Trailers: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - Trailer

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - Trailer

I am saddened by the disturbing lack of giant chickens.

Watch Video

So far I am really liking the art design, as one of the few who liked Final Fantasy 13-2 (but not 13) this game is looking good (especially the combat, which is supposed to be getting reworked completely)

Dunno how they can fix the story on a happy note though, looks like they have written themselves into a wall...

The FINAL thirteen days? Can we get that in writing?

Holy shit this game looks amazing
I love final fantasy XIII and I love final fantasy XIII-2 even more. Now this game looks awesome and combat looks fun but I do hope it connects with final fantasy XIII-2

Wasn't this trailer leaked like 2 weeks ago?

FFP2:
Wasn't this trailer leaked like 2 weeks ago?

That's what I thought.

I myself am saddened that Square seems to think that Final Fantasy XIII, arguably one of the worst in the series, is the one worth enough for two sequels. Is this their cash cow? After milking Final Fantasy VII for all it's worth and then some, you'd think they'd just buckle down and give everyone the remake they keep begging for. Or Kingdom Hearts.

I guess what I'm saying is, they have multiple opportunities to almost literally print money and they insist on waste more and more resources on a critically panned product.

More clopping? Check.

Adding in a touch of Mirror's Edge? Check.

Plus a touch of Majora's Mask? Check.

It's almost sad to see the Final Fantasy franchise in this state.

I just... I don't know why they constantly push new Final Fantasy 13 games. I just feel that enough is enough. The characters were not that compelling that I want to keep playing as them. I just don't think Lightning is that good of a character. As a solo character game, I was really hoping for more of an action RPG. I'm glad they are reworking the combat system though.

Scrythe:
I myself am saddened that Square seems to think that Final Fantasy XIII, arguably one of the worst in the series, is the one worth enough for two sequels. Is this their cash cow? After milking Final Fantasy VII for all it's worth and then some, you'd think they'd just buckle down and give everyone the remake they keep begging for. Or Kingdom Hearts.

I guess what I'm saying is, they have multiple opportunities to almost literally print money and they insist on waste more and more resources on a critically panned product.

Final Fantasy 13 and 13-2 were FAR from critically panned, many longtime fans hate it, some really liked it, but 13 and 13-2 have been critically and commercially successful.

Granted, I didn't like 13, I felt is was very disappointing, but I really enjoyed 13-2 (which fixed a lot of problems, despite the complete retcon of the first games ending) FF13-2 sold much less than 13, but the FF13 games are still making money.

Also, I hope they don't remake VII, no matter how good the remake is, no matter how hard they try, no matter how perfect the game could be, people will still cry to the heavens about it (and most likely, the whining would come to these forums)

I also think they should finish Versus13 and begin development on Kingdom Hearts 3!

TizzytheTormentor:

I also think they should finish Versus13 and begin development on Kingdom Hearts 3!

With Disney's acquisition of the Lucasverse, I'm seeing a Star Wars and/or Monkey Island themed level in the foreseeable future.

And nothing about that sentence isn't awesome.

Scrythe:

TizzytheTormentor:

With Disney's acquisition of the Lucasverse, I'm seeing a Star Wars and/or Monkey Island themed level in the foreseeable future.

And nothing about that sentence isn't awesome.

Does that mean Leia is a princess of heart? Are we gonna be fighting Darth Vader with a lightsaber styled keyblade!?

All my want! All my want into this!

ForgottenPr0digy:
Holy shit this game looks amazing
I love final fantasy XIII and I love final fantasy XIII-2 even more. Now this game looks awesome and combat looks fun but I do hope it connects with final fantasy XIII-2

Hope that helped!

Why doesn't the chick with pink hair wear any pants? And why are her clothes so stupid looking? Is she special, or is that the current trend in the society? Extremely complicated looking things that are impractical in every way possible?

Edit: 1000 posts! Hooray for me and no one else! Yay for egoism!

SecretNegative:
Why doesn't the chick with pink hair wear any pants? And why are her clothes so stupid looking? Is she special, or is that the current trend in the society? Extremely complicated looking things that are impractical in every way possible?

This must be your first time seeing something Japanese:-P

Of all the characters to center what is probably the last game of the trilogy around, why, WHY, did they pick Lightning. I think it was a mistake in 13-2 not to center the story around the more likeable characters from the previous game and quite frankly, if they're going to end the trilogy, they might as well use the best character from their sub-series, and I think that's Sazh... Sahz... Sa- Fuck it, everything was good about his character except for the fack that NO-ONE CAN SPELL HIS F--KING NAME

Spartan448:
Of all the characters to center what is probably the last game of the trilogy around, why, WHY, did they pick Lightning. I think it was a mistake in 13-2 not to center the story around the more likeable characters from the previous game and quite frankly, if they're going to end the trilogy, they might as well use the best character from their sub-series, and I think that's Sazh... Sahz... Sa- Fuck it, everything was good about his character except for the fack that NO-ONE CAN SPELL HIS F--KING NAME

Serah and Noel weren't so bad, but Sazh was by far the best thing in FF13:)

Snow can die in Hell's furnace though.

Wow, how did they make her costume that retarded? I know JRPG clothes are nearly almost awful (Xenoblade Chronicles averted this... most of the time), but jesus, that's taking it to a whole new level of dumb.

I find it funny how they keep cutting down the combat party with these games - granted, anything they do to it is an improvement over the original XIII's, but I'm thinking it's going to be butt-fuckingly hard to balance a Final Fantasy RPG with just one player. Since the last few games focused on switching roles for each member and using them to compliment one another, I... have absolutely no clue how they're going to work that in here. If they strip it down, then that's going to really disappoint me because the combat system was one of the good parts of the last two games.

Story-wise, not a lot of information here - I'd love to know how they're handling the... fucking weird ending of XIII-2, and what this 'Last XIII days' is. Either way, very cautious here, considering the... 'brilliant' story of the last two. Who knows, maybe they can wrap this series up with some good story telling and a decent conclusion?

...and then I saw her wearing the fucking sunglasses at the end, and all hope went away. Why did they give her douche-bro sunglasses? WHY??

Scrythe:

That's the thing though, they aren't actually wasting all that many resources at all. They know Final Fantasy XIII and its sequel weren't popular, but they were still Final Fantasy and sold well. Look at Lightning's model, the monster models, even the music. A huge portion of the XIII sequels' art and sound assets are already in place. All they really need to do is rearrange what's there, add the new stuff, and make the cut-scenes. I think that's why they're doing it, more than anything. With as much as games cost, and as long as they take to make, it's easier to use an existing property than it is to create an entirely new world, with new lore, themes and rules.

That being said, I wish they would have latched on to a different property. I didn't hate XIII. I thought it was extremely flawed and that its good points were nearly offset by the bad, but it certainly wasn't the worst Final Fantasy ever (that would be XII). The thing is though, the way they ended it... it was all completely tied up. They literally had to manufacture a sequel out of thin air by introducing a time-paradox/ret-con. Personally, I always felt like it was a corporate decision more than anything and they basically had to pull an idea for sequels out of their asses in a relatively short time-frame. If they had intended for it to be a trilogy to begin with, then that might be a different story... but I just never got the feeling that XIII was intended to.

Part of me wonders if this isn't their new model. One new Final Fantasy installment a generation, with a lot of sequels so that they don't have to make a whole new game from scratch.

Also, I really hate what they've done to Lightning's appearance in XIII-2 and 3. Her original look in the first game wasn't bad. It had the cape and the popped collar, but overall it was relatively simple and looked like something that a person might actually wear. Then in the second game her outfit got more revealing, and she got a busy-looking suit of armor. Now it's even more revealing and busy, with like 3 or 4 capes behind it. Also, apparently she's got a sword as big as Sephiroth's now too. Square really can't just keep things simple when they redesign a character, that's for sure.

Shanicus:
(Xenoblade Chronicles averted this... most of the time)

Except, of course, Reyn must forever bear his magnificent midrift lest Bionis and Mechonis ever wake from their thousand year swoon session which somehow came about despite Reyn being only 18 years old.

Innegativeion:

Shanicus:
(Xenoblade Chronicles averted this... most of the time)

Except, of course, Reyn must forever bear his magnificent midrift lest Bionic and Mechonis ever wake from their thousand year swoon session which somehow came about despite Reyn being only 18 years old.

His midrift is so powerful it bent space and time, affecting the two gods before it even existed. Truly, I believe he carries around that big shield just to cover his mighty midrift, lest he blind all who look upon it's magnificence.

Well, the basic arguement that I hear is that they won't re-make Final Fantasy VII because they simply don't have the budget to do it under current technology, the world, maps, scenes, etc... being far too complicated given the paydays the guys working with current tech expect, it would take them too long. Final Fantasy XIII on the other hand is designed around current technology and while the backrounds and such are good, they are comparitively simplistic in scope and it's an easier world for them to work within than the FF VII-verse.

There are also two other major issues involved. One is that FF VII is viewed as having too western an aestetic for the rather racist Japanese. This is one of the reasons why they tried to replaced Snake with Raiden in "Metal Gear", Raiden being a bit more popular in Japan than overseas because of his ethnicity, hence him "surprisingly" getting his own games and such.

I won't sit here and tell you that the cast of Final Fantasy VII dressed practically, but as someone commented in looking at Lightning's Outfit... yeah, the aestetics for XIII have more generally been "eastern", as opposed to guys in suits (Turks), etc... though there are a few characters like Snow and Szash in XIII which follow a more westernized design.

There is also the opposite issue ironically enough that holding back Final Fantasy almost tanked Squeenix. A lot of people tend to forget this but one of the most overtly racist anti-western things ever happened with "Final Fantasy X". Basically there was a THIRD part of the series called "Final Fantasy X: Final Mission" which was held back from a western audience and kept "Japan Only" as a sort of power trip, and to appease fans claiming JRPG developers were "selling out, to the inferior westeners". As a result the end of the story never got a US release, and left
western audiences hanging after X-2. X-2 also failed to an extent because "Final Mission" had already been developed and was announced it was not going to be released, so a lot of people never played X-2 not wanting to end with what amounts to an unresolved storyline. Around this same period we also saw the release of "Final Fantasy X: International Edition" with additional content and difficulty modes and such, which was intentionally a slap in the face because "International" did not mean US release.

You might wonder where I get the whole "racist" accusations here, but the truth is that back around 2000 Anime was a bit more popular than it is now, being in something of a bubble, it was also a time when Japanaphilles were a bit more mainstream and you had people doing things like translating Japanese gaming and fandom periodicals into english, since it had yet to be discovered that english language editions of these would be able to see (for a while). What this means is that you had some fans from subbing groups and such doing this who discovered what was being said in Japan, to a Japanese audience about Final Fantasy as well as J-fan responses, which lead to some understandably strong reactions within the gaming community of the time. This is one of the reasons why people occasionally look back say say "Final Fantasy X-2 wasn't that bad" or wondered at the intensity of the reactions to "XII" that went beyond it's problems, and that's why.

At any rate the point is that while XIII might not be the best Final Fantasy game out there, I think Squeenix realized there is a lot of money to be made from the Western/American audience, and that attempts to snub Americans like that weren't going to go unnoticed or unresponded to. As a result they are seeing to it that the US audience gets everything, at least from the series that are already sold here. The bottom line is that since they released XIII, if they didn't localize and reliease the next two chapters, people would probably get extremely POed, and it would hurt them on their release of XIV (which will happen).

That's my thoughts on the subject at any rate. I know all of this largely because I was nearly a weeaboo once (never quite made it there) having been far more heavily into JRPGs, Anime, Manga, etc... than I am now. I'm one of those people who was able to claim I was into all of that stuff before it was cool, and supported it before "the gread DVD changeover", having actually paid $30 for a couple of anime episodes on a VHS... more frequently than it would be heathy to admit. That interest meant I was kind of "there" listening to the translation communuties and waiting for/reading a lot of that stuff as soon as it came out, so I was at the forefront of the outrage. The internet and fandom communities actually changed a lot over 10 years. That said, I doubt I'm the only one on a site like The Escapist who was "there" for this, but I'd imagine many people don't know this, and are probably unaware (well those from the US) that there was even a third "Final Fantasy X" game or an international remake of the first part of that trilogy.

rcs619:

Also, I really hate what they've done to Lightning's appearance in XIII-2 and 3. Her original look in the first game wasn't bad. It had the cape and the popped collar, but overall it was relatively simple and looked like something that a person might actually wear. Then in the second game her outfit got more revealing, and she got a busy-looking suit of armor. Now it's even more revealing and busy, with like 3 or 4 capes behind it. Also, apparently she's got a sword as big as Sephiroth's now too. Square really can't just keep things simple when they redesign a character, that's for sure.

Also, she's wearing her FF13 jacket as some kind of skirt... It's so stupid.

OT: To anyone that complains that "it's not a true FF game" remember that it's the West's fault, don't blame SE.

And still we get crap like this instead of XIII Versus? sigh.

I really loved XIII, more than anything the battle system, i hated how having a real party was abandoned in favor of a pretty boy/pretty girl+one assorted monster in -2, now the whole concept appears to have been abandoned entirely in this sequel. I think i'll let this dubious entry into the series pass me by.

"Hey guys! I know how to make YET ANOTHER sequel so good that it will make fans want to endure the first two just so they can play this one! Let's get rid of all the characters aside from the moodiest one - put her in the most questionnable outfit of all f*cking time - and have her run around the same town for 13-in-game days jumping around and fighting stuff. We can even save money by using the exact same soundtrack and enemy design!"

Maybe in 2048 we'll finally get FFXIII Versus (same year FFXIII-26 "The Final Installment of the Mog Saga" will be released?) - wasn't it supposed to be the sister game to FFXIII? As in, released around the same time?

FFP2:

SecretNegative:

Not really, but the other Japanese things I've seen have either been great (Kurosawa, Battle Royale, Studio Ghibli) or so traumatic I don't want to talk about them.

This is just good old fashioned stupid, just very very dumb.

SecretNegative:

FFP2:

SecretNegative:

Not really, but the other Japanese things I've seen have either been great (Kurosawa, Battle Royale, Studio Ghibli) or so traumatic I don't want to talk about them.

This is just good old fashioned stupid, just very very dumb.

Well Light isn't known for being the best FF character... They really should stop listening to Western audiences.

Auron225:
"Hey guys! I know how to make YET ANOTHER sequel so good that it will make fans want to endure the first two just so they can play this one! Let's get rid of all the characters aside from the moodiest one - put her in the most questionnable outfit of all f*cking time - and have her run around the same town for 13-in-game days jumping around and fighting stuff. We can even save money by using the exact same soundtrack and enemy design!"

Maybe in 2048 we'll finally get FFXIII Versus (same year FFXIII-26 "The Final Installment of the Mog Saga" will be released?) - wasn't it supposed to be the sister game to FFXIII? As in, released around the same time?

They've remixed her theme in every game and 13-2 only used like 5 songs from 13.
At this rate it's likely that Versus will be a next-gen multiplatform release... which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

OK EVERYONE READ THIS IF YOU'RE GOING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT VERSUS XIII.

FF lightning returns and versus XIII are made by two different people, SHUT UP ABOUT IT.

If you hate lightning, nobody cares, she's a serious strong willed character, just be glad it isn't some pansy bitch who can't hold up a sword incase she breaks a nail, or a guy who's incredibly strong and has no emotion whatsoever!

If this game is so bad, then please tell me why. Why is the series so bad, why isn't it worth your measly 30-40 bucks? TELL ME.

CharrHearted:

FF lightning returns and versus XIII are made by two different people, SHUT UP ABOUT IT.

If you hate lightning, nobody cares, she's a serious strong willed character, just be glad it isn't some pansy bitch who can't hold up a sword incase she breaks a nail, or a guy who's incredibly strong and has no emotion whatsoever!

If this game is so bad, then please tell me why. Why is the series so bad, why isn't it worth your measly 30-40 bucks? TELL ME.

Don't feed em man... Majority of people I've come across on the internet only compare it to FF7 and 9, not by it's own merits.

Scrythe:

DEAR GOD YES PLEASE!!!!

For the love of all the deities above and below, we KH fans have been waiting 6 friggin' years for KH3 to come out and all we get are a bunch of psp and vita games that have barely anything to do with the main plot no one would buy because they're on the psp and vita.

......waitaminit.

multiple extraneous titles.....no real narrative connection.....making us buy hardware that we don't want otherwise......

Aww balls, they're milking KH too!!!!!

Damn you Squenix, why must you abuse your fans so much?!?!?!

FFP2:

Spartan448:

I personally think that special place should be reserved for Hope, but Snow was pretty bad, too. Unless you look at it from a utilitarian point of view, in which case Snow had the highest Physical DPS out of all of them in FFXIII

Spartan448:

FFP2:

Spartan448:

I personally think that special place should be reserved for Hope, but Snow was pretty bad, too. Unless you look at it from a utilitarian point of view, in which case Snow had the highest Physical DPS out of all of them in FFXIII

Hope grows up a fair bit in 13-2... But Snow was still the same asswipe he's always been.

I thought Fang did the most physical and Light did the most Magic DPS? I may have went with the wrong party the entire game then

As I am the only person on the planet who LIKED FF13 (Gameplay and all), I'll probably pick this up. But wasn't she stuck in a crystal last time she was seen?

Ezio's a parkour master and even he isn't so much of a show-off as to do a physics-defying standing flip after climbing a simple ladder.

CharrHearted:

Let me just preface: I have not played FF13, though nor do I intend to. When it was announced, the trailers showed very beautiful cinematics but very little in terms of gameplay, which came down to the turn-based combat that the series was known for. On a superficial level, it was clearly not a game I would enjoy, however the failings I keep hearing (the hallways for the first 10 hours of the game, for example) cement my decision to never play this game. However, because I have never played FF13, I will not judge your high opinion of it to be wrong.

Now, as for this trailer. To be quite honest, this is an awful trailer. To clarify, I'm not saying the game will be awful, just that this trailer drops the ball quite terribly. While there is certainly gameplay being shown, it is gameplay of Lightning running around a town, then she climbs some scaffolding with crazy flips, then they show the turn-based combat really quickly.

When you have a new game, it's important to place emphasis on all the cool things you'll be able to do in a gameplay trailer. This has shown me that the most important gameplay elements that Square-enix felt to show in Lightning Returns is that we will have running from point A to point B, the barest of 3-D platforming, and the turn-based combat from the last game that doesn't look to have changed significantly. This trailer tells people nothing. It doesn't tell me, one who didn't play the first one, why I should have any desire to play this one. It doesn't even look that interesting. All it does is tell me that Lightning is back and the gameplay looks really boring. This ultimately is a trailer only for uber fans of FF13. I don't even feel like I'm invited, and even I have to admit, the original E3 trailer for FF13 was at least really enjoyable to watch despite my decision not to play it. This? This has nothing.

I personally liked XIII, but yes it was too linear. The one with the most annoying voice was Vanille. I like Snow at first, but he just kept saying hero evry other sentence and making lame quotes to high school musical. "WE're all in this together." for example. By the middle was saying "Hope please kill snow, so he'll shut up finally."

I Loved XIII-2, at least for a sequel. I loved Serah, and i loved noel. I'm happy he's in LRFFXIII. Funny enough, what actually inspired me to buy XIII-2 was i saw the ending(stupid youtube), and i just thought "that was so horrible and sad, i have to see why this happened." So i have no complants on the ending.

AS for LR, i'm excited. I loved the dressphere system of X-2, so i love the idea of costumes that affect the battles. I also am interested in the time machanic. My worry is if there's going to be a good story or not. Can't wait, from what i saw in the previews it seems like a fun open RPG, with a huge world to explore.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here