Escapist Podcast: Used Games, B-Movies & JRPGs

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Used Games, B-Movies & JRPGs

This week, we talk about the patent Sony recently filed on a technology that would limit used games sales. We also discuss some recent events with League of Legends and the streaming and let's play that's been growing in popularity among gamers.

Watch Video

Ugh, the Far Cry 3 pop-ups really annoyed me as well. The tutorial pop-ups I was fine with to a certain extent, but the mission pop ups really pissed me off. I think it's a terrible design choice for an open world game that is trying to encourage playing your own way. Sometimes I just wanted to enjoy the world and explore, but the game continually reminded me I have quests to get done.

So Persona has lousy Smarch weather?

bdcjacko:

It actually happens in February, which in the original game, you just blow right through. (The game effectively jumps from December to March.)

Susan Arendt:

bdcjacko:

It actually happens in February, which in the original game, you just blow right through. (The game effectively jumps from December to March.)

Wait, so is there a January? I am confused.

Also where is Steve Butts, he would have caught my Simpsons reference.

bdcjacko:

Susan Arendt:

bdcjacko:

So go follow him to IGN, then.

Susan Arendt:

bdcjacko:

Susan Arendt:

So go follow him to IGN, then.

But IGN does have the amazing Escapist Podcat.

Yeah, the other thing that annoys me about Far Cry 3 is the fact that whenever I die, I have to listen to the last mission phone call again.

And on the subject of girls being almost pushed into being a 'princess' I have a cute story.
Just after Christmas I visited my friends and their daughter (my God Daughter) was a bit poorly. He dad was cuddling her and asked "Are you a princess?"
Her reply was the most adorably irate "No! I Scarlett!"
She is the coolest three year old ever.

I do that multi watching thing in the weirdest ways possible. A couple of people I watch on YouTube have been doing riff-tracks style commentaries, where it's just their audio and you need a copy of the movie, of the Harry Potter movies. And I will just listen to them talk over the movie while play a game not even watching the movie. It's retarded and amazing.

I also listened to half this Podcat playing The Binding of Isaac and the other half playing TF2.

Your minutes summary helps. Thank you for those.

Man that felt weird.
I was watching a SC2 stream while listening to the podcast, and Justin is talking about doing two things at once.

Also the reason that I tend to do two things at once is just because at least to me, parts of my body gets bored, like I need to play The Binding of Isaac (or something similar) while listening to some D&D because my hands just get bored.

I have a problem with your used games discussion as it's fine to say hey used game places are benefiting from this, but there are many other situations where used games are sold, i.e. Ebay, friends, trades etc.

Like... I missed the initial release of Shadow of the Collosus, and had to search for months and months to find it used in the back of this shop in the middle of nowhere. I was so happy. Now I wouldn't have minded having to get some DLC to extend my gameplay, but that's not for every game. After completing it a few time a few months later, I still realized that there was a gap in the market, so I gave away my copy on GameFAQs... Just... because you could not get it anywhere.

I also tend to share games with friends. I'd played Nintendogs and not really liked it, but my GF recently got a 3DS and needed games, so I gladly gave it to her and she loved it, and it's still something you couldn't find in stores. I mean there's a 3DS title that's currently $85 at my local game store... (Australian prices are a massive rip), But I like to share my things.

So... look at it like, for part of the market at least, the developers might not be seeing any money, but neither is anyone else. What I'm getting at is that there are still a lot of sales that aren't a part of this whole "used games conspiracy".

Also, used games stores aren't doing well, GAME here tried to build a business model around it and was buried, the thing is... with most of your returns, you won't sell them. So they may be making 50% on any single game, but seriously there's like 9 games that don't sell for every 1 that does. Working at JB, we had to throw away a ton of games that we'd bought used. It's not a good business model for anyone (About each month we threw away half our second hand buys).

Oh and my girlfriend and I have the same fear as Susan, that our children might be "cool". I don't think I'd know how to handle that situation at all.

Whenever I hear "DMC" I will always have this image conjured up in my mind:

I totally get multitasking while gaming.

I'm listing to the podcast and grinding in Agarest 2 right now.
Well "Right now" I'm typing a comment... but I'm waiting for a really long attack animation to finish.

During past podcasts I would always find a game I needed to grind in (FFXIII was a big one)

Ahhh!! Virus!

I Hate that movie, I watched it when I was 12 and was terrified of the dark after that(I walked around the house with the Nintendo blaster for defense...).

Let's Play

Looooove the let's play called Spoiler Warning with Shamus Young.

Somebody get Marter, they referenced Scorpion King 3

Also I knew that when they brought up Lets Plays that somebody would say" I just don't understand Let's Plays" seeing as how I hear that stated all the damn time. Now I have no idea why someone would do what Tito was saying where they just watched the gameplay for three hours with no commentary but frankly I just watch LP's because they're entertaining. For example, I love this one Let's Player called Alchestbreach and what he does is play Fallout New Vegas Quest Mods. I do not own FNV and therefore cannot play a single mod that he "Reviews" yet I watch him because hes absolutely hilarious. Though I do sometimes watch people because of their skill, I prefer good commentary over anything.

Great Podcast guys really entertaining and I'm glad that this one came out because I couldn't listen to the Hobbitcast cuz I haven't seen that movie yet :(

Let the record show that it is very possible to "multitask" consuming media with a console involved. I am currently playing Okami, while shopping steam sales and listening to this podcast on my computer....is it productive, no, possible, yes!

There was a scorpion king 2?

So IF sony implements this used game block, I can't borrow a game from a friend anymore? Ok so the developers aren't getting my money but neither is anyone else, I'm just being really cheap and taking advantage that my buddy has to go visit relatives and can't play. The last game I paid full price for was ME3 after borrowing ME1 from my roommate and picking up ME2 for $20.
Now I want a complete Mass Effect release with every DLC pack on disc. I think EA should do this at the start of the next console cycle, that would be a must have for me.

I've watched silent Let's Plays of games I can't play , like Uncharted, or Prince of Persia: Sands of time, or games like Halo 4 where I'm not about to spend $60 for an 8 hour campaign when I'm not going to touch the multi-player. But those are examples of games that are narrative driven, not just watching how the game mechanics play out.

I've given up on finding female fitted geek apparel in the shops. However if there is a t-shirt that I think is really cool I'll buy a mens and wear it anyway.

I really like 'Let's Play' videos because I'm looking for old games people rave about, most of which are no longer available. I also use them to 'test drive' new games I'm considering buying because I no longer trust website game reviews.

I think the only Let's Play that I watch with any vigour would be for comedic purposes. Guys like the Yogscast or TotalBiscuit and even our very own Yahtzee Crowshaw are Let's Play mainstays for me, and the reason I enjoy watching them is that they're either really good at the game and have commentary that's funny (i.e. TotalBiscuit with anything MMO related) or they're really bad (games or they're really bad AT the game) and have hilarious commentary. Usually it's latter that ends up being funnier for obvious reasons. THis is where I guess the appeal for Let's Plays' (???) comes from. Also these Let's Playssss' are just snippets or the beginning of a game or areas that don't spoil the story for me (e.g. WTF is... by TotalBiscuit). On the flip side however those people that just randomly watch gameplay from an entire game through and through are just weird in my opinion...

Also (slightly off topic), more people have to check out Yahtzee's non-ZP material.

Good timing. I was just considering getting a 2nd monitor to watch TV while mindlessly playing MMOs like I did when I had a laptop + TV. But apparently using a VGA spliter can make one or both screens weak and look shit so I dunno if all the gamers that use 2 monitors get a booster thing or if its just fine.

My multi-tasking sometimes gets weird like listing to a WoW podcast while playing TOR or vice-verse. Messes with your head.

The only LP I have watched (unless u count WTF is) is a guy called Theradbrad, which I found cos his LPs are named and tagged as walkthroughs even though they are really not. He is kinda funny sometimes shouting at the game and being very average and making the same dumb mistakes I did. Most are boring though.

I only watch Lets plays If the people doing them make funny commentary.
Also My monitor actually is 1440x900, and I do Plan on upgrading to 1920x1080, so that's actually a thing.

I thought I'd just throw in my own League of Legends experience, and how other players affected it. This happened about a month ago.

Now, I was a platinum level player who was ranked within the top 5% of players in the server or so. I have written a guide for the champion Zyra, and I can tell you the base damages and how the damage scales with Ability Power for multiple champions off the top of my head. In general, I'd say I was pretty invested into the game.

Then, one evening I was waiting for a ranked game.
I get into championselect. Our 4th pick ends up picking Heimerdinger (currently a bad champion by design that has a rework coming up) and saying "FU didn't get mid I will feed", which forced me to dodge (leave the game) which game me a 30 minute penalty prohibiting me from getting into a game.

30 Minutes later I return and look for a game. 3 times in a row somebody dodges because they did not like our team composition (after cursing everyone to hell, of course). This whole farce takes around 15 minutes.

Next championselect I get into has two players with "PL" in their username. Player A says: "Gg, 2 retarded polish kids on our team. Free win for them."
Massive flaming and cursing ensues.

I was forced to dodge again.

But what I realized was that the "negative fun" had exceeded the amount of fun I got from playing the game. All this was present in nigh every game I played (or even tried to get into), and it was just making me more stressed and annoyed when I was trying to enjoy myself. In the end, I never returned to the game after this; other people drove me away from the game I so enjoyed playing.

vortalism:
I think the only Let's Play that I watch with any vigour would be for comedic purposes. Guys like the Yogscast or TotalBiscuit and even our very own Yahtzee Crowshaw are Let's Play mainstays for me, and the reason I enjoy watching them is that they're either really good at the game and have commentary that's funny (i.e. TotalBiscuit with anything MMO related) or they're really bad (games or they're really bad AT the game) and have hilarious commentary. Usually it's latter that ends up being funnier for obvious reasons. THis is where I guess the appeal for Let's Plays' (???) comes from. Also these Let's Playssss' are just snippets or the beginning of a game or areas that don't spoil the story for me (e.g. WTF is... by TotalBiscuit). On the flip side however those people that just randomly watch gameplay from an entire game through and through are just weird in my opinion...

Also (slightly off topic), more people have to check out Yahtzee's non-ZP material.

Is it time to share links? I think its time we should share links...

Yahtzee
http://www.youtube.com/user/yahtzee19

TotalBiscuit
http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut

Game Grumps!
http://www.youtube.com/user/GameGrumps

LittleKuriboh
http://www.youtube.com/user/ObeyMyRod

TwoBestFriendsPlay
http://www.youtube.com/show/twobestfriendsplay

For Let's Plays, I really like comedic group Lps. My favorite Lps are done by the Freelance Astronauts because they are a group of friends who know each other well and play off each other in funny ways. They tend to not have much commentary on the game but they just are something I like to put on to listen to like a podcast while doing other stuff.

Here's their main YouTube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/SAMaxwellAdams

They also have some other videos that got lost when they transferred lots of their stuff from Viddler but they can mostly be found compiled in YouTube playlists by fans.

I recommend their New Super Mario Bros. LP

Posted a remix of the podcast. Still listening to it.

https://soundcloud.com/airon-extv/escapist-podcast-2013-01-04

There are 3 reasons I feel to watch a Let's Play. A) The person(s) doing the Let's Play are funny. B) The person(s) doing the Let's play are insightful/knowledgeable of trivia or backstory or such to the game. C) They're just really skilled and doing cool tricks or speed run stuff.

Walkthroughs are kind of different I feel. Entertainment vs. functionality, I guess.

Anyway, good Let's Play series': Two Best Friends Play and Game Grumps. TBFP, always funny and they are super nerds of the stuff they play more in length (Also their extra channel TheSw1tcher). Game Grumps, Egoraptor and Jontron playing just about anything. Game Grumps is a bit more hit or miss in the entertainment category, but it has rather funny moments. Teamfourstar has some Let's Play's, too.

Thanks for the early Podcast Guys!

Best Podcast in a long time IMO, I really like when you keep the discussion on the vecinity of gaming.

Rakor:
There are 3 reasons I feel to watch a Let's Play. A) The person(s) doing the Let's Play are funny. B) The person(s) doing the Let's play are insightful/knowledgeable of trivia or backstory or such to the game. C) They're just really skilled and doing cool tricks or speed run stuff.

Camaranth:
I've watched silent Let's Plays of games I can't play , like Uncharted, or Prince of Persia: Sands of time, or games like Halo 4 where I'm not about to spend $60 for an 8 hour campaign when I'm not going to touch the multi-player. But those are examples of games that are narrative driven, not just watching how the game mechanics play out.

FizzyIzze:
I really like 'Let's Play' videos because I'm looking for old games people rave about, most of which are no longer available. I also use them to 'test drive' new games I'm considering buying because I no longer trust website game reviews.

Collectively, these sum up why people watch Lps:
A. Entertainment - witty remarks, failing (Dark Souls) or jumping at scares in horror games (There's a current trend for face cams, where Lps merge with the old reaction videos format)
B. Insight - Trivia or backstory on the game. Yahtzee's LPs are a mix of the first 2 points (and D, since he plays old obscure games). Shamus Young's (a contributor to the Escapist.com [my favourite website!]) series Spoiler Warning is like a director's commentary, really going into detail about what worked in a game and why.
C. Skill - There are too many Call of Duty vanity video (of 360 no-scoping, etc), but I admit there's always attraction in watching someone do something well.
D. Lack of Access - Price, rarity, platform, age of the game.
E. Curiosity - Instead of blind-buying a game it makes sense to check it out. You can't get a great sense for mechanics, but it's better than most game trailer on TV that barely show game footage.
F. Story-telling - As mentioned, Uncharted 2 is a good example as it's quite cinematic. Other good example are cut-scene heavy narrative driven game series like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid. It was because of E and F, that I watched and then played The Walking Dead long before I heard the buzz about it.
G. Variety - Seeing how someone else approaches the same game. Watching the first episode of Telltale's Walking Dead didn't spoil that much, because I played it in a totally different way. This doesn't just apply to branching choices, but also totheir general approach to combat, levelling up, conversation, etc.

It's not just PC players that multitask while playing games. I was playing Skyrim on my Xbox while listening to this podcast on my laptop. I do this pretty much every week. Some console games, like Skyrim, or FFX, or really a lot of games get repetitive. I can listen to the podcast, or a book on tape, while I am killing Draugr with no problem, then just pause the podcast when I get to something that actually requires my attention.

Love the podcat by the way!

Tutorials in games...reminds me of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

Enjoyed the podcast, as always! To answer Susan, I didn't send any e-mail with Christmas decorations because we didn't have any this year. We've moved abroad, and with no close friends or family to spend it with, plus the tropical clime, I just couldn't get in a Christmas-y mood.

As for New Year's Resolution... my resolution is to cull my game backlog. Because it's gotten really, really out of hand... I need to get on top of this, and start doing something about it, because it's just getting ridiculous. So that's my 2012 goal.

On the not of LoL. I play Dota 2 and other moba with my friends, many of them are super competitive in LoL. It's a very hostile community, but it's not because it's "Part of the culture" It's so hostile because it's a highly technical genre that forces you to play for 30-60min or you're punished for leaving. If you were forced to be killed and over and over because one person was making more mistakes than is acceptable at your MMR then you're going to be angry. Not that I condone abusive behavior, but a game that requires so much skill and reliance on others is going to make people assholes.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here