrow showing that the kid has both eyes open or which Zombie is being hit in the head is redundant, but since you work on one scene and are forced to show it more than once in the run of your show, even such stupid details could be refreshing (yellow arrows are very visible).

I'm super glad you posted whenever possible metric numbers - when I saw the brain size I was very happy to know the size right away.

The clip at the end made me laugh so much.

Great episode, and Rick is badass.

Awesome episode. Keep it up, guys. I din't expect the scene to be even remotely possible - and even so, most of the shots should have been misses, of which they only show a few.

antidonkey:
I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed none of the handguns were cycling.

Yeah, for all the supposed realism, it really bugs me how they all have magical non-recoiling guns. I suppose it's dangerous to use blanks from that angle where the cameraman is directly in front of the girls shooting through the fence, but come on - they didn't need to shoot it from there. I really don't understand the hesitation to use blanks; this just looks ugly. There's a CGI flash and the same sound effect for every pistol; they don't kick up, eject casings, rotate the cylinder, nothing. Like lasers.

"...Carl the ambidextrous zombie slaying wizard child..."

Started laughing before I clicked play.

Orbot_Vectorman:
O.k I know its Anime, but how much power would it take to operate an actual Gundam, and for simplicity lets keep it at the basic Gundam Mass production (GM) model.

Wouldn't mind talking about the physics of giant humanoid robots. Doesn't have to be gundam: we've got Pacific Rim coming out next year, and there's plenty of precedent for giant robot battling in the movies.

I'm not interested in power myself, I think it'd be cool to know just how much joint stress something like the Power Rangers Megazord had to absorb in its legs, and it could possibly be made of that would allow it function properly.

Just got into this show, great job guys!

You guys should do Salt. (The Angelina Jolie movie)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944835/

Just pick a moment at random because they are all very questionable.

(Especially the Taser, handcuff, cop, leg, driving sequence)

Give it a thought.

deth2munkies:

SoulChaserJ:

Because a parsec is a measure of distance rather than time?

Also, what I'd really like to see is whether or not it's possible to survive getting shot and falling off a seemingly enormous bridge into a river. It happens a lot in movies, but I'm mainly thinking about Skyfall here as a recent example.

Ignore me I mis quoted. But I know a bit about this. It's something to do with gravity and that being the easiest route to negotiate through that area and thus, travel quickest through that area.

I swear, between this and xkcd's "What If" blog, Tuesdays just became a math nerd's wet dream.

ReelPhysics:
The Walking Dead - Consistent Headshots

Watch as Carl the ambidextrous zombie slaying wizard child makes all of the shots.

Watch Video

Hey! Leave Carl alone. He may have been awful in the first two seasons but he's become pretty awesome this season.

Also, that was an awesome video. I never would have thought that all of those shots were actually possible.

The Carl part was pretty funny. Good episode, I enjoyed it.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here