Reel Physics: The Walking Dead - Consistent Headshots

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

At more advanced levels, most shooting instructors will teach you to keep both eyes open, so that you can keep better track of your surroundings, and so that your eyes don't twitch. You use the sights with your dominant eye, and learn to ignore the information coming from your non-dominant eye.

As for practical accuracy, I think a common standard is that a shooter should strive to hit an 8-inch target at 50 yards with a pistol, and achieve 4 MOA with a rifle. In most cases that will still rely on the shooter's accuracy, and not so much on the equipment.

Educational AND entertaining? What is this wizardry?!

Seriously, love the show, looking forward to see more movies and tv series tackled and put to the judgement: Reel or real?

I love the shows concept! the hosts didnt care for them much at first but you guys are growing on me keep it up! and fuck carl stupid ass annoying childmonsterproblem, god that kid bothers me so much, Lori to "rick do what you have to do" "OMG RICK WTF YOU KILLED HIM" now we just gota get rid of carl. i just though of it i bet carl grows up to be like will wheaton loved and hated for being the child they portrayed.

Since someone in the facebook comments brought up Indiana Jones, any chance of looking at the scene in Last Crusade where the plane flies into a tunnel getting its wings sheered off, and the main portion of the plane slides by Jones Jr. and Sr. as the pilot just looks at them before exploding once out of the tunnel?

Dunno if any portion of that could be tested in real life instead of simply on the chalkboard, but there you go.

Great work, guys!

I enjoy the show, i have watched no walking dead. and still understand none of the work you did. But im going to try and use a small amount of it to appear smarter. so thank you.

Little Duck:
How much lift would the jetpack in kick ass need to generate? Cos I know for a fact ammo ain't light. Nor is it small.

I think that http://what-if.xkcd.com/21/ covers it...

OT: I quite like how you are using metric units as well now. I am quite surprised that this scene is actually possible but there you go...

Great Show just started watching it today! I am sure you subtly made me learn something by disguising the learning behind zombie killing. Seriously everytime I was like:

'Ahhh, numbers make brain hurt!'

A zombie would flash up on the screen and hook me back in. You guys truly are genuises.

Thedutchjelle:
As a suggestion, maybe you could try to analyze the "Steel wire of death" scene at the start of Ghost Ship. I saw that movie once and I wasn't convinced one steel wire could effortlessly cut through dozens of people without getting stuck on anything.

I second this one...the whole scene was ridiculous and I actually laughed at it (especially when body parts kept moving even though they were cut off from the body) also...one girl was trying to put herself back together even though she was split in 2...wouldn't she be dead straight away?

Well Im really liking this show. As others have said, it`s both entertaining and educational.
Im looking forward to the next episodes!

SoulChaserJ:
Great show today guys. Over on thewalkingdeadforums we talk about these things all the time. Can you guys show why Han couldn't have finished the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs next?

I think the answer is that "the Kessel run" is referring to a route with a Black Hole. Given the dense gravity of one, if you can go within 12 parsecs of a Black hole and leave, you are very fast. I would suspect that the route is highly profitable but only if you can travel thru that area.

I love this episode. As a weapons aficionado, I really dislike the AK-47 on the grounds that is is less accurate at range. Many people assume that because it is widely used, it must be awesome. It is not. The best advantage of the AK though is that you can literally pull back the bolt, slather the insides with mud, and still fire (still do not recommend).

Really a bolt action hunting rifle is more deadly then what the US government call "assault rifles" (their definition is really a joke, more about banning cosmetics then anything else).

But I must disagree on one tiny (none Physics) point. Two hands on pistol gives you better control and better absorption of the recoil into the body, that is the best way to fire the pistol the kid had.

I'd like to make a suggestion for the show: Do a movie Omnibus episode now and again. Take a scene from a movie that is simple to determine the realism, and throw up a quick calculation that demonstrates not just if it's impossible or possible, but to what extreme. For example, you could spend 30 seconds talking about how much sudden g force from impact would smash a persons brain and kill them, and then figure out how much force the nuked fridge lands at. Compare, then have a laugh. Then, go on to another question that can be solved with one or 2 quick equations, and get in as many as you can. That way, you can include a bunch of scenes that people really want to see, but that there is just not enough questions to ask to make a whole show out of it.

Wow. Just tuned into this on a lazy Tuesday and this is pretty damn awesome. Gonna have to watch these more often. Good to see physics on the Escapist.
Physics FTW :D

Future Episode: Some of the goings on in the Christopher Nolan Batman movies. The Joker getting caught by his leg while falling from the building comes to mind. I'm pretty sure at the speed of his decrease his leg would have been ripped from his body.

RedDeadFred:

Hey! Leave Carl alone. He may have been awful in the first two seasons but he's become pretty awesome this season.

Nooooo...
To say Carl was merely awful in the first two seasons greatly understates just how miserable his presence was.
As a character is a unlikable cipher who is the epitome of horrible writing.
I would honestly take Bella over Carl in that show. YEAH, I SAID IT.

What I'd like to see is a scene from the Abyss, where two men swim from one part of a submersible deep under water to another and whether thats possible or not. Would the depth pressure kill them or the cold?

never watched the walking dead. dont like to watch tv anyway. to much crap and too many add on top of it.
anyway, if your skilled, it is possible. i had handgun training my self (for security) plus walking wile shooting and yes, it is possible to make more or less headshots.

great show guys. keep them coming :)

The bloopers are the best part...

I still love this show.

But will you guys read THIS condom? I thought not.

Interesting episode. Good to know that Carl the ambidextrous zombie slaying wizard child isn't just complete BS on the show's part. I mean obviously the kid is the prodigy of marksmanship.

The thing I enjoy most about this series so far are the jokes like Carl though. While the information is interesting, I'll have to admit much of it goes straight over my head. So I'm just gonna have to trust your judgements. But it's the small jokes and little jibes that make me come back.

As for episode suggestions, maybe some about The Dark Knight series? Specifically some of the 'tech' Batman and if they could possibly work in real life. And, as a small idea, perhaps you guys could try some game-related episodes. They'd have to be more realistic games I think. Though I suppose it could be interesting/entertaining to go with an episode on something like how Mass Effect's biotic abilities could interact with a planets gravity or something like alone those lines. But those would likely bring a lot of speculation instead of facts.

I thought this was interesting, but as a physics major, I gotta say I'd raise more questions as to the shooters' accuracy than the precision of the guns. That being said, I'd definitely question the condition of their equipment and how that affects its precision... There's definitely statistics out there you could've gotten for people's accuracy with guns at various ranges, and I highly doubt that the scene would be plausible when taking into account both the less-than-ideal condition of the weapons and that they're almost all standing and firing...

very interesting, i've never worked on ballistics outside of games so it's nice to see a physics example
on a side note just proves my suspicions that game weapons are utterly useless as most of them would be
considered low accuracy weapons by these standards

keep up the good work fellas

I'm really getting into the show. Excellent work guys! Far more math than I can follow, but a little learning never ain't hurt no one! Plus, the outtakes at the end really show the partner dynamic at work and help with characterization. Well done!

And because I can't help myself, I need an answer to my own question. Perhaps math and common sense can help: In the very first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, during the finale, The Shredder is flung from the roof of a building into a garbage truck. Then, the truck's trash compactor feature is shown crushing his helmet. However, he returns relatively unharmed in the sequel, Secret of the Ooze. Ninja magic aside, is it possible to survive a fall from that height into a garbage truck, including trash compacting?

DVS BSTrD:

Anakinnnn:
Hey Everyone, thanks for watching and supporting the show! We are having a blast making the show and this was a fun episode to do. Remember to leave your suggestions for future episodes in the comments or on the forums!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Maybe you could use all your fancy book learning to cacumulate the odds of a location having as awesome a name as Zebulon?

In my estimation, the odds are approximately 3,720 to 1 :). The name Zebulon comes from the Bible - one of the tribes of Israel. Spelled with an "o" instead of a "u", but it means the same thing.

"Thanks for all of the positive feedback"

I wonder if there's a deleted or scripted scene decrying those who've spouted negative feedback.

The blooper reel needs more failed stunts and martial arts.

BOOM headshot65:
Actually, the US army already tried that. - snip -

Thanks for that! I had no idea the US army actually tested it out and it really was briefly a thing.

Roll on the day where batteries don't weigh 5-10kg and we have Mass Effect style ammo. :)

This show is discriminatory against people with dyscalculus. I like the presentation of the show but I have NO idea what's going on.

Duffeknol:
This show is discriminatory against people with dyscalculus. I like the presentation of the show but I have NO idea what's going on.

in short, they try to explain if the scenes we see in movies are physically possible in real life. i dont understand the maths either but i get the picture more or less if its realistic or not.

@ reel physics guys
i just watched alien 2 (the best alien ever) and that scene near the end where ripley throws the alien queen down the air shaft (or what ever you call it) and the queen grabs this "hydro forklift walking thing", what are the chances of ripley surviving that fall.
plus, when she opens the shaft and the air goes out of the ship, the queen is holding her self on to ripleys shoe. ripley her self is holding her self on to the leader. i think with this air pressure and the weight of the queen alien, her arm should be torn off, or at least dislocated.

would be nice of you can do an episode on that too :)

AvsJoe:
"Thanks for all of the positive feedback"

I wonder if there's a deleted or scripted scene decrying those who've spouted negative feedback.

If you can find me some negative feedback, then there might exist some off camera rants for us to yell about... but it's hard to find any!!! You guys have been extremely positive about the show and very responsive for the show being so new and for us sucking so bad on camera. :)
Thanks again everyone!

Jason Dean
REEL PHYSICS

Metalrocks:

Duffeknol:

in short, they try to explain if the scenes we see in movies are physically possible in real life. i dont understand the maths either but i get the picture more or less if its realistic or not.

Haha, no I get it. I meant that the moment any calculation hits the screen or any set of numbers reaches my ears my brain implodes in on itself. I like how they explain everything, but they might want to dumb that down just a tad bit more. They can still have all the calculations and stuff (hell, the show is called Reel Physics, so I wouldn't expect otherwise), but maybe a bit more layman's terms after performing said calculations would be welcome. Overall I really like the show, it's interesting and well made, it just makes me feel incredibly dumb.

Duffeknol:

Metalrocks:

Duffeknol:

Haha, no I get it. I meant that the moment any calculation hits the screen or any set of numbers reaches my ears my brain implodes in on itself. I like how they explain everything, but they might want to dumb that down just a tad bit more. They can still have all the calculations and stuff (hell, the show is called Reel Physics, so I wouldn't expect otherwise), but maybe a bit more layman's terms after performing said calculations would be welcome. Overall I really like the show, it's interesting and well made, it just makes me feel incredibly dumb.

lol, i see. sorry for misunderstanding you.
yeah, as i said, i dont understand the maths either. i always turn my head like a dog when its confused about something.

Duffeknol:

Don Reba:

Duffeknol:

Yep, pretty much this.

The math went way over my head, but know I think I want to watch the TV show.

Hitting a target with 90% accuracy with a handgun is pretty easy after maybe 5 practice attempts to get used to the weapon and how it feels.

Aiming is not hard.

deth2munkies:

SoulChaserJ:
Great show today guys. Over on thewalkingdeadforums we talk about these things all the time. Can you guys show why Han couldn't have finished the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs next?

Because a parsec is a measure of distance rather than time?

Also, what I'd really like to see is whether or not it's possible to survive getting shot and falling off a seemingly enormous bridge into a river. It happens a lot in movies, but I'm mainly thinking about Skyfall here as a recent example.

Even though a parsec is a unit of distance it could still be used to describe finishing a route between two points. If Han used a route that cut through areas of space normally avoided by ship traffic he may have been able to complete the Kessel Run in a shorter distance than other pilots. The straight-line distance between two points is only one factor among several that goes into determining route distance. In space there are also going to be gravity fields around stellar objects as well as asteroids and other debris that needs to be taken into account, much like tides, currents, shorelines, reefs and such when charting trips on the ocean.

stueymon:
What I'd like to see is a scene from the Abyss, where two men swim from one part of a submersible deep under water to another and whether thats possible or not. Would the depth pressure kill them or the cold?

Assuming they were actually living in a submerged station with an open dive pool then they were already adapted to the pressure as the habitat must be kept at a sufficient pressure to push the water out. Thus they had more to fear from freezing or running out of air than from the pressure of the water. The real question would be how deep were they and could a breathable atmosphere and open dive pool be maintained at that depth?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here